Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the people that thought MH looked angry/frustrated - it was actually MH... The people that thought MH looked normal...maybe that was DS they saw and not MH

Presumably, DS was inside the arena for Metallica for some of those sightings (i.e., before 9:30).

I believe the girls thought they would get into trouble -
1) driving MH's car to JPJ
2) leaving MH behind & driving her car again

IMO the girls thought they were probably in some kind of trouble and this was the initial story and DH & GH believed it...

Especially if accounts of MH's account being overdrawn at the time and a meeting scheduled for the next day with DH to study for math test and balance checkbook are accurate.

Oh, so if they thought she went home, they would have brought her car to her so she could drive the next day??

If by they you mean MH's friends, no, my point was that if there was a plan to stay locally, then it might not have been perceived as such a big deal for MH to catch a ride/walk, and they would drive there (local hotel/friend's house) after the show, in MH's car, and they would all get where they needed to be the next day. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Then, what they told the parents before understanding the gravity of the situation was not quite the truth, in their own way protecting MH, and possibly fearing reprisal themselves. The parents initially stood by the friends's account, until LE publicly clarified their version of the truth, because by all statements from people who know them that I've read on FB and elsewhere they seem like "good kids."

Maybe they were even planning to stay at the Pantops Comfort Inn (and that's the tip, source unknown, that LE was acting on earlier in searching there).

Hi, all. Haven't posted on these threads yet, but wanted to throw out something I saw being discussed a few pages back. I have a son who is in LE, and know that sometimes when they say there is no evidence of foul play, what they mean is, there are no signs of severe injuries or murder... no blood or signs of a struggle, in other words. They don't always mean that they aren't looking at that possibility, just that they haven't found any evidence of it as yet. In any missing persons case, they ALWAYS consider foul play, until they find evidence otherwise.
Just thought I would throw this out there, it may not be true in this case. It is possible that they are following up clues that have led them to think MH went with someone willingly. In reality, they have to consider everything.

I just thought of a scenario in what could have taken place. Please forgive me if this has been mentioned. Morgan may have tried to call or text someone inside of arena but had poor reception. I could see her going outside a door to get a reception then the door slams shut leaving her outside. Could there been someone come to her rescue to help her but instead harms her? Then her friends text her and the perpetrator texts back that she has been locked out but it is ok she will find a ride. The perp then throws out the battery of the phone so it will not ping.

Posted on FB page is a link to the first news report on today's search:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/225316

Mention for searchers to be on the lookout for a distinctive gold necklace.

Thanks! Great turnout!

That reminds me: LE and/or other searchers should be looking at pawn shops for the necklace....(I read about that happening on another case; sorry I can't remember the outcome of that particular case.)

JMO

I just thought of a scenario in what could have taken place. Please forgive me if this has been mentioned. Morgan may have tried to call or text someone inside of arena but had poor reception. I could see her going outside a door to get a reception then the door slams shut leaving her outside. Could there been someone come to her rescue to help her but instead harms her? Then her friends text her and the perpetrator texts back that she has been locked out but it is ok she will find a ride. The perp then throws out the battery of the phone so it will not ping.

This is the first speculation that I have heard of this reason for her leaving the arena, and it seems plausible to me, especially in light of accounts from another recent concert there that text messages were delayed for up to 2 hours, iirc. If she simply went to the bathroom, then was wanting to text someone or was expecting a text from someone, she might have stepped all the way outside at an unguarded door (are there any at a concert at JPJ?) to get reception (not knowing, forgetting, or not believing the no reentry policy), or stepped halfway out, as you surmise, with the door slamming shut (or in some other way ending up locked out unintentionally...a guard seeing her halfway out and saying "half out is all out," or some such, though LE says there is no evidence she was asked to leave).

Apparently, though, it was an actual phone call, not texting, at 8:48, placed by the friends, so presumably they had cell phone coverage inside and she was not at that time being held against her will.

Hi Weezie. It is my understanding that Morgan keeps her car with her on campus at Virginia Tech. Her parents have often talked about her coming home during the week for dinner, to do laundry, on the weekends etc.

The girls (MH and Roommate) went to Morgan's parents house Saturday morning, where Morgan tried on outfits for her mother, then they headed down to JMU to pick up another friend. From there, the girls drove to the concert in the JMU friends car, leaving Morgan's car behind. When she didn't turn up Sunday...her V Tech roommate drove Morgan's car from JMU back to Morgan's parents house for Morgan's parents, who were obviously distraught and more than likely didn't want to go all the way to JMU to pick up their missing daughter's car.

Here's where we all get hung up... the police and the media have said why didn't Morgan go back to her car, Morgan didn't have the keys to her car,...etc. I believe that when they say "HER CAR" they mean the car that Morgan was attached to, the car she rode down to the concert in. Her father has been quite clear that his daughter's car was parked and remained at JMU on Saturday night until MH's roommate drove it to him on Sunday.

If this is the case, I just can't wrap my brain around why her friend would be in possession of her car keys when she had a purse full of her on contents. Why let your friends hang on to your car keys when you are riding around in their car? Thanks for the info!

This is the first speculation that I have heard of this reason for her leaving the arena, and it seems plausible to me, especially in light of accounts from another recent concert there that text messages were delayed for up to 2 hours, iirc. If she simply went to the bathroom, then was wanting to text someone or was expecting a text from someone, she might have stepped all the way outside at an unguarded door (are there any at a concert at JPJ?) to get reception (not knowing, forgetting, or not believing the no reentry policy), or stepped halfway out, as you surmise, with the door slamming shut (or in some other way ending up locked out unintentionally...a guard seeing her halfway out and saying "half out is all out," or some such, though LE says there is no evidence she was asked to leave).

Apparently, though, it was an actual phone call, not texting, at 8:48, placed by the friends, so presumably they had cell phone coverage inside and she was not at that time being held against her will.

but we don't know she wasn't being held at that time, if she had a knife to her throat or gun to her head, she might say "I'll find my own way home" hoping the friends would think that was strange because they rode in her car.....

If this is the case, I just can't wrap my brain around why her friend would be in possession of her car keys when she had a purse full of her on contents. Why let your friends hang on to your car keys when you are riding around in their car? Thanks for the info!

Could it be possible that the friend who drove MH's car to JPJ retains possession of the keys because she is the DD for the night?

Me, too!!

HOW can we find out the truth about this particular detail? It would surely be helpful -- if the public's help is wanted -- if we had clarification of WHERE Morgan's car was that night and WHY her father disagrees with LE on this issue without giving a reason. I.e., the truth could jog someone's memory.

Is there even a description available of her roommate's car? Someone might remember if that car was parked by the apartment all night or if they saw it at the arena.

JMO.

This makes me wonder if her friends submitted to LDT's and maybe her father is just in denial ala, "My daughter always does what she tells me she is doing!" MH's father wouldn't have any reason to lie when he desperately wants his daughter back. However, MH's friends probably spilled their guts to LE because they are young and scared.

Could it be possible that the friend who drove MH's car to JPJ retains possession of the keys because she is the DD for the night?

Could be, but if someone else was the DD and they weren't in MH's car, why would someone need to hang onto her keys?

I also wonder if there are any unguarded doors -- for egress only -- at JPJ arena. I'm sure there is a limited number of doors for access (due to the need to collect tickets, probably some sort of sensing devices, etc.). BUT -- if there is a true emergency -- say a fire or a bomb scare -- I would think the arena would have to be able to provide a certain number of doors that the crowd could get through to leave the arena. I.e., I would think the arena wouldn't be allowed to have it set up so that the central doors are the only ones available for exit.

If Morgan did leave in the way you describe, and I agree it's plausible, I wonder -- since there was no emergency for the crowd -- if an alarm sounded. Sometimes public places post signs that say an alarm will go off if such-and-such happens, but I doubt that every alarm always sounds....just a thought. MOO

Still wishing for the best for all the Harringtons.

Coverage of this case has been greatly distorted by the "mis-information" about the car. Whatever the story, it seems like it took a long time for LE to straighten the matter out. (I am assuming that is an absolutely verifyable fact that they drove MORGAN'S car to JPJ that night). While this fact may not be material to the investigation, it would raise all kinds of doubt, suspicion and confusion. In general, law enforcement must have the TRUST of the community and permitting mis-information to circulate is not the way to do it.

