VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Classmate made video

Great find on the video by Sloan. Thanks for sharing.

The high rise is quite nice. Love the pool area and gym amenities. Sloan shows how very simple the killer could enter and exit the building. The neighbor two doors down from SR didn't hear anything unusual.

Sloan implies the killer may have been heading in the direction where on street parking is available. Perhaps it's happenstance the killer resembles a bicycle courier. If one could afford a 4 yr education at Raynard U, likely they drove a nice vehicle, if it was a former classmate. By my calculations, it'd run around $100,000 for 4yr degree, not including frat fees.

Isn't it uncanny that the young shorter guy whom Scott interviews around the one minute mark is wearing "The North Face" sweatshirt?

It's too bad we cannot see the shorter guy as he walks away. His nose does not quite fit with the narrow masked profile, imho.

His father said when this is "resolved." Resolved and not solved? This leads me to believe he suspects someone in particular, even if he doesn't know the killer's name.

I've read through the thread again. Nothing much new to report from LE except silence. That isn't a criticism by the way. I understand that LE in no way is beholden to the general public as to where they are in a murder investigation and they only get one kick at the can when they finally press charges. Since we don't have much to work on I'm going to speculate.

First of all, I don't believe that this crime was random. It was personal, but that doesn't necessarily mean the murderer and Scott knew each other well, IMO. I don't believe the perp got in through a fluke, like tailgaiting or a phony delivery. I believe that SR let the perp inside the apartment.

SR was only 24 yet it's been said he had an on again off again relationship with the same girl for nearly 10 years. So basically from the time he was 14. That is a long, long time for a young man to have a relationship with a woman, especially from the age of 14.

I know this won't be a popular suggestion but is it possible that SR was struggling with his sexuality and hid it from his family and friends? I've known a couple of guys who had girlfriends during high school yet didn't tell anyone they were gay until years later. They also met men in gay bars while continuing a heterosexual relationship. Could this have been a hook up that went tragically wrong?

LE have been tight lipped about every aspect of this murder other than the fact they think there is no ongoing threat to the general public. What does that mean, exactly? I would think an unknown murderer is a threat to the general public. Unless there are indicators that the majority of the population have nothing to worry about. Either that or the murder is so personal as to be specific to the victim and the killer.

I've been wondering about the discussion regarding the taped over logo on the backpack. Was it taped over with duct tape or reflective tape? People who ride bikes sometimes add more reflective tape for greater visibility.

The gait of the POI is so specific. As people have mentioned before, individuals have been known to be identified by their gait they can be so unique. People can even be identified by the sound of their footsteps to those familiar with them. Earlier, I thought there was a possibility that the POI was female but reviewing the video several times, I believe it is a male; bowlegged with a pigeon toed walk who may or may not have had an injury that affect his walk. He does not have well developed calves. Initially, I thought the gait may have been faked but after looking at so many stills it seems impossible to be turning your foot inward at every step continuously.

We've never been told what the cause of death is other than Scott received grievous upper body injuries with blood loss from his ears, mouth and neck. That could be from numerous different weapons: fists, a knife, a hammer, etc. We don't know if he died of those injuries since there was mention of cardiac arrest.

I'd attempted to tiptoe around the sexuality issue. If true that he felt ambiguity, it would explain the crime taking place in the bedroom.

I can believe a taser was used at some point. Tazing would cause chest trauma leaving swollen welps and bruises. It's possible other injuries were caused by a knife. The will to live is powerful. Victims will fight with all their might in order to stay alive.

Bleach destroys DNA. Don't see this guy hanging out to clean anything.

Dispatch report to respond to a cardiac arrest victim is confounding. Why describe it as CA? Scott was a healthy, active 24yo found with blood from extensive trauma.

If the crime took place around 1ish, as opined in Sloan's analysis, based on the sun's position, Scott was dead for up to three hours when he was found.

Usually when LE releases data garnered, they are speaking to the perp and not necessarily to the general public. I think they've interviewed this person who may present a decent alibi.

