**Verdict Watch** 3-2-2012; deliberations started at 1016am

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense that the trial proceedings follow a typical work schedule (albeit a pretty lax 9:30-5 with 90 minute lunch government-job work schedule), but once the jury is handed the case and begins deliberations they should be willing to take longer hours and work weekends.

They are charged with a serious responsibility and should be focused on nothing else until verdict. Taking the weekend off should not be an option at this point in the trial.

The judge mentioned yesterday that working on Saturday was not an option due to some repair being done (HVAC?) at the courthouse.

Is that b/c of the Civil outcome? That would make sense. I'm glad. The one thing I'm worried JY may get is CY :maddening: I pray she is able to stay with MF and LF.

No, not related to civil at all. There is a bar to defendants profiting from a crime they were suspected, accused or convicted of. If he were to write a book, then all assets gained from that book, or interview, etc., would be seized and paid to the victims. In some states, they are paid directly to the victim or a victim fund, without ever going through the defendant. They're usually referred as "Profit from Crime" laws or "Son of Sam" laws.

For the time being, he's a free man and can go wherever he wants.

WRAL has a picture of JLY sitting at the table reading the newspaper as the jury deliberates. I couldn't help but wonder if it was a USA Today.
:angel:

No, not related to civil at all. There is a bar to defendants profiting from a crime they were suspected, accused or convicted of. If he were to write a book, then all assets gained from that book, or interview, etc., would be seized and paid to the victims. In some states, they are paid directly to the victim or a victim fund, without ever going through the defendant. They're usually referred as "Profit from Crime" laws or "Son of Sam" laws.

If he was found not guilt, could he be paid for a media interview? I'm wondering if all forms of storytelling are covered by the law, or only printed form.

Anyone want to give me a recap of deliberations, any questions from the jury, how many hours it's been? I;m in the middle of my own, intense DV trial. On a lunch break and though I'd try to catch up. Pray for my client (the victim). If we lose, this may be one we'll hear about on the news. A baby's life is on the line in my case, IMO.

But it's going well so far so I was able to think about this case for a moment. Hoping for justice.

It makes sense that the trial proceedings follow a typical work schedule (albeit a pretty lax 9:30-5 with 90 minute lunch government-job work schedule), but once the jury is handed the case and begins deliberations they should be willing to take longer hours and work weekends.

They are charged with a serious responsibility and should be focused on nothing else until verdict. Taking the weekend off should not be an option at this point in the trial.

I can see it both ways: wanting to keep at it and arrive at a verdict vs taking the weekend time to relieve the stress of serving on a jury in such a serious matter.

(I'd still like the verdict when they stop at 4:50 today though;))

If he was found not guilt, could he be paid for a media interview? I'm wondering if all forms of storytelling are covered by the law, or only printed form.

I don't know the full extent of the law in NC, but I do not believe he can be paid for an interview if the subject is the crime itself (and not his experience in jail, etc.)

I don't think there will be a verdict today now...I can't see them coming out with one within an hour before they asked to stop deliberating -- they may think it would come off as just trying to get it in there before leaving for the weekend...

I don't want to judge them but with them not having access on Saturday, and not wanting to start until 9:30, I was hoping they'd at least stay a couple hours - especially if they're going to sit in traffic anyway. :(

Maybe I'll be wrong and they won't care about the speculation..who knows. this is nervewracking.

Anyone want to give me a recap of deliberations, any questions from the jury, how many hours it's been? I;m in the middle of my own, intense DV trial. On a lunch break and though I'd try to catch up. Pray for my client (the victim). If we lose, this may be one we'll hear about on the news. A baby's life is on the line in my case, IMO.

But it's going well so far so I was able to think about this case for a moment. Hoping for justice.

They started deliberating at 10:15 am. Asked for a break at about 11. Then lunch from 1 - 2 and requested to be dismissed at 4:50 today. No questions yet from the jury.

Good luck with your trial!!

I think the shoes may be the biggest problem in the prosecution's case. They didn't really explain where the extra set of shoe prints came from. Although it can be theorized that the size 10's were used to throw off the investigation, there is no strong evidence to back that up. So the prosecution left this mystery hanging out there.

Meanwhile, a witness testified that she saw two people sitting in a car outside of the home. While the accuracy and truthfulness of her testimony can be debated, I wonder if some of the jury members might wonder if there's a link between those two people and the two different foot prints.

The thing is, without the perp(s) confessing and giving a play by play account (which can still be full of lies to make them look 'not so bad').....there's pretty much always gonna be things that are left hanging, unexplained or guessed at how/why they happened.

OT:

I have been watching the news about the horrific severe weather that is happening in Alabama, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and covering 17 states.

I am praying for all those who may find themselves in the path of these monster tornadoes.

I noticed that the red zone is very close to Raliegh too.

The stormchasers are saying some of these tornadoes are the largest they have ever seen.

Please be alert and safe.

Sorry for the off topic but things are very dangerous for a lot of states at this time.

IMO

My son and his family are in Cumberland County TN. I am very concerned and have been checking the weather there. Thanks for the update and prayers.

OT:

I have been watching the news about the horrific severe weather that is happening in Alabama, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and covering 17 states.

I am praying for all those who may find themselves in the path of these monster tornadoes.

I noticed that the red zone is very close to Raliegh too.

The stormchasers are saying some of these tornadoes are the largest they have ever seen.

Please be alert and safe.

Sorry for the off topic but things are very dangerous for a lot of states at this time.

IMO

Yep, I've been following the weather as well. It has been and still is horrific. Everyone stay alert in those affected areas. At least turn your TVs on so that you can catch any warnings issued. Stay safe.

WRAL has a picture of JLY sitting at the table reading the newspaper as the jury deliberates. I couldn't help but wonder if it was a USA Today.

LOL! Maybe we should buy a shirt similar to the one he lost, get him a USA Today and a cigar and have it delivered to the courtroom. :innocent:

Prayers to you and your client and all involved.

I can't find the wral link? I had it earlier then clicked on a story and couldn't find it again. On the right side of the top screen, it shows "completed' for JY trial and doesn't have a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie