VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When I look at the images you have provided of shoes of an unknown person they don't look like the shoe soles of the POI. I don't see a black diagonal reinforced area to the white sole of the POI's shoes. Singling out an individual because the shoes they are wearing are black with white soles means several hundred thousand people who own shoes like that, me included, are now considered POI's? If you think this person could be a valid POI, please advise LE and let them do the investigation.

About a knife being used in the murder. If it was a knife, we have no idea if it was a kitchen knife with a serrated blade or a wide blade like a chef's knife. If it was the perp's knife it could be a drop point, a dagger or a Bowie knife. After guns, knives are the next cause of death. Since many knife murders are domestic in nature, kitchen knives rank high in cutting instruments. All those different knife blades leave different entry wounds. Until LE release the type of injuries inflicted on SR we can only speculate on cause of death.

If the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene I would presume a knife (if that was the murder weapon) would also be cleaned. If bleach was used to clean the crime scene, most homes have bleach as a cleaning agent in their homes so it's unlikely the perp brought their own. Cleaning up could have been as simple as taking a shower to clean up residual blood spatter on their own person.

I initially wondered if the POI was a female but after reviewing the video umpteen times I believe it is male. I still wonder if the funny little hitch in his walk is because he's injured. An up close and personal murder can inflict injuries on the killer, especially if the attack involved close contact. Because SR was found in his bedroom the obvious place a person considers the location of death is the bed but that's not necessarily so. If a person was killed in their bed especially if their death was a violent one it would be almost impossible to clean up, IMO.

It's kind of unusual that there is absolutely no follow ups to this murder investigation since January of this year. I can't find one news outlet with an update. I don't know if that means the investigation has run out of steam or they are building a case against a likely suspect.

It must be very frustrating for the family to see that Scott's murder appears to be old news now. However, the fact that they remain quiet on the subject makes me hopeful it's because the investigation is making inroads. I have heard rumours about this murder, though.
As someone who lived in Arlington right out of college, I am completely shocked and dismayed that the murder of a young professional in Arlington has been under the radar like this. This should be getting Chandra Levy level attention. It really upsets me that it’s not. But I know Scott had many close friends and family and I really believe they could bring this case much greater attention if they would just do interviews. The fact that they are not, gives me a grain of hope that LE is building a case… but only a grain at this point. Horrifying. :(

Yes. If the family is not getting updates, they need to drum up more noise. Unfortunately, the loudest cases that go viral tend to get more resources and attention for investigation as there is public pressure.

When I look at the images you have provided of shoes of an unknown person they don't look like the shoe soles of the POI. I don't see a black diagonal reinforced area to the white sole of the POI's shoes. Singling out an individual because the shoes they are wearing are black with white soles means several hundred thousand people who own shoes like that, me included, are now considered POI's? If you think this person could be a valid POI, please advise LE and let them do the investigation.

About a knife being used in the murder. If it was a knife, we have no idea if it was a kitchen knife with a serrated blade or a wide blade like a chef's knife. If it was the perp's knife it could be a drop point, a dagger or a Bowie knife. After guns, knives are the next cause of death. Since many knife murders are domestic in nature, kitchen knives rank high in cutting instruments. All those different knife blades leave different entry wounds. Until LE release the type of injuries inflicted on SR we can only speculate on cause of death.

If the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene I would presume a knife (if that was the murder weapon) would also be cleaned. If bleach was used to clean the crime scene, most homes have bleach as a cleaning agent in their homes so it's unlikely the perp brought their own. Cleaning up could have been as simple as taking a shower to clean up residual blood spatter on their own person.

I initially wondered if the POI was a female but after reviewing the video umpteen times I believe it is male. I still wonder if the funny little hitch in his walk is because he's injured. An up close and personal murder can inflict injuries on the killer, especially if the attack involved close contact. Because SR was found in his bedroom the obvious place a person considers the location of death is the bed but that's not necessarily so. If a person was killed in their bed especially if their death was a violent one it would be almost impossible to clean up, IMO.

It's kind of unusual that there is absolutely no follow ups to this murder investigation since January of this year. I can't find one news outlet with an update. I don't know if that means the investigation has run out of steam or they are building a case against a likely suspect.

It must be very frustrating for the family to see that Scott's murder appears to be old news now. However, the fact that they remain quiet on the subject makes me hopeful it's because the investigation is making inroads. I have heard rumours about this murder, though.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by a black reinforcement line? Also I am obviously singling out someone specific and not a random person who fits into a large group who just happens to own these type of shoes. I'm not sure what you mean about letting them do their job. I am in no way interfering or trying to hamper their efforts. Keep in mind they are asking for peoples help. I have spoken to LE already but not about this specifically but I plan to relay to them anything that I think is relevant.

The person dressed in black presented by Police in the cctv, is pigeon-toed in both the arrival and the departure. It is the person's natural gait and not one caused from injuries during the murder. mhoo

Cue: Arrin Stoner video
AS also did gait analysis in the Missy Bevers murder by SP in the TX church

"Singling out an individual because the shoes they are wearing are black with white soles means several hundred thousand people who own shoes like that, me included"

Are you able to describe the Nike swoosh logo on your shoes?
To me, either the shoes are sold with a dark colored swoosh or the POI has darkened the swoosh themselves.
TIA

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by a black reinforcement line? Also I am obviously singling out someone specific and not a random person who fits into a large group who just happens to own these type of shoes. I'm not sure what you mean about letting them do their job. I am in no way interfering or trying to hamper their efforts. Keep in mind they are asking for peoples help. I have spoken to LE already but not about this specifically but I plan to relay to them anything that I think is relevant.

If you are singling out someone specific, I presume you have a reason to do so. If that is the case, allow LE to review your information and let them decide whether your information in relevant and helpful.

"Singling out an individual because the shoes they are wearing are black with white soles means several hundred thousand people who own shoes like that, me included"

To me, either the shoes are sold with a dark colored swoosh or the POI has darkened the swoosh themselves.
TIA

My shoes are not a Nike product. They are black with a white sole. No swoosh. When I look at the blown up image @embufum provided I see a black area that is placed diagonally over half the surface of the heel area of the sole. I find that a distinctive design detail, one that does not appear (to me) to be on the sole of the POI's shoe in the police-released video.

TIA

I'm not convinced they are Nike. This is supposedly the style Nike and the suspects. They don't match as far as the sole pattern.

Attachments

• 2021-09-24 22.27.30 www.youtube.com 8424596faafc (2).jpg
    2021-09-24 22.27.30 www.youtube.com 8424596faafc (2).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 41
  • free-rn-2018-running-shoe-XMH6l5.jpg
    free-rn-2018-running-shoe-XMH6l5.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 37
I'm pretty sure I found the exact shoe. It is a Nike but the style is Nike Flex Experience Rn 9. If you look close you can see the print on the sole that says "Nike Flex" on the suspects shoe matching the other photo. This doesn't seem to be a common style. Here are some more pics. The last pic is of a woman's style and the Nike logo is not a sticker but part of the mesh of the fabric of the shoe. This may explain why it's not visible. If someone took a marker all they would have to do is color the fabric to match the rest of the shoe and it would be pretty much invisible.

Attachments

• 2268535_7000.jpg
    2268535_7000.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2021-09-24 22.27.30 www.youtube.com 8424596faafc (2).jpg
    2021-09-24 22.27.30 www.youtube.com 8424596faafc (2).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 221927_Gallery_4_0709835.jpg
    221927_Gallery_4_0709835.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 221927_Gallery_3_0709834.jpg
    221927_Gallery_3_0709834.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 221927_Gallery_5_0709837.jpg
    221927_Gallery_5_0709837.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 221927_Gallery_2_0709833.jpg
    221927_Gallery_2_0709833.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2021-09-25 02.10.46 www.kohls.com 1c724fd05dd4.jpg
    2021-09-25 02.10.46 www.kohls.com 1c724fd05dd4.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I found the exact shoe. It is a Nike but the style is Nike Flex Experience Rn 9. If you look close you can see the print on the sole that says "Nike Flex" on the suspects shoe matching the other photo. This doesn't seem to be a common style. Here are some more pics. The last pic is of a woman's style and the Nike logo is not a sticker but part of the mesh of the fabric of the shoe. This may explain why it's not visible. If someone took a marker all they would have to do is color the fabric to match the rest of the shoe and it would be pretty much invisible.

This style is slip-on; thereby, eliminating the need to stop to tie the laces.

Screams very well planned killing!

This guy was ready for a battle. I think these pics are pretty self explanatory. I always thought there was something odd about his build and the flare of the hood and bulges around the ears.

Attachments

• 1ffQ3r2 (3).png
    1ffQ3r2 (3).png
    268.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2021-09-26 03.30.53 www.amazon.com 6e45b669d42c.jpg
    2021-09-26 03.30.53 www.amazon.com 6e45b669d42c.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 2021-09-26 01.45.31 www.arlnow.com 16756b5c98cf1.jpg
    2021-09-26 01.45.31 www.arlnow.com 16756b5c98cf1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 2021-09-26 02.11.23 www.youtube.com 966f167a751f.jpg
    2021-09-26 02.11.23 www.youtube.com 966f167a751f.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2021-09-26 02.46.14 dye-paintball.ru 7d267ab0a4ab (2).jpg
    2021-09-26 02.46.14 dye-paintball.ru 7d267ab0a4ab (2).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 95
  • 2021-09-26 04.02.21 www.youtube.com 716f3fdb3a88 (2)3.jpg
    2021-09-26 04.02.21 www.youtube.com 716f3fdb3a88 (2)3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 2021-09-26 03.54.27 www.youtube.com 476b019c351d (2).jpg
    2021-09-26 03.54.27 www.youtube.com 476b019c351d (2).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 88
  • 2021-09-26 04.15.43 www.youtube.com 68eb391c6ef1 (2)4.jpg
    2021-09-26 04.15.43 www.youtube.com 68eb391c6ef1 (2)4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2021-09-26 03.57.01 www.amazon.com 12bd337cc15b2.jpg
    2021-09-26 03.57.01 www.amazon.com 12bd337cc15b2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Just my opinion, but this may explain the odd shapes and bulges. I've already forwarded the info to LE. Does anyone one of Scott's friends recognize who this could possibly be? I hope so.

Attachments

• 2021-09-26 01.45.31 www.arlnow.com 16756b5c98cf1.jpg
    2021-09-26 01.45.31 www.arlnow.com 16756b5c98cf1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 2021-09-26 03.50.43 www.amazon.com 38425e6eb95f1.jpg
    2021-09-26 03.50.43 www.amazon.com 38425e6eb95f1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 62
  • 2021-09-25 19.28.56 www.youtube.com 9e8f32108716 (2).jpg
    2021-09-25 19.28.56 www.youtube.com 9e8f32108716 (2).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2021-09-25 19.28.56 www.youtube.com 9e8f32108716.jpg
    2021-09-25 19.28.56 www.youtube.com 9e8f32108716.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 57
Why do the shoes show wear by the heel? That's a weird wear pattern. Maybe the person rides a bike or skate board or soemthing that wears the heel.

suspect1-jpg.314410

Why do the shoes show wear by the heel? That's a weird wear pattern. Maybe the person rides a bike or skate board or soemthing that wears the heel.

suspect1-jpg.314410

I’m not sure this is anything more than some type of artifact. If you look at his right foot as he is stepping down you can see that it’s the outer edge of the heel that is landing first which would put the wear spot on the opposite side. I’m actually of the opinion that he bought the shoes and most likely never wear them again. Also in the video where he is running across the street is supposedly the last part and there is no wear spot visible.

So I don't think this post went through with the system being down. Want to post this pic. I do believe that this guy was wearing something over the bridge of his nose like possibly a breath rite strip. I also think he was wearing some type of colored contacts. I tried to enhance this pic a best I could. It looks to me like his mouth is open which would make sense since he is running.

Attachments

• 2021-10-05 05.22.42 www.youtube.com c4d177cfda1b 3.jpg
    2021-10-05 05.22.42 www.youtube.com c4d177cfda1b 3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 88
So I don't think this post went through with the system being down. Want to post this pic. I do believe that this guy was wearing something over the bridge of his nose like possibly a breath rite strip. I also think he was wearing some type of colored contacts. I tried to enhance this pic a best I could. It looks to me like his mouth is open which would make sense since he is running.

