Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As difficult as it is to say this, I trusted this jury to do the right thing. They're human. They have feelings. They react to what they see and hear. If some on the jury believed that Travis was mentally and verbally abusive to Jodi, it is their opinion and must be respected. I'm not going to criticize or fault this jury because they did what they were supposed to do. They were conscientious, diligent, intelligent, and extremely patient. They followed the Judge's instructions when rendering the three verdicts.

We were all very pleased with the jury's first two verdicts because that is what we wanted. Third verdict, not so much because most here wanted Jodi to be sentenced to death. Eight members of the jury agreed, but four of them didn't. It was their decision, and I respect them for doing what they believed best given all of the evidence and testimony that they saw and heard. Some will learn more about Jodi in the coming weeks if they choose to watch or listen to media coverage and total rehash of the case. They might feel differently when they have all of the facts, but their final verdict has been rendered, and this chapter of the Jodi Arias saga has concluded. :moo:

Well said as always, Bette.

This jury is a joke. Simple. How does this jury sit on one of the longest trials in history, agree on M1 AND cruelty which essentially opens up the doors for DP - and they can't agree? 8 to 4?

Don't come in here saying that we should respect the jury and that they've done a great job. They didn't. What they did was extend this trial another 8 weeks and NOT give closure to the Alexander's.

Don't say you are dp qualified then second guess sentencing Jodi to death if you feel bad that she's too young or it's her first crime, or whatever lame and insufficient excuse those 4 juror's made. Travis' life was taken in the most brutal way.. and you come back hung jury?

I'm done with this trial. I'm glad it'll be off for 8 weeks or however long. This is exactly what is disgusting with our justice system. The DP/LWOP should be majority vote, because if the juror's decision comes down to personal beliefs on sentencing someone to death.. you're pretty much SOL.

:rocker: I totally agree !

BBM: I no longer respect them ... HOW can you come back with 1st Degree Pre-Meditated Murder, 7 for Felony Murder, Extreme Cruelty, and NOT follow the law for the DP ?

JA's mitigation factors were a joke -- and NOT one person spoke on her behalf ...

No doubt the 4 voted their "emotions" and did NOT follow the law ...

MOO MOO MOO ...

ITA. Abuse is the buzzword.
JMO I think it might have been quite hard to steer the jury in another direction when the foreman had such views. It takes patience and openness to continue an authentic dialog, discussion. I don't think they deliberated enough, but as bits and pieces come out, I see why they gave up.

Bingo. Totally agree. If the foreman wasnt going to play ball, what chance was there that the jury would be anything but hung? Now the deadlock after one hour thing makes incredible sense.

Good luck to this guy. I hope he feels he explained this to the best of his ability since he chose to go on camera with his version.

I'm really behind on this thread, so I'm sure I've missed something. But this really concerns me. What I don't understand, is that this was a death qualified jury. If the one didn't believe in the DP, why wasn't she kicked off and replaced with an alternate. I mean, isn't it perjury when she claimed that she could vote for the death penalty, when she knew she didn't believe in it?

Sorry to quote myself but I realize now there was not one, but four hold outs. So this quote is N/A.

I wonder if one of the questions the jury submitted was something like " If we can't reach a consensus should those of us who want the DP change our vote to LWOP"?

So if I understand it correctly according to jury instructions, they are not supposed to change their vote just so they can have a 12/12 vote for DP or LWOP. They are to vote what they truly believe is the appropriate sentence given all of the evidence, etc..

So they could not all agree. For what reasons, though, the same evidence, the same trial, the same defendant was seen by all. What else, Emotions, sympathy? Yet those are not supposed to come into play either, IIRC. I guess this all confuses me.

Agree 1000%. AND the real evidence of the murderer's true character should be brought into the trial. This malarky that everything is "prejudicial" is patently absurd.

ITA, I said yesterday that a jury is supposed to be qualified to vote life or death but they are not qualified to be able to able to sort through all the evidence on thier own so it's done for them.....
It makes no sense what so ever and it's unfair.

During the closing remarks, JW kept emphasizing to the jury what "life" meant: that CMJA would be in prison forever and never released. That simply wasn't true and there was a skirmish about it.

