Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #193

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
08/22/2024Order Issued
This case has generated substantial public interest and media attention. In light of this, and on the Court's own motion to ensure the integrity of the proceedings, to protect the Defendant's constitutional rights for due process, to ensure the safety of the parties and the public, and to permit public access to criminal proceedings, the Court sets forth the following rules and guidelines for the hearing set for Friday, August 23, 2024, in the Carroll Circuit Court. The Courthouse will open at 8:00 a.m. All entrances will be closed, except for the handicapped entrance on the north side of the building. The remaining entrances will be locked with no access to the public. All members of the public, including members of the media, are subject to screening by metal detectors. All bags in possession of those entering the building are subject to search. NO weapons of any kind are permitted in the building, except for on-duty law enforcement officers providing security to the Courthouse and the parties. Cellular telephones are permitted in the building, but must be powered OFF and unused at all times while in the building or the Courtrooms. Violations are subject to seizure and destruction of the cellular telephone. No electronic equipment or devices are permitted in the Carroll Circuit Court. The first portion of the hearing will be closed to the public and the media by agreement of counsel and the Court. The Court will declare a recess at the conclusion of the closed hearing. The Court will then reconvene in open court at the end of the recess. This portion of the hearing will be open to the public and the media. Media personnel are permitted to attend the Court session. NO cameras, electronics, lap tops or recording equipment of any kind is permitted in the Carroll Circuit Courtroom. The Court requests the media be mindful that other County offices are conducting business in the building unrelated to this case. Media and members of the public are ordered to conduct themselves in such a fashion as to limit disruption to the offices, personnel, and patrons of those offices. The Media are free to use the public areas outside the Courthouse as long as they do not obstruct traffic in the streets and sidewalks surrounding the Courthouse. Seating in the Carroll Circuit Court is limited. The first row of public seats behind the bar separating the well of the courtroom from the public is unavailable for seating. The Sheriff of Carroll County or his designee will ensure that the victim representatives and defendant's family are seated. The remaining seating is available until full. No one, other than Court Security, will be permitted to stand in the Courtroom. All spectators must remain seated until the conclusion of the hearings and the parties have left the Courtroom. No food or beverages are permitted inside the Carroll Circuit Court. Water will be permitted for the parties in the well of the Courtroom. All members of the public and the media are required to follow directives of the Sheriff of Carroll County, Courthouse Security and Courtroom Security. NO court-produced recording will be made available to the public or media. The audio record made pursuant to Indiana Criminal Rule 5 may not be copied or used for purposes other than perpetuating the record. The Court anticipates that all members of the public and the media will conduct themselves in an appropriate fashion. Any violation of this Order and any conduct the Court finds disruptive of the proceedings may result in an order of temporary or permanent exclusion from the Courtroom and/or Courthouse and is punishable as contempt of Court.
Judicial Officer:
Gull, Frances -SJ
Noticed:
McLeland, Nicholas Charles
Noticed:
Baldwin, Andrew Joseph
Noticed:
Rozzi, Bradley Anthony
Noticed:
Luttrull, James David JR
Noticed:
Diener, Stacey Lynn
Noticed:
Auger, Jennifer Jones
Order Signed:
08/22/2024

08/23/2024Status Hearing
Session:
08/23/2024 1:00 PM, Judicial Officer: Gull, Frances -SJ

CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. – Special Judge Fran Gull will preside over a two-part hearing in the Delphi murders case on Friday.

Richard Allen faces four counts of murder in connection with the February 2017 deaths of Abby Williams and Libby German near the Monon High Bridge. Indiana State Police announced his arrest in October 2022, more than five years after the girls’ deaths.

Friday’s hearing will be split into two parts. The first portion will be closed to the public, upon agreement by counsel, while the public, including media, will be able to observe the second portion.

According to an order from Gull, the court will call a recess when the closed portion is over and reconvene for the open session. No cameras are allowed in the courtroom and the use of electronic devices (laptops, cell phones, etc.) during the proceedings is strictly prohibited.

My respect for WANE just went in the toilet. What's that quote from Jurassic Park...They were too busy worrying about if they could and didn't think about if they should. That questionnaire should never have been published. MO
Does it really matter, though? The prospective jurors are going to see it anyway. "SM Agents" will be out in full force on both sides, I predict, getting their messages out there to that jury pool! (IMO) Now that I just typed that sentence, I actually agree with you that it shouldn't have been published.....because now all the "SM Agents" can hone in on their messaging more specifically.

IMO MOO

There is a picture/exhibit of a dog sitting on Richard Allen's lap in the official documents. I believe the state may have a match from that dog to animal hair found at the scene. Why else would that picture of RA with a dog be an exhibit?

I believe you are referring to a filing by the defense to have RA moved early April 2023. It is an exhibit to show the difference in his condition before he was incarcerated to after his incarceration.

Scroll down at link and you will see the side by side. Has nothing to do with dog hair.

What official documents? Could you provide a link?
I am looking for the link. I am pretty sure it was from a news channel. I downloaded a zip file titled "Delphi Docs". It contains 118 items.
That picture of RA and the dog was an exhibit.

However... when I seen some of these docs from another news source...

... that picture of RA with the dog may have been an exhibit from the defense to show what RA looked like before he declined i.e. Drooling pic.

I still believe the state has hair AND fibers that can be connected to RA.

My respect for WANE just went in the toilet. What's that quote from Jurassic Park...They were too busy worrying about if they could and didn't think about if they should. That questionnaire should never have been published. MO
Agree they shouldn't have published it in a news story before a trial a lot more people are exposed to news stories than internet crime sites. I fairly recently served on a criminal jury trial and there was a lot of reference to Social Media followings, etc. I don't find it unusual especially in a high profile case like this.

Something similar was done by phone survey (Defense) in the Idaho 4 case in a COV effort.

JMO

In My Opinion
They had good reason to change the goal posts. The judge's action which ended up in front of the Indiana Supreme Court set the trial back some months, which gave the P more time to collect discovery, which he has been lax on turning it over.
08C01-2210-MR-000001
An excerpt from the court record dated 8/16/2024 = a week ago.
...the Court will order the State to turn over Sergeant Cecil's report within ten (10) days of date of this order and that any new discovery be provided within seven (7) days of receipt. The Court further orders the parties to exchange a list of trial exhibits by October 1, 2024.
BBm
My understanding (supported by the article below) is that new Cellebrite technology just came out which would allow more information to be extracted from LG’s phone.
So this would be brand new discovery, not discovery withheld. IMO
Sergeant Cecil’s role was with cell phone extraction.
Terrifying new evidence on Delphi victim's last moments pins trial on phone

I believe you are referring to a filing by the defense to have RA moved early April 2023. It is an exhibit to show the difference in his condition before he was incarcerated to after his incarceration.

Scroll down at link and you will see the side by side. Has nothing to do with dog hair.

You are correct. I just replied explaining this.

I still believe the state has hairs and fibers that links RA to the crime.

There is a picture/exhibit of a dog sitting on Richard Allen's lap in the official documents. I believe the state may have a match from that dog to animal hair found at the scene. Why else would that picture of RA with a dog be an exhibit?
It was a photo op from the Defense. Of course RA lost weight while incarcerated and the warden testified the photo of him sitting in that chair in a dirty undershirt with his jumpsuit unbuttoned after coming directly from Rec time was NOT typical of how RA dressed. He was offered the opportunity to change before meeting with R&B and declined.

But hey, I'm waiting for the dancing bears and monkey plate spinners any minute now. We've seen everything else. :)

MOO

Richard Allen did a great job of acting like an innocent man during the October 2022 interrogations. When asked about being the man on the bridge, he denied it. He denied it is his voice on tape. He denied it was his gun (or only an unspent cartridge) that was used in the crime.

If he really did know that LE knew he was the killer, he did a really good job of playing innocent instead of just stopping questioning and asking for an attorney. Richard Allen did eventually stop the questioning, but only when he felt that he thought that maybe they thought that he might be the killer. He even said he was willing to give them his cell phone to check out before he felt like they were trying to point the finger at him for the Delphi murders.

Before Richard Allen confessed over 60 times to the crime, he did a really good job making it appear he was an innocent man.
You mean because he did what 99% of accused murderers do when being questioned by LE? Proclaim his innocence? and then when his denials were not believed request a lawyer?

You mean because he did what 99% of accused murderers do when being questioned by LE? Proclaim his innocence? and then when his denials were not believed request a lawyer?
RBBM
And is this not what any innocent person would do. What would you do?
Most of those that ARE guilty, will lie through their teeth. The difference being you can tell they are lying through their teeth! :) JMHO.

RBBM
Most of those that ARE guilty, will lie through their teeth. The difference being you can tell they are lying through their teeth! :) JMHO.
it is exactly what an innocent person would do. Which is why the guilty ones all do it JMO. My point is, his claiming innocence is not proof of anything, including but not limited to, his innocence or guilt.

BBm
My understanding (supported by the article below) is that new Cellebrite technology just came out which would allow more information to be extracted from LG’s phone.
So this would be brand new discovery, not discovery withheld. IMO
Sergeant Cecil’s role was with cell phone extraction.
IMO the judge is talking about an existing report, since she gave a specific time to turn it over. It makes no sense to me that she would give him a definite time for something he had no control over.
She also addresses any new discovery.

Posting this again from her order:
"...the Court will order the State to turn over Sergeant Cecil's report within ten (10) days of date of this order and that any new discovery be provided within seven (7) days of receipt."

Random observation: Even if the judge rules against the SODDI defense, it's "out there" now in the minds of potential jurors. I'm surprised the State agreed to all of that verbiage in the questionnaire.

IMO MOO

IMO the judge is talking about an existing report, since she gave a specific time to turn it over. It makes no sense to me that she would give him a definite time for something he had no control over.
She also addresses any new discovery.

Posting this again from her order:
"...the Court will order the State to turn over Sergeant Cecil's report within ten (10) days of date of this order and that any new discovery be provided within seven (7) days of receipt."
"But what was interesting was Cecil mentioning there's a new report coming out because phone data extraction techniques improve all the time, so you can keep going back to check for more information.

"He's working on that report now, so I imagine the difference is going to be that the defense will claim the phone was turned back on, and that's the only way the messages could've come through, and the prosecution will be saying it wasn't turned on, and this can happen for several reasons.

As to Cecil's report, state can't turn over what they've yet to receive themselves. As to judge and the order you quoted above. that's pretty standard IME. As the trial date looms closer, judge tightens up timelines for such things to ensure no last minute delays. JMO

RBBM
I play his scenario in my mind everytime this comes up. Going willingly, without an attorney, to an LE interview about a murder. His wife saying something like: Well yes, Rick has a blue jacket. Oh sure, Rick has lots of knives. Him saying: yes, I have guns and I've never let anyone use them.

Then I just think: "Oh dear, whatever were they thinking?" That always makes me wonder if they gave LE permission to search their home and/or property without a warrant.

All of this is my opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members