Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use social media, so all the references to Facebook are completely meaningless. Yes, it has been suggested that an account is not required to see the page, but I can assure you that the comments are not visible to non-facebook users. I feel like I'm reading pages of references to Facebook rather than anything of substance.

Could someone please bring me up to speed on what information on Facebook is relevant?
Thanks

On a public page, comments are visible to a non-Facebook-user. (I just read the comment on the "find Nicole" page without logging into Facebook.) But you have to tap on "visitors' posts," or "comments" for the comments to show.

otto, I'm behind a few pages, so perhaps someone already addresses this for you.

I live in Charlottesville, about an hour south of where Nicole's car was found. I wanted to address a few common themes here...

The fire: Forest fires in the park or around this area aren't uncommon. I feel like I hear about one every few weeks in the warmer months. It has been pretty warm and dry the past few days and got to 90 here in Cville today. Given that this fire is in the western part of the park and nowhere near where her vehicle was found, I really think it's just a coincidence. But maybe I'm wrong.

Accidents/animals: I haven't hiked White Oak Canyon, but Crabtree Falls, another popular waterfall hike in VA, is notorious for hikers going off trail, slipping on the rocks and falling to their deaths. 29 deaths total, per Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crabtree_Falls). I don't know exactly where she'd end up if this happened at the falls near where her car was found, if her body would be easily visible to others or not.

It's also possible she encountered a venomous copperhead or rattlesnake and was unable to get a signal to call for help, but probably someone would have found her. It also seems likely that a bear attack would leave behind evidence.

Suicide: You never know what's going on in someone's head. Even if her friends and family thought she seemed happy and her usual self, I will not rule out suicide until LE proves something else.

I agree with your last statement, but wanted to point out that there are vast differences between Crabtree Falls & White Oak Canyon, and the degree of preparedness/seriousness of the folks who would go to each. Not to say that accidents can't happen in the backcountry, but reckless behavior is more common at Crabtree Falls (the tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi River), a serious of cascades, especially among the college-age sightseers whose age range encompasses most if not all fatal victims of falls....

Foul play is the most likely scenario IMHO.

I've spent what amounts to weeks of my life in the backcountry of SNP, alone, with dogs, with people, for as long as 6 consecutive days and nights (well there was an overnight campground stay and one night at the lodge that trip...). Anyway, while foul play is a possibility, it's such a rare thing there. As someone who has spent time alone, and who has stumbled and fell off a trail a couple of times, and ventured well off the trail in search of a perfect campsite or summit view, I know that I could have disappeared and not been found for weeks or maybe longer. There are numerous search and rescue operations in that area every year and I have witnessed one in the canyon firsthand. I have waited in my truck while Skyline drive was blocked by rangers, to eventually see a medevac helicopter take off with an unfortunate hiker on board. Foul play is everyone's worst fear and I think that brings it to the forefront, but a person could go missing in the wilderness and if they were wearing colors that blend with the surroundings and weren't out in the open, a searcher could walk right by and it wouldn't be their fault. Once, in the military, during escape and evasion training, one of the bad guys walked over to my hiding place, stood over me and as he adjusted his belt I was a little worried that he was going to relieve himself on my position. I went out turkey hunting and had another hunter stalk right beside me and never knew I was there. Granted both times I was trying not to be seen, but there are thousands of nooks and crannies out there that someone could tumble into.

I acknowledge the possibility. My girlfriend and I were out backpacking in '96, 3-day weekend, heading north near Skyland. We passed the 2 girls and their retriever heading south Saturday afternoon. First was the happy golden that put a smile on my face, maybe 50 yards behind was the first girl who had a scowl on her face and did not return my smile, followed by the second girl 50 yards further back who met my smile with what seemed to be an apologetic smile. I don't remember much else except their packs and general appearance. When we got home and heard what happened about a week later I was quite wierded out. I called the hotline but there was not much that I could contribute.

Her husband spoke at the press conference this morning.

For those of us who were unable to watch, would someone provide a recap of the presser? TIA

Just saw a bit on NBC news last night about police using Fitbit data to verify alibis and whatnot. This may have been mentioned before but I wonder if her SM pics show a Fitbit on her wrist.

Some thoughts:

- If she was injured and let's say suffered from a fall or concussion and it is somehow incapacitated, how long is the trail? How long would it take to find her?

- She took off on the fly without letting anyone know? The husband, a friend, her sister, a coworker? In the middle of the week? Let's say this happened; it would be really a set of unique circumstances a predator would take advantage off, kind of the perfect storm for a random abduction (given the size of the SNP, the time, the fact that she was a female and was alone).

- If she never made to the park and her vehicle was placed there to throw attention to the site (and imply she is in the trail) there is a lot of space between Woodbridge and Syria to be looked out.

Without a timeline is very hard to tell. I personally do not know this lady but I haven't read any indications that point towards suicide. Not enough info yet.

Some thoughts:

- If she was injured and let's say suffered from a fall or concussion and it is somehow incapacitated, how long is the trail? How long would it take to find her?

- She took off on the fly without letting anyone know? The husband, a friend, her sister, a coworker? In the middle of the week? Let's say this happened; it would be really a set of unique circumstances a predator would take advantage off, kind of the perfect storm for a random abduction (given the size of the SNP, the time, the fact that she was a female and was alone).

- If she never made to the park and her vehicle was placed there to throw attention to the site (and imply she is in the trail) there is a lot of space between Woodbridge and Syria to be looked out.

Without a timeline is very hard to tell. I personally do not know this lady but I haven't read any indications that point towards suicide. Not enough info yet.

http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/WhiteOakCedarRun/

this is the trail that I keep seeing being mentioned.

Also it's about 84 miles from woodbridge to syria (about an hour and forty minute drive) if you take 95 down to Fredericksburg then head out towards Syria. 76 miles if she just took US 29.

Were any questions answered? Has it been confirmed if Nicole's car was spotted in the lot prior to the day it was found? Is there any reason to believe it wasn't there in those days prior? Did LE ask specifically about anyone seeing the vehicle in the lot or her on the trails to contact them? These are some of the things I was hoping to learn from the presser.

Were any questions answered? Has it been confirmed if Nicole's car was spotted in the lot prior to the day it was found? Is there any reason to believe it wasn't there in those days prior? Did LE ask specifically about anyone seeing the vehicle in the lot or her on the trails to contact them? These are some of the things I was hoping to learn from the presser.

They were very tight lipped. Just asked if anyone spotted her on Wednesday to let them know. Timeline was specifically brought up by a reporter and the fire chief declined to have the husband answer the question. Wonder why the refusal to state the little bit they do know?

Just saw a bit on NBC news last night about police using Fitbit data to verify alibis and whatnot. This may have been mentioned before but I wonder if her SM pics show a Fitbit on her wrist.

Feel sorry for the police then, Fitbit data can be all over the place. For people with multiple devices, they can compare but if one only has a Fitbit they tend to take the data as accurate Take today for example for me Soleus has calories at 504, Fitbit has 479 and actual was closer to 620 but neither can calculate that I was using an incline of 15 on treadmill + weight vest which adds more resistance to exercise. They were fairly close today, some days the discrepancies are further apart by quite a bit. Fitbit is worn on dominant wrist . For the most part it is pretty good HR tends to be accurate but at times it does not register sleep correctly etc, so I am not sure how this would stand up in court without challenge

I find it odd that LE is putting out a "911 call to the public", yet has released so little information to the public about what they know. What we have so far is a woman went missing sometime between Wednesday and Friday and somewhere between Woodbridge and a parking lot in SNP where her car was found. No indication has been given how long the car was there. The parking lot is a 2 hour drive from Woodbridge. My point here is that LE MUST know more that is being made public. The presser is a distraction. I would be curious about scanner activity at or around the time of the presser. My guess is warrants were being served concurrently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it odd that LE is putting out a "911 call to the public", yet has released so little information to the public about what they know. What we have so far is a woman went missing sometime between Wednesday and Friday and somewhere between Woodbridge and a parking lot in SNP where her car was found. No indication has been given how long the car was there. The parking lot is a 2 hour drive from Woodbridge. My point here is that LE MUST know more that is being made public. The presser is a distraction. I would be curious about scanner activity at or around the time of the presser. My guess is warrants were being served concurrently.

BBM
Served to whom?

Isn't the most common reaction after someone commits suicide "we had no idea"?

There actually aren't many psychopaths with bad intentions out there. TV just makes you think that.

With all due respect, there are loads of bad and evil people with ill intent. We see it here dozens of times every day and there are 100s of cases that never get mentioned on tv. I have no idea what has happened to Nicole, as I just began reading here but I would say if anything, TV minimizes the amount of lurking predators there are because they are far more busy telling us what a kardashian had for dinner.

ETA , Sometimes I am sad that I joined WS because I used to live in a world where I thought we were safe. The amount of missing and murdered people is overwhelming and staggering.

Yes, from the tidbits I'm gathering from the presser, it sounds a lot more like foul play being involved than they're letting on.

The press conference was not law enforcement, it was the fire chief i.e. her boss. Essentially a "we're thinking of you" type thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator