VA - University of Virginia shooting, 3 dead, killer suspected to be student, Charlottesville, 13 Nov 2022 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
These accomplishments suggest a person with life options beyond staring on the high school football team and playing on a college football team.

Then factor in that Jones evidently made only a brief, one season appearance football wise at Virginia State in 2018. Four years is a lifetime to young people and would seem to be plenty of time for football rivalries to wash "under the bridge".

These articles, however, show a slightly darker picture- but no red flags of a shooting rampage when combined with the aspects above:

Jones was evidently investigated for a hazing incident (dropped after the witness failed to cooperate) and one concealed weapon charge. Likewise, he was apparently administratively investigated following a comment he made about "owning a gun" (legal in Virginia, but perhaps not on campus).
Christopher Darnell Jones has been a student at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia during his entire college career, I believe. I don't think he ever attended Virginia State University.

Sounds like he maybe had a vendetta, but why? Against the actual people he shot or just the group itself? This is so senseless!

Sounds like he maybe had a vendetta, but why? Against the actual people he shot or just the group itself? This is so senseless!

Someone mentioned that he may have been the one hazed? I don't know if that's true, but if it is, maybe he was so traumatized by it that he wanted to get revenge? MOO.

NYT reporting that the suspect was on the radar of UVA administration:

“As tributes to the victims poured in from around the country, questions proliferated about the fellow student accused of killing them: Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., a former football player who two months earlier had come to the attention of a university task force formed to identify and respond to threatening behavior by students.
Brian Coy, a university spokesman, said that on Sept. 15, amid an investigation into some hazing incidents on campus, officials with the university’s department of student affairs “heard from a student that Mr. Jones made a comment to him about possessing a gun” — a remark, Mr. Coy added, that was not made in conjunction with a threat. No one whom officials spoke with, including Mr. Jones’s roommate, said they had seen him with a gun, Mr. Coy said.

But in the course of the investigation, officials discovered that Mr. Jones had been convicted of a misdemeanor concealed weapons violation in 2021, for which he received a 12-month suspended sentence and had to pay a $100 fine.

It was one of several misdemeanor charges that Mr. Jones had been charged with over the past few years, according to court records. He was obligated by campus policy to report the concealed weapons conviction to the university, but did not. When university officials tried to question him about it, Mr. Jones refused to cooperate, Mr. Coy said, and the task force, called a threat assessment team, “escalated his case for disciplinary action” before a student judiciary body on Oct. 27. The authorities said the matter was pending.”

Victims were all on a bus full of students returning from a drama class field trip to DC where they had just seen a play.
“The shooting happened shortly after 10 p.m. on Sunday night, the police said, as a bus pulled into a university parking garage at the end of a school field trip to Washington. According to Michael Hollins Sr., whose son, Michael Hollins Jr., was injured in the attack, the students on the trip were in a drama class that had gone to see a play.”

Someone mentioned that he may have been the one hazed?
The article I read stated that the matter was not pursued because a witness was unwilling to give a statement.

Thus, Jones' involvement could be interpreted either way: Jones was a hazer -or- Jones was the hazee.

Last edited:
Lives lost much to early. These young men had so much life ahead of them.

And my thoughts also keep going to the other people on the bus that saw the attack. They must be so traumatized.
Yes, very traumatizing for sure. Just shooting into a group like this sounds very random. Like maybe the group was targeted for some reason but not the individuals.
I hope we hear more. I’m glad the alleged killer was captured alive.

Thanks for the correction. I confused University of Virginia and Virginia State into synonyms.
Oh, think nothing of it. The only reason I knew was because I am from Virginia, went to school in Richmond (at Virginia Commonwealth University), and there are a lot of universities in Virginia! Easy to get confused, that's for sure!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micin
Back