Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a new article on Morgan’s disappearance. It is written by a woman named Ann Flaherty. Apparently she has received permission from the Harrington family to write a series of articles about Morgan and what has occurred to date. She is not only writing but asking the readers to become involved as well.

This article contains the facts as given to her by Dr. Harrington. There is not much that’s new in it but it says that Morgan’s debit card was found in her purse. The credit/debit card question is an old one, first brought up at the initial presser but never answered. Note that there is no mention of a credit card, just the debit card. I had not heard that the debit card was found.

Link here;

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...organ-Harrington-missing-young-Virginia-woman

So your sayin, she met them that night and now she trusts them or as you say built a relationship. Their strangers. Not likely that this happened.

???? I personally think that she didn't need a "relationship" to accept a ride, as many college kids sort of quickly assume or form a "relationship" with other college kids

"Oh your brother was in my class"...."Yeah I went to xyz's party"..."Yeah, I'm the DJ for the party on Friday"....whatever whatever

someone that she met in the student union...a guy who works at the pizza shop....someone who is in a fraternity that she has been to parties at

she knows him slightly....but NO one "knows" she is with him

I think Morgan might run or fight an older guy, a truck driver, a "local", but a college kid?? maybe even a basketball player

what I DO NOT think happened : I don't think there was some huge conspiracy...I don't think her "friends' sorry as they may be conspired to murder her...I don't think some "ex" (doesn't seem like she had really deep relationships) made some huge elaborate plot complete with fake alibis to murder her...I don't think 3 basketball players conspired to murder her...(maybe one came back)

what I DO think happened....she accepted a ride from a "slightly known/fellow student/friend of friend" or whatever...I think that somehow things went horribly bad...maybe a situation where he tried for sex, she said no , and he pushed...and she threatened...and he raped her and then he realized he was in trouble

or he tried to "subdue" her and killed her (smothered ?)...he flipped...and killed her...or some variation of the above

I think that is the MOST likely/logical/statistical explanation

no where to "look">> he might have even taken her to his house by V Tech...or to some remote location...could be in any area...

hard to "find" him since NO one knows who he is, no one saw her get in "his" car..and no REAL connection

I hate to say it...but this is the sort of sad case that might be "solved" when someone is walking their dog or hiking with their dog next spring...JMO

http://www.examiner.com/x-30376-Pri...organ-Harrington-missing-young-Virginia-woman

*snipped*

Dan Harrington’s summary:

At noon on October 17, 2009 Morgan and her roommate, Amy, left Roanoke in her 2006 Honda to travel 90 minutes north on I-81 to James Madison University (JMU). At JMU, Morgan and Amy met up with Sarah and Dan (a friend’s BF) to travel 60 minutes east to Charlottesville, Va. Dan was the designated driver of Morgan’s vehicle. The group arrived in Charlottesville at 6:00 pm where they were to attend the Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena.

Two bands played before Metallica, Morgan was present for these sets. Before Metallica played, Morgan left the group to go to the rest room. A witness reports seeing Morgan in bathroom upset/crying and it appeared as if she had been hit (she apparently fell and cut her chin). At 8:20-8:30 she left the arena for unknown reason and was unable to gain reentry.

Outside the arena, Morgan had a phone conversation with Sarah inside the arena (battery still in phone) and Morgan stated she had been locked out of arena and was unable to gain reentry. Morgan told her friends she would find a ride home or call a friend. No other phone calls were recorded. However, during this time she also texted a male friend in a town 60 miles away. That individual has been excluded as a person of interest in this case by the Virginia State Police.

8:20 - 8:48 p.m.– Morgan was seen in several areas immediately outside John Paul Jones Arena, possible including doors, and the side near University Hall.

9:00 - A witness reported seeing Morgan in front of the arena and recalled speaking with a female consistent with Morgan’s description.

9:00 - 9:10 – Morgan was seen walking, with her purse, through the University Hall parking area. There are several reports of her having had interactions with people - or of them having seen Morgan at various places in the parking lot outside of the arena. There were also reports of a woman seen dropping her purse.