I still do not understand this. has anybody ever asked on the lawyer thread this question. It does not make sense to me how they got away with that because its not true. If its life it goes to the judge to determine whether she gets life without parole or natural life with possibility of parole within 20 years. With the time served already in jail that would be subtracted.. That was very misleading.

I really would like an answer to that question and perhaps I should say question in the lawyer thread if it has not been asked al ready. I do not want to repeat a question in the lawyer thread if somebody here knows the answer . thanks.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

As difficult as it is to say this, I trusted this jury to do the right thing. They're human. They have feelings. They react to what they see and hear. If some on the jury believed that Travis was mentally and verbally abusive to Jodi, it is their opinion and must be respected. I'm not going to criticize or fault this jury because they did what they were supposed to do. They were conscientious, diligent, intelligent, and extremely patient. They followed the Judge's instructions when rendering the three verdicts.

We were all very pleased with the jury's first two verdicts because that is what we wanted. Third verdict, not so much because most here wanted Jodi to be sentenced to death. Eight members of the jury agreed, but four of them didn't. It was their decision, and I respect them for doing what they believed best given all of the evidence and testimony that they saw and heard. Some will learn more about Jodi in the coming weeks if they choose to watch or listen to media coverage and total rehash of the case. They might feel differently when they have all of the facts, but their final verdict has been rendered, and this chapter of the Jodi Arias saga has concluded. :moo:

I'm just a little shocked that any of them used THAT as their basis for saving her life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this foreman was #18 or #4?
Sorry, I probably missed it.

I also want to say I'm grateful I had you guys to vent and laugh with thus far into this trial.

Friends, does anyone have a link to the GMA interview with foreman. I'm just getting out of meeting and heard that he gave interview. What all did he say? Did he say they bought the pedophilia and physical abuse, or just the ugly words in that final message about you are the worst thing that ever happened to me? Did you get the impression how he voted? Thanks in advance.

I bet men all over America are thinking, my God, in a heated fight, I may have said some really choice words, but I wouldn't think they add up to mitigation for someone murdering another.

I still do not understand this. has anybody ever asked on the lawyer thread this question. It does not make sense to me how they got away with that because its not true. If its life it goes to the judge to determine whether she gets life without parole or natural life with possibility of parole within 20 years. With the time served already in jail that would be subtracted.. That was very misleading.

I really would like an answer to that question and perhaps I should say question in the lawyer thread if it has not been asked al ready. I do not want to repeat a question in the lawyer thread if somebody here knows the answer . thanks.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I was happy that JM was able to correct this mis-information for the jury!

I just listened to the jury foreman's interview on GMA and the two things that stood out to me were his difficulty in relating the brutality of the crime to JA herself AND his own certainty ("very sure...") that JA was mentally and verbally abused by Travis. Seems that being an attractive young female helps to avert the DP...

JMO ~

I guess not wanting to marry someone you slept with is mental cruelty in some folks eyes. Sarcasm. moo

Some will learn more about Jodi in the coming weeks if they choose to watch or listen to media coverage and total rehash of the case. They might feel differently when they have all of the facts, but their final verdict has been rendered, and this chapter of the Jodi Arias saga has concluded. :moo:

Snipped and BBM

THIS I have a problem with. Juries should be presented with all the facts. They should have been able to see all the police interviews and the media interviews etc. To make a decision based on some of the information is wrong IMO. Especially when these people do go home and find out what they were not allowed to see.

Well hell, I hope I don’t called for the new jury. I believe all the new jury has to be is impartial, well now, wait a minute, maybe I could be impartial, yeah of course I could. Obviously to be on a jury you don’t have to be honest, right???? Sure, I could be impartial!

I must be confused-the jury foreman voted for DP? I missed that if this was the case, because his interview makes even less sense to me.

I am sad to hear the jury foreman thought Jodi was abused. He didn't say what his vote was though. I suppose he said before the interview that he didn't want to go there.

Looks like in light of the foremans comments ALV has found her place... A new career as a hired gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the jury that walked away yesterday has the opportunity to get to know Jodi in the way we have, a way that was impossible during the trial. That should be a real eye opener!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn