VA - Virginia Tech Shooting, 32 murdered, 23 injured, 16 April 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This happens every year at Halloween. 9-11 victims, Steve Irwin, Anna Nichole, etc.... Sometimes humans deal with horror in this manner. It is as predictable as death and taxes.

It doesn't bother me, but I respect that it horrifies others - which is, of course, exactly the point of dressing up at Halloween.
I am with you on this.
Things like this only get as much attention as we are willing to give them. For me it is a big zero.

I think South has made some valid points. College students are not the most mature or responsible thinkers. They did it for the shock value to their friends and they got it. If it were done for any other type of party besides Halloween...it would be much more than bad taste and certainly horrific judgement on their parts.

I don't think expulsion is in order, but they should be forced to make a formal apology to the victims' families, friends, and VT students/faculty. It wouldn't hurt for them to be required to speak with some of the victims who survived, but witnessed the carnage. This should be a lesson in compassion and judgement for them. If one of them were MY child...this would be what I would require along with other punishments.

Why do you think they should be made to do anything? Who do you suggest "force" them to apologize?

Why do you think they should be made to do anything? Who do you suggest "force" them to apologize?

Yeah - I don't think they should be made to do anything. Presumably they are all adults, however young and foolish, and should make their own decisions about what they might and might not feel bad about having done.

How many of us did foolish, irresponsible, crude, attention-seeking, sometimes cruel things in college? I know I did. Fortunately, those things didn't wind up on My Space or You Tube because there was no My Space of You Tube!!! Thank goodness....

Better to ignore it. Or spend some time pondering what 2009 Halloween costume will start this same type of thread!!!

This happens every year at Halloween. 9-11 victims, Steve Irwin, Anna Nichole, etc.... Sometimes humans deal with horror in this manner. It is as predictable as death and taxes.

It doesn't bother me, but I respect that it horrifies others - which is, of course, exactly the point of dressing up at Halloween.

ITA with this post.

Someone mentioned before these two might find it hard to get a job at a place, especially a place that is sensitive to the horrible tragedy that occurred at VT.

If this is how these people want to act I say let them, and eventually they'll get their come-uppins. In some way or another. That's the beauty and the curse of the internet and societ today.

Someone mentioned before these two might find it hard to get a job at a place, especially a place that is sensitive to the horrible tragedy that occurred at VT.

If this is how these people want to act I say let them, and eventually they'll get their come-uppins. In some way or another. That's the beauty and the curse of the internet and society today.

Great point. Again - I am deeply grateful these things weren't around when I was in college. I mean I like to think that I would have been bright enough not to broadcast my shenanigans to the globe, but I have my doubts....;)

Bill Marr found it fine to dress as a dead Steve Irwin with a sting-ray barb poking out of his chest, barely 2 months after Steve was killed... and after seeing a picture of someone at an LA party dressed as a pedophile priest with a blow up kid on a blow up private part, I don't think much can shock me in the way of what people will dress like for Halloween, now. Some people are just jerks and our 1st amendment protects their right to be asinine as they want to be, within the boundaries of not breaking any laws. :( People will be jerks... :( and these people sound like that: pure jerks.

As if the shootings themselves were easy for the VA Tech family and friends to get over. grrrrrrrrrrr

I am sooooooo grateful that the internet was just an embryo when I was in college. When I think of some of the pictures that were never taken......Yow!!

Didn't Prince Harry wear a Nazi uniform for Halloween recently? Not much difference there, IMO.

Didn't Prince Harry wear a Nazi uniform for Halloween recently? Not much difference there, IMO.
I agree. It just comes under the heading of stupid stuff young people do. I can't get real excited about this.

I agree. It just comes under the heading of stupid stuff young people do. I can't get real excited about this.

Exactly - I believe the average young college student still has a lot of stuff to figure out and no real experience of death and its effects on those left behind. These guys wanted a rise and they got it. Wonder who it will be for Halloween night 2008?

That would depend on who pays their college tuition and keeps them afloat at school. Parents can and do have some say so even if their children in college are considered "adults". : ) If it were my son, he would be soon writing letters of apology or be out looking for a job to pay his own darn tuition.

As to the why I think they should be made to do something is to learn a lesson in compassion, at the very least. Tact and decency would be a bonus!

I blame whoever posted the photos on the internet. The kids who dressed up were just being normal dumbass tasteless college jerks.

That would depend on who pays their college tuition and keeps them afloat at school. Parents can and do have some say so even if their children in college are considered "adults". : ) If it were my son, he would be soon writing letters of apology or be out looking for a job to pay his own darn tuition.

As to the why I think they should be made to do something is to learn a lesson in compassion, at the very least. Tact and decency would be a bonus!
I would just smack him upside the head and tell him to grow up and think.
Seriously, at this age I didn't "punish" my kids anymore. I would just sit them down and have a conversation about their poor judgement.

I blame whoever posted the photos on the internet. The kids who dressed up were just being normal dumbass tasteless college jerks.
Really good point. I still say these kids only have as much power as we are willing to give them. I am not willing to give them any, so this is a zero episode to me.
Maybe if I had a loved one murdered at VT I would feel differently.I can certainly understand that. But I would still try not to give them any power to affect me at all.

Really good point. I still say these kids only have as much power as we are willing to give them. I am not willing to give them any, so this is a zero episode to me.
Maybe if I had a loved one murdered at VT I would feel differently.I can certainly understand that. But I would still try not to give them any power to affect me at all.

ITA

Even if I had lost a child at VT, this incident wouldn't be a big deal. If I had lost a child to that violence, I would be numb to such silliness. Still grieving, I wouldn't give a rat's *advertiser censored* about some nittany ninnies.

ITA

Even if I had lost a child at VT, this incident wouldn't be a big deal. If I had lost a child to that violence, I would be numb to such silliness. Still grieving, I wouldn't give a rat's *advertiser censored* about some nittany ninnies.
yeah I think I would feel similarly. I think after going through such a tragedy, these people have a real sense of what is truly important. these idiots from the article probably aren't very high on the list. JMHO of course.

Good post, JBean. I like the way you handle your dudes, sitting them down and talking. Most effective way to deal with college ages, I think. My mom had a phase wherein she wanted to control me via money strings for school. She backed off, but I had a friend whose parents did that and she rarely speaks to them decades later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back