9:10 - 9:20 – A woman, fitting Morgan’s description, was seen in the grassy overflow RV parking area at Lannigan Field.

9:20 – It is reported Morgan had an interaction with four University of Virginia basketball players in the University Hall parking lot.

9:20 - 9:30 – Morgan was sighted on the Copeley Road Bridge over the railroad tracks and reportedly was hitchhiking.

9:30 – This is the last verified sighting of Morgan Dana Harrington.

After the concert, Morgan’s friends waited for a significant amount of time – they never saw Morgan and left the venue returning back to JMU in Morgan’s car.

Early Sunday morning, Morgan’s purse was found by a passerby and was reported to the University of Virginia Police as "lost property". Morgan’s purse had all of her belongings including: a wallet, debit card, ID, and a cell phone with the battery missing.

Sunday 12:30 - Morgan fail to show up at her parent’s house as expected (to study for Math test and to balance her checkbook). Morgan’s father, Dan Harrington begins calling the friends who accompanied Morgan to the concert.

12:40 - Dan Harrington reported Morgan missing to the University of Virginia Police.

The only trace of Morgan found inside or outside of the arena was her pocketbook. Evidently, Morgan’s image was not picked up on security cameras, or other personal video recorders or personal cameras in or around venue. LE is still seeking any other available images from the public during this timeframe.

(below also available at link)

Official Virginia State police summary investigative Case #: 09-83020523 :

???? I personally think that she didn't need a "relationship" to accept a ride, as many college kids sort of quickly assume or form a "relationship" with other college kids

"Oh your brother was in my class"...."Yeah I went to xyz's party"..."Yeah, I'm the DJ for the party on Friday"....whatever whatever

someone that she met in the student union...a guy who works at the pizza shop....someone who is in a fraternity that she has been to parties at

she knows him slightly....but NO one "knows" she is with him

I think Morgan might run or fight an older guy, a truck driver, a "local", but a college kid?? maybe even a basketball player

what I DO NOT think happened : I don't think there was some huge conspiracy...I don't think her "friends' sorry as they may be conspired to murder her...I don't think some "ex" (doesn't seem like she had really deep relationships) made some huge elaborate plot complete with fake alibis to murder her...I don't think 3 basketball players conspired to murder her...(maybe one came back)

what I DO think happened....she accepted a ride from a "slightly known/fellow student/friend of friend" or whatever...I think that somehow things went horribly bad...maybe a situation where he tried for sex, she said no , and he pushed...and she threatened...and he raped her and then he realized he was in trouble

or he tried to "subdue" her and killed her (smothered ?)...he flipped...and killed her...or some variation of the above

I think that is the MOST likely/logical/statistical explanation

no where to "look">> he might have even taken her to his house by V Tech...or to some remote location...could be in any area...

hard to "find" him since NO one knows who he is, no one saw her get in "his" car..and no REAL connection

I hate to say it...but this is the sort of sad case that might be "solved" when someone is walking their dog or hiking with their dog next spring...JMO

Agree with a lot of what you say, but again, since she was not a student at UVa, her having seen people around campus settings before that night is less likely (though not impossible). She had a brother who attended UVa and she had been to concerts at the Charlottesville Pavillion (though apparently not JPJ).

I agree that it could have been someone whom she knew a little bit, but it increases for me the possibility that it's someone she only met that day/night. There are also unconfirmed reports that the group was partying beforehand...maybe one of those locals who didn't attend the show?

In not ruling out the basketball players, I'm also not ruling out the four guys the Hook reports she was walking with before the BB players, as one of them could have doubled back to get her off the bridge as easily as the BB players could have. But I recall reading that MH walked with the four guys to their car, then continued on with the BB players, so she would have gotten a ride with the four then, if that's what ultimately happened (or they had more than one car and one doubled back).

