GUILTY VA - NFL QB Michael Vick, 3 others indicted for dog fighting, Surry County, 2007

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he plays again, I won't watch a single game that he's in. And I'm not alone. Not only will this cost the team who takes him, but anybody that they play. Big mistake.

I'll watch him play in Cleveland's Dog Pound! :behindbar

I could be mistaken (and usually I am) but I thought one of the other guys testified that MV himself participated in the killing of some of the animals.

Yes he did. Of course he has suffered too with the prison sentence and losing all his money... but he deserved it. He is a superior athlete, but most teams can still do without him imo.

LINK

Report: Vick to be suspended for 4 games

updated 38 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - Michael Vick might soon discover just who’s interested in giving him a second chance.

Two people familiar with the meeting confirmed the NFL commissioner, Vick, agent Joel Segal and two other members of the suspended quarterback’s team met Wednesday at a security firm in New Jersey. The two people requested anonymity because the league has not acknowledged the meeting.

I love watching NFL games but the commissioner has really effed this one up. A one year suspension should have been the least for this. JMO

:furious::eek:

I agree. A suspension of "maybe" four games seems like a slap on the wrist.

I'll watch him play in Cleveland's Dog Pound! :behindbar
If anyone signs him, that would be perfect, imo! Also thanks for posting the corrected articles that the NFL has not yet decided what to do with him. :)

Yes he did. Of course he has suffered too with the prison sentence and losing all his money... but he deserved it. He is a superior athlete, but most teams can still do without him imo.

Boo hoo. IMO, he blew it. Let him work at McDonald's!

I am in no way taking up for MV. I have a brother who is serving time in prison right now. Reading everyone's comments on him not deserving a second chance gives me no hope that my brother can have a second chance. While my brother has been locked up he has been treated worse than any animal would be or should be. He went two weeks in the same underwear, no soap, no toothbrush or toothpaste because he didn't have money on his books. We missed the deadline because we had no idea about such things. He had to sleep on the floor with rats crawling all around. He may still be on the floor. I know many people believe he deserves this. He did the crime. He has to do the time. While I believe he must do the time; I don't believe anyone should have to wear the same dirty underwear for two weeks and not have basic supplies like soap and tootpaste. When he is released, Society will expect him to become human and productive again but with no hope of a second chance, why should he?

I absolutely agree that the crimes Michael Vick committed were horrendous. However,I don't agree with the concept of taking his ability to earn a living away from him now that he has completed his prison sentence. He did the crime and he has done the time.

The 4 game suspension, if it happens, really isn't that big of a setback for him. It will take at least that much time for him to get back into football shape.

I believe he will play again and deserves that chance. There will be protests and a lot of negative publicity for him wherever he goes and deservedly so. However for all the protests and boycotting, there will be just as many that tune in or show up just to see what happens.

I think he'll get picked up and will play again.

I am in no way taking up for MV. I have a brother who is serving time in prison right now. Reading everyone's comments on him not deserving a second chance gives me no hope that my brother can have a second chance. While my brother has been locked up he has been treated worse than any animal would be or should be. He went two weeks in the same underwear, no soap, no toothbrush or toothpaste because he didn't have money on his books. We missed the deadline because we had no idea about such things. He had to sleep on the floor with rats crawling all around. He may still be on the floor. I know many people believe he deserves this. He did the crime. He has to do the time. While I believe he must do the time; I don't believe anyone should have to wear the same dirty underwear for two weeks and not have basic supplies like soap and tootpaste. When he is released, Society will expect him to become human and productive again but with no hope of a second chance, why should he?

I'm not asking what your brother did because I know that's personal. My opinion on second chances is based on what the person did and if there are any signs of remorse. Michael Vick abused and profited on the abuse of defenseless animals. Animals that are known to only want to please even if it is to their demise. He's shown no remorse other than a letter (most likely written by his lawyer) that seemed scripted and insincere.

I absolutely agree that the crimes Michael Vick committed were horrendous. However,I don't agree with the concept of taking his ability to earn a living away from him now that he has completed his prison sentence. He did the crime and he has done the time.

The 4 game suspension, if it happens, really isn't that big of a setback for him. It will take at least that much time for him to get back into football shape.

I believe he will play again and deserves that chance. There will be protests and a lot of negative publicity for him wherever he goes and deservedly so. However for all the protests and boycotting, there will be just as many that tune in or show up just to see what happens.

Are you saying he couldn't earn a living doing something else?

He has earned money doing something else. I believe he worked in construction while waiting to finish his house arrest. I could be wrong.

The NFL will let him play, because he owes so much money. I think he has to pay back the Atlanta Falcons a whole chunk of change.

I'm not going to get into whether or not I believe he should be allowed to play or not. That isn't my choice. I do think he should speak out against the dog fighting "industry" and show how he has lost just about everything due to his stupidity and greed.

I'm not asking what your brother did because I know that's personal. My opinion on second chances is based on what the person did and if there are any signs of remorse. Michael Vick abused and profited on the abuse of defenseless animals. Animals that are known to only want to please even if it is to their demise. He's shown no remorse other than a letter (most likely written by his lawyer) that seemed scripted and insincere.

I don't mind saying my brother is a drug addict that stole from humans to support his drug habit. I am very certain that my brother is sorry that he got caught but not so certain that he is sorry that he stole from anyone. He only cares about the drugs. But too me, it doesn't matter what type of crime someone commits, as a human being; no one should have to go without soap, toothpaste, and toothbrush for two weeks with the same nasty clothes on, not to mention having to sleep on a floor fighting off rats. I can guarentee you that if a dog had to sleep with rats crawling on them, people would be throwing fits. Michael Vick was wrong and he served more time than some child rapist and certainly more time than child molesters do in this Country. What does that say about our justice system?

