Verdict: GUILTY for both Millard and Smich of 1st degree murder #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was associated with a close buddy who was convicted of this crime and I'd helped in ANY way, I would value my privacy too much to fool around with making sure I kept my stupid social media up to date.

If I was associated with a close buddy who was convicted of this crime and I'd helped in ANY way, I would value my privacy too much to fool around with making sure I kept my stupid social media up to date.
Well that's just it, oddly they seem to enjoy the attention.

http://www.cbc.ca/interactives/longform/news/wayward-son-dellen-millard-tim-bosma-trial

The bankruptcy was earlier.

DM held Maplegate, the distillery condo, the Vaughan condo, the farm, and the 6-plex at the time of his arrest. Those properties sold for $6M.

He also had the hangar, and while we don't know what it sold for, it had to be at least $6M.

Then he had a $3.7M bank loan and probably a $1M legal bill.

He's still got lots of coin.
I'm happy that he has something to fantasize about while he's serving his first life sentence. DM will spend the rest of his days behind bars and no amount of money will set him free. Imagine how torturous that would be? Knowing you have millions and not being able to enjoy that jet setting life style? He is now officially an equal to MS- a convict. With any luck at all MB is treating Pedo to prime rib and taking him to the doggy spa on a weekly basis. MOO

I was looking into what actually exists 'out there' which would prevent a murderer from receiving his inheritance, in the event he killed the person he was inheriting from. It seems the law that covers this is the one which says you can't profit from your crime. Apparently the inheritance would be changed as if the person receiving the inheritance had died first. In this case, since DM was single and had no offspring, I'm not sure what that would mean. That would normally mean that WM's estate which would have been inherited by DM, would instead pass on to DM's estate to be inherited by whomever he had named in his will?

In any case, what happens though if WM's estate had already been transferred to DM's possession, and then LATER it was discovered that DM had caused the death of WM? How would they get it back?

Everything about theses cases seems to be sooooo complicated! jmo

ETA: in thinking a little further on this..... could this be why DM's assets were transferred into MB's name? But no.... that couldn't be true since I believe his stuff was transferred right away upon his arrest in May 2013, while it wasn't until something like April 2014 when he was accused of murdering WM. moo

Regarding legal aid.. I know someone who got into trouble.. he was told to get a lawyer.. if the person qualifies financially or otherwise for legal aid assistance, the person is given a list of lawyers who accept legal aid cases, and from that list, a lawyer is chosen by the accused. That list doesn't seem to be a published list, but someone who had been in a situation might know who is on the list in a given area.

I'm not sure how it would work as far as legal aid... if a person resides in one jurisdiction, but is accused and attending court in another jurisdiction.. as far as I know, the list is provided according to who accepts legal aid in *that* particular jurisdiction, but yet I believe that both MS and DM chose lawyers from outside of the 'greater Hamilton area'. There would be all kinds of travel considerations on top of the usual legal expenses. moo.

In regard to qualifying financially, the income levels seem really low before one is able to get legal aid assistance. But yet if someone is jailed while they wait, they aren't able to continue making even a meager income, so how would anyone be able to pay, unless they had a large savings? I got the impression that even if a person doesn't qualify financially, that legal aid refusal can be overridden if the charges are of a serious enough nature.

Some lawyers aren't signed up to accept legal aid cases, but I'm not sure if say one of those lawyers wanted to accept one legal aid case in particular, he can choose to quickly sign up or not, and then just take the one case?

Some lawyers live at the courthouse, and take all legal aid cases, in and out like a factory, striking deals even when the accuseds don't want to plea. The less time spent on each case, the more money in those lawyers' pockets = good for them, not-necessarily-so-good for the accuseds.

Regarding legal aid.. I know someone who got into trouble.. he was told to get a lawyer.. if the person qualifies financially or otherwise for legal aid assistance, the person is given a list of lawyers who accept legal aid cases, and from that list, a lawyer is chosen by the accused. That list doesn't seem to be a published list, but someone who had been in a situation might know who is on the list in a given area.

I'm not sure how it would work as far as legal aid... if a person resides in one jurisdiction, but is accused and attending court in another jurisdiction.. as far as I know, the list is provided according to who accepts legal aid in *that* particular jurisdiction, but yet I believe that both MS and DM chose lawyers from outside of the 'greater Hamilton area'. There would be all kinds of travel considerations on top of the usual legal expenses. moo.

In regard to qualifying financially, the income levels seem really low before one is able to get legal aid assistance. But yet if someone is jailed while they wait, they aren't able to continue making even a meager income, so how would anyone be able to pay, unless they had a large savings? I got the impression that even if a person doesn't qualify financially, that legal aid refusal can be overridden if the charges are of a serious enough nature.

Some lawyers aren't signed up to accept legal aid cases, but I'm not sure if say one of those lawyers wanted to accept one legal aid case in particular, he can choose to quickly sign up or not, and then just take the one case?

Some lawyers live at the courthouse, and take all legal aid cases, in and out like a factory, striking deals even when the accuseds don't want to plea. The less time spent on each case, the more money in those lawyers' pockets = good for them, not-necessarily-so-good for the accuseds.

I believe the list of legal aid lawyers given to an accused is just a suggestion. I belive that any lawyer is allowed to accept legal aid for a client who is eligible for it, if they choose to represent them on it, without them ever having to be put of the list that is given out. I assume most of the lawyers on that list are the same ones who hang around the courthouse all day. So if you already have a lawyer who has agreed to work with you and ten it turns out you qualify for legal aid they have the choice of accepting, declining and asking you to get another lawyer, or doing it pro bono. And I can't see one doing it pro bono if they could get at least a little something for their time from legal aid.

All my opinion only.

I was looking into what actually exists 'out there' which would prevent a murderer from receiving his inheritance, in the event he killed the person he was inheriting from. It seems the law that covers this is the one which says you can't profit from your crime. Apparently the inheritance would be changed as if the person receiving the inheritance had died first. In this case, since DM was single and had no offspring, I'm not sure what that would mean. That would normally mean that WM's estate which would have been inherited by DM, would instead pass on to DM's estate to be inherited by whomever he had named in his will?

In any case, what happens though if WM's estate had already been transferred to DM's possession, and then LATER it was discovered that DM had caused the death of WM? How would they get it back?

Everything about theses cases seems to be sooooo complicated! jmo

ETA: in thinking a little further on this..... could this be why DM's assets were transferred into MB's name? But no.... that couldn't be true since I believe his stuff was transferred right away upon his arrest in May 2013, while it wasn't until something like April 2014 when he was accused of murdering WM. moo

Well the money has to go to MB to prevent any payout to Tim and Laura's family, doesn't it?

So DM plans on representing himself during LB's murder. Is it because he cannot afford legal representation and doesn't want a legal aid lawyer, or he thinks he can do a better job, or he wants to make a total imbecile of himself?

Has DM actually stated somewhere that he plans on representing himself in the LB trial, or are people just inferring that because he hasn't retained a lawyer yet? (There could be many other reasons a lawyer hasn't yet been formally retained.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has DM actually stated somewhere that he plans on representing himself in the LB trial, or are people just inferring that because he hasn't retained a lawyer yet? (There could be many other reasons a lawyer hasn't yet been formally retained.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Juridicus! He has told the court that he will defend himself.

http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/tag/laura-babcock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hypothetical situation:

If MB self-published a book telling DM's story, and posted it on Amazon with 50% of the proceeds going to Tim's Tribute and 50% of the proceeds going to MB...

Would you read it?

Would you pay money for it?

Would this be legal?

Would it be ethical for MB to promote the book using Tim's charity?

Hypothetical situation:

If MB self-published a book telling DM's story, and posted it on Amazon with 50% of the proceeds going to Tim's Tribute and 50% of the proceeds going to MB...

Would you read it? No.

Would you pay money for it? No, not 1 cent.

Would this be legal? If, big if, she's not charged with anything connected to the murder & alleged murders, my guess it would be legal.

Would it be ethical for MB to promote the book using Tim's charity? No, IMO. I'd imagine Tim's charity would not want to be associated with her in any way.

MB should amend the sketchy real estate transfers of DM's properties that he signed over to her following TB's murder. She should fully co-operate with police (I don't know whether she has or not). If she does, or has already done so, be transparent about it with the media. Maybe start there, and publicly apologize for any part she may have played in the murder(s).

I can't recall anyone surrounding DM who has publicly said 'I'm sorry for...' Has anyone?

If she wants to tell her story - tell it to respected journalists, let them vet out the truth of what she might say.

If she wishes to contribute to Tim's charity, nothing is stopping her from doing so anonymously. Nothing is stopping her from anonymously sending money to SB so that she can further upgrade the security on her property so that she rests more soundly, or put the money towards TB's daughter's education etc.

Hypothetical situation:

Would you read it?

Would this be legal?

Why would anyone want to read a book written by someone who doesn't know anything and wasn't there and didn't ask questions?
I'd be more inclined to read a book about her and her child rearing techniques.

Why would anyone want to read a book written by someone who doesn't know anything and wasn't there and didn't ask questions?
I'd be more inclined to read a book about her and her child rearing techniques.

Well, eventually DM had to tell her something. Would it be legal for her to write what DM told her?

Hypothetical situation:

Would you read it?

Would this be legal?

No to all.
If anyone wishes to contribute to Tim's Tribute, can do so without sponsoring MB and DM while doing so. MB too can contribute without herself trying to profit from a tragedy his son caused.

MB can't even know what happened, because she was't there. At most she could tell is something she was told, which would be a big fat lie anyway. We saw at the trial that DM manipulates people and tell them stories he think they would believe. He even tells different versions to the same people, like to CN. But this is beside the point. MB has morally no right to profit from this. She could say sorry, though and support the charity herself anonymously.

All IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members