VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Taser explains the 911 for cardiac arrest, small person attacking a larger male etc. It takes a lot to kill from taser unless they have a heart condition, or used another weapon. Damn
There was blood from face, neck and hands, so I think another weapon was also involved. However a taser could help explain how he got the advantage on a bigger, stronger man, how he got in the door, how he got all the way into the bedroom.

Not the only explanation of course, guns are certainly threatening, but a taser was on my mind too.

I hope that local physicians are seeing the surveillance video.
The POI is definitely pigeon toed. Look at the image of his shoes that show the worn heel. It coincides with the gait.

Do family physicians pay attention to surveillance video releases? I doubt they have time to.
I believe that the POI’s family doctor might recognize this person if they saw the video. Same with a dental office or other places that tend to note physical discrepancies.

There has to be someone out there that can connect the dots and notify detectives that they know of a person that resembles the POI

There are cases where people faxed (back in the day) flyers to hundreds of hospitals for missing people or POI. I don't know what the protocol is, might be something family/friends might want to explore.

I hope that local physicians are seeing the surveillance video.
The POI is definitely pigeon toed. Look at the image of his shoes that show the worn heel. It coincides with the gait.

Do family physicians pay attention to surveillance video releases? I doubt they have time to.
I believe that the POI’s family doctor might recognize this person if they saw the video. Same with a dental office or other places that tend to note physical discrepancies.

There has to be someone out there that can connect the dots and notify detectives that they know of a person that resembles the POI

I was wondering the same thing! This POI has to have been to multiple clinics due to his gait and must have a podiatrist or some type of physician they have gone to frequently. My question would be can physicians anonymously report their clients or even report them in general? Patient confidentiality comes into play here but I'm not sure if there are any loop holes around it?

I also tend to lean towards professional hit due to the outfit and use of bleach. But then I think can you even be a hit-man with such a distinctive gait? probably not a very under the radar one at least. I also think if it were a hit-man or something of that nature- wouldn't this person be re-appearing in video footage months/weeks prior stalking the place out, where there face might be shown? unless, it was someone from the area that already knows the ins and outs of Arlington. But then I wonder, would a hit-man do a job in his own hometown? Just a lot of different thoughts on that theory, if anyone has any type of insight into that area of crime?

I keep going back and forth on hitman / someone known to victim. Unless the apartment door was open or the POI had a key, why would Scott open the door to someone in that get up?

I keep going back and forth on hitman / someone known to victim. Unless the apartment door was open or the POI had a key, why would Scott open the door to someone in that get up?

To be fair, I think if the POI pulled the buff down then it wouldn't look very threatening through the peephole. You have to remember that this community felt pretty safe before this, someone knocking at the door is not at all a cause for alarm and most people would have probably opened the door in the middle of the day even if it was someone they didn't recognize. If it was 3am, then less likely to open the door to strangers.

Has anyone heard anything else about this case? I find it so odd that no progress has been made to the public. I was hoping with the release of video footage, there might be more forward motion but can’t find anything.

Not here. So much silence!

We were really trying to encourage friends to do interviews to get more coverage of the video. I don’t think that happened. I am HOPING that’s because police quickly got what they needed out of the video release and didn’t want any more public pleas. ??

Such an unusual case. Though I do have to say I thought of Scott’s case with this MIT/Yale likely love triangle case (a likely jealous MIT guy allegedly stalked and killed the new fiancé of his former classmate/ likely love interest). The love triangle is one of the motives that we have speculated about.

Also, did LE check footage from previous days to look for this person when they did see them on video??? With that distinctive gait, would have got other pics, maybe of the face??? Wondering if a PI got these pics and video?????

Arlington County Police- Did they look at footage from days prior to Scott’s murder. What if there is surveillance ( 2020) of a person in plain clothes walking with that same gait. If the POI was planning this, he/they might have walked this same path; same time of day, on various days.

Someone knows something or saw something leading up to the day of this murder.

Not here. So much silence!

We were really trying to encourage friends to do interviews to get more coverage of the video. I don’t think that happened. I am HOPING that’s because police quickly got what they needed out of the video release and didn’t want any more public pleas. ??

Such an unusual case. Though I do have to say I thought of Scott’s case with this MIT/Yale likely love triangle case (a likely jealous MIT guy allegedly stalked and killed the new fiancé of his former classmate/ likely love interest). The love triangle is one of the motives that we have speculated about.

I was just saying the same thing a friend who lives across the street. Let’s all hope they have made an arrest already and that he wasn’t killed over something stupid...like drugs.

Just popping in tonight as I was thinking about Scott and this case and wondering if any updates.
So sad that nobody has been arrested yet or that LE has not spoken out about it.
I do not see anything in SM either.
JMO, but I still feel like person on video is female.

Just popping in tonight as I was thinking about Scott and this case and wondering if any updates.
So sad that nobody has been arrested yet or that LE has not spoken out about it.
I do not see anything in SM either.
JMO, but I still feel like person on video is female.
So sadly quiet. But I do feel that nip of hope that his many loved ones would be loudly banging the drums if they thought the case was not on track.

I was just thinking about this case also, wondering if there were any updates. Sad to see that there are not, but that doesn't mean that it's not being worked.

Motive remains the most puzzling aspect here to me, I imagine there's a lot of forensic work to go through digital evidence, hopefully it yields some answers.

Was thinking about this recently as well. I had moved last year, but it turns out one of my friends in my new area happened to know Scott well in high school and had nothing but good things to say of him as we were discussing the other week. Such a small world.

At this point, I’m not expecting any more info from LE until at least January, unless there is an arrest. Just seems like that is how they are playing it.

I still feel like this might be a female.
I guess there is no reason that it couldn’t be one, but I think one of 5he advantages of being a female in these sorts of things is likely their ability to easily change their appearance not just cover it up like this killer did.
I think the victim was likely sleeping or relaxed and caught unaware, so in that respect it probably would not matter the sex of the perpetrator.

They could have jimmied the lock? Anyone know what kind of lock was on the front door?

I think Scott was targeted. When I think about the many high rise apartments in that area with several hundreds or thousands of people in them, it seems strange to randomly pick someone. It's a very low crime area.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back