He has earned money doing something else. I believe he worked in construction while waiting to finish his house arrest. I could be wrong.

The NFL will let him play, because he owes so much money. I think he has to pay back the Atlanta Falcons a whole chunk of change.

I'm not going to get into whether or not I believe he should be allowed to play or not. That isn't my choice. I do think he should speak out against the dog fighting "industry" and show how he has lost just about everything due to his stupidity and greed.

No, he got to keep the vast majority of his bonus:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Jailed quarterback Michael Vick can keep all but $3.75 million of the nearly $20 million in bonus money he received from the Atlanta Falcons following a ruling Monday by a federal judge.

I can't post a link without a video box coming up but it's from the ESPN website. I put a space between the = and the 3. pull that space back and it should link you to the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id= 3229782

Probably not because most people don't believe he deserves a second chance.

Most people, but not all people. Someone would give him a job. See, besides being an animal lover what pees me off so much about MV is that he was given everything because of his talent. He got a scholarship to Virginia Tech. You know how many law abiding high school kids would have taken that and made something of themself (and probably have)? His brother isn't any better. He stays in trouble too. Maybe they should have to work for something so they can appreciate what was given them. Maybe it isn't fair but I don't want to see him in a position where he's making mega bucks and kids are seeing him as some type of role model.

MCDRAW, yes your brother deserved the necessities and no, he didn't deserve to have to fight off rats. While your brother did do something illegal and yes, he did hurt those he stole from, it doesn't compare in my opinion to someone that tortures animals for sport and profit.

Most people, but not all people. Someone would give him a job. See, besides being an animal lover what pees me off so much about MV is that he was given everything because of his talent. He got a scholarship to Virginia Tech. You know how many law abiding high school kids would have taken that and made something of themself (and probably have)? His brother isn't any better. He stays in trouble too. Maybe they should have to work for something so they can appreciate what was given them. Maybe it isn't fair but I don't want to see him in a position where he's making mega bucks and kids are seeing him as some type of role model.

MCDRAW, yes your brother deserved the necessities and no, he didn't deserve to have to fight off rats. While your brother did do something illegal and yes, he did hurt those he stole from, it doesn't compare in my opinion to someone that tortures animals for sport and profit.

MV has done his time. I am not a MV fan, never have been, probably never will be. But, the guy has done his time. "given everything because of his talent"--"Maybe they should have to work for something so they can appreciate what was given them." Pro athletes work VERY hard to be where they are. Most people do not have the drive, or desire, that it would take to stay in the NFL. Most people in our society do earn (or you call given) alot more than others if their talents or work ethics are higher than alot of others.

The guy has done his time, so IMO it is time for him to make right, as much as possible, all his wrongs and become a productive member of society. I know and understand that some people, believe it or not, do things that are wrong. And, believe it or not, some change for the better. I just hope when all are given a second chance, that they make the best of it, as I hope he does.

Are you saying he couldn't earn a living doing something else?

No.

I will say that I doubt he could make anywhere near the money he will make in the NFL doing something else. I could be wrong though. I don't know Michael Vick or what he is capable of.

I think your point is that he should also have his NFL career taken away from him. If that's the case, I disagree.

I think he'll get picked up and will play again.

Unfortunately, I agree with you and it makes me sick to my stomach. I can only hope that the backlash is fierce.

"given everything because of his talent"--"Maybe they should have to work for something so they can appreciate what was given them." (snipped)

He was given the opportunity and he didn't appreciate it. He didn't take the opportunity to improve himself. He stayed the that he was in Newport News. He participated in illegal activities and he lied to the NFL.

Most people in our society do earn (or you call given) alot more than others if their talents or work ethics are higher than alot of others.

See above. If they are I hope they appreciate it and don't disappoint those that have invested in them and those that see them as a role model.

How many chances does he get?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/127928/atlanta_falcons_quarterback_michael.html?cat=14

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18050210/detail.html

His prison sentence was lengthened because he tested positive for drugs.

I remember reading more little "incidents" with Michael Vick but couldn't find them on the internet since he's been released. Everything you find concerns the dog fighting charges.

Do you know how many little kids in our area (VA) still sport his number 7 jersey? Is this someone you would want your child looking up to? He should take the opportunity to do some type of public service announcement. Maybe volunteer at a shelter. THAT would show he had remorse and it would makes kids realize that what he did was wrong.

I don't doubt he'll play again, so my opinion doesn't really matter. Athletes get away with more than even the politicians.

Do you know how many little kids in our area (VA) still sport his number 7 jersey? Is this someone you would want your child looking up to? He should take the opportunity to do some type of public service announcement. BMaybe volunteer at a shelter. THAT would show he had remorse and it would makes kids realize that what he did was wrong.

I don't doubt he'll play again, so my opinion doesn't really matter. Athletes get away with more than even the politicians.

Bolded by me.

He is volunteering to do things for the humane society.

From http://www.dosomething.org/blog/chatterbox/michael-vick-heads-home-prison.

He is also in talks with PETA to become a spokesperson for their organization.

http://animalblawg.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/peta-and-michael-vick/

Vick is also working at the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula, where he'll work as an aide in summer youth sporting programs, according to Steven S. Kast, the club's chief executive officer.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/michael-vick-now-working-peninsula-boys-girls-clubs?page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18