GUILTY VA - NFL QB Michael Vick, 3 others indicted for dog fighting, Surry County, 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why but sometimes I find the inhumane treatment of animals more disturbing than people. Is that bad? I guess cuz they are just so defenseless and at the mercy of inhumane people.
I feel the same way. ;)

What will get his attention is if he's kicked out of the NFL.
Kicked out of the NFL and a 6 yr. prison sentence. :) I just don't feel the fine of $350,000 will hurt him at all.

Kicked out of the NFL and a 6 yr. prison sentence. :) I just don't feel the fine of $350,000 will hurt him at all.

Yep. I agree. The fine means nothing. I bet if the truth were known, there are back-up dogs and rings not too far away from the Vick site.

I've heard stories that even some of the politicians and law enforcement people in Georgia go to these fights. I've heard stories of it in other states as well.

I am thoroughly disgusted with the NFL, the Atlanta Falcons and NIKE.

I can't describe how sickening it is what these guys have done to innocent animals. It is scary to think that there are people who actually get a thrill out of torture and murder of animals. What must be going through the minds of these degenerates who find pleasure in suffering? It's scary.
I totally agree, nan!! I will never comprehend how people can stand there and watch (and cheer and "enjoy" it???). It just sickens me that this stuff honestly happens!!

We have to be a voice for the poor dogs who are made to suffer this way!! I'm sending off emails and putting together a Bulletin to send out on MySpace. I wish I could stop all the suffering, but this is the least I can do.

PETA ready to protest following Vick indictment

The NFL may soon get its first face-to-face backlash following the federal indictment of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick on multiple dogfighting charges. The animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has scheduled a protest in front of the league offices in New York on Friday morning. "This is to show our frustration over the NFL's failure to take a strong stance against Michael Vick," PETA spokesman Dan Shannon said. The call for protest comes as the NFL has yet to punish Vick, who was charged by federal authorities on Tuesday with competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting, and conducting the enterprise across state lines. "Aside from Michael Vick and the celebrity status, the details of this case are some of the most shocking we've ever seen," Shannon said. "The cruelty and the size of this dog-fighting organization are staggering."

Falcons owner Arthur Blank addressed the public outcry in a statement Thursday. "This is an emotionally charged and complicated matter," he said. "There are a wide range of interests and legal issues that need to be carefully considered as we move ahead, including our need to respect the due process that Michael is entitled to. Also, this situation affects everyone – our club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among them – so we must consider all of our customers in making any decisions. "Given the differing perspectives and strong feelings around this issue, we probably won't make everyone happy, but we are committed to doing the right thing. As the owner of this club that's, ultimately, my responsibility."

The league has received numerous calls and emails requesting that Vick be barred from playing for the foreseeable future, according to two league sources. Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, said that more than 100,000 emails had been sent through his organization's web site alone to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. Members of both organizations have discussed boycotting not only the Falcons and the NFL, but also companies that do business with Vick, the league and the team. Nike, which uses Vick as a pitchman, and Home Depot, where Blank was once a co-chairman, were among the targets of possible boycotts.

Pacelle said the Humane Society had yet to decide how it would protest, but he was quite clear about the goal for the organization, which has approximately 10 million members. "If the NFL punts its responsibility and allows Vick to play, there will be significant public pressure brought to bear," Pacelle said. "And this is not some top-down decry. It's something the people in the organization will demand we do. The public is clamoring for action. "We're still in the wake of dealing with the media and public reaction to the news of the indictment on Tuesday. Now, we started to pivot to start applying pressure if the NFL and the Falcons dig in and think it's OK for him to be on the field."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-vickprotest021907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Is there something in the sports drinks in Atlanta? First Chris Benoit kills his family and himself and now Michael Vick is indicted in dogfighting. All of the athletes in town are going nuts! Maybe it's the same stuff they're drinking in Cincinnatti.

On a side note, I can understand the NFL's postion of wanting Vick to go through due process first. He hasn't been put on trail and convicted yet. What if he is found not guilty?

I hope this sheds a major spotlight on this barbaric, but never talked about, plague known as dogfighting and puts an end to it!

