VA - Scott Fricker, 48, & Buckley Kuhn-Fricker, 43, slain, Reston, 22 Dec 2017 *daughter’s bf charged*

• Thread starter Deleted member 158085
  • Start date
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was just looking at comments on the Root site. It's as toxic as the Fairfield Underground site someone mentioned earlier. Felt like needed a shower after each of them.

The level of hate, ignorance, prejudice and bigotry in some is just shocking, and depressing - we'll never reach those people, they'll never change who they are. Hopefully we can reach more of the younger generations though.

The level of hate, ignorance, prejudice and bigotry in some is just shocking, and depressing - we'll never reach those people, they'll never change who they are. Hopefully we can reach more of the younger generations though.

I'm afraid to look.

This is a very messed up case.
I'm conflicted about his mental illness and if there is a chance he could be rehabilitated ?
Although there are some who can do all the good they want-- as long as it's behind bars and they're not free to roam in public.
Part of me wants him to face the firing squad.
But that's not going to happen.... and is maybe too severe of a punishment ?

The other side is -- if he's mentally ill ; he may not understand that what he did was wrong. Aside from the swastika -- he may not have been a hardened white supremacist. And did he know what that symbol represented ?

Would he (with treatment) be able to live a normal, healthy-minded life in about 5 or 10 years ?
Is there someone to help him ?

This is a difficult case and my initial reaction is that he should never see the light of day -- but die behind bars.

A close friend has agreed to disagree with me :) and she's said I need to work on my compassion for people instead of judging them.

Is it possible people are thinking the Fricker's should have done nothing... and thus appeased the killer and not "precipitated" this violence ?
I don't know.

My .02 is that neither of the victims were too over the top in the way they tried to handle this.. Some parents might have reacted much more forcefully.

Rest forever in gentle peace , Scott and Buckley !
I don't think that either of them deserved their fate.
:moo:

From what I've read so far, it doesn't seem like he has an organic mental illness. Perhaps a personality disorder or something similar. He was able to attend an exclusive private school, maintaining his grades well enough to remain there. People with real mental illness usually have a difficult time functioning on a day to day basis and struggle with school. He had horrid beliefs and was making some bad choices in life, but it doesn't sound like mental illness like bipolar disorder, paranoid schizophrenia, etc. He also knew enough to hide his beliefs and activities from the parents and others. Mentally ill people are usually incapable of doing that, of recognizing what they're doing is wrong or harmful to others.

Has it yet been determined how he was able to acquire the gun he used to kill everyone?

The site TheRoots.com posters say that the mother's FB page, which has been either closed or made private, had angry posts about physically punishing kids who didn't stand for Pledge Allegiance, anger over kneeling football players and of deporting all illegals. We all see those angry bitter posts all over the place these days so of course these same people are verbalizing it at home also, We've seen the posts about him mowing gigantic swastika in community playing field, and the neighbours going to the parents over it, saying they all knew he was troubled young man. There are pictures online of the alleged murderer wearing t-shirts with Nazi symbols and slogans, shirts they had to see him wearing and probably gave him the money for. So I can't buy in to the "parents didn't know anything about his neo-nazi" beliefs, or that he was acting out on them in ways they were aware of. According to recorded interview of unnamed close family member, the house the family live in is pretty impressive, very nice, upper middle class, raising an angry bitter prejudiced violent neo-nazi. Murder is a giant leap, but perhaps poor Mrs. Kuhn-Fricker was the very first adult in his life to firmly say "no, not in my home" to him. Two families utterly destroyed by this brutal act of violence from hatred, anger, ignorance and prejudice.

Thanks for that information. If true, it confirms my suspicion that some of the killer's behavior and beliefs were learned at home. It also seems highly unlikely the parents didn't know about his extreme beliefs and potential for violent behavior.

It's so sad that our society is becoming sicker and sicker as these dangerous beliefs are held in high esteem by so many, even the most powerful people in our country. As more and more of our leaders, media personalities and prominent citizens validate and praise these beliefs, these violent incidents will continue to increase.

My kids are older now, but if I were a parent with teenage children, especially daughters, I would definitely consider reporting to police any incidents when a teen is entering my home at night without permission. Maybe if this guy had been reported to LE, they could have searched the home and taken away his guns.

It's not a place for the timid... They can smell fear...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I should have been more clear when I wrote that I'm afraid to look at those dark sites. My feeling is more of disgust.

jmo

This is a very messed up case.
I'm conflicted about his mental illness and if there is a chance he could be rehabilitated ?
Although there are some who can do all the good they want-- as long as it's behind bars and they're not free to roam in public.
Part of me wants him to face the firing squad.
But that's not going to happen.... and is maybe too severe of a punishment ?

The other side is -- if he's mentally ill ; he may not understand that what he did was wrong. Aside from the swastika -- he may not have been a hardened white supremacist. And did he know what that symbol represented ?

Would he (with treatment) be able to live a normal, healthy-minded life in about 5 or 10 years ?
Is there someone to help him ?

This is a difficult case and my initial reaction is that he should never see the light of day -- but die behind bars.

A close friend has agreed to disagree with me :) and she's said I need to work on my compassion for people instead of judging them.

Is it possible people are thinking the Fricker's should have done nothing... and thus appeased the killer and not "precipitated" this violence ?

I don't know.

My .02 is that neither of the victims were too over the top in the way they tried to handle this.. Some parents might have reacted much more forcefully.

Rest forever in gentle peace , Scott and Buckley !
I don't think that either of them deserved their fate.
:moo:

BBM
A couple of thoughts ..

Regarding rehabilitation... Would you want him living next door to you? Would your compassionate friend want him dating her daughter? He's 17. He attended a good school and was able to function in society. He was not insane. He knew right from wrong, and he murdered two people. He is a danger to society and should at a minimum be behind bars for the rest of his life. I'm hoping they go for the death penalty.

I'm a bit hesitant to say this, because I in no way condone their beliefs, but despite their beliefs most white supremacists are able to control their actions and not commit murder. (an observation, no blowback please, their rhetoric has certainly contributed to countless crimes and murders)

Regarding appeasement... I do think a more moderate approach may have been more successful and avoided violence. Also, a long term view of the situation, very few teen age romances last. Would he have murdered them anyway? Maybe, there's no telling.

Another random thought... He had a history of *ahem* visiting the daughter at night. I'm wondering what their reaction was to that? From what has been reported, Buckley asked for an alarm system the day before the murders. Why not when they first realized he was visiting at night? I wonder what they thought of the boy and the relationship prior to finding out about the Neo Nazi beliefs? Were they ok with her spending hours on the phone with him?

Trying to understand what family dynamics were like over the last few months. Had they been biting their tongues for months, waiting for the relationship to burn itself out? Were they ok with, or at least accepting of, the nighttime visits and apparent sexual activity? (Some parents are shockingly permissive, IMO) Were they opposed to him all along or was there a complete and sudden change?

My kids are older now, but if I were a parent with teenage children, especially daughters, I would definitely consider reporting to police any incidents when a teen is entering my home at night without permission. Maybe if this guy had been reported to LE, they could have searched the home and taken away his guns.

BBM and snipped for focus

I don't think there's anything LE would or could have done. Virginia has a Romeo and Juliet exception to the statutory rape laws, and presumably the daughter was opening the door for him.

BBM
A couple of thoughts ..

Regarding rehabilitation... Would you want him living next door to you? Would your compassionate friend want him dating her daughter? He's 17. He attended a good school and was able to function in society. He was not insane. He knew right from wrong, and he murdered two people. He is a danger to society and should at a minimum be behind bars for the rest of his life. I'm hoping they go for the death penalty.

I'm a bit hesitant to say this, because I in no way condone their beliefs, but despite their beliefs most white supremacists are able to control their actions and not commit murder. (an observation, no blowback please, their rhetoric has certainly contributed to countless crimes and murders)

Regarding appeasement... I do think a more moderate approach may have been more successful and avoided violence. Also, a long term view of the situation, very few teen age romances last. Would he have murdered them anyway? Maybe, there's no telling.

