Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:welcome4:

Thanks for the welcome.

Also, I just wanted to add a response to some comments I've seen about it being unusual terrain for someone to train on for a race - I've hiked both Old Rag and White Oak Canyon Ceder Falls. From looking at the map, if she parked at the Lower White Oak Canyon parking lot (not the one off Skyline) which seems to be the conclusion from other posts here, then ran/hiked up the White Oak Canyon Trail she could cut over on fairly flat trails/fire roads to other trails that would be fantastic for running, White Oak Canyon to Old Rag Fire Road and back to the White Oak parking from the Berry Hollow Fire Road. It looks like she could have planned a pretty good trail running circuit and avoided the more treacherous hikes, specifically the difficult (rock scrambles) part of Old Rag that have previously been described here. Plus, I'm not in the greatest of shape and I was able to hike them - I'd imagine at her fitness level, she'd think nothing of running there. (here is the map again) https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whiteoak_canyon_area.pdf

I didn't see when exactly they closed the trails to search for her, but with the beautiful weather this past weekend, if she were injured a short distance off any of the trails that are being searched, she would have likely been noticed by hikers since Old Rag and White Oak Canyon are very popular on nice weekends.

I think the police suspect that she went to SNP on her own but she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and some creeper snatched her off the trail.

I saw one exactly like it at Giant yesterday. This was the only reason I noticed. Maybe it's just me. Don't think I would have otherwise.
Yep, nothing that rare about a Mini Cooper. People in that area are used to cars from Northern VA coming through there all the time to use the trails, I doubt her car would have been "out of place".

Read where? I have seen nothing about a "husband/father dynamic"

I was wondering, too. Is there a link? I am not familiar with the Jennifer Huston case, but am reading up on it, now.

Mostly it has to do with certain lack of specifics. However, I just learned this was a presser from the fire department and not one called by the VSP which may be the reason why.
I do still have a feeling of foul play.

Other thoughts . .
Suicide? Possible, but not likely imho. Fitness and endorphins! Plus we've heard nothing to indicate trouble or dissatisfaction in personal/professional life.
Accident on trail? Unlikely, because I believe she would have be found.
Accident off trail? Possible, but hikers are more likely to go off-trail, not runners.

The above is only my personal opinions that weigh in as to why I lean more towards foul play.

Self quoting because I wanted to make a change in regard to a possible suicide.
From information I've read "underground", it is apparent she was bullied as far back as December of last year. The site I read was one in which all information should be considered rumor and opinion, so I will not mention the details of anything written. I am just sharing as I do believe if Nicole was aware of the things that were being said, then it would have altered her emotional state.

From information I've read "underground", it is apparent she was bullied as far back as December of last year. The site I read was one in which all information should be considered rumor and opinion, so I will not mention the details of anything written. I am just sharing as I do believe if Nicole was aware of the things that were being said, then it would have altered her emotional state.
I know what site you are referencing and I wouldn't rely on anything found there.

I think her family or one of her friends said she was aware and that played a significant role in her shutting down all her social media

I think the police suspect that she went to SNP on her own but she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and some creeper snatched her off the trail.

Based on your knowledge of the area, where would an assailant take her? Is there like camps? I never saw any.

Based on your knowledge of the area, where would an assailant take her? Is there like camps? I never saw any.

There aren't any "camps" right near this area. There is a ranger station (on fire road) relatively close. And given it is national parks week I would be surprised if someone would take her to a public area. Can you clarify camp? Are you talking about places for hikers to stop and spend the night? Or something else?

Two other women missing from this area were found off state route 3 in Lignum.

I would start asking the farmers, horseback trail riders, hunt clubs, and the like to keep an eye out for recently disturbed areas- and new tire tracks. Rain is headed this way by the end of the week. They need to find something soon.

My thoughts echo that of other posters- if she wasn't found this weekend, when the park would have been busy with good weather- she might not be there anymore at all.

The little bit I read about presser and the husband/father dynamic is giving me major Jennifer Huston flashbacks. I hope we see a better outcome for Nicole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jennifer case was local for me. A sad case of suicide. What dynamic were you comparing too? Locals only saw that the parents were in denial about suicide and the husband knew that suicude was a route taken early on because of her history with depression medication.

I did a little edit above regarding drive time, I guess while you were posting this.
Yes the drive can be challenging too, especially coming home in the dark after a hard day hiking in the mountains.

Your post prompted a question I have. As I don't hike, run, or cross train, for someone as fit as NM, what would a likely workout scenario be? Does one run for an hour, climb rocks for an hour? What exactly is the purpose/benefit for exercising on one of these trails?

When I rode horses, I would often go trail riding by myself for hours. I didn't tell anyone in my family I was going. I just went. As there were many trail possibilities, if I had fallen and couldn't get up, the horse would have gone back to the barn. However, it would probably take days for anyone to figure out where I had gone. With this said, I understand the need for doing something Isolar, not informing family, being at one with nature. And being at peace. I also understand that I was not very smart at the time.

I just wanted to say that there are a lot of really good posts here, especially by locals giving information and their thoughts on the area.

I don't know the area that well - just the trails themselves. I love hiking, but I'm not venturing very far off the trails to chance an encounter with a copperhead. There is a camping area near the beginning of White Oak Canyon - I don't know if a back country camping permit would be needed there or not. She's not that big of a person, so if she was overpowered, someone could have drug her into the woods or, I suppose into a car parked along skyline or any parking area. There is also a little camping shelter along Old Rag but I'm sure they would have checked that right away. I don't know of any actual camps on SNP lands, I don't think people have private property within the park.

Bringing forth the latest msm as I come across it:

Officials plead for public’s help in search for missing Fairfax County firefighter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cd4002-062f-11e6-b283-e79d81c63c1b_story.html

"Authorities pleaded Tuesday for the public’s help in finding a missing Fairfax County firefighter as search-and-rescue efforts continued in Shenandoah National Park."

Snip

"Over the weekend, a park ranger found Mittendorff’s cream-colored 2009 Mini Cooper parked near the popular hiking spot of Old Rag Mountain. Officials would not give any indication about what, if anything, was found inside the car. Park officials closed some trails in that area to search.

On Monday, officials said there is “still no evidence to indicate anything suspicious” about Mittendorff’s disappearance, according to a statement. Crews stopped looking at sundown Monday, because of the “steep, challenging terrain” in part of the forest, and search efforts resumed Tuesday."

I know what site you are referencing and I wouldn't rely on anything found there.
Of course not. The point I was making is it is evidence of her being previously bullied and the potential impact the bullying itself may have had on her.

I keep reading how popular this area is for hiking, wouldn't there be at least one person who saw her there ?

"The search effort has focused around the White Oak Canyon Trail in Madison County. The Virginia State Police and U.S. Park Police are using officers trained in search-and-rescue tasks, dogs and aircraft.

Some members of the fire department who are part of a K-9 search-and-rescue team have also gone to the national park to help in the search. An Appalachian Trail hiking group is also helping."

Snip

"Mittendorff’s husband is listed in an online profile as a first sergeant and the area commander for the Arlington Field Office of the Virginia State Police. Mittendorff comes from a family of law enforcement officers and firefighters."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cd4002-062f-11e6-b283-e79d81c63c1b_story.html

I don't know the area that well - just the trails themselves. I love hiking, but I'm not venturing very far off the trails to chance an encounter with a copperhead. There is a camping area near the beginning of White Oak Canyon - I don't know if a back country camping permit would be needed there or not. She's not that big of a person, so if she was overpowered, someone could have drug her into the woods or, I suppose into a car parked along skyline or any parking area. There is also a little camping shelter along Old Rag but I'm sure they would have checked that right away. I don't know of any actual camps on SNP lands, I don't think people have private property within the park.
While she is pretty small, I'm not convinced someone could carry/drag her effectively in this environment. There is camping, but I think mostly along Skyline Drive, a five mile hike from her car, and not very secluded area.

ETA The campgrounds are large, either cabins, pads, tent sites, or all. No back country camping.

central.jpg

Car was around the 643 by 231. Closest camp is Lewis Mountain, which is quite far, approx. 5 miles through the woods then 10 miles down Skyline.

Police Intensify Search for Missing Firefighter With About 100 Officials Involved
http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-int...hter-100-officials-involved/story?id=38500764

"About 100 federal, state and volunteer search-and-rescue teams spent Monday searching in the Shenandoah National Forest for Mittendorff, according to officials.

Police had to conclude their search efforts at sundown because of the steep, challenging terrain of the area in which they were searching, but added they would begin again early this morning.

The search is concentrated around White Oak Canyon Trail, where Mittendorff's car was found Saturday evening. There was still no evidence to indicate foul play, according to police."

Increased Search Efforts Announced For Virginia Firefighter Missing Four Days
http://abcnews.go.com/US/nicole-sea...ghter-days-reported-missing/story?id=38506386

"Police and firefighters in Fairfax, Virginia gathered Tuesday at the fire department to announce increased efforts -- and to request for tips from the public -- in their search for missing firefighter-paramedic Nicole Mittendorff. Her family joined in the public call for help."

Snip

""Very motivated, very dedicated firefighter paramedic," Fairfax fire chief Richard R. Bowers Jr. said. "Always happy, always wanting to help people, and she fit right into the fire and rescue department.""

There are some camping areas near White Oak Canyon- There is a mountain lodge near there with camping grounds & cabins for rent. They might be pretty busy because of the nice weather but it would be worth checking them all out to make sure the vacant ones aren't being occupied unannounced.

As far as Campgrounds in SNP I am not aware of any. It is kinda known to be a camp as you go park.

Good information about the trail how to get there and camping in the area: ​http://www.summitpost.org/whiteoak-canyon/229998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214