One thing I was just thinking about is that if a person attacked Scott and used bleach in an attempt to clean up anything, there doesn't appear to be a drop of bleach on any of the person's clothes or backpack. Granted they could have changed clothes. But, I don't know about you, but even when I use bleach to clean my bathroom, I have to wear old clothes because even just opening the bottle, I manage to get it on my clothes, my hands, anything I'm wearing. And bleach on black fabric makes a major color change - mostly dark pinks and reds. The videos aren't the clearest, but it seems like we would see some sign of bleach?

One thing I was just thinking about is that if a person attacked Scott and used bleach in an attempt to clean up anything, there doesn't appear to be a drop of bleach on any of the person's clothes or backpack. Granted they could have changed clothes. But, I don't know about you, but even when I use bleach to clean my bathroom, I have to wear old clothes because even just opening the bottle, I manage to get it on my clothes, my hands, anything I'm wearing. And bleach on black fabric makes a major color change - mostly dark pinks and reds. The videos aren't the clearest, but it seems like we would see some sign of bleach?

Is the bleaching effect that immediate? I assumed it took hours.

Nicely identified! My son has this same backpack for school and you are correct about the angled, reflective water tube loops on the shoulder straps as well as the prominent loop for carrying by hand. Unfortunately, this is one of their most popular models. Our company did not offer this expensive of a backpack with customization. I think of consulting companies that have a younger staff would be more likely to offer a TNF backpack customized. Checking to see if any universities customize those...

View attachment 281182

Now.... Where was your son on January 17th... 2020?
Just wondering....:rolleyes:

(Just Kidding! :D )

I've read through the thread again. Nothing much new to report from LE except silence. That isn't a criticism by the way. I understand that LE in no way is beholden to the general public as to where they are in a murder investigation and they only get one kick at the can when they finally press charges. Since we don't have much to work on I'm going to speculate.

First of all, I don't believe that this crime was random. It was personal, but that doesn't necessarily mean the murderer and Scott knew each other well, IMO. I don't believe the perp got in through a fluke, like tailgaiting or a phony delivery. I believe that SR let the perp inside the apartment.

SR was only 24 yet it's been said he had an on again off again relationship with the same girl for nearly 10 years. So basically from the time he was 14. That is a long, long time for a young man to have a relationship with a woman, especially from the age of 14.

I know this won't be a popular suggestion but is it possible that SR was struggling with his sexuality and hid it from his family and friends? I've known a couple of guys who had girlfriends during high school yet didn't tell anyone they were gay until years later. They also met men in gay bars while continuing a heterosexual relationship. Could this have been a hook up that went tragically wrong?

LE have been tight lipped about every aspect of this murder other than the fact they think there is no ongoing threat to the general public. What does that mean, exactly? I would think an unknown murderer is a threat to the general public. Unless there are indicators that the majority of the population have nothing to worry about. Either that or the murder is so personal as to be specific to the victim and the killer.

I've been wondering about the discussion regarding the taped over logo on the backpack. Was it taped over with duct tape or reflective tape? People who ride bikes sometimes add more reflective tape for greater visibility.

The gait of the POI is so specific. As people have mentioned before, individuals have been known to be identified by their gait they can be so unique. People can even be identified by the sound of their footsteps to those familiar with them. Earlier, I thought there was a possibility that the POI was female but reviewing the video several times, I believe it is a male; bowlegged with a pigeon toed walk who may or may not have had an injury that affect his walk. He does not have well developed calves. Initially, I thought the gait may have been faked but after looking at so many stills it seems impossible to be turning your foot inward at every step continuously.

We've never been told what the cause of death is other than Scott received grievous upper body injuries with blood loss from his ears, mouth and neck. That could be from numerous different weapons: fists, a knife, a hammer, etc. We don't know if he died of those injuries since there was mention of cardiac arrest.

Some good points.
Secret gay boyfriend murderer in 2020? Really? Even if he was gay, I think that's a little outdated. I'll agree relationships are a common motive in murders and I'm sure cops are investigating the gf. If his phone was found, a lot of these details would be clear IMO

We have a spray nozzle/bottle that doesn't make any mess.

Some good points.
Secret gay boyfriend murderer in 2020? Really? Even if he was gay, I think that's a little outdated. I'll agree relationships are a common motive in murders and I'm sure cops are investigating the gf. If his phone was found, a lot of these details would be clear IMO

I know almost nothing about the gf except they had an on again off again relationship for nearly a decade and that she enjoyed Cross fit. Did she attend Radford U, also?

I don't use FB so I can't see his numerous friends nor photos of a gf.

Even without knowing much of anything about her, Scott was "on again" with her, att. In my mind, that does not implicate her but would whomever a possible male lover would be. After all, he's the one being jilted at the time of Scott's death, not her.

Hey all,

Long time reader of this thread (I'm acquainted with victim's sister), just wanted to quickly post something that I think accounts for the person of interest's mask and gait, because I haven't seen anyone else post this (apologies if I missed it):

It was January...it was COLD! Almanac says that day didn't break 40 degrees.

I personally have worn a balaclava around DC/NoVa if it was a cold, windy day to reduce wind burn; I wouldn't call it common, but I wouldn't necessarily immediately think "oh, CLEARLY that person just did a crime" either. I've also walked/skipped in a similar fashion to the pigeon-toed situation seen in the video when trying to quickly get from point A to B in cold weather. This would also explain why it isn't consistent in the video.

Some other odds and ends:
- On the topic of gender, the person of interest definitely has athletic, male buttocks in my opinion.
- Someone asked about LGBTQ bars in the area (contemplating a potential closet/unrequited love scenario IIRC), and I would immediately point to Freddie's in Crystal City. Pretty well-known Arlington gay bar, there was a noteworthy movement to ensure that it didn't get gentrified out of existence in the wake of HQ2's arrival.
- In the buildings I've lived in in the area, most people are polite/courteous and hold the doors for people in otherwise "secure" buildings. Probably not difficult for the perp to get in.
- Definitely agree in regards to individuals having workplace-branded backpacks; extremely common in the area.

I didn't know the sister had a brother until this happened, so that's all I feel comfortable commenting on for now. Keep up the sleuthing though! I hope the family is able to find peace and justice.

Classmate made video

Very good video, lots of information. It's helpful to see the perspective from on the ground and at the apartment building. It appears it was fairly easy for non-residents to get inside.

Scott's classmate who made the video also mentions it seemed odd there were 4 people at the crime scene when the murder was first reported. There are a few things about the reporting of the crime, nature of the wounds, etc. that seem odd. Some could just be due to poor communications of people who were distraught.

In the video clips of Scott at school with his friends, is it just me or was one of his friends showing the "white power" sign (see photo in video at 1:40)?

Very good video, lots of information. It's helpful to see the perspective from on the ground and at the apartment building. It appears it was fairly easy for non-residents to get inside.

Scott's classmate who made the video also mentions it seemed odd there were 4 people at the crime scene when the murder was first reported. There are a few things about the reporting of the crime, nature of the wounds, etc. that seem odd. Some could just be due to poor communications of people who were distraught.

In the video clips of Scott at school with his friends, is it just me or was one of his friends showing the "white power" sign (see photo in video at 1:40)?

Someone earlier mentioned Scott was expecting house guests for the MLK Holiday. Maybe these guests arrived with his sister to find Scott in "cardiac arrest."

Sloan suggested it was sister, gf + 2 unknowns. It is interesting that the four arrived at the same time or all four were present when 911 was called.

I had to google what the white power symbol would be. It does include both hands with the okay sign so I think you're correct, Ms Betty. If so, that's an odd photo to select for the video, jmho.

Hey all,

Long time reader of this thread (I'm acquainted with victim's sister), just wanted to quickly post something that I think accounts for the person of interest's mask and gait, because I haven't seen anyone else post this (apologies if I missed it):

I personally have worn a balaclava around DC/NoVa if it was a cold, windy day to reduce wind burn; I wouldn't call it common, but I wouldn't necessarily immediately think "oh, CLEARLY that person just did a crime" either. I've also walked/skipped in a similar fashion to the pigeon-toed situation seen in the video when trying to quickly get from point A to B in cold weather. This would also explain why it isn't consistent in the video.

- On the topic of gender, the person of interest definitely has athletic, male buttocks in my opinion.
- Someone asked about LGBTQ bars in the area (contemplating a potential closet/unrequited love scenario IIRC), and I would immediately point to Freddie's in Crystal City. Pretty well-known Arlington gay bar, there was a noteworthy movement to ensure that it didn't get gentrified out of existence in the wake of HQ2's arrival.
- In the buildings I've lived in in the area, most people are polite/courteous and hold the doors for people in otherwise "secure" buildings. Probably not difficult for the perp to get in.
- Definitely agree in regards to individuals having workplace-branded backpacks; extremely common in the area.

I didn't know the sister had a brother until this happened, so that's all I feel comfortable commenting on for now. Keep up the sleuthing though! I hope the family is able to find peace and justice.

Welcome! and thank you for sharing

I think one of the biggest issues regarding communication is that ALL we have to go on is the dispatcher relaying information. We don't have any info from the people who found Scott, the actual 911 call, the paramedics, anything. Just a snippet from the person relaying some basic information.

Hey all,

Thanks for joining. It's appreciated as it's helpful to have a local's opinion and input.

I clearly see the balaclava. That's not a mask so wonder why it was ever called one.

I noticed the POIs buff booty, too. Never thought killer was female.

If the victim was struggling with his sexuality, would he go to Freddie's? Being seen there might erase all doubt.

I hope Scott's sister is doing well.

I know almost nothing about the gf except they had an on again off again relationship for nearly a decade and that she enjoyed Cross fit. Did she attend Radford U, also?

I don't use FB so I can't see his numerous friends nor photos of a gf.

Even without knowing much of anything about her, Scott was "on again" with her, att. In my mind, that does not implicate her but would whomever a possible male lover would be. After all, he's the one being jilted at the time of Scott's death, not her.

Regardless of sexual orientation, I recall a murder case in DC several years ago involving a closeted gay man who was killed by a sex worker he had called and arranged to meet at a hotel room. The sex worker had targeted the victim for robbery and violent murder. They were seen on camera, in disguise, leaving the hotel, later discovered to be a woman disguised as a man.

Newlywed lawyer killed in hotel room was on Craigslist soliciting men | Daily Mail Online

I'm just putting out possible scenarios.

I'd attempted to tiptoe around the sexuality issue. If true that he felt ambiguity, it would explain the crime taking place in the bedroom.

I can believe a taser was used at some point. Tazing would cause chest trauma leaving swollen welps and bruises. It's possible other injuries were caused by a knife. The will to live is powerful. Victims will fight with all their might in order to stay alive.

Bleach destroys DNA. Don't see this guy hanging out to clean anything.

Dispatch report to respond to a cardiac arrest victim is confounding. Why describe it as CA? Scott was a healthy, active 24yo found with blood from extensive trauma.

If the crime took place around 1ish, as opined in Sloan's analysis, based on the sun's position, Scott was dead for up to three hours when he was found.

Usually when LE releases data garnered, they are speaking to the perp and not necessarily to the general public. I think they've interviewed this person who may present a decent alibi.

The bleach aspect could be used to destroy evidence, or could be used by a very jealous/ angry individual to cause damage to clothing, personal belongings, etc. Premeditation is definite if the POI brought their own container of bleach.

Someone earlier mentioned Scott was expecting house guests for the MLK Holiday. Maybe these guests arrived with his sister to find Scott in "cardiac arrest."

Sloan suggested it was sister, gf + 2 unknowns. It is interesting that the four arrived at the same time or all four were present when 911 was called.

I had to google what the white power symbol would be. It does include both hands with the okay sign so I think you're correct, Ms Betty. If so, that's an odd photo to select for the video, jmho.[/Q

Regardless of sexual orientation, I recall a murder case in DC several years ago involving a closeted gay man who was killed by a sex worker he had called and arranged to meet at a hotel room. The sex worker had targeted the victim for robbery and violent murder. They were seen on camera, in disguise, leaving the hotel, later discovered to be a woman disguised as a man.

Newlywed lawyer killed in hotel room was on Craigslist soliciting men | Daily Mail Online

I'm just putting out possible scenarios.

This was solved from looking at the phone records, emails, messages etc. We know nothing about Scott's last activities or anything about the crime scene.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back