Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She gets no cable or internet --just a TV, when she gets to cockroach heaven.

I agree with all you said about her living conditions...but all that is still too good for her.

IMO it sounds like Groundhog Day in hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are discussing this on HLN now. I'm so glad to hear how this would go down. Is jury selection going to be before July 18th?
No, I think that's when it would get underway. They have a status conference on June 20th. A lot can happen between now and then.

Does anyone know what the count was yet? I guess it would have to be someone with court records...

Wow so there were FOUR holdouts???? Oh my. FIrst of all, where did HLN get this information from? Secondly, that does not sound good for purposes of retrying. Getting about 4 people to change their minds would not be easy, I can see why they gave up. I am so glad the 8 held firm though.

I honestly thought there was just one. I cannot imagine a scenario where 4 people found the mitigating factors to be substantial enough. Hmmm...I really don't think it's a slam-dunk for the next trial...it will be very very difficult to get death at this point, IMO.

You took all the words right out of my mouth as far as the shock at the breakdown!! I am so glad that the 8 held firm, although I'm sure it was hard for both sides to not give in.

I wonder how the 4 will feel once they see Monday night's interviews and all the tapes, interrogations and other evidence we've seen that was withheld from the jury?

I'm not so sure that they can't get a unanimous death verdict - it will be 12 different people and it depends what evidence comes in to the retrial - I can only hope for a different result next time.

It certainly would have been more understandable if her family had begged for her life. However, her presentation to the Jury had convinced me she had sealed her fate...

Unfortunately, I was wrong. Now I am very curious if it was the men or women who sympathized with her, or both?

I am wondering the same...

Imo, it will definitely not be Juan's personal decision. There's too much at stake financially and reputationally. If it really is an 8-4 split, I think they will offer LWOP and not re-try the penalty phase. jmo

Seems they would try to save the state some money and not retry this phase. Unless of course the state has money to spare.

[/B]

Tht's what I originally thought too, but did you hear there were 4 holdouts? Don't know if this is confirmed or not...but that number seems high to me.

exactly. that's a third of the jury!!

I really wish I could comprehend how they could all vote in the aggravation phase to proceed with the death penalty then not able to vote on it?
Why not stop there?

kpm - It's truly incomprehensible. When they came back @ end of aggravation phase I really thought it was a slam/dunk. The good news is that no matter what, she's been convicted of premeditated 1st degree murder & she'll spend many, MANY years in a horrible place.

Something just slammed me in the head. I was off on another site trying to order a comforter set and boom....

If you listen to the reading of the "verdict" it sounds like the foreman put the information in the wrong paper all together. The first time they were dead locked they informed the Judge properly on the proper piece of paper. This time what the court thought was a question turned into a Verdict but the woman reading it stumbled all over herself, like the paperwork was not meant to be read like that.

I think the Jury decided they were done with this, in a rush or maybe just exhaustion, put the dead lock in the verdict paper instead of the paper to inform the judge that once again they are dead locked. That is why everything is weird. We were told it was a question, then it turned into a verdict, it was chaos, then the Verdict was read like a child had scribbled in what should not be there.

I don't know maybe I am mumbling, don't mind me. It just didn't sound right all around.

:seeya: You are NOT mumbling -- I totally understand what you are saying.

Yes, when today's decision was read, the lady reading it stumbled a couple of times ...

And I was thinking earlier about yesterday's debacle : IF the word 'IF' was in that question that the jury submitted in that question to the judge. When I re-listened the re-play yestreday, I did NOT hear Judge say the word "IF" ... but some people say they heard it that way ... ?

What a mess that was yesterday ... and now today ...