Frustrating for sure.

http://www.examiner.com/x-30376-Pri...organ-Harrington-missing-young-Virginia-woman

*snipped*

snipped throughout to save space

Dan was the designated driver of Morgan’s vehicle. The group arrived in Charlottesville at 6:00 pm where they were to attend the Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena.

However, during this time she also texted a male friend in a town 60 miles away. That individual has been excluded as a person of interest in this case by the Virginia State Police.

9:20 – It is reported Morgan had an interaction with four University of Virginia basketball players in the University Hall parking lot.

Early Sunday morning, Morgan’s purse was found by a passerby and was reported to the University of Virginia Police as "lost property". Morgan’s purse had all of her belongings including: a wallet, debit card, ID, and a cell phone with the battery missing.

The only trace of Morgan found inside or outside of the arena was her pocketbook. Evidently, Morgan’s image was not picked up on security cameras, or other personal video recorders or personal cameras in or around venue. LE is still seeking any other available images from the public during this timeframe. :

Most interesting pieces to me here:

Boyfriend is named and it is said he drove the car.

6:00 arrival time in Charlottesville.

Male texted with is specified as being 60 miles away...will look into that for my own personal interest and share anything interesting.

Four, not three, basketball players are mentioned.

Purse contents are spelled out.

OMG finally a timeline. Thank you so much.

This just reinforces my suspicion. I think she was hitchhiking and picked a ride either from:

1. Complete stranger; possibly a friendly college guy.

2. Someone she talked to earlier while wondering around and they found her again and asked if she needed a ride.

3. She was abducted and struggled, dropping her purse.

4. A roadie or someone working with the concert. He may have chatted her up. Asked her to hang out or something then killed her.

I believe the third one the most. I think someone asked her if she needed a ride. She may have said no and he may have came around again after seeing her wondering around and stopped the car snatching her in.

All four seem plausable. I agree that maybe in the spring someone will find her body when the weather has cleared up.

I'm curious about the text to the male friend - could she have asked about some mutual friend or acquaintance who lived in the area of the arena, in hopes that individual could either pick her up, or she could go to that "mutual friend's" location?

Male texted with is specified as being 60 miles away.

Lynchburg is 60 miles away, Richmond is 70, Blacksburg (Va Tech), and Roanoke (parents' home) are farther than that.

Harrisonburg (JMU) is 54.7 or 61.5 miles away by car, depending on route, but only about 38 as the crow flies.

Up 29 North, Culpeper is 45 miles, Warrenton 70, with nothing much in between. Toward Richmond, Short Pump is just about 60 miles. Straight west 60 miles would put you almost into West Virginia, or west on 64 would be the part where it overlaps with south 81, and would still be a ways from Roanoke and Blacksburg.

So Lynchburg or Harrisonburg seem most likely. I recall somewhere a question of whether MH attended JMU for her first two years of college?

Regardless, someone at JMU whom MH either knew previously or met that day (in the time between 3:30 arrival in/call from Harrisonburg and 4:45-5:00 or so departure to arrive in Charlottesville by 6:00?) seems more likely to me than someone in Lynchburg, but you never know.

Also, what did they do in the time between arriving in Charlottesville and getting to JPJ (presumably later than 6:00)? Did boyfriend attend the show, or did they drop him somewhere first (thus the witness's report not mentioning a male upon MH's arrival). And if bf was the designated driver, why did one of the friends have the keys? Still so much unknown...

I think she got in a vehicle by the bridge with someone she didn't know, either by choice or by force. I think the fact that she was seen by herself by the bridge leads me to believe it wasn't someone she had spoke with at the concert. If someone she talked to at the concert was willing to give her a ride (no matter what their intent good or bad) they would have offered the ride in the parking lot.

She may have been spotted by someone in the parking lot that she didn't speak to and was followed. In any event, I do not believe anyone she spoke with at the concert was involved.

As to the purse, I believe she was probably intoxicated and upset and dropped it or set it down and forgot about it, before walking off. I believe the battery missing from her cell was a result of her dropping the phone. She probably dropped the phone, didn't realize the battery dropped out or realized it did but couldn't find it, and simply put the phone back in her purse without the battery in it.

This case is very sad and frustrating. These arenas need to come up with a plan on how to handle people that exit these arenas and want to get back in. Maybe they should start doing the bracelets instead of ticket stubs. This all could have been avoided if she would have been able to get back in the arena. At the very least, these arenas should have a safe place for these folks that exit early to go to.

I think she got in a vehicle by the bridge with someone she didn't know, either by choice or by force. I think the fact that she was seen by herself by the bridge leads me to believe it wasn't someone she had spoke with at the concert. If someone she talked to at the concert was willing to give her a ride (no matter what their intent good or bad) they would have offered the ride in the parking lot.

She may have been spotted by someone in the parking lot that she didn't speak to and was followed. In any event, I do not believe anyone she spoke with at the concert was involved.

Unless one individual had intent that the others didn't? Even something as benign as "hey that cute girl needed a ride, and now that my buddies aren't with me..."

As to the purse, I believe she was probably intoxicated and upset and dropped it or set it down and forgot about it, before walking off. I believe the battery missing from her cell was a result of her dropping the phone. She probably dropped the phone, didn't realize the battery dropped out or realized it did but couldn't find it, and simply put the phone back in her purse without the battery in it.

Bold inserted above about an individual she had just met.

BBM in the quote below about the phone, battery, and cover. MH must have known, if the cover was recovered with the phone, that the battery had fallen out, but she may not have been able to find the battery itself. Doesn't change much, probably, but the cover being found is a significant detail to me.

"By 9:20pm— about 10 minutes before she was last seen on the bridge— according to the police timeline, Morgan was spotted in the RV Lot, directly across Copeley Road from the U-Hall lot and adjacent to the UVA track. Her black purse, which could also be worn as a backpack, and battery-less cell phone were spotted by a passerby the morning of Sunday, October 18. Geller says the battery cover was also recovered and that Morgan’s family says the “condition of the phone” meant the battery could come out easily if the phone was dropped. Geller says there was no sign of a struggle."

From: http://www.readthehook.com/blog/ind...fore-hitching-morgan-harrington-caused-worry/

I'm going to say something kind of awful, but honest, I've pretty much lost interest in this case ,and I consider it a cold case now-for all the reasons we are all fully aware of.Of course I'm still full of sympathy for the family etc...but it will be shear luck now to ever learn what really happened...sorry.

Bold inserted above about an individual she had just met.

BBM in the quote below about the phone, battery, and cover. MH must have known, if the cover was recovered with the phone, that the battery had fallen out, but she may not have been able to find the battery itself. Doesn't change much, probably, but the cover being found is a significant detail to me.

"By 9:20pm— about 10 minutes before she was last seen on the bridge— according to the police timeline, Morgan was spotted in the RV Lot, directly across Copeley Road from the U-Hall lot and adjacent to the UVA track. Her black purse, which could also be worn as a backpack, and battery-less cell phone were spotted by a passerby the morning of Sunday, October 18. Geller says the battery cover was also recovered and that Morgan’s family says the “condition of the phone” meant the battery could come out easily if the phone was dropped. Geller says there was no sign of a struggle."

From: http://www.readthehook.com/blog/ind...fore-hitching-morgan-harrington-caused-worry/

I didn't know the battery cover had been recovered, so yes, I would agree that she probably couldn't find the battery to put it back in.

Regarding your below statement, I think that is a big leap. You have to take into consideration that if a person with friends did such a thing, they were taking a huge risk. A group of friends probably all rode together in the same car or perhaps 2 cars. So, an individual leaving a group to go after Morgan, would involve his friends knowing he went after her (which means witnesses, which would and could easily be reported). Another issue would be transportation. If this group all came together, how would they get home if one of the driver's left to go after Morgan?

Unless one individual had intent that the others didn't? Even something as benign as "hey that cute girl needed a ride, and now that my buddies aren't with me..."

I'm wondering, if she was intoxicated, was the rest of her group? If they had been drinking or consuming drugs with her, would they really be aware that she some how got her self locked out of the arana? I mean did they only figure it out after she called. Just thinking out load. I hope it makes sense.

I didn't know the battery cover had been recovered, so yes, I would agree that she probably couldn't find the battery to put it back in.

Regarding your below statement, I think that is a big leap. You have to take into consideration that if a person with friends did such a thing, they were taking a huge risk. A group of friends probably all rode together in the same car or perhaps 2 cars. So, an individual leaving a group to go after Morgan, would involve his friends knowing he went after her (which means witnesses, which would and could easily be reported). Another issue would be transportation. If this group all came together, how would they get home if one of the driver's left to go after Morgan?

I agree it might be a big leap, but I think like many here, I'm reaching for anything, without implying anyone's guilt. I'm precisely arguing that this would have happened with people in separate cars, one individual deciding to do something that the others didn't know about, not with people who were traveling in the same vehicle.

My point was that we don't know how many cars the first four guys were in who (according to the Hook) MH walked across the UHall parking lot with in no apparent distress (nor where they were parked...I assume at least one vehicle was in UHall parking). We do know the bb players were in multiple cars, parked in Lannigan Field parking. We don't know who else interacted with MH before the concert or after she was outside of the arena who might have picked her up or if it was a random or opportunistic act by a complete stranger.

I agree it might be a big leap, but I think like many here, I'm reaching for anything, without implying anyone's guilt. I'm precisely arguing that this would have happened with people in separate cars, one individual deciding to do something that the others didn't know about, not with people who were traveling in the same vehicle.

My point was that we don't know how many cars the first four guys were in who (according to the Hook) MH walked across the UHall parking lot with in no apparent distress (nor where they were parked...I assume at least one vehicle was in UHall parking). We do know the bb players were in multiple cars, parked in Lannigan Field parking. We don't know who else interacted with MH before the concert or after she was outside of the arena who might have picked her up or if it was a random or opportunistic act by a complete stranger.

IMO, that would mean the individual missed Metalica play, as did Morgan. I would think his friends would realize and wonder why he wasn't present to see the band play?

Maybe it was someone that she spoke with in the parking lot that took her. Either way, I believe it was someone that she didn't know. Unfortunatley, I believe it is just one of those sad cases of "at the wrong place at the wrong time."

IMO, that would mean the individual missed Metalica play, as did Morgan. I would think his friends would realize and wonder why he wasn't present to see the band play?

Maybe it was someone that she spoke with in the parking lot that took her. Either way, I believe it was someone that she didn't know. Unfortunatley, I believe it is just one of those sad cases of "at the wrong place at the wrong time."

Right, I'm not talking at all about someone who was at the concert, presuming that anyone would have been inside watching Metallica. I was thinking of individuals she would have met in roughly the hour she spent outside the arena (e.g., walking or talking in the parking lots) that would make this something other than a completely random hitchhiking disappearance. Someone with some connection to her, even if only fleeting.

Right, I'm not talking at all about someone who was at the concert, presuming that anyone would have been inside watching Metallica. I was thinking of individuals she would have met in roughly the hour she spent outside the arena (e.g., walking or talking in the parking lots) that would make this something other than a completely random hitchhiking disappearance. Someone with some connection to her, even if only fleeting.

I agree, this is a very plausible scenario. IMO, if this is the case, the person was by himself when he spoke with her in the parking lot.

I agree, this is a very plausible scenario. IMO, if this is the case, the person was by himself when he spoke with her in the parking lot.

Can you explain more why you have that opinion? I see it as just as likely that he could have "doubled back."

Can you explain more why you have that opinion? I see it as just as likely that he could have "doubled back."

Just seems too risky. With all of the national media attention, it seems somebody would have reported that they and/or their friends spoke with her that night. Like how the BB players have gained attention. Or is that what you are getting at, one of the BB players doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mzrowdy