Verdict: GUILTY for both Millard and Smich of 1st degree murder #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DM's upbringing wasn't relevant to the trial so I sincerely doubt those people would have been asked to testify about it.

Yes, hindsight is often 20/20 vision.

1. If it's not relevant to the trial, why would there be a publication ban on it?

2. If it's not relevant, why would people be interested in it?

Personally I hope Abro chimes in, since otherwise it is all just speculation. It could be that she's already given a percentage of the proceeds she has already gotten to Tim's fund and that she is proud to tell us that.

I also think that if money was being made off of the 'entertainment' we produce here on WS, I would gladly give 100% of my share to Tim's charity.

Isn't it kind of icky to sell your book by promoting it as a way to donate to charity?

If I wrote a book I would not want to use Tim's charity to promote it. I think that would be highly manipulative and somewhat unethical.

lol you have no right to any share of any profit made by WS. It's easy to give away something that isn't yours.

1. If it's not relevant to the trial, why would there be a publication ban on it?

1. Who says there is a publication ban on the details of DM and MS's personal lives? I think that is just beyond the scope of what the MSM is mandated to deliver.

2. Why were people interested in the hoses that were left to run at the 6-plex? It wasn't relevant to anything. That doesn't stop curiosity. Pages and pages of posts worth of curiosity...

Does anyone know if they have started an appeal process? I'm curious how quickly that will get thrown out.

Isn't it kind of icky to sell your book by promoting it as a way to donate to charity?

If I wrote a book I would not want to use Tim's charity to promote it. I think that would be highly manipulative and somewhat unethical.

lol you have no right to any share of any profit made by WS. It's easy to give away something that isn't yours.

How is giving some proceeds of a book about a murderer to the victim's family 'icky'?

No one said she has to promote her book using the charity. She could write the information that such a percentage goes to Tim's fund in tiny writing on the back flap of the book. Most would use that in the opposite way, they would use that space on their boom to promote the victim's charity, and encourage others to continue to give on their own as well.

Answering the question isn't such a big deal to me, I just thought I heard a number that I thought was impressively high (50%) and was looking for clarification from the source, since she is a member here. Perhaps some people who were on the fence about buying her book may be more inclined to do so if they know that in a way it is helping the victims.

I've learned through following this trial there is this huge thing about painting someone's character. Personally, I think character says a lot, but according to lawyers, it isn't supposed to influence a jury so they put a tight lid on it. It is so not like TV.

Does anyone know if they have started an appeal process? I'm curious how quickly that will get thrown out.

Well, it's pretty early. MSM coverage died out on the 20th. We'll just have to watch and see. It's only been 12 days since the verdict.

How is giving some proceeds of a book about a murderer to the victim's family 'icky'?

No one said she has to promote her book using the charity. She could write the information that such a percentage goes to Tim's fund in tiny writing on the back flap of the book. Most would use that in the opposite way, they would use that space on their boom to promote the victim's charity, and encourage others to continue to give on their own as well.

Answering the question isn't such a big deal to me, I just thought I heard a number that I thought was impressively high (50%) and was looking for clarification from the source, since she is a member here. Perhaps some people who were on the fence about buying her book may be more inclined to do so if they know that in a way it is helping the victims.

It's like you're saying that ABro shouldn't keep the money from her book because it's been tainted.

Why doesn't DM give 50% of his fortune to SB? SB would be well taken care of, and ABro could keep the money she earned.

I don't think it is ABro's obligation to pay out to SB; I think it is DM's.

1. Who says there is a publication ban on the details of DM and MS's personal lives? I think that is just beyond the scope of what the MSM is mandated to deliver.

2. Why were people interested in the hoses that were left to run at the 6-plex? It wasn't relevant to anything. That doesn't stop curiosity. Pages and pages of posts worth of curiosity...

I thought it was you who implied that the book was going to tell us things that we hadn't read before because of the publication bans.

I believe ABro's book goes back far beyond 2012. We've only really heard events from 2012 onwards in MSM and the whole story of DM and MS's life before that remains to be told.

Perhaps people did go on the record long ago, but there are limits to what MSM can publish when the trial is ongoing. IMO a lot of reporters have been sitting on info they just can't publish.

I thought the mandate of the press is to sell papers, and that is accomplished by giving the people the stories that they want to hear, in my opinion. That curiosity about hoses and such is what drives their business. The days they talked about them, we came back the next day and the next, hoping we'd get an answer. If they had more to tell, they'd tell it, in my opinion. The fact that they don't write more about it now tells me that it has been milked dry, pardon the pun.

I haven't read the other posts as I read last to first so I didn't catch what you are referring to regarding the 50%.

Not stating an opinion here on what you propose, only want to say that, as a writer myself, it isn't usually a lucrative calling for most. Not speaking for ABro, but those of us who write freelance and who don't have a publishing contract with a publisher put in a lot of unpaid writing time. I self-publish. On Amazon I get 70% royalties, and they suggest I sell my eBooks at the $4-7 range. That means about $3.50 a book not counting my expenses. I sell about 1-2 a week on average. It works out to a few hundred a year. I do it because I enjoy it and it brings in a little bonus monthly aside from my other work.

These days, any books sold even through publishers require an author to do their own self-promotion (marketing) on their own time too.

I thought it was you who implied that the book was going to tell us things that we hadn't read before because of the publication bans.

Maybe. I'm guessing.

I thought the mandate of the press is to sell papers, and that is accomplished by giving the people the stories that they want to hear, in my opinion. That curiosity about hoses and such is what drives their business. The days they talked about them, we came back the next day and the next, hoping we'd get an answer. If they had more to tell, they'd tell it, in my opinion. The fact that they don't write more about it now tells me that it has been milked dry, pardon the pun.

Well, that's cynical. The mandate of the press is to inform and educate, to be fair and balanced.

If you want to track an interesting criminal case where there is a war between the convicted and the press, check out the Ezekiel Stephan case:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-that-remains-unheeded-days-after-the-verdict
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2016/2016abqb319/2016abqb319.html

MSM is more constrained than a book author. All MSM stories compete with all others for column inches. There isn't the opportunity to go as in-depth as you can with a book.

Hi Abro, I think some of us are also curious as to what portion of the proceeds of the book are going to SB or to Tim's fund? I know we all want to help! Thanks in advance.

When I give to charity from my income it is private. When I give to my church I do so in a sealed envelope. This question is tacky. IMO.

Not really sure what the reasoning behind the "initial game" is, but I agree, it does sour the WS experience. Sure, if you follow a case like this from the beginning its manageable, but try following a thread midway through that you are not familiar with. It's impossible. I find myself having to go to other sites to read up on the cases before I can even begin to tackle threads here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it's not a game but practical because if we all used the real names, every time someone did a Google search all our posts would come up flooding the results. I believe it's simply housekeeping and avoiding Search Engines.

I don't think it is fair to single out one person and say you, more than anyone else, more even than the people that have been convicted of the crime, owe SB the burden of financial reparations.

If anyone is responsible for financial reparations to SB, it is DM, IMO.

I haven't read the other posts as I read last to first so I didn't catch what you are referring to regarding the 50%.

Not stating an opinion here on what you propose, only want to say that, as a writer myself, it isn't usually a lucrative calling for most. Not speaking for ABro, but those of us who write freelance and who don't have a publishing contract with a publisher put in a lot of unpaid writing time. I self-publish. On Amazon I get 70% royalties, and they suggest I sell my eBooks at the $4-7 range. That means about $3.50 a book not counting my expenses. I sell about 1-2 a week on average. It works out to a few hundred a year. I do it because I enjoy it and it brings in a little bonus monthly aside from my other work.

These days, any books sold even through publishers require an author to do their own self-promotion (marketing) on their own time too.

Thanks for sharing Claroon, that is really cool and something I think I want to do one day.

It's like you're saying that ABro shouldn't keep the money from her book because it's been tainted.

Why doesn't DM give 50% of his fortune to SB? SB would be well taken care of, and ABro could keep the money she earned.

I don't think it is ABro's obligation to pay out to SB; I think it is DM's.

I think that it's odd some people are so defensive about Abro making money off of selling her book. Please don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing about Abro's money being tainted, this is the first I've heard that term being used in reference to her.

I think if DM was writing a book that anything at all to do with the death of Tim Bosma that he would be giving more than half to the victim's family.

I'm not sure how DM giving his money to SB would have anything to do with Abro does with her money. Was Abro going to make enough money off of the book to support SB? Because honestly, I think that would be a karmically wonderful thing, and I don't see anything unethical about that at all. I do feel that if someone was going to write a book about people who are only famous for murder, that some portion of the proceeds should naturally go to the victim's family, or in this case, the victim's charity. But that's just my opinion.

And until we hear from AB herself, it's all kind of a moot point to defend her or condem her, in my opinion, we don't know where she stands on the subject. She may be actually be proud of the percentage she is giving to the victim's charity. I have faith in humanity still, and hope that possibly this could be the something positive that comes from all this waste.

All my opinion only.

I think that it's odd some people are so defensive about Abro making money off of selling her book. Please don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing about Abro's money being tainted, this is the first I've heard that term being used in reference to her.

I think if DM was writing a book that anything at all to do with the death of Tim Bosma that he would be giving more than half to the victim's family.

lol DM is a convicted criminal; he's not allowed to profit by writing his own story of the crime! That's against the law!

I'm not sure how DM giving his money to SB would have anything to do with Abro does with her money. Was Abro going to make enough money off of the book to support SB? Because honestly, I think that would be a karmically wonderful thing, and I don't see anything unethical about that at all. I do feel that if someone was going to write a book about people who are only famous for murder, that some portion of the proceeds should naturally go to the victim's family, or in this case, the victim's charity. But that's just my opinion.

And until we hear from AB herself, it's all kind of a moot point to defend her or condem her, in my opinion, we don't know where she stands on the subject. She may be actually be proud of the percentage she is giving to the victim's charity. I have faith in humanity still, and hope that possibly this could be the something positive that comes from all this waste.

All my opinion only.

I find it comical that we are in a discussion about how one single journalist above all others should donate to SB.

It was not money, anyway, that carried SB through this trial. Her church, her faith, her family, her friends, and her community lifted that burden.

It is a very shallow life view IMO to think that money makes things all better and is more important in your healing than the support of others.

If money made things all better, we wouldn't have therapy: they'd just hand out cheques.

If anyone owes anyone reparations, it is DM to SB.

I agree that the initial question that started this discussion is tacky, but if ABro wishes to answer the question, that's up to her. As for the responses, they do contain some interesting points, so I'm going to let them stand to this point. ABro is an author however ... no different than any other author and their financial matters are NONE of our business in this case.

STOP any further discussion about journalistic integrity, how much, etc. Discuss the book but leave the author out of it !!!

I don't think it is fair to single out one person and say you, more than anyone else, more even than the people that have been convicted of the crime, owe SB the burden of financial reparations.

If anyone is responsible for financial reparations to SB, it is DM, IMO.
Why not MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member