MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree with the judge's ruling but I can't believe it's back to square 1. Devastating case.

I agree with the judge's ruling but I can't believe it's back to square 1. Devastating case.

Have not been following cases lately but this headline caught my eye. I too agree with ruling here. I do not like Todd Easter at all...he had an agenda and is far less than truthful on the stand in the hearing. Fletcher Long had it right to go after this appeal. He had dealt a second blow to this rape victim and these guys (at least one) will be walking the streets again.

Wow! this was very interesting! While the judge's ruling is correct & juror didn't disclose the full story- I'm wondering how far defense attys go to get their clients off? Is it usual for defense attys to research jurors after their verdict to look for misconduct & ask for a mistrial? I know things usually happen with jurors during the trial but this far out?
Do you think they knew this during the trial & held it to use until the verdict?
The unfair thing is that if they were acquitted, the prosecution would not have been able to use this, right?

I hope they are found guilty on ALL charges again. I do not want them to get bond. who knows what they will do if they get bond. jmo.

Joseph Pleasant ‏@JPleasantwkrntv 4h4 hours ago
Both men are in jail issued jumpsuits. #Vandy

Joseph Pleasant
‏@JPleasantwkrntv
3h3 hours ago

No new trial date today. But judge did say he can move things around to accommodate the new trial.

Joseph Pleasant
‏@JPleasantwkrntv
3h3 hours ago

Decision: both have bond reinstated. Vandenburg's bond increased by $50,000. Batey's stays the same. #Vandy

Joseph Pleasant
‏@JPleasantwkrntv

Both Vandenburg and Batey are free men, for now. Vandenburg's lawyers say he is leaving town ASAP! #Vandy

Cory Batey and Brandon Vandenburg were released from custody Wednesday after bond was set earlier in the day.

The judge reinstated Batey’s previous bond of $350,000. He now has to wear a GPS device. Vandenburg’s bond was increased by $50,000 to $400,000, and he must also wear a GPS.

Batey was dressed in a suit and tie and carrying a Bible as he was released.

Vandenburg was released seconds after his former teammate, his lawyers telling local media he is leaving town as soon as possible. He is originally from California and still has family in that area.

[...]

The state argued that both should be considered flight risks due to the duo’s “likelihood of conviction.”

Representatives for bonding agencies attended the hearing, stating whether they would continue to conduct business with Batey and Vandenburg.

A representative for Nashville Bonding Company said they did not want Batey’s bond back with them. His defense attorney requested bond be reduced by half due to this. The request was denied.

Another company that previously shared Batey’s bond with Nashville Bonding Company, Free At Last, said it will not charge a new premium for his bond.

When asked, a company representative said, “I would like juror number 9 to pay our fees.”

The judge decided to reinstated both men’s bail and require them to each wear a GPS device. Vandenburg’s bond was increased by $50,000.

http://wkrn.com/2015/06/24/judge-to-hold-hearing-to-discuss-next-steps-in-vanderbilt-rape-case/

BBM - how can he leave town if he has to wear a GPS device? Isn't his lawyer's statement that he's leaving town proof that not only is he a flight risk, but that he is indeed fleeing? Isn't not leaving town usually a bond condition? I'm confused.

CISNUR9VAAAvDOU.jpg

Cathy retweeted
Hayley Mason ‏@WSMVHayleyMason 3h3 hours ago

Cory Batey walks out of courthouse with GPS tracking bracelet on, alongside his attorney and bail bondsman

CISXFaOW8AAYHT1.png

Cathy retweeted
WZTV FOX 17 ‏@wztv_fox17 2h2 hours ago

#Vandytrial: Brandon Vandenburg leaving free on bond after getting GPS device. #LIVEonFOX17

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 6h6 hours ago

Brandon Vandenburg now lives in California (or did before just b4 incarceration) Had minor citation there, that's why 50K more #Vandytrial

Judge orders Nashville Bonding to stay on Cory Batey's bond. #Vandytrial

"Free At Last Bail Bonding" agrees to stay on with Batey. "Nashville Bonding Company" says they do not want to reinstate. #Vandytrial

Chris Conte ‏@chrisconte 18s19 seconds ago

#BREAKING a mistrial has just been declared in the rape case against Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey @NC5

:eek: .. :doorhide: .. :noooo: .. :no: .. :steamed: .. :rage: .. :yow: .. :cursing: .. :turkey: .. :hills: .. :pullhair: .. :stormingmad:

:eek:hoh: .. :eek:hdear: .. :fainted: .. :freakedout: .. :thud:

Well, just dammit. Grrrrr.

Makes me sick. This is ridiculous. New trial ASAP, and put these idiots away for good! :gavel:

Makes me so sad for the victim. She has been through enough. Now she will have to through it all over again. :gaah:

I have seen this too many flippin' times. I understand, but it still pizzes me off. A judge does not want to be reversed on an appeal, so he/she decides on the side of super-caution, and calls a mullligan.
Fooey, fooey, fooey.

Well, I don't see a second trial turning out differently. The evidence is still there -- it's not gonna change. Just scehdule the dayam thing ASAP and let's get on with it. Grrrrr.

Wow! this was very interesting! While the judge's ruling is correct & juror didn't disclose the full story- I'm wondering how far defense attys go to get their clients off? Is it usual for defense attys to research jurors after their verdict to look for misconduct & ask for a mistrial? I know things usually happen with jurors during the trial but this far out?
Do you think they knew this during the trial & held it to use until the verdict?
The unfair thing is that if they were acquitted, the prosecution would not have been able to use this, right?

When the defendant is acquitted, the case is DONE. He(she) walks away clean. No re-do's. Double jeopardy takes care of that.

The End. Finis. No mas. Exit. Call the next case. Grrrrrr.

At least that's not what we have here.

I just found out about this yesterday and couldn't believe what I was hearing. To think she's going to have to go through this all over again - I feel so badly for her. Fingers crossed the next jury finds them guilty as well and this will finally be over for her.

I don't know if it's possible, but I hope they get a longer sentence that in the first trial.
Just for Karma.

...and they will be once again convicted like the sexual predators they are. She is stronger than this.

bbm

All of us will agree, IMO, that we hate to see her go through this nightmare again, but she is older, farther away from it now so maybe it won't be as raw for her, and she is stronger, as you said. I think she will stand up even taller and straighter, her mood more determined, and she will give it to them and good. They will surely be sorry about this dammed re-do, and I hope they will pay for it even more expensively, STS, than the last time. Dammit.

Why the upset? We knew and have known for a long time this case would be retried. They're finally getting to it. This is a good thing! They're going down, no doubt about it, and this time the state I'm sure will be very careful to screen carefully during voir dire. The evidence doesn't change. It remains strong just as it did before. As for sentencing, that's out of everyone's hands. If they're convicted they'll get 10 years minimum and when you think about it, some second degree murderers get about the same or a little more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back