I suspect the frieds were not being truthful when they said Morgan was going to get a ride with "local friends". There is no indication that she tried to call anyone local, or that she even knew anyone well enough to know how to contact them. If she really said she was getting a ride with friends, why would the girls search for "hours" for her? I wonder if the friends "permitted" the parents to believe that they rode a different car to JPJ and, when the parents found out the real story, declined to "correct the record". The issue of the car and keys suggests "designated driver". Perhaps the parents wanted to protect Morgan from the stigma of drinking. Hell, if I drove somewhere but wanted to drink and someone with me didn't, I'd give them the keys. Its the responsible thing to do.

The Ft Hood shooting is a shocking story but the "story with-in the story" about the delay in correcting the report that the shooter had died is equally disturbing. Was this a case of deliberat "dis-information"; possibly to assist the investigation of any conspiricay? Was it just an oversight? This might suggest that keeping the public informed was not consided a priority.

From readthehook.com:
"Another discrepancy between what police and the family seem to know revolves around the vehicle that transported the young woman and three other concert-goers to Charlottesville. Police spokesperson Geller says that although driven by a friend, it was definitely Morgan Harrington’s own vehicle. Dr. Harrington has maintained, however, that his daughter’s 2006 Honda Civic, along with its keys, remained in Harrisonburg until retrieved Sunday by his daughter’s roommate who drove it back to the family home in Roanoke."

I am so lost!

Hmmm i started out to say I think the police are in a better position to know the truth and also when speaking through a spokes person (i.e. trained in public relations and image conscious) are less likely to speak in such strong language unless they are sure. So I would go with what they say.

But as I was typing this It occured to me that LE is also more likely to intentionally put out wrong information (for some investigative purposes). And while the father has not come out and said he is wrong he also has not commented one way or another in like a week. So idk.

Me personally I'm going with what the police say until I have more information one way or the other. But it is still possible it's the other way around and LE told the family not to say any more about it. I just don't get the feeling that they are at a point in the investigation where they would be playing these types of games.

but we don't know she wasn't being held at that time, if she had a knife to her throat or gun to her head, she might say "I'll find my own way home" hoping the friends would think that was strange because they rode in her car.....

Well, except that she was apparently spotted between 8:48, the time of that call, and her last appearance on Copeley bridge around 9:30, around other people, but not seemingly with anyone, so it makes it hard for me to believe that her responses in that call was in anyway coerced on her...now, is what we're hearing about the call what was actually said, given that it was being listened to in a loud arena, that may be a different question.

Her friend drove MH's car from JMU to JPJ and kept the keys...others have speculated that she was the designated driver for the group.

I thought that LE said very clearly at presser this week that there was no activity on MH's phone after 8:48, no texts, nothing ...

I'm hoping that one of the things searchers are looking for today-Sun is that battery ...

Although like so much in this case the wording I heard was vague, that is to say it could be interpreted more than one way; I thought that they specifically said there was no PHONE calls after the 8:48 deal with the friends. I'm just trying to use my memory so I'm not sure. Many media reports I have seen in the last week seem (at least in my interpretation) to suggest that some of the texting done with the "unknown young man" was after the last call, but before 9:30.

This is just what I remember hearing or reading so take it for what is worth.

See post #560 for further conformation

Could be, but if someone else was the DD and they weren't in MH's car, why would someone need to hang onto her keys?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has been pretty clearly established and publicized by LE (so that's what I'm choosing to believe) that it was in fact MH's car. An earlier poster stated that it was in the "normal" lot, which I read to be the one directly adjacent to JPJ (though whether on the lot or in the multi-story parking structure I don't know).

I don't know if DH still believes otherwise, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has changed his own mind about that, and that (in LE's/DH's mind) unimportant detail just hasn't been shared. The car doesn't seem to be LE's focus (maybe it should be, but they express that it's not), nor how she got out of the arena, but what happened after she was outside and after 9:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member