Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry...but just don't find this tip credible... Why didn't this person immediately dial 911? Or why didn't this person go back into Sheetz and ask them to call 911? Take a pic with a cell phone? Something other than just posting to a board when he got around to it... Or why didn't he just run over to where she was and got a better look? Or even asked her if she was MH? He could have made up a story...like...looks like maybe you have low tire pressure or one of your brake lights appears to be out or short circuiting... Anything...to get a better look or a plate #... But yet all he can manage to do is post... I guess even he didn't believe enough it was MH if he didn't call 911... JMO

Sorry...but just don't find this tip credible... Why didn't this person immediately dial 911? Or why didn't this person go back into Sheetz and ask them to call 911? Take a pic with a cell phone? Something other than just posting to a board when he got around to it... Or why didn't he just run over to where she was and got a better look? Or even asked her if she was MH? He could have made up a story...like...looks like maybe you have low tire pressure or one of your brake lights appears to be out or short circuiting... Anything...to get a better look or a plate #... But yet all he can manage to do is post... I guess even he didn't believe enough it was MH if he didn't call 911... JMO

I agree. The description sounds familiar, though. The same-age girl with the brown hair who had a black jacket tied around her waist? Wasn't there a much earlier supposed sighting that was similar? Can't remember where I read about it.

I agree. The description sounds familiar, though. The same-age girl with the brown hair who had a black jacket tied around her waist? Wasn't there a much earlier supposed sighting that was similar? Can't remember where I read about it.

Seems like I remember something about that too. However...I don't remember where I saw it posted.

Lots of tips similar to this Christmas Eve sighting for MH came in about Brittanee Drexel also. Unfortunately none of them seemed to pan out for her either.

I know there are some people who truly believe they are being helpful...but if one does firmly believe they have seen MH or BD or any one of the other missing persons or children - then why aren't they calling 911? It's an easy # to remember...instead of some 1800 tipline # and 911 gets a much faster response.

And this guy said "she" was with another woman...so that 'fear factor' of some 6' 200 lb guy didn't come into play...he had no reason not to approach this person who looked like MH, IMO.

I do hope this guy was right and that MH is out there alive somewhere. IMO if she is out there somewhere living another life...it's going to be doubtful that she would be in a well populated place like a Sheetz unless she had changed something about her looks - since it appeared to this guy she was able to move about freely one would think she's not being held against her will if this was her.

Possible Scenario in which Perp Used MH's Own Car.

Let's say that someone (not necessarily the driver, but just someone) somehow managed to obtain the keys to MH's car, and pick her up on the bridge that night.

If he broke her cell, took the battery & threw the cell & her open bag out the window of the car, we have to ask why she did not try to escape the car. He would have had to drive through city traffic with plenty of chances to get stopped at a light. In this case, he may have punched her very hard in the chin (maybe for the second time that night), and knocked her out cold.

Then, he headed westward on I64 towards Shenandoah State Park, which has many old disused roads, abandoned farms & infrastructure. (Fifty families were forced to leave their farms behind when the government decided to convert the area to wilderness park in the 1930s). Wanting to get rid of her body asap, he took no time to dig a shallow grave, but perhaps just threw her body down an abandoned well, mineshaft, tunnel or cave (perhaps not even bothering to kill her first).

Of course, this scenario would result in a lot of blood inside the car, which the perp later tried to remove. This blood could still be detected in the upholstery or rugs. Such evidence as her broken finger nail with his DNA on it might reveal the identity of the perp. Also, bits of soil may have certain minerals which could possibly indicate the most likely location where he left the car to dispose of the body.

Meanwhile, the Harringtons have taken a representative of some church group into their home, which might detract from overall objectivity of the investigation. What if some person who might reasonably be questioned is from a family that has a lot of political pull in the church?

First, you'd think the police would've impounded the car and not just let it sit in the Harrington's driveway.

Second, I don't see the connection with their church.

First, you'd think the police would've impounded the car and not just let it sit in the Harrington's driveway.

That's what I'm saying.

For example: Right now there is a case in NYC in which a teenage girl stabbed a young man who along with a group of other young men attempted to molest her. The guy died, and now she is being charged with manslaughter, when she was clearly only defending herself from this attack, and possible rape, serious assault & murder. Observe how the media automatically disregards the girl's perspective.

(Link: http://www.1010wins.com/pages/5998225.php?contentType=4&contentId=5307935)

If MH had managed somehow to fight back against the possible abductor, would she now be in prison?

Someone on another board wrote a recent post that the Harrington's need to get a good private investigator. Let's hope that they already have one.

From my perspective I've only seen the pastor of the Harrington's church speak just a couple of times. Seems like both Mr. & Mrs. Harrington have done the majority of the talking regarding MH. They have given interview after interview - whether live during a newscast or written. I just don't see the pastor or the church having that much "pull" with the family.

I also think it's doubtful that all or even part of the "9" attend the same church that the Harrington's do. Especially when at least some of the "9" are away at college. In this type of church that the Harrington family attends, I can't see one family having a "one up" on another family for any reason - that's not how these parishioners live their lives.

For the most part these folks live their lives in "love and light". They prefer to live and be positive and to make what's negative into a positive, they are not quite so concerned about the "mundane" but of spirituality and spiritual needs.

Rev. Diane (the pastor) - I do not know her personally, but have met her on a couple of occassions and she is very nice, soft spoken. She seemed very genuine and I don't see her forcing one situation to take care of another - wouldn't matter whose side it was on.

IMO MH had a plan in mind when she went to the concert and that was to dump her friends and try to find herself a bf. Why else would she wait for the concert to almost start to go to the bathroom alone and then exit the arena. Why did she go wandering around on her own and not stay put by the entrance door and ask for one of her friends to bring her the ticket stub. I think she was tightly controlled by her parents and saw this as an opportunity to meet someone. She must have also been under the influence of alcohol/drugs thus the dropping of her cell and her bag and leaving them where they fell. I don't have any hope that she is alive. A predator probably picked her up on the bridge.

IMO MH had a plan in mind when she went to the concert and that was to dump her friends and try to find herself a bf. Why else would she wait for the concert to almost start to go to the bathroom alone and then exit the arena. Why did she go wandering around on her own and not stay put by the entrance door and ask for one of her friends to bring her the ticket stub. I think she was tightly controlled by her parents and saw this as an opportunity to meet someone. She must have also been under the influence of alcohol/drugs thus the dropping of her cell and her bag and leaving them where they fell. I don't have any hope that she is alive. A predator probably picked her up on the bridge.

It's plausible that MH planned all along to leave before Metallica took the stage, but it also seems she was looking forward to the concert, from what I have seen.

To me it seems more likely that she somehow exited by mistake (cut on chin, disoriented or in an altered state, to make a phone call, directed to the wrong place to smoke...perhaps by security, or not understanding the arena's strict no re-entrance policy, even with a ticket stub).

But I agree with you that it's possible an unknown perp grabbed her, although I also agree with others who think it may have been someone 1) she knew well, 2) had met that evening, or 3) had only met online.

It's so frustrating that there don't appear to be any leads in this case.

Possible Scenario in which Perp Used MH's Own Car.

Let's hope that this scenario proves false, nonetheless the possibility should be considered.

Let's say that someone (not necessarily the driver, but just someone) somehow managed to obtain the keys to MH's car, and pick her up on the bridge that night.

If he broke her cell, took the battery & threw the cell & her open bag out the window of the car, we have to ask why she did not try to escape the car. He would have had to drive through city traffic with plenty of chances to get stopped at a light. In this case, he may have punched her very hard in the chin (maybe for the second time that night), and knocked her out cold.

Then, he headed westward on I64 towards Shenandoah State Park, which has many old disused roads, abandoned farms & infrastructure. (Fifty families were forced to leave their farms behind when the government decided to convert the area to wilderness park in the 1930s). Wanting to get rid of her body asap, he took no time to dig a shallow grave, but perhaps just threw her body down an abandoned well, mineshaft, tunnel or cave (perhaps not even bothering to kill her first).

Of course, this scenario would result in a lot of blood inside the car, which the perp later tried to remove. This blood could still be detected in the upholstery or rugs. Such evidence as her broken finger nail with his DNA on it might reveal the identity of the perp. Also, bits of soil may have certain minerals which could possibly indicate the most likely location where he left the car to dispose of the body.

How would the perp get Morgan's car if her friends had her keys?
IMO, this scenario doesn't fit at all.
Morgan obviously trusted her friends enough with the keys.

Just because we haven't read that no forensics were done on her car, doesn't mean that there were no forensics done on her car. Give LE some credit.

Lexington, i agree with a lot of your post.
The friends are cleared, Morgan rode to the concert with them and then left. The only reason to leave the concert would be to meet someone.

The only reason i can think of for her to not stay near the entrance is that she was semi familiar with the area or maybe knew people around that area. Maybe if she had friends around the area, she would try to find them or a way to reach them.

It doesn't seem she was that interested in the concert, if she was a diehard fan, i'd think she'd have done whatever it takes to get back inside, including summon friends to buy her another ticket, etc.

The ticket stub wouldn't have helped at this concert, as supposedly you'd have to buy a ticket again before box office closed to get back in. I know of other events where if you hold onto the stub it's okay to reenter, however at this one i believe it wasn't the case.

Her cell phone battery was removed, maybe fell out some point after she was outside and wandering around the arena. IMO, i think a perp may have took it out and tossed the phone/purse so that they couldn't be traced and the purse wouldn't be in his possession.

My prayers for the Harringtons, it's a horrible thing to not know..

It's plausible that MH planned all along to leave before Metallica took the stage, but it also seems she was looking forward to the concert, from what I have seen.

To me it seems more likely that she somehow exited by mistake (cut on chin, disoriented or in an altered state, to make a phone call, directed to the wrong place to smoke...perhaps by security, or not understanding the arena's strict no re-entrance policy, even with a ticket stub).

But I agree with you that it's possible an unknown perp grabbed her, although I also agree with others who think it may have been someone 1) she knew well, 2) had met that evening, or 3) had only met online.

It's so frustrating that there don't appear to be any leads in this case.

Morgan and her friends would have been going to a party at JMU after the concert, yet the friends didn't go so since they were missing Morgan.

What if she was really looking forward to the party and didn't want to wait for her friends so either met someone or knew people locally who were going as well or would go with her? What if she was meeting someone outside the concert to go to the party early, and then her friends would meet up with her later? just thinking aloud here..
The friend doesn't show up, so she walks around (maybe she is familiar with the area and/or has friends there) so she attempts to reach them and then her cell phone carps out on her? LE was asking for witnesses who Morgan may have asked to use their phones..
Maybe a friend of a friend's; an acquaitance, online; the arena had to be packed with tons of kids from all the nearby colleges. It may be possible someone followed her outside from the concert..

If she was drinking, it may cloud her judgement. The policy of the arena not being able to reenter; these types of things confuse people, as they vary from venue to venue.
Some arenas stamp your hand, give you a bracelet, and allow you back in.
Others allow you back in with a ticket stub.
JPJ won't allow you back in unless you buy a whole new ticket.
I'd imagine it would get confusing.

Hopefully this new year will bring resolution to Morgan's case.

Morgan and her friends would have been going to a party at JMU after the concert, yet the friends didn't go so since they were missing Morgan.

What if she was really looking forward to the party and didn't want to wait for her friends so either met someone or knew people locally who were going as well or would go with her? What if she was meeting someone outside the concert to go to the party early, and then her friends would meet up with her later? just thinking aloud here..
The friend doesn't show up, so she walks around (maybe she is familiar with the area and/or has friends there) so she attempts to reach them and then her cell phone carps out on her? LE was asking for witnesses who Morgan may have asked to use their phones..
Maybe a friend of a friend's; an acquaitance, online; the arena had to be packed with tons of kids from all the nearby colleges. It may be possible someone followed her outside from the concert..

Have you heard that they were going to a party at JMU after the concert, or is that just speculation on your part? I had read they were staying at a local hotel (just rumors, no substantiation).

She lived in Charlottesville until she was 10, and her brother attended UVa, so she may have had some knowledge of the area. The timeline places her outside while Metallica was onstage, so it's not likely a concert-goer who is involved, unless, as you speculate, that person followed MH out.

Even though she didn't attend UVa, the chances of her seeing someone who was wearing VA Tech apparel is probably pretty high, as Charlottesville has a lot of those folks...

How would the perp get Morgan's car if her friends had her keys?
IMO, this scenario doesn't fit at all.
Morgan obviously trusted her friends enough with the keys.

MH gave the keys to Dan at least at the beginning (so he could drive them to C'ville), but did he actually keep the keys throughout the entire concert? This scenario isn't necessarily the only possible way that the crime could have occurred, but given the massive confusion over the location of the car and the keys at various relevant times, seems that they should at least check the car.

Just because we haven't read that no forensics were done on her car, doesn't mean that there were no forensics done on her car. Give LE some credit.

The statement that the car had no forensics testing came from her father. Of course, perhaps he is offering misleading info to throw someone off.

MH's vehicle left the jurisdiction of the C'ville PD...was taken back to JMU...and then taken back to MH's Roanoke home.

Who would be the responsible PD for doing the forensics on her vehicle?

Anyone know?

From my perspective I've only seen the pastor of the Harrington's church speak just a couple of times. Seems like both Mr. & Mrs. Harrington have done the majority of the talking regarding MH. They have given interview after interview - whether live during a newscast or written. I just don't see the pastor or the church having that much "pull" with the family.

The minister has been referred to as the family spokesperson in the media.
Link:
http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/19/metal-fan-from-tech-disappears/

I also think it's doubtful that all or even part of the "9" attend the same church that the Harrington's do. Especially when at least some of the "9" are away at college. In this type of church that the Harrington family attends, I can't see one family having a "one up" on another family for any reason - that's not how these parishioners live their lives.

The so-called "Nine" turned out to be only two girls; AM & SS. That all "Nine" were at the concert turned out to be an early misunderstanding of certain comments made by MH's mother early in the case. The idea of the Nine was actually not relevant to the case.

For the most part these folks live their lives in "love and light". They prefer to live and be positive and to make what's negative into a positive, they are not quite so concerned about the "mundane" but of spirituality and spiritual needs.

Sometimes thinking too "positively" is not realistic.

MH gave the keys to Dan at least at the beginning (so he could drive them to C'ville), but did he actually keep the keys throughout the entire concert? This scenario isn't necessarily the only possible way that the crime could have occurred, but given the massive confusion over the location of the car and the keys at various relevant times, seems that they should at least check the car.

One thing is that the witness who reported seeing MH arrive with her party also noted that she was not with them after the concert, which suggests the car (whatever car they arrived in) was not moved during the concert (or was put back in roughly enough the same space that the witness didn't notice the difference). fwiw.

MH's vehicle left the jurisdiction of the C'ville PD...was taken back to JMU...and then taken back to MH's Roanoke home.

Who would be the responsible PD for doing the forensics on her vehicle?

Anyone know?

Not sure, but the Harringtons could pay to have testing done privately. They should choose carefully, so that any evidence gathered could stand up in court.

One thing is that the witness who reported seeing MH arrive with her party also noted that she was not with them after the concert, which suggests the car (whatever car they arrived in) was not moved during the concert (or was put back in roughly enough the same space that the witness didn't notice the difference). fwiw.

Do you have a link? Thank you in advance.

The minister has been referred to as the family spokesperson in the media.
Link:
http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/19/metal-fan-from-tech-disappears/

The so-called "Nine" turned out to be only two girls; AM & SS. That all "Nine" were at the concert turned out to be an early misunderstanding of certain comments made by MH's mother early in the case. The idea of the Nine was actually not relevant to the case.

Sometimes thinking too "positively" is not realistic.

Rev. Diane may be the spokesperson of the family...but she's not the one who has been doing the majority of the talking

The way you have spoken about their church led me to believe that you were meaning that the people who attended the concert with MH may also attend this same church and something is being withheld because of the 2 families having the same ties. If I have mistaken what you've written, I apologize.

I agree - with thinking too positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member