Another random thought... He had a history of *ahem* visiting the daughter at night. I'm wondering what their reaction was to that? From what has been reported, Buckley asked for an alarm system the day before the murders. Why not when they first realized he was visiting at night? I wonder what they thought of the boy and the relationship prior to finding out about the Neo Nazi beliefs? Were they ok with her spending hours on the phone with him?

Trying to understand what family dynamics were like over the last few months. Had they been biting their tongues for months, waiting for the relationship to burn itself out? Were they ok with, or at least accepting of, the nighttime visits and apparent sexual activity? (Some parents are shockingly permissive, IMO) Were they opposed to him all along or was there a complete and sudden change?

BBM

Yes, I’d like to know the family dynamics during the time their daughter was dating him, since last summer. And we know nothing about their daughter’s personality, except that her grandmother described her as “sweet and naive.” While that certainly could have changed under the influence of the boyfriend, she also could have already had a strong will and made life miserable for her parents when reeled in.

Our daughter (“born with a law degree” I’ve often said) would do that. She could argue her side like a pro and it could be exhausting. We picked our battles and I can well imagine that her parents may have done the same. It’s sometimes hard to know which battles to fight, and I remember allowing excessively long phone conversations with friends. But I also remember acting swiftly and decisively when our values were violated or we saw things heading in that direction, like her parents did. Fortunately, despite some bumps in the road, our daughter turned out well, but that’s never guaranteed.

I really think their daughter’s personality and will is the unknown factor in this tragedy. She clearly knew her parents’ firm stand but allowed him into the house anyway. Did he wear her down or was she being sneakily defiant? I have other questions that I probably should leave unasked.

I don't think there's anything LE would or could have done. Virginia has a Romeo and Juliet exception to the statutory rape laws, and presumably the daughter was opening the door for him.

And I doubt LE could have gotten a search warrant for his parents’ home on the basis of his sneaking in and hate speech.

There may not be much they could have done. Possibly lock him up in juvie for a few days, etc. At 17, it might be enough to put enough fear in young neo-Nazis/alt right males to slow their roll, so to speak. It would also put the parents on alert to start paying attention to the teen's activities instead of shrugging it off (as it seemed they may have done).

Most important, it puts the kid on the list of local LE for future observation. If they're a high quality police force, they'll keep an eye on the alt right troublemakers in their community to prevent further vandalism and violence. That said, some local LE may be sympathetic to those sick views. Maybe its time for local government officials and homeowners everywhere to realize that ignoring neoNazi activity in their communities will lower real estate values and tax revenue. Some people only understand $$$, and if that's what it takes to convince them to reject these bigots, well so be it.

The Root is a great site. I learn so much reading there. It's nothing like Reddit, Topix, Breitbart, Fairfield Underground. It's a legitimate site which aggregates news related to race and social justice. The comments provide super valuable insight, with the usual smattering of trolls one gets on any site that offers a space for commentary. And frankly, sometimes the truth hurts.

The Root is a great site. I learn so much reading there. It's nothing like Reddit, Topix, Breitbart, Fairfield Underground. It's a legitimate site which aggregates news related to race and social justice. The comments provide super valuable insight, with the usual smattering of trolls one gets on any site that offers a space for commentary. And frankly, sometimes the truth hurts.

We also can't combat that which we don't know about, or see so as ugly as it is - we need to see it. If the twitter account reported to be his is indeed his, there's a lot of prejudice, hate fostered by falsehoods, factoids - the anti-semitism is shocking. So many issues many of us thought were behind us are even more ingrained (Civil Rights, Bigotry, Anti-Semitism, Sexism, Equality) - and now it's this generation's turn to fight for them. If his parents knew of his anti-semitic neo-nazi beliefs and did nothing to address that - shame on them - neo-nazism cannot be treated as a "phase" someone is going through - it's a dangerous it's violent and it's based on total lie. The twitter account reputed to be his stopped tweeting around 12/22. (@[FONT=&quot]doctorpepper35) .[/FONT]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Columba64
Back