Verdict: GUILTY for both Millard and Smich of 1st degree murder #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this suggesting TD was paid for by the tax payers? Is there any proof of that?

Just because I think he's broke.

So, if you are rich and commit a crime, you should face an extra punishment of having your money taken away?

I thought justice was blind, and all were equal in the eyes of the law. Perhaps I am wrong.

Is this suggesting TD was paid for by the tax payers? Is there any proof of that?

IMO TD was probably paid by no one and worked in large part pro bono. I am sure he'd take all the money MS had, but that wasn't anything. Perhaps the family could contribute; perhaps they don't care to; perhaps they can't.

I suspect a large part of MS's bill though is going to be unpaid.

Think of it as charity, but look at the publicity it earned!

IMO TD was probably paid by no one and worked in large part pro bono. I am sure he'd take all the money MS had, but that wasn't anything. Perhaps the family could contribute; perhaps they don't care to; perhaps they can't.

Is this confirmed? <modsnip>

So, if you are rich and commit a crime, you should face an extra punishment of having your money taken away?

I thought justice was blind, and all were equal in the eyes of the law. Perhaps I am wrong.

DM's in jail for life. What does he need millions for now? Why doesn't he entrust all of his wealth to a charitable trust that can do good things? He can't spend it: there are caps as to what he can bring into prison and buy from the canteen. So what is he going to need the money for? In prison, wealth will only bring you grief, as other prisoners attempt to extract it from you by any means possible.

Is this confirmed? <modsnip>

I expect that it would be a big bill, typically a million or more. I don't think most families have the resources to absorb that kind of financial shock. If MS's family was into helping him, I'm sure that they raised all the money that they could.

I expect that it would be a big bill, typically a million or more. I don't think most families have the resources to absorb that kind of financial shock. If MS's family was into helping him, I'm sure that they raised all the money that they could.

Most homes in the Oakville area are worth over a million dollars.

I'm pretty sure they'd both be civilly liable for a wrongful death claim, it's just that in practice it would likely be no more than a technicality for MS since he has no $$. I don't think in Canada people get extravagant damages for that though, whereas if it were in the US, SB could probably sue and get millions from DM.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most homes in the Oakville area are worth over a million dollars.

Maybe the house is worth close to a million, but no financial institution is going to hand a single, aging mother a million dollars as a loan. Simply no way for her to pay it back, and contrary to popular belief, banks aren't eager to seize houses to get their money.

Certainly there is a benefit for lawyers to take as many high profile cases as possible. Possibly Smich's family kicked in a bit and legal aid probably paid a good chunk, and TD is eating the rest.

What I wonder is if Smich was your kid, given the evidence against him, would you mortgage your home for his legal aid? I wouldn't. I wouldn't have given him a dime, and he shouldn't have asked for a dime. He was going to go down for this, we all knew it, and any money put in to his defence fund might have well have been flushed down a toilet.

MS (in his version of a shorn drug addict and hobby painter or in his version of a neatly parted accused with knowledge about Walt Disney) is always good as an object to a little charity mission, being the spender DM or TD. :D

It is always up to a defendant to pay for a defence, rich or poor. Its just like going to university, if you can't afford it the government will give you a loan to pay for it.

Hey anyone who works on a book for over three years deserves to make some money off of it IMO. If someone wants to put in all that time and not make a cent and donate all of the proceeds, they are a better person than I am and I invite anyone to do that if they have that kind of time and energy. JMO

It is always up to a defendant to pay for a defence, rich or poor. Its just like going to university, if you can't afford it the government will give you a loan to pay for it.

My understanding is that Legal Aid is available to most who can't pay. If a person does have some assets, a deal for a partial payment may be arranged. Legal Aid is funded by the Government of Ontario and the Law Foundation of Ontario. Here is a short writeup: http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/about/fact_funding.asp

I don't believe it has to be paid back. I do believe lawyers would take pay out of LA over going pro bono, but that's my unfounded opinion.

I think that it's odd some people are so defensive about Abro making money off of selling her book. Please don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing about Abro's money being tainted, this is the first I've heard that term being used in reference to her.

I think if DM was writing a book that anything at all to do with the death of Tim Bosma that he would be giving more than half to the victim's family.

I'm not sure how DM giving his money to SB would have anything to do with Abro does with her money. Was Abro going to make enough money off of the book to support SB? Because honestly, I think that would be a karmically wonderful thing, and I don't see anything unethical about that at all. I do feel that if someone was going to write a book about people who are only famous for murder, that some portion of the proceeds should naturally go to the victim's family, or in this case, the victim's charity. But that's just my opinion.

And until we hear from AB herself, it's all kind of a moot point to defend her or condem her, in my opinion, we don't know where she stands on the subject. She may be actually be proud of the percentage she is giving to the victim's charity. I have faith in humanity still, and hope that possibly this could be the something positive that comes from all this waste.

All my opinion only.

BBM

Convicts are not allowed to profit from their crimes.

Regarding the bolded portion above, I am curious to understand how you arrived at this conclusion. Did you see some evidence of DM's charitable ways during the trial?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certainly there is a benefit for lawyers to take as many high profile cases as possible. Possibly Smich's family kicked in a bit and legal aid probably paid a good chunk, and TD is eating the rest.

What I wonder is if Smich was your kid, given the evidence against him, would you mortgage your home for his legal aid? I wouldn't. I wouldn't have given him a dime, and he shouldn't have asked for a dime. He was going to go down for this, we all knew it, and any money put in to his defence fund might have well have been flushed down a toilet.

What I wonder is how someone could abandon their kid, yet everyone talks about how upbringings must've factored into why people turn this way, yet in their time of need we abandon them? Not something I could ever do personally but to each their own. I'd be supporting my child(ren) every step of the way however I could. Since the family you're referring to is said to be close, I assume they would do the same. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncorliss52