VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=27031&back=archives

Joseph Duncan... the black and white is Jim Verney aka, Ernest, in his younger days.

From Sheriff Perry:[/quote
Joseph-Duncan-mugshot200.jpg
images

the man was “very rugged looking,” seemed to be in his mid-40s and looked similar to television host Mike Rowe or the late actor Jim Varney, according to the show. Varney was known for his portrayal of the “Ernest” character.
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=27031&back=archives

ED171261-86C0-41A3-8627-61242284E7A6.jpg

Mike Rowe

pics taken from google image
moo

After watching AMW with the updated info on the Short family, I was searching thru pics of known serial killers and ran across another one who I thought looked like the composite sketch from the Short family murders:

Composite from Short Family: http://www2.wsls.com/mgmedia/image/630/394/101185/jennifer-short-family-murders-case-8-yea-88495/

Aged composite from Short Family murder: http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2009-03/45640240.jpg

Gary Hilton, known serial killer: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_GC4zlPbEl0o/S...9ONCI5mj-o/s400/Gary Hilton 1995 Mug Shot.jpg

But again, Gary Hilton's dna & fingerprints should be on record :(

I don't know if this business showing at the above link was there in 2002, but it is directly across the street from the shorts. And there's a white cabin of a truck that does fit the composite drawing of the truck the eye witness gave. Looking at the truck at the above link, i wonder if they may-have seen one of the business trucks from that facility on that night?

If LE was here, I would ask them if they did an employee check from that business at the time, and check the DNA and prints to anyone that was working there at the time. But perhaps they already did, and everyone that was working there at the time did-not match either DNA or fingerprints.

If they did-not check. It is something i would do.

Quick question for LE...
Did you run those prints through the finger data bases for the US Military?

And i don't know if the criminal data bases are included. But what about the prints on record for firearm purchases and or license to carry weapons?

Check ALL data bases that records/recorded fingerprints in the country for any reason. Criminal and Non Criminal data bases. And then tell us with an update, that of 0202 2011 that there are no records of those prints collected recorded anywhere in the United States.

Run Them Again!

Quick question for LE...
Did you run those prints through the finger data bases for the US Military?

And i don't know if the criminal data bases are included. But what about the prints on record for firearm purchases and or license to carry weapons?

Check ALL data bases that records/recorded fingerprints in the country for any reason. Criminal and Non Criminal data bases. And then tell us with an update, that of 0202 2011 that there are no records of those prints collected recorded anywhere in the United States.

Run Them Again!

Question: Since the FBI have put up much of the reward money, were the one's who had AMW do the update on the show, and have been the one's keeping their site updated with all of what they call new info, wouldn't they also be the one's in charge of running prints & dna thru the databases? If this is true, wouldn't they have run them thru every available database out there?

Since there were so many LE agencies involved with this investigation, and with the HCSO and all of the scandal that happened with them, IF the FBI isn't handling this investigation now, then SHAME ON THEM!

all moo

I had to be gone from WS for a bit - a lot going on - but.. where has everyone gone on this thread?

Did the reward expire? No new leads? Clues? Theories???

TIA

This just appeared on WSLS 10's Facebook page:

The FBI and Henry Co. Sheriff's Office held a news conference this morning to discuss the unsolved murders of the Short Family. It's been almost 9 years and no one has been arrested in the case. Lead Detective Kimmy Nester speaks with 10 On Your Side's Scott Leamon about the case and being emotionally involved. See his story tonight at 6 p.m.

ETA: www.wsls.com

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/aug/12/one-third-evidence-short-murders-case-being-retest-ar-1235266/

The task force investigating the Short family murders is having one third of the physical evidence in the case retested for DNA, investigators announced during their annual news conference to mark the anniversary of the tragedy.

(more at link)

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-thi...short-family-murders-20110812,0,1634388.story

Nearly a decade since the Short family was murdered, investigators say they're piecing together new information.

A team of FBI and local sheriff investigators say they have received 3,300 leads about the deaths of Michael, Mary and Jennifer Short. They were found dead back in 2002.

(more at link)

Neither Bowman or Duncan did it. They were ruled out by DNA.
I don't believe LE did it. The FBI maintains records of all LE who get background checks, fingerprints included.

If the girl was the goal, why all the extra things that are a further risk? No logic there.

.22 cal. weapons are cheaper, and easier to suppress and find suppressed ammo (subsonic) for. They are issued to certain military/gov. covert ops.

If the girl was shot in the back of the head, it's because the killer didn't want her to know.

An under the table business like moving are often used for money laundering.- longshot here.

