Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurors watching HLN right now and thinking OMG what is this .. is this the same trial we were on .. what's this about headstands? Interviews? Doggie Boy?

No kidding. They are the ones who are really going to be fuming in a couple of days.

I'll try to ask one of my questions more succinctly:

If the case is re-tried for the DP, would that set CMFA up for an even stronger appeal and then possibly get to be a free citizen again?

No. Not at all.

I politely disagree because a lot could go wrong now. There has been no decision made on her sentence, so a lot could go wrong now. For instance, a plea deal may be started so that the family doesnt have to suffer through any more of this nonsense.

Also, if another jury ever hears the case , there is no way they are going to appreciate the evilness of Jodi like this jury did. Therefore, the odds of them giving her DP is much lower than with this jury.

I wish they would have kept trying. I think they gave up too early for the HOLIDAY. Ugggggg

I absolutely disagree. The only thing being retired is a portion of sentencing. Whether we like it or not, spending months looking at a person and hearing them speak for 19 days on the stand, makes them more real and more human. The new jury won't have had that experience.

All they will get to analyze in the courtroom setting is the absolutely, viscious brutality of the crime, such as the utterly shocking crime scene and autopsy photos - photos this jury has seen for months and likely now finds less shocking - and then jodi's ridiculous, self serving speech and closing arguments. Right after seeing the horror of what she has done and hearing her glib statements about donating her hair, they will vote on life or death. A death penalty qualified jury will vote on life or death.

A worse case scenario, IMO would have been a verdict of life today because I think there is even less chance of her getting life at this stage. Much less of a chance.

I'm sad right now for Travis' family and friends that this gets dragged out even more.
I think the jury in the end did the right thing. Seems like Travis' family wants death so its good that they came back hung. Maybe they can get the sentence they want in the end.
Has this ever happened before? How easy would it be to use this with any appeals after the sentencing is done?
Will they have to go through the whole trial again? Or is there only certain things they can go over now?

They will NOT have to go through the whole trial again.

She's going to die in prison either way.

There's no way this really starts in July, right?

Yeah, I don;t think so.

Those who are not familiar with Arizona Law:
This is NOT a win for the DEFENSE. This is a delay in sentencing.

CMja is a convicted Murderer of the First degree. That can NOT be changed.
CMja is a convicted Felony Murderer of the 1st degree. That can NOT be changed.

CMja only has "Death" and "Life" (with or without parole) to look forward to, both, which I would bet the farm on, are DEATH SENTENCES for her.

CMja said no jury would convict her, well they've done it twice so far.

So, as the trial goes:
The State of Arizona-2
CMja- 0

She is already toast, no matter what happens in the next few months.

My gosh, thank you! That's exactly right!

I would rather report stupid comments guys. Quoting them just means they'll keep appearing on more pages. 2cents.

You are so right. BTW, I moseyed over to the jodi arias site once to see those people's reactions to a verdict (aggravators) in this case. That is a bunch of the most evil, deranged souls I have seen in a while. I had to shower afterward. Very mentally disturbed and scary people. Please let's not let them hijack this thread with responses to their illness.

the dp opponents must have been the holdup, not the other way around? Why couldn't the dp advocates come down to lwop and be done. `````
Why should they? Death is still on the table as it is...being done isnt the point...the point is a proper verdict. JMO

WagaraTapaTalk

Did anyone hear the reporter on DD say that CM admitted to STILL being in love with TA/Unfreakinbelievable.

HLN hearing why they didn't get interviews .. passing out tissues.

My sentiments exactly, Charlie. I am convinced that a fresh set of eyes and ears will be all the more willing to send our little Einstein to the injection table. She's outsmarted herself again! Hmmm, seems to be a pattern there.

Just had much the same discussion with a friend...

I wish there was some way they could get in the info about Jodi having a gun and some knives hidden in her car when she was arrested. Then Juan could say that she was already on the prowl for her next victims.

Let me see if I can even pose a question....is it not gonna be extremely hard to get any jurors that can say they have not heard of this case? I am just sick.

She has been tried and found guilty in a public trial. Future jurors will just have to listen to the penalty phase not go through the whole trial. I would think they would just have to agree they would judge her fairly by what they hear during the penalty phase.

I do think her interviews will hurt her in the end. These jurors were not aware of what she has said and how she still blames Travis. I'm wondering if JM will be able to use those interviews with the next panel of jurors.

Amy on Dr Drew thinks Jodi chose this interviewer because they have similar colouring .. :facepalm:

Now they're getting grandma's lecture about flies, honey and vinegar .. :floorlaugh:

Does anyone know where I can see KCLs juror list with their nicknames and descriptions? TIA

I can't find the Obs thread however I have it copied

Jurors

1.Church Lady- Mid 50's, short hair, no make-up, glasses.
This lady looks absolutely disgusted the whole time. I never once saw her look in the direction of JA. Not ONCE. She either stares straight forward or looks at JM.

2.Trump-Guy in 40's, lots of hair, car salesman look.
I called this guy "Comb Over" he had his head resting on his hand almost the whole time. He also never looks at JA. He seemed to be paying attention, but also seemed bored.

3.Housewife-She is a big lady (tall and heavy set, not obese) with a very sweet face, no make-up.
Interesting different view today. I called her the "Angry Neighbor Lady" Lol. I wrote that she follows along, but has a constant "sour puss". I don't know if it's just "her look" or what, but she seemed to be frowning every time I looked at her.

It's Juror 16, Maureen who they are saying is JA's Mom lookalike. The "blond lady" is Housewife.

The only one that even remotely resembles JA's mom would be #3 Housewife. I don't think she does... but she's the only one that I could even understand someone making the comparison.

ETA... If you're asking because JC said (not a great source IMO) that one of the juror's that resembled her mom looked upset or whatever...

If you read the descriptions of the jurors on page #1, you'll see how I described housewife. I was only there one day, but she looked grumpy the whole time. I thought maybe she just has a frowning "resting face" though. PASA and KCL had very different thoughts on her though and they saw her way more than I did.

4.Grandpa-Bald, sweet faced older man that looks like my grandpa.
I also named this man Grandpa. He does have a sweet face and seems the "calm" type.

5.excusedTricolor-Early 30's, short, stylish haircut with three colors, reminds me of one of my hairstylists.
This is the only one I remembered Anita's name for because her hair stood out, Lol. She reminded me of my best friend. She probably gave more facial expressions than any of the others. She is very engaged and took a fair amount of notes.

6.Nancy-Lady in her 50's, lovely face, reminds me of Nancy Reagan with glasses, short sassy haircut.
I called her Spikey Hair. Anita's description is better. She was the only one I saw look at Jodi when the jury first walked in. She took a lot of notes.

7.Paul Rudd-Younger guy, mid-late 20's with spiky hair, sweat jacket, looks like the actor Paul Rudd.
He does look like Paul Rudd, but with shorter hair. He's a good looking young man.

8.The CEO-Good looking man, mid 50's with goatee. Can see him being the jury foreman.
I called this guy "The Dad". He looks nothing like my dad, Lol, but for whatever reason... I got a fatherly feel from him.

9.Willy-Old hippy with long white ponytail, thin, small build.
This guy looked PIZZED the whole time. He seemed to be staring towards the media lady or just into the corner. I only saw him look at JM or JA maybe once.

10.Barb-Female, 40's ALTERNATE, has the "sexy librarian" look, wearing a form fitting sweater, slender build and voluptuous. If ANYONE on the jury is offended by disparaging comments regarding breast augmentation, my guess is it would be her. She is the only juror I couldn't see very clearly; just when she entered and exited the courtroom and when I stretched up out of my seat to gawk at her.
I called this lady "Plain Jane" She was very hard to see from where I was, but I could tell she was taking notes quite a bit.

11 Excused for duration of the trial due to illness.Poquito-Little Mexican guy (maybe 5'3) with long graduated pony tail, lots of facial hair and piercings.
I called him "Paco" He was hard to see too, but mostly because he was slouched down in his seat I thought he'd fall off Lol. At one point he was bent over instead of slouching, but still very hard to see.

12.Neil-Early 50's high forehead, glasses, looks very nervous and turns red easily. This is the guy that makes KCL nervous.
I called this guy "Jim" I wrote "very hard to read".

13.The Wrestler-Younger good looking guy, large build.
I called this guy "The Jock" He reminded me a little of Oz on American Pie (Chris Klein).

14.Old potsmoking CPA (I have no idea why I wrote this, i have ZERO recollection of this juror. He did not make any impression on me, other than when I was going down the rows naming them.)
I called this guy Sleepy. He swiveled in his chair a lot and fell asleep at least twice. He was also slouched down in his chair.

15.Elderly Man ALTERNATE-This man is definitely the oldest juror, he occasionally uses the headphones to listen to the proceedings that Jodie's Auntie uses.
I called him "Captain" He has a very intense gaze. It's hard to describe but he gives off a stubborn and no bs vibe. Maybe ex military or something?

16.Maureen-Red haired, glasses (the red might be too red to be a natural ginger) If I had to guess one Mormon on the jury, it would be her.
I called her The Secretary. She took a lot of notes and had a "polished" look to her. She had her whole body turned facing Jodi. I barely saw her look at JM. She was the only one that really made me feel nervous at all.

It's Juror 16, Maureen who they are saying is JA's Mom lookalike. The "blond lady" is Housewife.

17.Pony Tail-Young girl, ALTERNATE pony tail, plain, pony tail and sweats.
I called her frumpy lady. Not in a rude way... it's just the word that came to mind. Very plain. She took a lot of notes.

18.The Artist-Bald, attractive, glasses, 50's-60's, large build, holds his notebook on a binder as if he's going to sketch. He looks around the gallery a lot. I thought we met eyes a couple of times, but who knows, that room is so huge!
This guy also had a very intense gaze. He took some notes. He rubbed his face and tapped his fingers to his lips a lot. He wasn't the only one doing stuff like that, but I'll get into that in my notes.

Also can find HLN's juror list here:

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/04/01/jodi-arias-trial-juror-descriptions?hpt=hln10_1

No. Not at all.

I absolutely disagree. The only thing being retired is a portion of sentencing. Whether we like it or not, spending months looking at a person and hearing them speak for 19 days on the stand, makes them more real and more human. The new jury won't have had that experience.

All they will get to analyze in the courtroom setting is the absolutely, viscious brutality of the crime, such as the utterly shocking crime scene and autopsy photos - photos this jury has seen for months and likely now finds less shocking - and then jodi's ridiculous, self serving speech and closing arguments. Right after seeing the horror of what she has done and hearing her glib statements about donating her hair, they will vote on life or death. A death penalty qualified jury will vote on life or death.

A worse case scenario, IMO would have been a verdict of life today because I think there is even less chance of her getting life at this stage. Much less of a chance.

They will NOT have to go through the whole trial again.

Yeah, I don;t think so.

My gosh, thank you! That's exactly right!

You are so right. BTW, I moseyed over to the jodi arias site once to see those people's reactions to a verdict (aggravators) in this case. That is a bunch of the most evil, deranged souls I have seen in a while. I had to shower afterward. Very mentally disturbed and scary people. Please let's not let them hijack this thread with responses to their illness.

Thanks Gitana! The voice of reason as always. A new jury will not have the time or opportunity to get sucked into the vortex of confusion that this defense case represented -- dragging on for three months as it did. I say it's all a matter of time for little Einstein.

No kidding. They are the ones who are really going to be fuming in a couple of days.

You know... if I were a juror and got off the case and started finding out all the stuff that I did not know I think I would be extremely pizzed...I mean, you want me to sit there and make a judgement call...then I feel like if you arent giving me all of the facts you are wasting my time and quite possibly making me feel like a fool in the end... JMO

I will give my two cents, knowing that there are other lawyers on this thread who practice criminal law and will correct me if I am wrong. But, this is what I see:

1. Jodi is on lock down, no interviews, while this drags on. That appears to be the same as if she is on death row. This could go on for an extended period due to the next phase.

2. Juan and his office (with input from the family) can offer a plea of life in prison if she gives up her appeals. This would be huge if accepted. Waiving appeals would get us farther than life would have gotten us today.

3. It may take a while, but I believe there are many, many people who are not familiar with this case. Not in that immediate area, but as many others have pointed out, some people have never heard of it.

4. This is not a win for the defense. Even if there is a plea bargain, this is no win for the defense. They are at the mercy of the prosecutors. Even if Wilmot and Nurmi get to leave, JA will be forced, with other lawyers, to move forward if the prosecution decides. I personally believe it would be harder to find a lawyer to accept her case than it would be to find a jury who would hear it.

5. God has a purpose. I know this. The Alexander family will need our prayers and our help, but there is a purpose here. I am so grateful that, whatever the deadlock, it didn't happen until now. THAT IS HUGE. I would much rather have a mistrial now than on any verdict prior to this. She is convicted. That part is done. That is a huge blessing. The same individuals who couldn't agree here could have held out then. That did not happen. Sometimes instead of looking at what has been taken away, we must remember what we have been given. What was given to the Alexanders is huge. They saw this through to her conviction. At this point, other decisions may need to be made. But, she is convicted and MOST IMPORTANTLY Travis' name has been cleared. There is no doubt about that and that is worth more than anything, even JA's death for her crime.

This jury has been a blessing. There is a purpose in this part as well. This will be alright and it will turn out for the greatest good - whatever that may be. I have no doubt there are angels watching over the Alexanders, on earth and in heaven. They are special people. Let us not forget them in our prayers in the months to come. Circle the wagons! - A Mormon pioneer saying :)

Thank you. Again.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I am going to ask again that folks try to not be so angry with the jury, or believe without any real evidence that someone lied on the voir dire.

THIS jury did 4 months of horrific service.
THIS jury found JA guilty of first degree murder.
THIS jury found aggravating circumstances.

Unless you've been in a jury room...unless you've been the one to hang a jury (and I have), you don't know what it takes to stand there and follow your conviction against 11 other people. To stand there, knowing that you would be the 'bad guy' forever and ever...and still go with what you honestly feel, what you honestly believe. I *have* been there...and while it was not a death penalty, it was still excruciatingly hard to do. And I don't regret doing it.

Please understand that until you've been there, in a jury room, and find yourself going against the grain...until you've had to stand there and listen for 4 days about what a horrible person you are for not going along with things; until you've been there, knowing each day that you have to drag yourself in and dammit all try to find the courage to stand there with your conviction...

Until you've been there, you don't know. It's not lying. It's not misconduct. It's the dammed jury system in all it's failings and glory.

I've done a lot of difficult things in my life. Serving on and then hanging a jury ranks up there as second only to enduring my father's death.

Please step back just a bit. I get the anger. I get the upset; but JA is still convicted. She is still in jail and will be for at least a very, very long time. And there is at least one juror out there tonight who is devastated that they couldn't go against their conviction and find that JA deserved the death penalty.

To that juror(s), I say thank you. Thank you for having the moral courage to stand up and be true to yourself. I've been there, I know what it takes, and I know what you face now and for the rest of your life. Thank you for having the courage of your conviction. And while I may disagree with you on this case, I am proud that you were able to stand there and follow through with what you believed to be right.

This takes NOTHING away from the pain the Alexanders feel, and will feel. This post has nothing to do with them...I feel so horrible for them...and like I said, I disagree with how it came down. But I know what it takes...and I respect the person who stood there, knowing they would get death threats and disappoint everyone and who feels that pressure now and forever.

I'm out of this thread for now...I'm frustrated with folks who are so mad at the juror(s) and are calling them liars. I've been there.

Best-
Herding Cats

I am in no means angry with this jury. I wanted to see Jodi get the death penalty,but seeing that she didn't life without parole doesn't really sound like it is going to be so bad when she finally goes to prison. Hopefully she will suffer everyday and not get along with some of the prisoners and they will make her life miserable everyday. Sound's to me like prison is not going to be a picnic like the county jail. She won't be a celebrity there just another number. Thanx to this Jury Jodi got Murder 1 !!!

This outcome is all the more reason why DP should be taken off the table and life row (is that what we were calling it?) should be put in its place. If given the option between executing Jodi, or sentencing her to "death row" living conditions for the rest of her miserable life, I would give her the latter. Heaven help me but I want her to suffer. I don't think anybody would have a problem sending a killer to life row.

ITA, I think death is the easy way out....I would want her on Life Row, 23 hours a day....IMO that is far worse than being put to sleep....

Did anyone here the reporter on DD say that CM admitted to STILL be in love with TA/Unfreakinbelievable.

I think that reporter reporting to DD needs to check other interviews done by the CM. I'm sure Flores has been suffering through each and every one. ..as will Juan. hehehe

Thank you very much for saying this. I thought this was the case, but I was being made to feel otherwise.

I guess it's time for me to pack my bags and get out of here for a while.

Anyone who has been here from day one is entitled to their feelings of anger or grief or whatever else. We've spent 5 months listening and thinking and sharing and hoping together.

Isn't everyone entitled to their own way of grieving right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj