Verdict: GUILTY for both Millard and Smich of 1st degree murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All MOO...

What a twisted duo they were: DM, the psychopath willing to do anything for his own gain, and MS, the willing partner who secretly hungered for violence. DM was the master manipulator out to build his empire of vehicles, properties, women, and adventures, and Mark -- or as he preferred to be called, "Murk" -- became his secret weapon. DM turned to MS to help him execute the most challenging missions which nobody else could do:

• Killing Laura Babcock because he lost control over her (impregnated her, perhaps?).
  • Killing his father to take over his family's wealth.
  • Killing Tim Bosma to get his dream truck.

What was in it for MS? The thrill of the kill. He and DM both shared it. It was their dirty secret. But MS really fantasized about. He wrote about it. He rapped about it. He made videos of it. He expressed his excitement for it through symbolism and art that he shared with DM. There was no fun for MS until somebody was hurt. While DM saw killing as a means to an end, MS saw it as the end. He wanted fireworks. It was the sweet fruit to satisfy his poisoned mind.

As DM did with everyone else in his life, he recognized a quality in MS and took advantage of it for his own gain. In exchange for MS's allegiance, DM opened the door for him to make his fantasies a reality, using his wealth to acquire the tools they would need along the way: guns, ammo, incinerator, and more. MS stepped through the door like a child entering Disneyland: DM was indeed Walt Disney, and when the night fell there were plenty of fireworks.

Welcome back!! You have been greatly missed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cristina Tenaglia ‏@cristina_CP24 30s31 seconds ago
#Bosma jury done for the night. Back tomorrow.

Well they will be deliberating even if DM is in Toronto tomorrow morning for some court thing. I'm thinking it's for the Wayne Millard case because Smich would also be named if it were for the Babcock murder trial. JMO

My guess would be that it meant lack of evidence in this case that two guns were used. We had one casing only, and no evidence that more than one shot was fired. I think it's probably both legally (as if I'd actually know!) and logically the correct decision. Imagine there were three guns as per MS's 'multiple guns' statement in voir dire. Let's say one is confiscated with WM, and one was stolen from a bag in Millard's house as per MM in voir dire. That would leave one. In that scenario, and others, it would have been misleading for the jury to see two guns. IMO it's not like they've been shielded from anything critical. Both defendants had photographs with the gun, the jury knows it was purchased by DM, MS raps about 'his' .380 and so on. As Goodman said, the jury doesn't even need to figure out who shot the gun if they agree they were acting in concert. So it would have added little but grounds for appeal IMO.

Thanks but I still can't follow the logic all the way through....

Here is where I am getting stuck:

1.There is evidence that Tim was shot as per GSR,, blood etc. etc.
There is evidence that the truck was cleaned.
Therefore one shell casing doesn't really prove much since it could have just been missed out of many shell casings that were cleaned up

2. We don't have evidence that only one gun was used or more than one gun.

There is evidence of preplanning in my opinion by both. It is not unheard of that both agreed to shoot (so that they both would be perceived by each other as being "all in". ) Or they could both have pulled guns to control Tim.

3. We don't know what gun was used for WM do we? or what was confiscated? No one knows how many guns they had to start with.

4. In the part I bolded in your quote, isn't that exactly what the jury is supposed to determine and not just assume? What if the jury doesn't agree they were acting in concert (without the two gun evidence) but that evidence that there was more than one gun would suggest they were acting in concert?

I am missing how this evidence opens them to appeal. Appeal based on what?

thanks!

I had to go out for a couple of hours and while I was driving an announcement came on the radio from 680 News stating that there was an update from the courthouse in the Tim Bosma murder trial.

My ears perked up as I anticipated that the verdicts were in - I took a deep breath and gripped the wheel as if bracing myself for the news - but then the announcer just said that if the jury didn't have a verdict by 6:15 pm they would end their deliberations for the day. Geesh. I already knew that.

I want to be here with you all when the verdicts are delivered. It would feel very lonely to hear the news elsewhere and I hope we can gather together here because few others could understand how we will each feel. :grouphug:

All MOO

I had to go out for a couple of hours and while I was driving an announcement came on the radio from 680 News stating that there was an update from the courthouse in the Tim Bosma murder trial.

My ears perked up as I anticipated that the verdicts were in - I took a deep breath and gripped the wheel as if bracing myself for the news - but then the announcer just said that if the jury didn't have a verdict by 6:15 pm they would end their deliberations for the day. Geesh. I already knew that.

I want to be here with you all when the verdicts are delivered. It would feel very lonely to hear the news elsewhere and I hope we can gather together here because few others could understand how we will each feel. :grouphug:

All MOO

Well said! Every time there is a big announcement, like the end of evidence, or jury going into deliberations, I'm so glad to have WS. It's just been such an intense road since the beginning.

Interesting. IIRC there was a post saying that it took the jury 65 hours in the Picton trial and it was one of the longer deliberations in the country. So that makes me think they have put a significant dent in the mountain they faced on Monday.
It wouldn't look good if the finished up tomorrow at noon just ahead of the weekend....so maybe we'll actually hear early Saturday. They salvage part of their weekend and maintain their well earned image.

...Father's Day is Sunday...although I DON'T want to rush the jury, a verdict on Sunday would be another "sign".
(Again, believing that both accused get M1) MOO

Well said! Every time there is a big announcement, like the end of evidence, or jury going into deliberations, I'm so glad to have WS. It's just been such an intense road since the beginning.

So true, Tiggertoo! What would we do without one another? Even when we all drive each other to distraction at times with debates and opposing opinions, we are a tight-knit group and all of us want justice for TB! :)

All MOO.

...Father's Day is Sunday...although I DON'T want to rush the jury, a verdict on Sunday would be another "sign".
(Again, believing that both accused get M1) MOO

That possibility hadn't occurred to me but it would be a lovely sign indeed if the jury made its decision on Father's Day.

All MOO.

As per TOS, do not post screenshots from social media (unless official MSM, LE, or Missing Persons pages).

ETA: That includes bringing posts/comments/quotes over from social media accounts that are not official resources.

Thanks but I still can't follow the logic all the way through....

Here is where I am getting stuck:

1.There is evidence that Tim was shot as per GSR,, blood etc. etc.
There is evidence that the truck was cleaned.
Therefore one shell casing doesn't really prove much since it could have just been missed out of many shell casings that were cleaned up

2. We don't have evidence that only one gun was used or more than one gun.

There is evidence of preplanning in my opinion by both. It is not unheard of that both agreed to shoot (so that they both would be perceived by each other as being "all in". ) Or they could both have pulled guns to control Tim.

3. We don't know what gun was used for WM do we? or what was confiscated? No one knows how many guns they had to start with.

4. In the part I bolded in your quote, isn't that exactly what the jury is supposed to determine and not just assume? What if the jury doesn't agree they were acting in concert (without the two gun evidence) but that evidence that there was more than one gun would suggest they were acting in concert?

I am missing how this evidence opens them to appeal. Appeal based on what?

thanks!

I agree that nobody knows how many guns there were to start, or how many there were left by the time of Tim's murder. That is, I think, the point. To show the jury two guns not knowing if the second gun had any relevance to this crime in any way or was even still accessible in May 2013 could be prejudicial for reasons exactly like the reason you suggested. It could lead to a conclusion like 'they were acting in concert' when in fact the second gun had nothing to do with this crime. There is no evidence or testimony that Tim was shot with more than one gun or that more than one gun was present at the scene. The jury is unlikely to be given evidence to speculate on when it's an issue of such importance. Throwing in vague hose suggestions is one thing. Vague guns are quite another.

I agree that nobody knows how many guns there were to start, or how many there were left by the time of Tim's murder. That is, I think, the point. To show the jury two guns not knowing if the second gun had any relevance to this crime in any way or was even still accessible in May 2013 could be prejudicial for reasons exactly like the reason you suggested. It could lead to a conclusion like 'they were acting in concert' when in fact the second gun had nothing to do with this crime. There is no evidence or testimony that Tim was shot with more than one gun or that more than one gun was present at the scene. The jury is unlikely to be given evidence to speculate on when it's an issue of such importance. Throwing in vague hose suggestions is one thing. Vague guns are quite another.
I suppose the question is what would have happened if that shell wasn't found? Could they then being up both guns?

I suppose the question is what would have happened if that shell wasn't found? Could they then being up both guns?

Interesting question. No idea. It would have changed the shape of the argument for sure. I think a lot depends on things we may not know. The court may know more about where the S&W in the photo ended up than we do.

All MOO

Agreed. Most of us have followed intently for the past 3 yrs. Just seem right we're all here for the verdict. I know a lot of you don't agree with my opinions but I have valued all of yours. Even when I disagreed or argued vehemently.

We've been this case since day 1 and it's has been a rollercoaster while we sift through every angle. Every word said. Every action made. Dissecting every last crumb. I know myself there were not many things that were overly surprising. We knew the key players before they were called to the stand.

What I didn't know was how there were so many cold, callous people out there are just covering their own asses. It makes me sick that out of this entire group of them, not one person could do the right thing.

But now we wait. And hope for justice for everyone.

Again, all in the favour of the accused. If indeed they both did shoot him, then not revealing the 2nd gun information alluded to several times IMO is leaving one person looking too innocent. A LOT of difference between a hose and a zombie bullet gun. Important enough IMO it should have been presented as a possibility and let the jury decided just as everything else was presented for them to decide on. Why present the toolbox if no one ever did see the gun in it? Same thing. IMO.

Personally, I look for signs, little things that bring reminders to me of loved ones that have passed. The Dodge in the background, imo, was a stance to everyone that this crime will not break them...that they will stand proud and not hide. Notice it was clean and shining, just as Tim's was.

Very insightful of you redwing7225. Sounds like you have had some loss in your life and have walked the walk. Thanks for sharing this wisdom.

What an incredible way to honor Tim, Sharlene, their beautiful daughter, family, friends, and everyone who loved Tim - I even include WM here, should the jury find the defendants guilty of 1st-degree murder on Father's Day. Oh, the irony! :please: :praying:

Again, all in the favour of the accused. If indeed they both did shoot him, then not revealing the 2nd gun information alluded to several times IMO is leaving one person looking too innocent. A LOT of difference between a hose and a zombie bullet gun. Important enough IMO it should have been presented as a possibility and let the jury decided just as everything else was presented for them to decide on. Why present the toolbox if no one ever did see the gun in it? Same thing. IMO.

The toolbox was presented because there was evidence that it was relevant to this crime. In addition to testimony from MS, BD, MH, MM and AM, the toolbox had gsr in it! It's not remotely the same thing as a gun with absolutely no known connection to the crime. I think every post opposing the suppression of the evidence unintentionally makes a mini case as to exactly why it was decided as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back