Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because that is how south-east asian symbolic religous art is generally presented.

A Buddhist image would not show a huge gash in the left leg. The deity would not be shown as suffering or injured. The sword is not an ordinary sword: but rather arm & sword clearly reference the Tew pirate flag ("we are ready to kill you"). Buddhist images are never threatening or violent. Plus, the inner "halo" looks almost like a noose.

The artist might be a tattoo professional, who maybe attended a community college. He incorporates certain elements of style from other cultures, but has never thought too deeply about their themes.

Maybe he got the idea from this event:

Tattoo Convention London 2009
http://www.shakenstir.co.uk/index.php/features/london-tattoo-convention-sept-09/features/10066/2/

The Tara Art Project is a collection of original works made by various tattoo artists all over the world which represent the typical icons and symbols of the Tibetan culture and religion filtered through the sensitivity of each artist and the beauty of tattoo art. Tibetan art is often mentioned by many artists as being their source of inspiration for many of their pieces and there is great interest in its rediscovery and evolution. 4moreInfo: www.myspace.com/taraproject

MH had an interest in Tibet.

link: http://www.readthehook.com/stories/2009/10/29/cover-findMorgan-E.aspx

Picture of her keepsake trunk:
cover-mementoTrunk.jpg

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/n...rringtons_parents_visit_last-seen_site/49089/

A streamer of Tibetan prayer flags also draped the bridge. Prayer flags are a favorite of Morgan’s, and she displayed them on a balcony in Blacksburg and on her bed in her parents’ Roanoke home, her mother said.

Lots of images with a ring encircling the body. Don't see any images with a snake piercing the subject's body. No implication of a suffering deity. In the Buddhist images, no implication of violence, either.

Did you actually view this image: photo #14?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=735702175&aid=157216&s=0&hash=89e8240f3b8560bd6da228d6f6cb9afb

Yes, I viewed it and I wish I could see it at a better angle. I thought it sort of resembles this, some of the elements of it anyway.

manjushri.gif

(I am not very familiar with image shack. I hope the picture stays what it is supposed to be.)

I am trying to see your point of view so if the artist wanted to show suffering, why do you suppose they didn't reflect that in the face of the drawing? The arm holding the sword looks odd to me too. It is more manly than dainty. What if instead of something piercing her abdomen, it is something bursting out of it?

Anyhow, I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing, just trying to understand and tossing my thoughts out here.

In Indian mythology snakes, especially cobras, are associated with wealth, power and fertility. Being encircled by a snake while holding a sword would be a depiction of strength.

Quite true. Look at Shiva. I agree--looks like someone trying to emulate Hindu art and combining numerous goddesses in the process.

Honestly, I think that the drawing is of such amateur skill that it could as likely be Lindsay Lohan as Morgan Harrington.

Also, I don't see a snake, but an umbilical cord, which would make sense, as the umbilical cord and the lotus both hold tremendous meaning in ancient Hinduism.

Also, I don't see a snake, but an umbilical cord, which would make sense, as the umbilical cord and the lotus both hold tremendous meaning in ancient Hinduism.

I am not all that versed in this stuff but from what I researched, I think this is an artist's depiction of the goddess Tara, daughter of the Great Mother Earth Goddess (daughter = umbilical).

Tara was offered the opportunity to be a full fledged God if she would "come back" as a male. She refused and was mad. She swore she would remain a female Goddess for all of eternity. She is a fighter in some depicitions - fighting for the feminine. She also partially represents the Earth and the Great Earth mother is her mother. She fights for the Earth. She is beautiful and most often shown in a seated and cross-legged position.

I think the artist depicted the "wound" to show how Earth is wounded. Some articles say she was born from a Lotus flower.

Did you all know SS got her Morgan tattoo? It's a Lotus flower.

Yes, I viewed it and I wish I could see it at a better angle. I thought it sort of resembles this, some of the elements of it anyway.

manjushri.gif

(I am not very familiar with image shack. I hope the picture stays what it is supposed to be.)

Where is the image from?

Manjushri is described as a male deity:

http://www.khandro.net/deity_Manjushri.htm

Attributes
When the primordial buddha Vairochana vowed to emanate throughout the universe as the princely and ever-youthful, bodhisattva of Wisdom, his purpose was to lead beings in an inquiry whereby they could discover the true nature of reality. For that reason, he is usually depicted displaying the two tools essential to that investigation: in his right hand he wields the double-edged sword of logic or analytic discrimination and in his left, the Prajnaparamita Sutra, the text of the teaching on Emptiness. This teaching is fundamental to all forms of Buddhism and for that reason it is often called "Mother of All Buddhas." It is cushioned on the lotus of Compassion.

Manjushri's sword of discriminating wisdom is tipped with flames to show that it severs all notions of duality. It can cut away delusion, aversion and longing, to reveal understanding, equanimity and compassion.

Sometimes he is depicted with his hands making the gesture of teaching at the level of his heart. Often we see him with a double set of arms, which combines internal and external qualities.

Mañjushrî is either seated on a lion throne or on an elephant . Both animals are associated a fully enlightened buddha. However, as a bodhisattva, he is depicted as a sixteen-year old youth. This is a confirmation of the fact that wisdom is not merely associated with maturity and age; it but is a direct consequence of anyone's logical inquiry into the true nature of reality.

Despite the sword, the image seems very peaceful; not threatening or violent in any way.

I am trying to see your point of view so if the artist wanted to show suffering, why do you suppose they didn't reflect that in the face of the drawing?

Because the "artist" lacks empathy, he doesn't care about her feelings.

The arm holding the sword looks odd to me too. It is more manly than dainty.

Maybe an insult: suggesting that she and her family are like pirates.

BTW: some weird group may be using this Tew flag as a symbol.

What if instead of something piercing her abdomen, it is something bursting out of it?

Either way the image suggests violence and harm done to the subject.

Anyhow, I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing, just trying to understand and tossing my thoughts out here.

Thank you for your comments.

I am not all that versed in this stuff but from what I researched, I think this is an artist's depiction of the goddess Tara, daughter of the Great Mother Earth Goddess (daughter = umbilical).

Tara was offered the opportunity to be a full fledged God if she would "come back" as a male. She refused and was mad. She swore she would remain a female Goddess for all of eternity. She is a fighter in some depicitions - fighting for the feminine. She also partially represents the Earth and the Great Earth mother is her mother. She fights for the Earth. She is beautiful and most often shown in a seated and cross-legged position.

I think the artist depicted the "wound" to show how Earth is wounded. Some articles say she was born from a Lotus flower.

Did you all know SS got her Morgan tattoo? It's a Lotus flower.

Would this particular deity have great significance to any environmental groups?

As an aside, if any of Morgan's friends were involved in her demise, and the police have not already connected those dots, then that police dept. needs to be revamped big time.

As an aside, if any of Morgan's friends were involved in her demise, and the police have not already connected those dots, then that police dept. needs to be revamped big time.

LOL

But it could be someone she mistakenly thought was a friend, but who was not one of her companions to the concert that evening.

Mercy me, did you mean "mistakenly" as in, a wolf in sheep's clothing type "friend?" And would you say this friend was high when he/she did this -- or just not right in the head?

What does someone (a family member/friend) know about Maura that they aren't saying, I wonder

Mercy me, did you mean "mistakenly" as in, a wolf in sheep's clothing type "friend?" And would you say this friend was high when he/she did this -- or just not right in the head?

Someone who gained her trust somehow, but who was up to no good.

JMO: the crime was premeditated. And, some group was involved. They may be drug abusers, but they were sober enough to follow a plan that night.

Let's imagine that MH had informed on someone to LE. What if she never told her parents?

Yes, I did mean Morgan, sorry about that -- juggling too many thoughts at once.

Okay now, see, this is an example -- as you said, could it be that Morgan was an informant and she paid a terrible price for that?

If Morgan was an informant, the police obviously would know this. They would also be able to discern which particular groups to scrutinize. Perhaps they are hoping someone associated with one of these groups will step forward -- maybe to make a deal of some kind. However, these individuals may be terrified of what their own fate may be if they come forward.

Now that's scary stuff.

American's gift of love revives memory of ancient Tibet kingdom
2010-06-29 12:10:00

An amazing gift of love by an American artist will revive the memory of an ancient Tibetan kingdom more than 50 years after the annexation of Tibet by China and a drive by Beijing to clamp down on Tibet's unique Buddhist art, culture and tradition.

A nearly five-year labour of love by Jane Lillian Vance, who teaches 'the creative process' at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Virginia, climaxes in Nepal with a documentary recording the culture of Mustang, which was once part of an ancient and culturally rich Tibetan kingdom.

*snip*

The team is carrying to Jomsom a load of precious supplies: reading glasses, collapsible water carriers, solar and crank flashlights, retractable kitchen knives, sewing kits, birthing kits, and more.

These have been gifted by a Virginia family whose daughter Morgan Harrington, a student of Vance at the university, went missing in October 2009 while attending a concert.

More at link...
http://sify.com/news/american-s-gif...t-kingdom-news-international-kg3mkcejceh.html

American's gift of love revives memory of ancient Tibet kingdom
2010-06-29 12:10:00

An amazing gift of love by an American artist will revive the memory of an ancient Tibetan kingdom more than 50 years after the annexation of Tibet by China and a drive by Beijing to clamp down on Tibet's unique Buddhist art, culture and tradition.

A nearly five-year labour of love by Jane Lillian Vance, who teaches 'the creative process' at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Virginia, climaxes in Nepal with a documentary recording the culture of Mustang, which was once part of an ancient and culturally rich Tibetan kingdom.

*snip*

The team is carrying to Jomsom a load of precious supplies: reading glasses, collapsible water carriers, solar and crank flashlights, retractable kitchen knives, sewing kits, birthing kits, and more.

These have been gifted by a Virginia family whose daughter Morgan Harrington, a student of Vance at the university, went missing in October 2009 while attending a concert.

More at link...
http://sify.com/news/american-s-gif...t-kingdom-news-international-kg3mkcejceh.html

From the same link:
Tom Landon, who co-produced the documentary with Vance's friend Jenna Swann, told the Buddhist Channel why they chose to make it: 'To tell the story of the connection between the Blue Ridge (in the US) and the Himalayas and, really, just to tell a good story that will make people curious about these wonderful people and the lives they lead.'

http://www.rc.vt.edu/facstaff/Vance.html

Artist Jane Lillian Vance teaches The Creative Process for the Department of Religion and Culture at Virginia Tech. For more than thirty years, Vance has traveled to South Asia, where she has studied Himalayan iconography and culture.

The Harringtons' minister, Diane Scribner Clevenger, was also part of a project called "A Gift for the Village."

http://www.agiftforthevillage.com/teammembers.html

Diane Scribner Clevenger is the senior minister of Unity of Roanoke Valley, a beautiful 26-acre interfaith community in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. A dynamic public speaker and frequent presenter at New Thought events, Diane’s fascination with sacred geometry began through labyrinths when she lived in Europe. Prior to studies at Chartres Cathedral, she followed the paths of the Cathars and Mary Magdalene throughout France.

Diane is Chaplain of the Association of Unity Churches, Eastern region, and part of 21st Century Metaphysicians for Unity worldwide. She serves on the Ministerial Advisory Board for SOFTLY Int’l. and Partners Council of Habitat for Humanity. She hosted the Blue Ridge PBS Television production of Mary Manin Morrissey’s Building Your Field of Dreams and has inspired many through her CD “Pray Attention… With Your Self.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiyasofya