Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/14839/harrington-family-presses-on-in-search-for-daughter

"Dan Harrington said he believes the party involved with Morgan’s disappearance may be in the area.
“Whoever took Morgan is still in this community. This is still a vulnerable community,” he said.
The Harringtons met with Charlottesville area law enforcement Tuesday along with Monica Caison, the founder and director of the Community United Effort Center for Missing Persons, an organization from Wilmington, North Carolina."

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11809925

"A search slated for January 16-17 has been canceled because of the snow on the ground but the Harringtons hope it will be rescheduled.
"It helps at least cover areas either that have been searched or areas that have not been searched," said Dan Harrington."

Just a thought....

have they ever gone at this from the "other end"??

By this I mean...sometimes in a case like this, the "perp" will be found due to what he did/didn't do right after the crime...sometimes even turned in by a girlfriend, friends etc

for instance....did anyone at the concert know another person there who acted odd?? Left early?? took the weekend off?? didn't show up for school/work? has been acting strange?

anyone have plans with someone at the concert (or in the area that night) and they didn't show up???

a friend/aquaintence who suddenly drops out of school?? I know this is slipping back in time...but it just seems that sometimes in a case like this, especially if the "perp" is NOT a career criminal and not a true "serial" etc..that IF they "were" a fairly normal person, then they might have done some odd things right after the concert???

I know this is hard/impossible to put out there really...but just wondering if the "memories" of those at the concert should be jogged??

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/14839/harrington-family-presses-on-in-search-for-daughter

"Dan Harrington said he believes the party involved with Morgan’s disappearance may be in the area.
“Whoever took Morgan is still in this community. This is still a vulnerable community,” he said.
The Harringtons met with Charlottesville area law enforcement Tuesday along with Monica Caison, the founder and director of the Community United Effort Center for Missing Persons, an organization from Wilmington, North Carolina."

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11809925

"A search slated for January 16-17 has been canceled because of the snow on the ground but the Harringtons hope it will be rescheduled.
"It helps at least cover areas either that have been searched or areas that have not been searched," said Dan Harrington."

If MH's car was in fact parked inside the Emmet/Ivy Parking Garage, then they should search the garage. They need to examine the floor plans in depth. Sometimes esp. older cities have service tunnels underground which have fallen into disuse. Perhaps a tunnel runs under the railroad tracks from the Emmet/Ivy Parking garage to the Cage/other UVA area. How far away is the nearest RR station? Maybe MH arrived at the parking garage safely, but met with foul play inside the garage, which are often notorious for crime. Locally, does anyone know if this particular parking garage has major safety issues?

Just a thought....

By this I mean...sometimes in a case like this, the "perp" will be found due to what he did/didn't do right after the crime...sometimes even turned in by a girlfriend, friends etc

for instance....did anyone at the concert know another person there who acted odd?? Left early?? took the weekend off?? didn't show up for school/work? has been acting strange?

anyone have plans with someone at the concert (or in the area that night) and they didn't show up???

a friend/aquaintence who suddenly drops out of school?? I know this is slipping back in time...but it just seems that sometimes in a case like this, especially if the "perp" is NOT a career criminal and not a true "serial" etc..that IF they "were" a fairly normal person, then they might have done some odd things right after the concert???

I know this is hard/impossible to put out there really...but just wondering if the "memories" of those at the concert should be jogged??

I recall at least one LE statement asking precisely this, so I assume nothing of note has turned up (or is being worked on but not revealed). Same as anyone who loaned MH a cell phone or saw her get in a car or even just a car stop in the middle of the road...

If MH's car was in fact parked inside the Emmet/Ivy Parking Garage, then they should search the garage. They need to examine the floor plans in depth. Sometimes esp. older cities have service tunnels underground which have fallen into disuse. Perhaps a tunnel runs under the railroad tracks from the Emmet/Ivy Parking garage to the Cage/other UVA area. How far away is the nearest RR station? Maybe MH arrived at the parking garage safely, but met with foul play inside the garage, which are often notorious for crime. Locally, does anyone know if this particular parking garage has major safety issues?

The Emmet/Ivy parking garage is a relatively new (and at the time controversial) addition to UVa...I'm thinking in the last ten years? Don't remember what was there beforehand. Maybe makes the tunnel idea less likely.

The nearest train station is Amtrak, about 1.3 miles away in a straight shot. No trains running that night, according to the schedule, either direction.

Don't know about crime in that garage, but I have to say up until MH, I always thought of C'ville as a fairly sheltered place. Others have opined that things are kept under wraps, and actually, I found that violent crime in C'ville is higher than the state average, once I looked it up (in relation to MH).

Also, I was surprised how many RSO's are in the area, including at least two who work at UVa (and another who is wanted for failing to re-register recently, and had apparently moved from Ruckersville, up 29, near 33, on the way to JMU, to a trailer park in C'ville since last registering).

Walker, that is a brilliant idea to search the garage. The tunnels too, if they exist.
cover-map-web.jpg

I recall at least one LE statement asking precisely this, so I assume nothing of note has turned up (or is being worked on but not revealed). Same as anyone who loaned MH a cell phone or saw her get in a car or even just a car stop in the middle of the road...

Well I just think it might be good if they did some follow up "requests" for that info

who knows what might turn up?? "This guy who was our roommate went to the concert and he moved out, dropped out of school, went back to Ohio in November"....or "I dated this guy for a month and then he went to the concert, and was "busy" all the time....he had his van detailed and recarpeted"...
or whatever...I just made up the above "statements" but I have seen tv "true crime" shows where the link on a case with few clues WAS solved by some fluke like that...

there could be someone somewhere who knows something...or they may not even "realize" they know something??

A post got me thinking.
Think back…did anyone you know have marks, abrasion, or bruises on them after Sunday, October 18 or Monday, October 19, 2009? Did anyone you know act strange or differently than when you last saw them the previous Friday, October 16, 2009?

Well I just think it might be good if they did some follow up "requests" for that info

who knows what might turn up?? "This guy who was our roommate went to the concert and he moved out, dropped out of school, went back to Ohio in November"....or "I dated this guy for a month and then he went to the concert, and was "busy" all the time....he had his van detailed and recarpeted"...
or whatever...I just made up the above "statements" but I have seen tv "true crime" shows where the link on a case with few clues WAS solved by some fluke like that...

there could be someone somewhere who knows something...or they may not even "realize" they know something??

You make a good point. Someone out there might hold the key and possibly not even know it...but how do you trigger that memory? Obviously the media coverage that Morgan is receiving now isn't doing it.

You make a good point. Someone out there might hold the key and possibly not even know it...but how do you trigger that memory? Obviously the media coverage that Morgan is receiving now isn't doing it.

I brought this up in the Brittanee Drexel thread.

The media outlets that have been used - a lot of people MH's age and Britt's age - just simply do not follow news shows (CNN, FOX, NG, etc.)....and a lot of people find Dr. Phil uninteresting or flaky (just some of the comments I've heard from my friends).

BD's story aired on Maury Povich - which seems to capture a younger audience. And that's the key - need to find shows that appeal to a younger audience - where there can be an interview held or possibly a commercial during programming.

Not everyone that attended the concert was from VA and we don't know if the perp is from VA or not. Not everyone who attended that concert may know that MH is missing.

I brought this up in the Brittanee Drexel thread.

The media outlets that have been used - a lot of people MH's age and Britt's age - just simply do not follow news shows (CNN, FOX, NG, etc.)....and a lot of people find Dr. Phil uninteresting or flaky (just some of the comments I've heard from my friends).

BD's story aired on Maury Povich - which seems to capture a younger audience. And that's the key - need to find shows that appeal to a younger audience - where there can be an interview held or possibly a commercial during programming.

Not everyone that attended the concert was from VA and we don't know if the perp is from VA or not. Not everyone who attended that concert may know that MH is missing.

I wonder if anyone has contacted ticket master about maybe sending an email to everyone who bought tickets online to that show. That may have been mentioned early on.

Walker, that is a brilliant idea to search the garage. The tunnels too, if they exist.
cover-map-web.jpg

This map shows MH disappearing from the Lannigan Field lot, whereas the hitchhiking spot on the bridge, such as has been reported by LE, is probably about 50 yards away, and actually slightly off the map as shown. Small point, but yet another example of mixed information out there. Maybe the Hook generated the map (with the large arrow) earlier than the bridge reports.

But it got me thinking that maybe the Hook is actually (inadvertently) right, that she didn't get in a car on the bridge, but walked back to the lot, where her purse was dumped as whatever happened in her disappearance happened. That at least puts her purse in the right place, and explains why nobody has come forward who saw her getting into a car on the bridge or a car stopping in the middle of Copeley Road.

Let's say she was really hitchhiking (looking for a random ride, which would mean she didn't need to borrow a cell phone...thus no reports of that), on the bridge. A car pulls past, touches the brakes, and then goes another 20 yards or so (okay, I said 50 above, but it depends where she was on the bridge and which direction she was moving, if she was) to turn left into the Lannigan Field lot. MH, thinking it's a safe situation, follows (maybe they even spoke briefly through the car window on the bridge..."where you going?" "JMU" "Me, too" or whatever, and maybe the driver even said "I can't pull over here, I'll pull in up there"). That nobody saw any of whatever happened is kind of surprising, but it was a dark, cold, lightly raining night, and the area isn't really central UVa grounds. Regardless, something happening in the Lannigan Field lot would be a lot less observable than on the bridge.

And that applies even if whoever it was was someone known to MH, though I was exploring a more random thread here.

Just a thought....

This is an excellent post, LogicalMinds, and it would be great if someone at the concert noticed maybe a friend left early, he had "defensive wounds" which he explained away as bruises from drunken falling, something to that effect.

Someone had to have notice a friend acting "off" that night.
Maybe they didn't think much of it at the time, however even the littlest thing such as someone leaving the concert early, and then when asked why by friends they said, oh they felt sick, something like that could turn out to be very important.

Most people don't go to concerts by themselves, usually people go with friends, or they meet up with their friends there.

If the perp is someone who is around Morgan's age (acquaintance, etc) most likely they would have met up with friends at the show. (given the possibility she was followed outside from the concert)
The perp would have friends, they would have noticed perp left early, maybe he gave an excuse they thought nothing of.

The behavior of the perp would have been "off" for the next week, as he'd most likely be fearful of getting caught.
Someone, family, friends, might have noticed him acting odd when Morgan was mentioned on the news, in general, etc.

Very good point Walker, is there any way that we can find out if their are tunnels around that area?
A lot of cities have underground tunnels, in fact a lot of colleges do as well if they are older buildings.

The college i went to school at had all the dorms and class buildings connected by a tunnel system.

When i was there, we were able to get to one dorm to another as well as some of the class buildings via this tunnel system.

Since then it's been closed off for safety reasons, however tunnel systems are a good possibility.

Would the RV lot/ field area have a tunnel system as well? Even if it's just drainage, yet big enough for a human to access? Locals might know the answers to these..

Very good point Walker, is there any way that we can find out if their are tunnels around that area?
A lot of cities have underground tunnels, in fact a lot of colleges do as well if they are older buildings.

The college i went to school at had all the dorms and class buildings connected by a tunnel system.

When i was there, we were able to get to one dorm to another as well as some of the class buildings via this tunnel system.

Since then it's been closed off for safety reasons, however tunnel systems are a good possibility.

Would the RV lot/ field area have a tunnel system as well? Even if it's just drainage, yet big enough for a human to access? Locals might know the answers to these..

UVA does have tunnels!

http://theboldandtheruthless.blogspot.com/2008/02/steam-tunnels.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevincollins123/2803396795/

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?ca...28104&ShowArchiveArticle_ID=11432008073295278

So does JMU.

Just popping in, not much time to catch up. Are we talking about UVA in regards to the tunnels? JMU or VT? Let me know... I have friends that go to all of these schools - I can easily ask them any time.

If it turns out they do have tunnels, I'll find out if they're used. My school has tunnels too but only some are used. The tunnels between classes are used often, the ones between the dorms are shut down because of too much suspicious activity.

I can't imagine someone leaving any clues - especially a body - in a place where such a high concentration of people frequent such a relatively small area.

UVA, JMU, VT all of them if they do have tunnels...

Quiqui mentioned that UVA has tunnels; now i wondering if campus security has security cameras in parts of different tunnels. Our college's did in certain sections.

However it may be possible that tunnels are irrelevant, and that the perp got Morgan right into his car after manipulating her into being comfortable enough.

Tunnels are good i guess to not rule anything out, cover everything just in case.

Neither the old system nor the new system at UVa (referenced in the first link above) seems to be close to the Emmet/Ivy garage, nor JPJ and parts north. From what I can tell, the farthest north the new system goes is to Memorial Gym (but the map isn't labelled), probably half a mile from Copeley Bridge. The old system is mostly on main grounds by the Rotunda (and where the 3 a.m. reported but unconfirmed sightings took place).

Here's a map I found following that link a bit more:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3N7UQrOFsrU/SHPESNraoYI/AAAAAAAAAAY/PRXOQF2SvFc/s1600-h/tunnels3.png

Also, from the intersection of Copeley Road/Ivy Road (a bit south of the Copeley Road Bridge), it is 0.6 miles (on Alderman) to the intersection with McCormick Road, where the entrance to the tunnels that is mentioned in the third link is, but I don't know where along McCormick the unlocked entrance(s) to the tunnels are (McCormick runs mostly E-W through the main part of UVa's grounds, but also up a hill to the Observatory).

Here is the article that was in the local Charlottesville paper today covering the meeting the Harrington’s had yesterday.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/n...le/family_area_not_as_safe_as_you_think/50880

Thank you for the link, Ghost.

From Ghost's link:

"Harrington said police reports of his daughter’s behavior the night of her disappearance are not in keeping with her personality. He noted, however, that drinking is common among college students, especially those attending concerts. He also said the family has been pleased with police efforts to date.
“We’ve had nothing but complete cooperation, competence and coordinated efforts between the [departments],” he said."
http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/n...le/family_area_not_as_safe_as_you_think/50880

I just wanted to copy this segment of the article, as it shows that the Harringtons are happy with LE and their work on their daughter's case.

Time to time, some on here have doubted LE's competence in this case.
If Morgan's parents are happy with LE, then they are doing a good job!

IMO, it's interesting that they would plan a search when there is snow on the ground, i would think that snow would put a damper on discovery of things if it were to be a people on foot grid type search. There may be leavefall under the snow as well.. I hope it will be an early winter this year and not snow until the end of March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marytb