Early article says the wife was invlolved in the business and exact with her documentation. Yet, they don't know who worked for them (migrant workers).

Whomever did this probably knew them at some level and the area. They are probably in Mexico or South America.

Bumping for Jennifer - I can't believe it's been 10 years!

Investigators seek new lead in 10-year-old Short slayings case
Monday, August 20, 2012

<snipped>
The smallest detail, a near forgotten memory or even a personality trait may help lead authorities to the person or persons responsible for the Short family slayings. http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=34346

Questions still remain in Short family case
Monday, August 20, 2012

<snipped>
Several factors continue to hinder investigators working to solve the Short family slayings that were discovered 10 years ago on Aug. 15, 2002.
Michael and Mary Short were found shot to death in their home in Oak Level along the northside of U.S. 220, “a major four lane highway,” Henry County Sheriff’s Capt. Kimmy Nester said. http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=34347

More recent local stories:http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/archives.cfm
August 13, 2012 jennifer short ride marks 10 years
August 10, 2012 Memorial ride expected to be biggest
August 7, 2012 Short memorial ride to be Sunday

And then there is this story, that caught my attention with a detail I had never seen or heard before:

Short family remembered
Benefit ride to be Sunday
Tuesday, August 7, 2012

<snipped>

As he prepares for the annual scholarship benefit ride that will mark the 10th anniversary of the Short family deaths, Ray Reynolds said his memories of the morning of Aug. 15, 2002, remain clear.

“I remember seeing all the deputies from Henry County and the Rockingham County (North Carolina) crime unit sitting in the yard of Jennifer Short’s home at 8:30 at morning when I went to work,” Reynolds said. Crime scene tape was draped around the home. <end of snip>

At 8:30 am, the morning the bodies of Michael & Mary Short were discovered, and Jennifer was missing & her remains found about 6 weeks later, WHY was the Rockingham County NC crime unit already on the scene?

Near the areas of the crimes, there is/was the Henry County Sheriffs office with their own crime scene units, there is/was the City of Martinsville VA Police Department who has a separate crime scene unit & officers, and much closer than the Rockingham County NC crime units were units from Franklin County/Rocky Mt. Va. The county line from Henry County to Franklin County was almost a stones throw from the Short family home.

So who called in Rockingham County NC units & more importantly, WHY were they called in on day 1 before anyone had knowledge that Jennifer would be found in Rockingham County NC?

Jumping off from the map that MrTT referenced above, I have added each of the police departments & the addresses of their locations.

http://goo.gl/maps/knz1n

(A) Rockingham County where Jennifer's remains found
(C) Short Family Home
(D) Henry County Va Sheriffs Office (9.9 miles from Short Family Home)
(E) City of Martinsville VA Police Dept.(12 miles from Short Family Home)
(F) Franklin County Va Sheriffs Office (15.3 miles from Short Family Home)
(G) Rockingham County NC Sheriffs Office (37.3 miles from Short Family
Home)

Investigators seek new lead in 10-year-old Short slayings case
Monday, August 20, 2012

<snipped>
The smallest detail, a near forgotten memory or even a personality trait may help lead authorities to the person or persons responsible for the Short family slayings. http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=34346

Questions still remain in Short family case
Monday, August 20, 2012

<snipped>
Several factors continue to hinder investigators working to solve the Short family slayings that were discovered 10 years ago on Aug. 15, 2002.
Michael and Mary Short were found shot to death in their home in Oak Level along the northside of U.S. 220, &#8220;a major four lane highway,&#8221; Henry County Sheriff&#8217;s Capt. Kimmy Nester said. http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=34347

More recent local stories:http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/archives.cfm
August 13, 2012 jennifer short ride marks 10 years
August 10, 2012 Memorial ride expected to be biggest
August 7, 2012 Short memorial ride to be Sunday

And then there is this story, that caught my attention with a detail I had never seen or heard before:

Short family remembered
Benefit ride to be Sunday
Tuesday, August 7, 2012

<snipped>

As he prepares for the annual scholarship benefit ride that will mark the 10th anniversary of the Short family deaths, Ray Reynolds said his memories of the morning of Aug. 15, 2002, remain clear.

&#8220;I remember seeing all the deputies from Henry County and the Rockingham County (North Carolina) crime unit sitting in the yard of Jennifer Short&#8217;s home at 8:30 at morning when I went to work,&#8221; Reynolds said. Crime scene tape was draped around the home. <end of snip>

At 8:30 am, the morning the bodies of Michael & Mary Short were discovered, and Jennifer was missing & her remains found about 6 weeks later, WHY was the Rockingham County NC crime unit already on the scene?

Near the areas of the crimes, there is/was the Henry County Sheriffs office with their own crime scene units, there is/was the City of Martinsville VA Police Department who has a separate crime scene unit & officers, and much closer than the Rockingham County NC crime units were units from Franklin County/Rocky Mt. Va. The county line from Henry County to Franklin County was almost a stones throw from the Short family home.

So who called in Rockingham County NC units & more importantly, WHY were they called in on day 1 before anyone had knowledge that Jennifer would be found in Rockingham County NC?

Jumping off from the map that MrTT referenced above, I have added each of the police departments & the addresses of their locations.

http://goo.gl/maps/knz1n

(A) Rockingham County where Jennifer's remains found
(C) Short Family Home
(D) Henry County Va Sheriffs Office (9.9 miles from Short Family Home)
(E) City of Martinsville VA Police Dept.(12 miles from Short Family Home)
(F) Franklin County Va Sheriffs Office (15.3 miles from Short Family Home)
(G) Rockingham County NC Sheriffs Office (37.3 miles from Short Family
Home)

It is possible he is rememberig the event in the wrong order. He might have been going though the day they found Jennifers body and Rockingham NC visited with the other depts revisting with the newest discovery . Instead of driving though the day they discoved the murders. Just a possibilty.

Bumping for a family that lived not very far from where I live. Looking back at the thread and all the info on this case I have a few theories. One is the person stating the Flea Market across the road was around in 2002 as today. I wonder if any of the vendors were questioned. I also wondered if this was a business partner or employee, were there any double wide set ups or moves in the vicinity of where Jennifer's body was found? Looking at the murders it looks like a professional hit but why? Would like to see this case solved and with DNA we hope that it will be soon. I have thought that it should be mandated for all people to give up their DNA to be put in a national database. To bring people to justice and closure to grieving families would be a good thing.

well, I guess I'd say they need to check them again. What we know is that Joseph Duncan's crimes were done in the west but he had a jeep that was stolen from Missouri. They might have not even bothered to check data from the west, thinking perps stay where they know. I don't know enough about him to get him on the east coast. Family vacatipns, old relatives, special doctors, etc.
All I know is that his mode of operation was the same as with the Groene Family, and after killing the parents, he took the children away from the home and into the woods. Imo, JS was the reason for the crime, it was her the perp wanted all along, but simply enjoys killing.
Same lunancy, imo as JD.
Whatever though, just throwing it out there.
I will go see if I can find if he cut the phone cords. I know he stalked the house for a few days before he made his attack.

moo

Keep in mind that the Martinez boy murder was a cold case until some savvy web sleuths pieced together his whereabouts and contacted authorities, long after her was being held for the Groene murders, and they had a fingerprint from the Martinez scene! Had they run it, it most certainly would have hit on Duncan! Unfortunately, they didn't run it until after being prompted by online sleuths (I'm assuming). Sure enough it was a match, and he confessed to that crime. My gut still says Duncan. He had a close friend in FL who he visited over the years. Duncan had a tendency to attack 3, 6, 8 hours outside of his stated locations (large range). Hard to believe the Groenes were his first such of that type of attack (too clean) and he prepped for it quite a bit for a newbie (gloves, night vision goggles, etc.). If you read all of his blog rants, he constantly eludes to all the times he has "gotten even" and gotten away with it. Don't underestimate Duncan. I still feel in my gut that this was him. He's certainly smart enough to mix up his MO on occasion, and obviously traveling off the beaten path was never an issue for him (he always had GPS).

Keep in mind that the Martinez boy murder was a cold case until some savvy web sleuths pieced together his whereabouts and contacted authorities, long after her was being held for the Groene murders, and they had a fingerprint from the Martinez scene! Had they run it, it most certainly would have hit on Duncan! Unfortunately, they didn't run it until after being prompted by online sleuths (I'm assuming). Sure enough it was a match, and he confessed to that crime. My gut still says Duncan. He had a close friend in FL who he visited over the years. Duncan had a tendency to attack 3, 6, 8 hours outside of his stated locations (large range). Hard to believe the Groenes were his first such of that type of attack (too clean) and he prepped for it quite a bit for a newbie (gloves, night vision goggles, etc.). If you read all of his blog rants, he constantly eludes to all the times he has "gotten even" and gotten away with it. Don't underestimate Duncan. I still feel in my gut that this was him. He's certainly smart enough to mix up his MO on occasion, and obviously traveling off the beaten path was never an issue for him (he always had GPS).

