Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how this is a huge win for the DT. Their client has been convicted of first degree murder (a huge DT loss), and a verdict of especiallty cruel (another huge DT loss).

The penalty phase will go ahead with the same 2 options, life or death.

Their client will never get out of prison. That's a huge loss for the DT.

Can we please, please, please stop bashing the jury. Some of the talk about them is downright cruel. JA is a convicted murderer thanks to them.

I thought we were better than this.

Well, my frustration is that they couldnt reach a decision after convicting her in a 4 month trial. They gave it 14 hours or so. And then said, sorry done.

I am really puzzled. Guess they were just tired. I am sure the Alexander family is too. :(

WOW. Obviously there was at least one juror who lied on the juror questionnaire about being able to vote for the death penalty.

If JA isn't a candidate for the DP I don't know who would be?

From Sheriff Joe:

Joe Arpaio ‏@RealSheriffJoe 22 May Some of u r mad about the jodi arias interviews. Pls Understand: We can't step on her 1st amendment rights. We allowed them & now - no more.

So they can't step on her 1st amendment rights then, but now they can??

Watch for more JA interviews coming to a station near you. :sick:

I agree. The charge was to weigh mitigating factors v aggravating factors. Seriously? How is this not obvious?

As for sheriff Joe: just amazing, his spin.

It's like the world is topsy turvey and we are supposed to accept it.

Bringing over from the last thread...it's important:

Originally Posted by MsFacetious
Thank you jury for convicting this killer.

Thank you for finding it especially cruel.

Thank you for putting your lives on hold for MONTHS to try and get justice.

Thank you for not "settling" for Life in Prison.

Thank you.

I will NEVER serve on a jury.

Per Beth Karas:

Arias will remain at Estrella jail until her retrial on the penalty phase, currently scheduled for July 18. Jurors refused to speak to the media at the courthouse. #jodiarias

i was at the casey anthony hearing decision and was stunned. i must say i am double stunned at this. yet, she did get 1st degree murder. shes not going anywhere but jail. if the sherrif says no more interviews it takes away her movie star image she thinks she has. after swearing at the tv i have calmed down. a new jury will more than likely be people who will see the missing things the first jurors missed. i do believe anyone they get will already have an opinion on death or life. they could do this over and over and get stubborn jurors who will not budge on their belief/ that could be good or hung again. more than one person on that juror is feeling the pain of being the one who caused this . the travis family wanted it over . we all did. we know she got murder one and the rest will follow, i do not know why this happened this way .i believe it must have a reason but god knows i will question gods reason. too sad- its not a verdict . maybe judge should decide and say forget the jurors. travis family need prayers. how much more can they handle? may god bless them

Let me see if I can even pose a question....is it not gonna be extremely hard to get any jurors that can say they have not heard of this case? I am just sick.

They'll find a jury. I only have one friend and one relative who have ever heard of this trial.

Even in Arizona....lots of people may have heard of he case but don't know details like we do.

Donavan said family is upset because they were told there'd be no verdict today?
What?

Donovan is an idiot obviously. Nobody would know if there would be a verdict today or not so for the big D to say what she did proves she's a stupid liar at best.

And the reason JA was crying before the non-verdict was announced is because her family couldn't be bothered to show up in court today for this. Looks good on her, that psychopathic murderer didn't have one family member or one friend show up today to hear this verdict. :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Noticing the huge drop in users here right now.

But we are still here :seeya::seeya::seeya:
I think some of us might have needed to disconnect, to take in a bit of silence. I can't blame them. I just want to be around the people whose posts I've been following for the past five months, and whose posts I will continue to follow until we see this through to the end. Silence will come tonight when I'm trying to fall asleep, right now I want some optimism and hope.

Alexander family needs to file the civil suit, pronto!

All I'm hearing is how HUGE of a win this is for JW and Nurmi. How sickening.

Not if all it does is postpone the DP.

I wish we knew how it was split. I think even if we didn't find out who voted which way it would explain a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

No, and she won't be retried. The new jury will consider only the "death v. life" question--they will be instructed to accept the verdicts of premeditated 1st degree murder and cruelty.

I thought (see my previous comments) that a new jury would not be personally "attached" to the prior verdicts and therefore would be likely to vote for life, but my law partner directed me to a recent AZ Republic article:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/articles/20130522arizona-juries-that-couldnt-decide-on-death-penalty-prog.html.

Apparently this situation has come up 5 times in Maricopa County. In 4 of the cases, the state asked for a new jury (rather than just asking for a life sentence). In 3 out of those 4 cases, the new jury gave death. In the other case, the second jury was also hung, so the defendant got life.

ETA: One caveat. Although the retrial will "only" concern the penalty phase, don't expect it to go as quickly next time. The new jury will have to hear a lot more evidence than this one, because (1) mitigation evidence was presented during the guilt phase to the old jury, including evidence of mental disorders, and (2) it is impossible to balance mitigating evidence against aggravating evidence and the nature of the crime without knowing the aggravating evidence and the nature of the crime first.

Thanks to AzLawyer, a little hope. :)

If the cell she is in now is worse than the regular prison she may end up in, I'm glad there is an extension. Either way it goes, her amount of time served will not factor into her sentence.
If this cell is as bad as the death row one would be, I hope she stays there for a long time.

I don't see how this is a huge win for the DT. Their client has been convicted of first degree murder (a huge DT loss), and a verdict of especiallty cruel (another huge DT loss).

The penalty phase will go ahead with the same 2 options, life or death.

Their client will never get out of prison. That's a huge loss for the DT.

Nah, I disagree, I thought from go that their greatest hope was keeping her off death row. They can now say she didn't go down on their watch.

I would sure like to know what CKJA and JW were whispering to each other while the judge was thanking the jury. Whatever it was, it was so rude to whisper to each other while the judge was speaking...

Let me see if I can even pose a question....is it not gonna be extremely hard to get any jurors that can say they have not heard of this case? I am just sick.

You don't have to find jurors (in any trial) that haven't heard about the case, just need jurors that can set any opinions they may have formed aside.

John Gilliland ‏@AZRadioNewsGuy 35m
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery says he intends to retry the #JodiArias penalty phase

Levi Page ‏@Levi_Page 13m
That nut job Donovan Bering tweeting for #JodiArias is on @NancyGraceHLN whining she wasn't allowed in court. STFU you convicted felon.

Please give JM the strength to continue...no settling. Can not happen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966