Is there something in the sports drinks in Atlanta? First Chris Benoit kills his family and himself and now Michael Vick is indicted in dogfighting. All of the athletes in town are going nuts! Maybe it's the same stuff they're drinking in Cincinnatti.

On a side note, I can understand the NFL's postion of wanting Vick to go through due process first. He hasn't been put on trail and convicted yet. What if he is found not guilty?

I hope this sheds a major spotlight on this barbaric, but never talked about, plague known as dogfighting and puts an end to it!

SADLY, VICK is NOT the only Falcon player recently involved in abuse with Pitbulls, Babineaux, is ALSO in trouble for it.

http://pcstupidity.com/WordPress/?p=36

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/seen_on/article_seenon.aspx?storyid=92756

Blank Should Suspend Babineaux
ATLANTA (AP) -- An animal protection organization said Friday it has asked Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank to suspend a defensive lineman facing animal abuse charges.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said it has sent a letter to Blank asking the owner to suspend Jonathan Babineaux, who has denied responsibility for the death of his girlfriend's dog. Babineaux faces felony animal abuse charges in the case.

PETA is urging Blank to suspend Babineaux until the case is resolved.

Gwinnett County Police were dispatched Sunday evening to the Animal Emergency Center of Gwinnett near Lawrenceville, where the staff told them that 24-year-old Blair Anderson had arrived with a pit bull mix that was dead upon arrival.

Police said Anderson and the 25-year-old Babineaux had argued at their home. She said she went to the movies, and when she returned, she found the year-and-a-half-old dog named Kilo in "severe physical distress."

Babineaux told officers at the hospital he was not responsible for the dog's death. Police said his account of what happened was inconsistent with information about the dog's injuries that was provided by the animal hospital.

Babineaux was arrested. He was released Monday on a $2,300 bond.

Babineaux, a backup, played in all 16 games and recorded 28 tackles last season.

In the letter to Blank obtained by The Associated Press, PETA said "we respectfully ask that if this case is still pending in court at the start of preseason, Babineaux be suspended until its adjudication. Furthermore, if Babineaux is convicted, we ask that your organization release him."

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said this week the team would have no comment "because this is a personal and legal matter."

(Copyright © 2007, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

BTW, the dog died by blunt force trauma to the head.

Fox News just had Mike Mason on, from ESPN--He says not only will Vick lose every single endorsement he has now, but also that he is certain Vick will be going to Prison, possibly a plea deal

Didn't the league suspend Pacman Jones prior to his trial?

Didn't the league suspend Pacman Jones prior to his trial?

Supposedly, their reasoning or justification for doing it PRE trial was due to his 10 or so prior offenses. In this case, they are saying that they fear something happening like what happened in the Duke case where they cancelled the whole Lacrosse season, and well, we all know everything they went through and they were innocent. I think they are afraid Vick will buy his way out of it and sue them.

Benoit and Vick are two examples of probably more than a hundred athletes in Atlanta. I know you are exaggerating but I feel bad that people never recognize the good things that many athletes do. That said, I am curious to see how both the Falcons and NFL respond. The NFL is not known for being all that tough in terms of punishments. Unless you are Ricky Williams of course, when his offense is probably the the least harmful. ;)

Supposedly, their reasoning or justification for doing it PRE trial was due to his 10 or so prior offenses. In this case, they are saying that they fear something happening like what happened in the Duke case where they cancelled the whole Lacrosse season, and well, we all know everything they went through and they were innocent. I think they are afraid Vick will buy his way out of it and sue them.

Considering the indictment states this dog fighting ring has been in operation since 2001, I'd say that qualifes as numerous prior offenses. I wonder if the owner of the Falcons will put the good name of his team ahead of fame of his QB and do the right thing. It certainly sounds like the heat is being turned up.

Benoit and Vick are two examples of probably more than a hundred athletes in Atlanta. I know you are exaggerating but I feel bad that people never recognize the good things that many athletes do. That said, I am curious to see how both the Falcons and NFL respond. The NFL is not known for being all that tough in terms of punishments. Unless you are Ricky Williams of course, when his offense is probably the the least harmful. ;)

LOL, Ricky Williams. Didn't he voluntarily retire because he didn't want to hang up his hooka? Then came back later for more moolah?

Thanks for joining in imthemom; don't be a stranger. Yes, I agree that pit bulls are unfairly maligned, and their unfortunate reputation is directly attributable to a narrow group of mean demented owners. I'm glad you chimed in and offered your own experience.

Thanks, I just feel very strong about this and my pit can't talk so I will say what I'm sure he is thinking.

Welcome Imthemom. I appreciate your nice words about pits.
Are they not the smartest dogs in the world?

Thanks for the welcome. I agree definitely the smartest and the funniest, they have so much character, mine is such a winer when he really wants something, it is so pathetic.

Thanks for the welcome. I agree definitely the smartest and the funniest, they have so much character, mine is such a winer when he really wants something, it is so pathetic.

Ah, another proud Bully owner! Aren't they funny? Does yours talk? I have never heard anything like the noises mine makes when he "talks". LOL

Also, the fighting allegations have made it to the Senate floor compliments of my very own WV state senator Byrd! WAY TO GO BYRD!

http://www.nbc4.com/politics/13721550/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

This may have already been posted, saw it on the Falcons website.

4400 Falcon Parkway
Flowery Branch, GA
ATLANTAFALCONS.COM
July 19, 2007
A Message to our Fans:
We know you’re anxious to hear more from us regarding the indictment of Michael Vick
and its implications to the Falcons. Please be assured that we are working diligently on
exploring our options and getting the right people involved in this situation.
is is an emotionally charged and complicated matter. ere are a wide range of interests
and legal issues that need to be carefully considered as we move ahead, including our need to
respect the due process that Michael is entitled to. Also, this situation affects everyone – our
club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among
them – so we must consider all of our customers in making any decisions.
Given the differing perspectives and strong feelings around this issue, we probably won’t
make everyone happy, but we are committed to doing the right thing. As the owner of this
club that’s, ultimately, my responsibility.
In the meantime, know that I’m saddened and distressed about this – not for myself, but for
our fans and community who have been so loyal to us. We will do our very best to continue
to earn your support.
Arthur M. Blank
Owner & CEO

This may have already been posted, saw it on the Falcons website.

4400 Falcon Parkway
Flowery Branch, GA
ATLANTAFALCONS.COM
July 19, 2007
A Message to our Fans:
We know you’re anxious to hear more from us regarding the indictment of Michael Vick
and its implications to the Falcons. Please be assured that we are working diligently on
exploring our options and getting the right people involved in this situation.
is is an emotionally charged and complicated matter. ere are a wide range of interests
and legal issues that need to be carefully considered as we move ahead, including our need to
respect the due process that Michael is entitled to. Also, this situation affects everyone – our
club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among
them – so we must consider all of our customers in making any decisions.
Given the differing perspectives and strong feelings around this issue, we probably won’t
make everyone happy, but we are committed to doing the right thing. As the owner of this
club that’s, ultimately, my responsibility.
In the meantime, know that I’m saddened and distressed about this – not for myself, but for
our fans and community who have been so loyal to us. We will do our very best to continue
to earn your support.
Arthur M. Blank
Owner & CEO

Let the spin begin!

Whatever! My dog is smarter! LOL!!!! I kid, I kid!!!! My four are ridiculous! I have no Pits but I love them too!
My Ridgeback mix is a flake and we call him the 'cartoon dog', he has great facial expressions and talks a lot! My Malamute is a screamer! He really screams his head off if you make him do something he doesn't want to do, like get shots at the vet! It's kind of embarrasing! :eek:

Whatever! My dog is smarter! LOL!!!! I kid, I kid!!!! My four are ridiculous! I have no Pits but I love them too!
My Ridgeback mix is a flake and we call him the 'cartoon dog', he has great facial expressions and talks a lot! My Malamute is a screamer! He really screams his head off if you make him do something he doesn't want to do, like get shots at the vet! It's kind of embarrasing! :eek:

LOL! If we mention the V word both dogs, Rottie and Pit, run for the hills. If we mention the B word, the Rott comes running because he likes his back scratch for the suds, the Pit runs and tries to hide under the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jangelyn