Additionally, he has a close friend in FL, and their friendship is very odd and questionable, to say the least. Who's to say that he didn't accompany Duncan on this crime? The guy is a Dr and clean as a whistle. Perhaps they should ask for HIS fingerprints and hair sample?

Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of pedophiles out there, and even child murderers. Children are easy targets, especially when they hit 9 or 10 and often walk and bike alone. There are NOT a lot of pedophiles and child murderers out there who are bold enough to be willing to risk confronting and killing adults simply to get to a child. Why take such a risk with all the other opps? It takes a very special (i.e., twisted) type of child killer willing to do that. Duncan has already proven to be that type, and it just happened to occur within the relatively short timespan that the guy wasn't imprisoned. I think that if they could place him within as much as an 800 mile radius within even as much a month of when this crime was committed, it's highly likely he was involved. Many factors could explain why there wasn't a match in forensic evidence.

I'm fairly new to Websleuths, and I just read through this thread because I remember this case well. It always haunted me. It's been five or more years since I checked on it, and I'd hoped there would be more new information by now.

(You can google map or google earth 10820 Virginia Avenue, Bassett, VA, go to Satellite and zoom in to walk. This will show you a pic of a brick building, and just past that building is a small restaurant which was also a small motel. The person who found the Short's bodies, actually lived in that motel. Iirc, dogs were able to track Jennifer's scent back to the restaurant/motel because it was very common for her to walk there.) If you pan to your left just a bit from point A, the brick house that you see was their home. The map will show an icon that says Carter Bank & Trust, but the bank is actually on up the road a bit so ignore the icon.
So, I tried this, and I believe the motel/restaurant is right beside a gas station? Did investigators check on the people staying at the motel at the time? Places like that aren't known to attract the greatest of people, and if Jennifer often walked to and from the motel, it makes me wonder if the wrong person saw her.

http://www.wset.com/story/26300966/...nnual-bike-ride-say-they-havent-given-up-hope

Friday marked 12 years since the mystery murders that shook Henry County. Parents, Michael and Mary Short, and their daughter Jennifer were shot to death. Although it happened back in 2002, the memories of the family are still alive in the community.

Hundreds paid tribute to them on Sunday with a bike ride. They drove in honor of the family, but specifically Jennifer Short. The proceeds of the ride go to a memorial scholarship fund in her name. It's a yearly reminder that the community still has hope for a conviction in this case...

Henry County Sheriff, Lane Perry, said the case is still active. He said they recently had a group of outside investigators go over their work on the case. He said they'll execute the suggestions that were made.

The dispute with Bowman and Lemons was the future ownership of the trailer. Lemons (and I know this because he screwed me on an engine deal) is a crook. I'm sure he lowballed Bowman because the trailer was already in place. If I remember it right, Bowman sold the trailer to another man for a better price. Bowman needed it moved off Lemon's property, this is one of many reasons it is so highly coincidental since Mr. Short was a mobile home mover. I wish the tight-lipped LE would at least give their reasoning behind not indicting Bowman. I realize the technical part of it, but is there ANYTHING they have on him as possible proof? :behindbar

I hope police would've questioned Bowman and Lemons about who was hired to move the trailer. If it wasn't Short then it had to be somebody that Bowman could name.

I'm am going to put this out there, although I will state right up front, at this time, I can only confirm this as a rumor, although I can promise you, it came from a very reliable source. I'm still looking into it though. Bear with me, as I can only use generalities right now, but when/if I get the confirmation that I think I will get, I'll update.

Anybody remember about the Sheriff's department in this local area, where the Sheriff & 12 or so deputies were arrested, and most convicted, of charges from lying to investigators, dealing drugs, etc? Well, it appears this might come into play with this case, as most of us have wondered from the start.

There was a paper route delivery man, who delivered papers here locally, but the papers were not local, they were from out of town. The meeting place for him/her to pick up the papers was almost catty corner across the street from the Short family home, at the flea market, which is in plain view of the Short family home. He has said, during the time he did this, that almost every night, between 2-3 am, while he was waiting to pick up his papers, there would be police cars pulling into the Short family home. He said they would come up the highway, turn off their lights before pulling into the Shorts driveway, get out for a short while, get back in their car & leave again. This was almost every night, for a very long time that he witnessed this.

I've made some phone calls, and hopefully this info has gotten into the right hands already. Many of us have felt every since the corruption at the Sheriff's department, they were somehow involved. I hope & pray this is the missing link that will finally solve this case!!!

I wonder if this could tie in with Michael being found in the garage. Perhaps he was having dealings with certain people late at night and waited in the garage for them to arrive rather than disturbing his family with late night meetings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse
Back