Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But she was the ONLY mitigation witness. It makes no sense to me. :scared:

It could be as simple as this was her first offense or they took pity on her mother, father, grandmother.

You know what .. I think once a jury agrees on aggravation that the only choices left should be LWOP or DP .. I don't get why it's the same options for sentencing if the crime meets the aggravators or not .. that just doesn't seem right.

Absolutely agree. It makes no sense at all that in a DP case, where the aggravating factors are unanimously met by 12 jurors that the Judge could be able to sentence the defendant with the possibility of parole. It should be either LWOP or the DP.

Another factor that is somewhat unique to AZ is the requirement of having a second chance at the penalty phase. If this hung jury had been in many other states, the sentence would be given by the Judge as LWOP. And it would be over.

MOO

Random thought.....

Did I read earlier here that the cells at the jail (or was it Perryville?) were covered in cockroaches?

Can you imagine being trapped in a cage with cockroaches crawling around? OMG!

Don't give Jodi any ideas. (Remember her love of spiders?) Her new mitigating factor might be that she is going to start a cockroach farm in her cell saving the species from extinction. :facepalm:

The 4 jurors may really regret their decisions if they get a look at the murderer's press tour. I know I would be beating myself up if I was one who wouldn't/couldn't vote for the DP.

I believe that she felt slighted that they didn't come to a unanimous verdict, like she isn't important enough. If she'd gotten death, she could have wallowed publicly in her martyrdom. And if she'd gotten life, she could have basked in the "love" they showed her. This way, she hasn't really come out seeming very interesting. Now she'll just have to wait around at Estrella, try to remember what her last version of everything was, and face a jury who probably has her number already. I think she's much more likely to get a unanimous death sentence the second time around.

Tht's what I originally thought too, but did you hear there were 4 holdouts? Don't know if this is confirmed or not...but that number seems high to me.

Wow so there were FOUR holdouts???? Oh my. FIrst of all, where did HLN get this information from? Secondly, that does not sound good for purposes of retrying. Getting about 4 people to change their minds would not be easy, I can see why they gave up. I am so glad the 8 held firm though.

I honestly thought there was just one. I cannot imagine a scenario where 4 people found the mitigating factors to be substantial enough. Hmmm...I really don't think it's a slam-dunk for the next trial...it will be very very difficult to get death at this point, IMO.

There very well could have been way more LWOP jurors that switched over. I can't wait to hear all the numbers, like where they were on the first poll etc.

The scariest part is with the "life" sentence the Judge decides if it is with or without parole.

Was so hoping this Jury would have gotten justice for Travis, and helped to end their nightmare. And as you said, JA would be gone away, forever.

I really do believe the judge would give her life without parole. And do it with pleasure.

In all the JA interviews on her recent publicity tour when asked what she would do differently, she never said, "I would not kill Travis".

I'm not that worried. I've gotten the impression that the judge thinks she is guilty and would have no problem imposing LWOP for Jodi.
Fortunately, the jury already decided JA was guilty of first-degree premeditated murder and the especially cruel aggravator, so the Judge isn't concerned about guilt. Given the outcomes of the first two verdicts, I have no doubt that Judge Stephens would sentence her to LWOP and NOT LOOK BACK.

Where is Elle Elle tonight!?

ETA - Never mind! I see you Elle Elle!:seeya:

How disappointing for the TA family. I just got home and I haven't read this thread. I truly hope there isn't any jury bashing. These people devoted almost five months to this trial.

Although we all want peace and closure for the Alexander family we need to remember that is not the goal of the jury. They have to make a decision they can live with. This jury has done the right thing, they convicted the monster of first degree murder.

I hope if CKJA's mother writes a book it will be in the $2.00 book pile after no copies are sold. I won't even enter a book store that would sell that book and "you can mark my words on that."

Maybe it's going to be a travel book about the Grand Canyon.

But she was the ONLY mitigation witness. It makes no sense to me. :scared:

It certainly would have been more understandable if her family had begged for her life. However, her presentation to the Jury had convinced me she had sealed her fate...

Unfortunately, I was wrong. Now I am very curious if it was the men or women who sympathized with her, or both?

1) Will Nurmi/Willmott be allowed to remove themselves for the next phase?

2) Will the Alexander Family give new victim impact statements?

3) Will Jodi testify or address the new jury?

Oh me too! What was it her hair, recycling dreams, t **** or parents who were not even there....the instructions were clear.....

I can't wait till they see all her BS, she was all armed up to kill again and even announced to Ryan everyone is safe unless they cross her.....jeez...

I can't wait for them to see her say they betrayed her.

Hopefully, next time there will be no talk of "mental health" issues, which are distinctly different then an Axis 1 mental health issue. The entire time they were discussing BOD, it completely frustrated me that they didn't differentiate the difference between Axis 1 and Axis 2 dx. Personality disorders are typically not treatable and MOST are just not a mental issue....but a personality characteristic. That is such a major distinction. But whatever. I'm weary, and I just want this case to be over for the Alexander family. I have no investment in LWOP (which I am certain would the sentence of JSS), or of the DP (A bit harder for me to wrap my heart around).

Aileen Wournos was dx'd with BPD and probably another "disorder"...and I believe JA is also
BPD as part of a cluster of personality disorders....and I have doubt she would kill again. No.doubt.whatsoever. I have no idea how JM tries only the penalty phase again....but I hope he can now anticipate any move HA may make...or at least address the fact that is willing and capable of making any damn move necessary to manipulate the outcome.

In restrospect, I think the defense harping on NO PRIOR CONVICTIONS played a big part in this. I really think this was a big deal for the defense. They played up that she was such a "good girl" before she met Travis, and then SOMETHING happened, they kept saying over and over. Well, issue I have with that is that this TRIAL WAS ABOUT TRAVIS" MURDER...so a lot of stuff about her life history would probably be inadmissable. So I don't think the jurors got a full feel of her propensity for violence her whole life. Also, MOST OF HER PSYCHOPATHIC WAYS ARE ONLY KNOWN BY HER FAMILY, who I'm sure shut up after their first interviews. So I don't get how the jury can hold that up as a big deal...b/c if they knew that the judge WON"T ALLOW MOST OF THAT STUFF IN???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member