Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DO we have her call records? Why would someone take the battery?

I like to stick to the simplest explanation possible. Here's what it is (IMO)

She went to the concert as described by the friends. In her car, the guy drove, they all entered the arena. I do think the girls were drinking in the car or at JMU or both. I think she wasn't drunk, but intoxicated and judgment impaired. Not doing anything exotic, not being pursued by a stalker... just drinking girlie drinks in the backseat of the car.

She left them... not sure exactly why... possibly just wanted to take some pics and then had her supposed minor accident and then went to the ladies room or she was already on her way to the ladies room when she fell, whatever... I believe she did have a scratch and did go to the ladies.

After the ladies room, I think she was unnerved b/c stumbling when walking down the stairs of an arena like that is scary. I've done (without injury) in Cassel Coliseum at VT, the stairs are steep, I practically get vertigo just trying to get down them.. add a crowd of people coming the opposite direction, and the embarrassment of having fell in front of a crowd of people.. I'd have been a wreck. I think she was a smoker (my teenage niece tells me that unicorn= cigarette or girl(s) smoking outside, which I guess is an apt description) and for whatever reason didn't realize the ramifications of going outside to smoke. Yes there was a smoking section but my guess is that she just took the most direct path to a smoke without thought to the end result. Yes, there should have been people around to warn her that she'd be out for good, but I think that they must have been someplace else because somehow she got outside where she didn't really want to be.

Once outside she discovered her predicament and walked around trying to problem solve. She made the phone call back to her friends as they said but my guess is they are making up parts of the convo b/c they couldn't really hear everything she said. Their memory of what they "heard" is a blend of what they actually heard and what they think is the best cover story for them. I honestly believe they know nothing besides what they've said.

So after the phone call, she texted the friend, probably as a call for help, he doesn't respond or can't help. Next plan, the ATM machine as a attempt to get enough money out of it to buy another ticket.

So I think she was walking on the bridge (not really hitchhiking but I think she might have been acting weird due to the booze so I can see how it might have looked like hitchhiking) either to or from the bank and was stopped by the perp. It was misty rain and cold either 1. he offered her a ride to the bank or 2. she had failed at the ATM and got in the car with him b/c he seemed nice (harmless) and at that point she had no other options left to her (by her own estimation.)

My guess is the 2nd option.. she thought she was all out of solutions and the guy who picked her up seemed nice. Maybe he offered her company/shelter till she could meet up with her friends again. Maybe she thought it was a romantic adventure to meet a guy this way and hang out with him. And I do think it was an opportunistic thing for the perp, too... girl walking by, lets see if she wants to...whatever he had in mind.... then when she didn't, he did what perps do....

Of course that would mean he was young, good looking and personable instead of old, scary looking and threatening.. or old, weird looking and acting like a freak. Eliminating profiles of the perp seems to be a lot easier than coming up with one.

The purse is the sticky wicket... I don't think she lost it.. it was returned, as unlikely as that seems. And however it was returned it was done so without being noticed by anyone. Lucky perp. But really if he found the bag in his vehicle after the fact.. after he had gotten rid of her, it would almost make the most sense to go toss it someplace she might have been before he met her instead of somewhere nobody would expect her to be. To me this would be a smart decision... too smart... it almost doesn't fit. Hmmm....

Does the ATM have on camera?

IIRC, the only thing we know about that is a "no comment" answer from the bank to a reporter from The Hook (local paper in Charlottesville)

I looked briefly but couldn't find a link.. it was some time back. I might be wrong, but in any event, I'm certain no images of her have been released at the bank or anyplace else.

IIRC, the only thing we know about that is a "no comment" answer from the bank to a reporter from The Hook (local paper in Charlottesville)

I looked briefly but couldn't find a link.. it was some time back. I might be wrong, but in any event, I'm certain no images of her have been released at the bank or anyplace else.

i had always assumed that all ATMs had carmera on them, but i don't know this for a fact. I know some one who works with ATMs i'll ask them.

I like to stick to the simplest explanation possible.

Me too. I'm guessing that she dropped the phone, it popped apart, and she picked up the phone pieces but missed the battery. She apparently was stumbling a bit...

Quoting post #520 by newshound6

I really want to participate but now wonder if what I've been saying is driving people away. It would be helpful if you pointed us newbies to exactly where it's shown that she was there.

Why not try doing a blog on it like I've been doing with links posted? There's so many posts that it's hard for us to read every one. I think this is the 4th new post since I've started reading/following.

IMO the deal is this it's a discussion board, which means people throw things out there and they get discussed. From my former post I’m sure you're aware that I differ in opinion from you on the where she was there or not, but if I responded to something you post its in the interest of discussion it’s not b/c you are annoying me or that I’m trying to suppress or discount your opinion. Sometimes I (and possibly others but I’ll only speak for myself) word things in a way that is maybe not constructive and sometimes we all can be sensitive, but honestly we move on and things are generally good. Post whatever you want (within the rules and the bounds or reason) if someone has a problem with it, it's a 'them problem' and to hell with them. At the same time understand if someone has a difference of opinion then them expressing it is not an attack it just discussion.

P.S. – I think people get short on this issue b/c its been discussed so many times and no one can say for sure one way or the other.

i had always assumed that all ATMs had carmera on them, but i don't know this for a fact. I know some one who works with ATMs i'll ask them.

Yes ATM's do have cameras on them. I worked at a bank for many years and sometimes I had to get clips from the tapes for the police.

Me too. I'm guessing that she dropped the phone, it popped apart, and she picked up the phone pieces but missed the battery. She apparently was stumbling a bit...

this is what I think happened, too... I recall at one point it being said by LE or her family that it wasn't an uncommon thing for her phone to be separated from its battery. I had a phone like that, if I dropped it in a parking lot, the back would pop off, the battery go flying and I'd be scrambling around looking for it under my car. If the battery cover fell off in my purse the battery would fall out and be floating around covered in graham cracker crumbs (I have a toddler)

I think she was impaired and an entire series of unfortunate things just kept happening, like a bad sitcom. I know its a little unlikely but a lot more likely than some of the other scenarios. But when you think about it, maybe that's what real life is like.. you let yourself become impaired (by whatever..drugs, alcohol, fatigue.. it just happens) then your decision making starts to slip. Something goes wrong.. but at that point you're not just going to snap out of it and fix your predicament in the most logical way possible. Instead you are going to make another less than brilliant choice and then another.. until something happens to stop you.. either you're rescued or you crash, either way no further decisions need to be made, at least not by you.

Why would her killer bring back the purse to the arena area? If that was the case. Why would they chance getting caught at that point?

Only 2 theories I can think of:

A) The Morgan sightings on Copley Bridge are simply false, and she was likely abducted where her purse was found, in a "blitz attack", and never made it to the bridge.

B) Maybe the perpetrator, after coming back from dumping the body, had to have passed Lannigan Parking lot to whereever his final destination would have been, meaning he was either a student going back to his dorms, a university employee, someone who worked at the concert or arena, or for whatever reason that remains myterious, had to go back to the location of the Metalica concert.

Since there is anecdotal evidence that she was impaired, agitated, stumbling occasionally and dropping things, she easily could have either dropped her purse without realizing it or put it down for a moment, gotten distracted, and walked away from it.

Then a person unrelated to the rest of the story could have seen an abandoned purse, snatched it up, taken it off into the parking lot, helped himself to the contents and discarded it.

The dropping (or walking-off-and-momentarily-forgetting) part is at least possible. And IF that happened, I think the rest of the scenario is probable.

That seems to be the simplest explanation consistent with all the (few) known facts. Might even be true...

snippy snip

Official Virginia State police summary investigative Case #: 09-83020523 :

8:20 - 8:48 PM: Someone matching Morgan Harrington's description was seen outside John Paul Jones Arena parking lot by the ticket office and on the University Hall side.

•8:48 PM: Morgan calls a friend inside the arena, discusses trying to get back in. Tells her friend that she will get a ride home from friends around Charlottesville.

•8:48 - 9:00 PM: Morgan is still spotted outside the arena. Police say they have no indication she re-entered the building.

•9:00 - 9:10 PM: Someone matching Morgan's description was seen walking through the University Hall parking lot. Nobody saw her with someone, but there were other people walking in the same direction.

•9:10 - 9:20 PM: Someone matching Morgan's description was seen in the Lannigan Field parking area near the track. This parking lot is used for overflow parking for arena events. The person matching Morgan's description had limited interaction with people who were at the parking area.

•9:20 PM: The people who witnesses the person matching Morgan's description left the area.

•9:20 - 9:30 PM: The person matching Morgan's description was seen on the Copeley Road Bridge near Ivy Road. The last spotting of Morgan Harrington was at 9:30 PM near the intersection of Copeley Rd. and Ivy Rd.

This is something that caught my attention from the first time I read the list. If you look at all the sightings they all contain the phrase (bolded by me) "the person matching Morgan's Description" except for one 8:48-9:00 I’ve always wondered if this was just a typo of sorts or is there some significance to it. This was release as a press release so it wasn't just 'from the hip' and it is a pain in the rear to type the person matching morgan's description out so it's hard to imagine it was used or not used arbitrarily. Could it me that there is something more substantial about this one sighting?

If local LE is saying that it appears to have been a "blitz attack" they probably have good reason for stating this. She may have been stumbling through the parking lot and forced into a vehicle. Instinctively she would have gone for her phone to call for help but the perpetrators grabbed it, dislodged the battery and then dumped her purse on the way out of the arena to make certain she didn't have access to her phone. If it were only one person involved they would have had to subdue her somehow in order to manage dislodging the battery. Or, either way, if she were incapacitated, they could have rummaged through her purse to find a phone, dislodged the battery and dumped it.

Simply dumping her purse would have separated her from the phone, so if the battery was missing as it is reported, she more than likely had the phone in her hand at the time.

If she were talking on the phone at the time it happened and unaware of her surroundings the person on the other end of the phone would have noticed the conversation being cut short, or a scream or at least something.

This is something that caught my attention from the first time I read the list. If you look at all the sightings they all contain the phrase (bolded by me) "the person matching Morgan's Description" except for one 8:48-9:00 I’ve always wondered if this was just a typo of sorts or is there some significance to it. This was release as a press release so it wasn't just 'from the hip' and it is a pain in the rear to type the person matching morgan's description out so it's hard to imagine it was used or not used arbitrarily. Could it me that there is something more substantial about this one sighting?

My thought on this is -- that is the time she was seen on camera trying to gain access to reenter the arena. I don't think it was a mistake that the rest said "the person matching Morgan's Description"

i was thinking about the psychic who said something about budget inn room 4.just got me wondering if LE checked all room rentals in local hotel,motels for that night.not inconcievable that a local with a plan would have rented a room.i just get a feeling she was being watched at the rv lot.i have found it odd her purse and all contents were found there even though she was supposedly seen farther away.makes me think perp followed her out then brought purse back later trying to tie her in with other people.

This has been my point all along...in hind sight..anyone with blond hair and any outfit..boots,no boots etc could be the person mentioned in the reports..
If a witness said "I know M and I know it was her..then I want to know why they left her standing out in the cold and didn't pick her up...it should have been clear to anyone that knew M that her plans were to be inside the arena when Metallica started playing...This is my reason for discounting the sightings...
The link I posted about M's press releases ,the fact she went off to the Bonnaroo..3 day Art and Music Festival...camping in tents..one utube video shows people jumping through a hula hoop into a mud puddle..and the mention by GH that one of the items packed by M was a hula hoop...leads me to believe it is someone that knew her..I don't think she would have went with a complete stranger...
I believe we are all right..person that knew her and the perfect opportunity...
in one of the weird post someone wrote..."she should have had better friends that would have watched her "...either the person posting this ,was just being cruel or they personally knew M (so easy for LE to check them out)
The Bonnaroo last year was held on a 700 acre farm and this year will be held in Manchester TN..tickets are around $250 for the 3 day event...
Location, location, location could this be the information LE is looking for..events that happened in that area...large group gatherings..the band playing ..were they at last years Bonnaroo?
Metallica,was in 2008..not sure about 2009..

The purse..could have been in the car all the time...friends return..irritated by what had happened..while they waited they got angrier and finally said .."let's head back to HSB".."what about M's purse?"....it lands on the parking lot as they head back to HSB...
In light of her never returning and the call from MR.H ...I would try not to incriminate myself either ...wouldn't you?

well there was the question why friends lawyered up.and as i said to keep from incriminating themselves.

As far as the purse; it makes no sense to me why someone would take her, then return the purse to the arena. Why not just throw it out? Depending on what kind of phone she had; someone may have taken the battery because they had the same phone.

IMO the deal is this it's a discussion board, which means people throw things out there and they get discussed. From my former post I’m sure you're aware that I differ in opinion from you on the where she was there or not, but if I responded to something you post its in the interest of discussion it’s not b/c you are annoying me or that I’m trying to suppress or discount your opinion. Sometimes I (and possibly others but I’ll only speak for myself) word things in a way that is maybe not constructive and sometimes we all can be sensitive, but honestly we move on and things are generally good. Post whatever you want (within the rules and the bounds or reason) if someone has a problem with it, it's a 'them problem' and to hell with them. At the same time understand if someone has a difference of opinion then them expressing it is not an attack it just discussion.

P.S. – I think people get short on this issue b/c its been discussed so many times and no one can say for sure one way or the other.

I understand there's going to be difference of opinion; especially if someone has followed this case since the beginning. As I've said, I've tried to read what ever I could & if I'm missing something that says they are sure she was inside; I'd love for one of the old timers on this case to please show us so we can move on..

btw.. according to the timeline in my blog post, it says this.. which is why I think I'm hung up on not believing she was inside - The only trace of Morgan found inside or outside of the arena was her pocketbook. Evidently, Morgan’s image was not picked up on security cameras, or other personal video recorders or personal cameras in or around venue. LE is still seeking any other available images from the public during this timeframe.

I'm not taking offense to anything; but did notice it seemed like some posters had left the discussion & it wasn't until the post by newshound6 that I thought I would add my 2 cents about helping us newbies so we can move on. I have a lot of patience; don't take offense to much & figured we were all being adult about it.

It's either that or that they got a lot of leads saying people saw her but after speaking to people more; they realized it wasn't Morgan.. I may have the link to the story that explained the sightings.

I will try to work on organizing my blog a little better. I wasn't ready to post the link which is why it didn't work in the last post because it was not a published blog; it was only a draft.. I guess I didn't realize it yesterday when I posted the link. Too much going on in my own life some days.. lol

A) The Morgan sightings on Copley Bridge are simply false, and she was likely abducted where her purse was found, in a "blitz attack", and never made it to the bridge.

what is a blitz attack?

I think she was impaired and an entire series of unfortunate things just kept happening, like a bad sitcom. I know its a little unlikely but a lot more likely than some of the other scenarios. But when you think about it, maybe that's what real life is like.. you let yourself become impaired (by whatever..drugs, alcohol, fatigue.. it just happens) then your decision making starts to slip. Something goes wrong.. but at that point you're not just going to snap out of it and fix your predicament in the most logical way possible. Instead you are going to make another less than brilliant choice and then another.. until something happens to stop you.. either you're rescued or you crash, either way no further decisions need to be made, at least not by you.

I had a day like that yesterday..
I knew we were getting more snow so I needed to run out. Stopped for gas; pharmacy where I realized I had no checks; then to Verizon to switch my phone because mine wasn't working, only to find the Blackberry I brought had turned on in my purse & the battery was dead. The guy had already deactivated my cell so I left, went to Walmart.. case of soda busted open spraying me with soda.. got home, charged Blackberry & when I tried to activate it, it wouldn't take. Then when it did take after the 5th time of calling *228; I couldn't get my address book transferred to it. Then the software was in another language. Daughter fighting with BF so she couldn't help show me how to work phone so I finally gave up, went to verizon online and put my cell back on. lol

Some days, yes, things happen & it's possible she had one of those days. To a younger person it could be a lot of drama & the end of the world.

i was thinking about the psychic who said something about budget inn room 4.just got me wondering if LE checked all room rentals in local hotel,motels for that night.not inconcievable that a local with a plan would have rented a room.i just get a feeling she was being watched at the rv lot.i have found it odd her purse and all contents were found there even though she was supposedly seen farther away.makes me think perp followed her out then brought purse back later trying to tie her in with other people.

I think the location of the purse is just as crucial piece of evidence as the location of Morgan's body at Anchorage Farms.

Killers do not return to the scene of the crime and plant evidence. Sorry, but that just doesn't happen. It poses an unnecessary risk, when they can just as easily keep it, or toss it somewhere far away.

And yet, amazingly enough, the perp did just that (if we are to assume LE maintaining Morgan hitch-hiking on Copley Bridge is fact).

Why, I wonder? Here's my theory: the perpetrator had no choice but to return to the location after he was done with Morgan.

well as we all know there saying there is no pics or video of her inside.yet one of the friends says she kissed her on cheek before she left to go to restroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member