VA - Virginia Tech Shooting, 32 murdered, 23 injured, 16 April 2007

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No. He bought the guns from a gun shop, legally.

KatK I posted this earlier on page 16 of this thread: So he had bought it on the internet then they sent it to the gun shop of Cho;'s choice in Virginia to pick up.

A little over a month earlier, he had purchased a Walther .22-caliber from www.thegunsource.com, a Web site owned and operated by Green Bay-based TGSCOM Inc.
TGSCOM Inc. owner Eric Thompson said Cho ordered the handgun online Feb. 2 and picked it up at a pawn shop in Blacksburg, Va., on Feb 9.
"There was absolutely nothing at all remarkable about it," Thompson said.
Cho paid the $267.63 cost with a credit card and that was his first and only purchase through the Web site, Thompson said.
The Walther P22 is a low-powered handgun usually used for target practice or shooting squirrels, Thompson said.
Cho filled out the paperwork prior to the purchases and underwent federal and state background checks each time, both of which were initiated by the shops in Virginia. A native of South Korea who came to the United States as a child, Cho was a legal permanent resident, making him eligible to buy a gun.

Boy, was I ever off! Very interesting. Thanks for setting me straight. Now I'm wondering where he bought the other gun.
The first gun was ordered off the Internet and delivered to a pawn shop; the other one ($571.00) was purchased directly from a gun shop in Blacksburg.

I've heard this arguement before. But the fact is, if criminals obeyed the law, then there would be no crime. So how is making stiffer laws against guns gonna help?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the background check. Matter of fact, when I purchased my first gun, I went into the gun store, picked out my gun, filled out this paperwork and gave it to the salesman. He made a 2 minute phone call and told me that I checked out. I then walked out of the store with new gun and ammo to boot. Then, since I wanted to be able to carry it concealed, I went to the court and practically filled out the same paperwork for the the same charge. I then had to wait 2 months for my gun permit to be mailed to me. I thought 2 months was a little long, but given anyone's state court system, I could see it taking a while to process.

But let's say I was not mentally sane in order to buy it legally. All I have to do is go to a gun show! You walk in with cash and you walk out with a gun! And usually is a used gun that has had many owners so if it's used in a crime and found, the police can only track back to the original owner at the store he bought it from. "Why, I sold that gun 10 years ago officer!"

Last but not least, there's the low down way to purchase a gun. From someone that sells them in the back alley. Usually, these are guns that aren't dependable normally and/or usually stolen from cars, RV's, etc. If you know where to find guys that sells guns out of the trunk of thier car, chances are you do some criminal activity.

So, in closing...
1)in my view we should have a more functional evaluation system. Almost ever police agency uses different software and then every court system is about the same. That means it's not always a simple point and click to check if someone checks out ok to purchase a gun. With computers even at deputy dawg's sherrif station, you'd think we'd be more up to date.
2) Get rid of the gun shows. The only way someone should be able to sell a gun is to a reputable gun dealer...who should take down the serial of the gun and report to some agency that thier business no holds the gun for sale. Once they sale it, transfer of ownership occurs just like it does now.
3) Every new gun owner gets a permit...period! Hell, it makes it easier to purchase new guns and you don't have to pay the fee to get checked out again. Then, every state has to be able to access every other's permit records. Surprisingly, that doesn't happen today which means having a permit in your state may not work in another state.

Looking in the news today, seems like the VT shooter was labeled by the court system as being a danger to himself and to others in 2005. That goes right back to #1 being checked more thoroughly.

I have some very good friends that sell at gun shows in Wis. They have the right to not sell guns to whom ever they choose. These folks work very CLOSELY with the BATF.... they have on many occasions refused to sell guns & ammo to unsavory people / they have also turned in gun dealers who are at shows who are unethical.

Our friend repairs guns for many of LE in Wis. Some of his closest friends are LE.

We have bought guns from him & it is done 100% legal! Nothing shady about his business. Possibly & very probably he is in the minority. But when he sells a gun he has to get clearance from LE.

I thought he bought the ammo at Walmart.

I just posted what ebay said in that article. Are "empty ammunition clips" the same as "ammo"?

:waitasec: I bet you can tell if I have a gun in the house or not! :p

No. The "clip" or "magazine" holds the ammunition and is put into the pistol to arm it. You can have multiple clips loaded up, and when one is empty you remove it and put a full one in.

Thanks, . So he bought the empty clips from ebay and the ammo from wal-mart apparently. Gotcha.

I have been wondering exactly how long Cho had inside that building before he shot himself.. did he fire at the cops at all?
I am sure this has been answered somewhere.. sorry if i am dragging up old questions.

Virginia Governor Closes Loophole Which Let Virginia Tech Shooter Buy Guns

Virginia has closed the loophole which allowed Seung-Hui Cho to purchase firearms which he used to massacre over 30 students and faculty at VA Tech University.

Virginia Governor Tim Kaine issued Executive Order 50, which will make all firearm purchase background checks ask questions about the buyer's mental health and ban those suffering from mental illness from obtaining weapons.

Previously if a person suffering from mental illness received an outpatient procedure, they were not forced to disclose that fact on the background check required by state law.

According to the Daily Press, Governor Kaine has ordered the Virginia State Police to request copies of orders both for involuntary inpatient and involuntary outpatient care from district courts. The Governor is instructing State Police to revise SP-237, the form by which they request such data, to explicity reflect the addition of outpatient care.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007202187

Virginia has closed the loophole which allowed Seung-Hui Cho to purchase firearms which he used to massacre over 30 students and faculty at VA Tech University.

Virginia Governor Tim Kaine issued Executive Order 50, which will make all firearm purchase background checks ask questions about the buyer's mental health and ban those suffering from mental illness from obtaining weapons.

Previously if a person suffering from mental illness received an outpatient procedure, they were not forced to disclose that fact on the background check required by state law.

According to the Daily Press, Governor Kaine has ordered the Virginia State Police to request copies of orders both for involuntary inpatient and involuntary outpatient care from district courts. The Governor is instructing State Police to revise SP-237, the form by which they request such data, to explicity reflect the addition of outpatient care.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007202187

Thanks Panthera that is great news! I hope all states decide to follow this govenor's lead. It is long overdue.

OK... and may i ask why this wasn't a law in the first place......???

i mean........ duh.

Thanks Panthera that is great news! I hope all states decide to follow this govenor's lead. It is long overdue.
You're welcome! I think it should've been effective before 32 innocent people lost their lives and also the legislature really should pass the part about the gun shows next time it comes to their vote. Leaving it up to the applicant to tell the truth on an application is ridiculous, imo.

OK... and may i ask why this wasn't a law in the first place......???

i mean........ duh.
Exactly. I thought all these security measures were supposed to be in effect after 9/11 and here's a state near the nation's capital with no waiting period and inadequate background checks. :mad:

You're welcome! I think it should've been effective before 32 innocent people lost their lives and also the legislature really should pass the part about the gun shows next time it comes to their vote. Leaving it up to the applicant to tell the truth on an application is ridiculous, imo.

Everything I've read about Cho states that he was mentally off, sick, strange, etc. If he hated himself and everyone else so much, he would have gotten a gun illegally imo. A more sound gun law wouldn't have stopped him.

I agree philamena. He also could have slashed and thrown knives, made a bomb or used any number of other methods to kill people if a gun was not available.

I do like the law though. I'm just surprised that was not already a condition for gun ownership.

I agree philamena. He also could have slashed and thrown knives, made a bomb or used any number of other methods to kill people if a gun was not available.

I do like the law though. I'm just surprised that was not already a condition for gun ownership.
SewingDeb,
I agree with you. Doesn't it somehow seem silly that the law wasn't established before?

YES of course cho or anyone as crazy as him could have gotten a gun illegally if he/they really wanted to. but at least a LAW such as this would have made it a little more difficult... inconvenient, if you will. and any chance that that inconvenience might deter some madman from going postal and killing innocent people is obviously worth it,, don't you think.....?

but i propose and even BETTER idea. that people such as him, who hate life and humanity so much and is in THAT much danger of 'snapping'.. should have a better option.. we should offer a free and easy euthanasia solution. hey, let's make it a drive-through service.. they drive in, they drive you out (to the morgue)! that way, if anyone wants to check out so badly they don't have to go through all the trouble of having a shooting spree- and then suicide (by self or by cop) and taking innocent people with them. not every madman would go for it, but perhaps it might save a few lives.

I'm not quite sure this new law would have prevented Cho from buying the guns.

Is the disclosure the responsibility of the buyer or will the mental illness be on some database? Did Cho received an outpatient procedure or just an outpatient evaluation? How much faith do you have in government databases to be timely and accurate on such matters? Who will be doing the reporting and the inputting? How will it not break all the Hippa (sp) laws on medical confidentiality?

SewingDeb,
I agree with you. Doesn't it somehow seem silly that the law wasn't established before?

It does. That should have come to some lawmaker's mind when they were deciding the criteria for gun ownership...it's just plain common sense.

snip

but i propose and even BETTER idea. that people such as him, who hate life and humanity so much and is in THAT much danger of 'snapping'.. should have a better option.. we should offer a free and easy euthanasia solution. hey, let's make it a drive-through service.. they drive in, they drive you out (to the morgue)! that way, if anyone wants to check out so badly they don't have to go through all the trouble of having a shooting spree- and then suicide (by self or by cop) and taking innocent people with them. not every madman would go for it, but perhaps it might save a few lives.

Sounds good to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back