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

My heart is broken for the Alexander family. I am thankful that this jury found her guilty of premeditated first degree murder, 7 added that is was a felony. But right now I am angry at the 4 hold outs for death.
Let me just say out front that I could never vote for the death penalty. It is just something about me that I realize I could not do. Saying that I firmly believe that the death penalty is warranted in many cases. This human butchering soulless creature certainly deserved the death penalty.
These jurors swore during jury selection that they could impose the death penalty. I think they took that question way to lightly. They NEVER should have said that if they were unsure.
If anything good comes from this, I hope that it is the lesson that you need to think long and hard about weather or not you could impose the death penalty before you say that you can. This has cost tax payers millions of dollars. And now millions more to come.
But worse than the money is the fact that now the Alexander family will have to sit through God knows how many more days of listening to this pathetic non human trash their brother again. They will have to see those horrible pictures of him in death. They will have to put their lives on hold again. They will have to sit in the same room with this monster again.
I am completely disgusted.

1) Will Nurmi/Willmott be allowed to remove themselves for the next phase?

2) Will the Alexander Family give new victim impact statements?

3) Will Jodi testify or address the new jury?
1. No
2. Yes, if they choose to
3. Yes

It could be as simple as this was her first offense or they took pity on her mother, father, grandmother.

Yeah and where were they touring the Grand Canyon and Donovan didn't disclose that to nancy grace.

No they are going to fight on ..

County Attorney Comments on Outcome in State v. Jodi Ann Arias

PHOENIX, AZ (May 23, 2013) – Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery released the following statement in response to the lack of a unanimous decision in the penalty phase of State v. Jodi Ann Arias:

“We appreciate the jury’s work in the guilt and aggravation phases of the trial and now we will assess, based upon available information, what the next steps will be. As of this point in time, the Court has set a Status Conference for June 20 and we will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase. Because, for purposes of a jury determination on punishment, this is still a pending matter, there will be no further comment.”

http://www.maricopacountyattorney.o...ney-Comments-on-Outcome-in-State-v-Arias.html

They're not going to announce their ultimate decision right now. They will maintain the retry position, maybe even on June 20. SOP, imo. Meaningless at this point, also imo.

[/b]

Tht's what I originally thought too, but did you hear there were 4 holdouts? Don't know if this is confirmed or not...but that number seems high to me.

Yes, but the new jurors will not only know much more about her, they will also not be subjected to her presence for so long that they get used to her being among the living. Also, Juan will know what things kept the "life" jurors from voting for death.
I'm not surprised there were four holdouts. Not that I think she doesn't deserve death, but I don't think a life sentence (LWOP) is outrageous either. Both are really, really unpleasant.
The thing that sticks in my craw is that she didn't have to go directly to the penitentiary today. That really bothers me the most.

Hopefully, next time there will be no talk of "mental health" issues, which are distinctly different then an Axis 1 mental health issue. The entire time they were discussing BOD, it completely frustrated me that they didn't differentiate the difference between Axis 1 and Axis 2 dx. Personality disorders are typically not treatable and MOST are just not a mental issue....but a personality characteristic. That is such a major distinction. But whatever. I'm weary, and I just want this case to be over for the Alexander family. I have no investment in LWOP (which I am certain would the sentence of JSS), or of the DP (A bit harder for me to wrap my heart around).

Aileen Wournos was dx'd with BPD and probably another "disorder"...and I believe JA is also
BPD as part of a cluster of personality disorders....and I have doubt she would kill again. No.doubt.whatsoever. I have no idea how JM tries only the penalty phase again....but I hope he can now anticipate any move HA may make...or at least address the fact that is willing and capable of making any damn move necessary to manipulate the outcome.

I think Juan needs to do some things differently:

1. Be harder on Jodi in mitigation.
2. Since he can't "erase" BPD now b/c it's already in the case records b/c of Demarte's paperwork so I think the defense will put it in to play up the "snapped" act they have......then I think Juan should use it to show that she could have the propensity for violence AGAIN. JUAN NEEDS TO SHOW THE JURY WHY THEY SHOULD PUT HER ON DEATH ROW. Play up fact that JSS could give life with parole, in which case she's could be out in about 20 years. And her BPD gives her some instability which means she could kill again.
3. Going with Juan needs to show Jury that she needs to be on Death Row, show her media interviews. Say, she need to be locked up in isolation, or look, she's gonna harass this family for years and years and they will never be able to get closure.

I really, really think that Juan needs to give them reasons WHY they should put her on death row instead of prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966