How can you determine all of that from this grainy very low-resolution photo? You can't even see his eyes, much less the color of his irises, and his mouth and nose are almost entirely concealed save for the very upper bridge.

I'm sorry but I don't see what you are seeing. All the images have such poor resolution. I can't even see his eyes let alone what colour they are. Why do you think he was wearing coloured contact lenses? You may be just overly complicating things. Ever heard of Occam's Razor?

Also, from your previous posts, I don't see any evidence he is wearing some kind of helmet on his head under the hood. What I do see, is a jacket that may have reinforced stitching that gives the hood a bit more structure so it doesn't flop over the wearer's face.

I'm sorry but I don't see what you are seeing. All the images have such poor resolution. I can't even see his eyes let alone what colour they are. Why do you think he was wearing coloured contact lenses? You may be just overly complicating things. Ever heard of Occam's Razor?

Also, from your previous posts, I don't see any evidence he is wearing some kind of helmet on his head under the hood. What I do see, is a jacket that may have reinforced stitching that gives the hood a bit more structure so it doesn't flop over the wearer's face.

I don't feel that analyzing a photo in depth is overcomplicating. I'm not trying to convince anyone but I d feel like giving more of an explanation as to how I came to some of these conclusions and as I've said before this is just my opinion.

The main problem with this video is the lack of light. The only good photo of his face is when he is in the sun light but he is too far away so we lose clarity. I have put these stills through various filters and adjusted the contrast and clarity. Depending on how things are adjusted you can bring out certain aspects of a photo this way. For example, the face mask he is wearing is stretched more when it is going over certain areas of his face, for example his nose chin cheeks etc. The material will become slightly stretched allowing more light to pass through. This can give us a contour of the face. Sometimes you can bring out a lot of detail and other times like this one you can't mainly due to lack of light and the dark material.

The jacket he is wearing is a North Face brand and most likely the Apex Bionic. The hood on this model has it's own unique shape. If you look at some of the photo's you can see the differences in how it will look when someone is wearing it without a hat, one with a baseball cap and the one in the video. The one in the video more closely resembles the one who is wearing a cap underneath. Take a look at the first photo of the suspect. The edge of the hood is laying over what appears to be the brim of a hat. Notice how the sides of the hood flare out pretty far to the sides. The hood is laying over what I will call a helmet. The brim is very short but also wide. This shape is symmetrical on both sides and doesn't lose it's shape even when he is running.

The other photo which gives a rear view of the hood shows IMO how much bulk there is under the hood. Even around his ears there is significant protrusion. This is not the shape of a normal head. I believe this guy had help and was in contact with someone else during this whole time. Do a Google search for Smith Alek 006 Wireless Helmet Audio Kit. This kit retails for $130. The helmets brim in the photo example is a very close match to the shape you see that sticks out slightly past the hoods brim. The audio kit is wireless and allows you to communicate with any person who also has one. This guy already spent around $500 for what he was wearing so I don't feel like cost was an element to this crime. This man was on his way to kill someone and he went to great lengths to plan it out. If all of this sounds far fetched I have no problem with that but if someone would have suggested before the video came out that a man dressed like a Ninja killed Scott they probably would have been laughed off this forum.

Attachments

• 2021-10-07 22.28.10 www.arlnow.com 72ca04d22c04 (2).jpg
    2021-10-07 22.28.10 www.arlnow.com 72ca04d22c04 (2).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1ffQ3r2 (3)1.png
    1ffQ3r2 (3)1.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 60
  • The-North-Face-Men’s-Apex-Elevation-Hooded-Insulated-Jacket.jpg
    The-North-Face-Men’s-Apex-Elevation-Hooded-Insulated-Jacket.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 53
  • 2021-10-07 22.17.10 www.youtube.com 22e9877e9556 (2).jpg
    2021-10-07 22.17.10 www.youtube.com 22e9877e9556 (2).jpg