**Verdict Watch** 3-2-2012; deliberations started at 1016am

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree! The detail bothered me a lot. Especially the part about "I know you have an appointment"... okay genius, if you know that why not try to reach her on her cell phone to wish her good luck with the OB appointment and say call me and tell me how that went. IME most expectant dads are very interested to hear what the OB says after each appointment.

I agree!! The call to the home phone was around 8:10 am and the appt was around 9 am but u have a child to take to daycare and then go to appt. Why would you not call the cell phone right after that call to the house?

OT:

I have been watching the news about the horrific severe weather that is happening in Alabama, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and covering 17 states.

I am praying for all those who may find themselves in the path of these monster tornadoes.

I noticed that the red zone is very close to Raliegh too.

The stormchasers are saying some of these tornadoes are the largest they have ever seen.

Please be alert and safe.

Sorry for the off topic but things are very dangerous for a lot of states at this time.

IMO

I'm in Indiana, and when I heard this a.m. we were on tornado watch (or warning - I get them confused), my first thought was oh, shoot. I hope my wifi works in the cellar in case there's a verdict!

My son and his family are in Cumberland County TN. I am very concerned and have been checking the weather there. Thanks for the update and prayers.

Oh Mck ........I hope they are safe.

I am worried too. We have a daughter and her family that lives in the NE part of Georgia and another daughter and her family who lives in Charleston.

They are trying to keep me abreast of how it is up there but their cell phones keep cutting out.

They are now saying that 19 tornadoes are on the ground.

My prayers and thoughts are with everyone who is in the path of these massive tornadoes.

IMO

Anyone want to give me a recap of deliberations, any questions from the jury, how many hours it's been? I;m in the middle of my own, intense DV trial. On a lunch break and though I'd try to catch up. Pray for my client (the victim). If we lose, this may be one we'll hear about on the news. A baby's life is on the line in my case, IMO.

But it's going well so far so I was able to think about this case for a moment. Hoping for justice.

:please:

Gitana, you give so much-certainly to those of us who rely on you here. It is only fair that you receive a measure of that back. I know those kinds of cases. My prayers are all yours.

The tornadoes today are eerily similar to the tornadoes on April 16 last year during the end of the BC trial. Hoping for less devastation this time around.

No, not related to civil at all. There is a bar to defendants profiting from a crime they were suspected, accused or convicted of. If he were to write a book, then all assets gained from that book, or interview, etc., would be seized and paid to the victims. In some states, they are paid directly to the victim or a victim fund, without ever going through the defendant. They're usually referred as "Profit from Crime" laws or "Son of Sam" laws.

That's interesting. I was looking up just the other day if NC had a son of sam law and all I could find is that NC was one of the few states that never enacted one. Maybe the publications I was looking at were old and out dated.

the below link is one of the sites I looked at

http://www.freedomforum.org/packages/first/SonOfSam/index.htm#NorthCarolina

I find it peculiar that someone that is found not guilty would be prevented from profits from book, movie, etc. Wonder what the reasoning is behind that and if that has ever been challenged? If they are found not guilty, seems like this type of law would violate their rights.

IMO

I'm in Indiana, and when I heard this a.m. we were on tornado watch (or warning - I get them confused), my first thought was oh, shoot. I hope my wifi works in the cellar in case there's a verdict!

LOL!

But seriously when there is a watch it means the conditions are favorable but when it says WARNING!! that means you need to run to the cellar.

IMO

That's interesting. I was looking up just the other day if NC had a son of sam law and all I could find is that NC was one of the few states that never enacted one. Maybe the publications I was looking at were old and out dated.

the below link is one of the sites I looked at

http://www.freedomforum.org/packages/first/SonOfSam/index.htm#NorthCarolina

I find it peculiar that someone that is found not guilty would be prevented from profits from book, movie, etc. Wonder what the reasoning is behind that and if that has ever been challenged? If they are found not guilty, seems like this type of law would violate their rights.

IMO

Agreed. I don't know the current state of the law, but I do know that when I was still doing criminal defense, we told all of our clients they could not profit from book sales because of that law. I think it just keeps people from profiting from another's misfortune.

OT:

I have been watching the news about the horrific severe weather that is happening in Alabama, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and covering 17 states.

I am praying for all those who may find themselves in the path of these monster tornadoes.

The stormchasers are saying some of these tornadoes are the largest they have ever seen.

Sorry for the off topic but things are very dangerous for a lot of states at this time.

IMO
Thanks so much for your concern. I'm sitting here in the middle of Birmingham, Alabama and am keeping a close watch out. We've been plagued with tornadoes the last year and there have been many lives and much property lost. Of course, I'm too concerned with the other places that are suffering with inclement weather today. But I understand we must have weather, whether or not!

OT:

IMO

Here in Ohio we are under a TW till 9pm.... Really scary...

No, not related to civil at all. There is a bar to defendants profiting from a crime they were suspected, accused or convicted of. If he were to write a book, then all assets gained from that book, or interview, etc., would be seized and paid to the victims. In some states, they are paid directly to the victim or a victim fund, without ever going through the defendant. They're usually referred as "Profit from Crime" laws or "Son of Sam" laws.

Hmmmm. Why is it then that Casey Anthony is shopping her iterview/movie deal? How is she exempt from this? I thought that law only applied to those convicted of the crime. If found NG, they were free to write about their ordeal and profit from it. I would love some clarification if anyone out there has any input. Thx!

The tornadoes today are eerily similar to the tornadoes on April 16 last year during the end of the BC trial. Hoping for less devastation this time around.

Yes...I remember Apr 16 very well. My house got hit. Would not wish that on anyone. Everyone stay safe.

Hmmmm. Why is it then that Casey Anthony is shopping her iterview/movie deal? How is she exempt from this? I thought that law only applied to those convicted of the crime. If found NG, they were free to write about their ordeal and profit from it. I would love some clarification if anyone out there has any input. Thx!

Hence why OJ had to pull his "If I Did It" book. I do know the laws very by state, so I don't know the details of the Casey Anthony decision. And when republished, all the proceeds went to the families of the victims.

Usually in NC, they are worked into the terms of a plea bargain.

I hope the jury pays very close attention to the instructions when it comes to direct evidence and circumstancial evidence. I also hope if they are unclear of the instructions that they ask the Judge for clarification.

I was on a criminal case as a juror and the understanding of the instructions was very unclear to a few of my peers. Which I understand because I myself had to read it a few times. But we must have spent hours and hours getting 2 people to understand that we *had* to follow the instructions no matter how we felt about them or if we liked them or not.

Moo. Moo. Moo.

Where do bad folks go when they die
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
Go to a lake of fire and fry
See them again 'till the Fourth of July

~Nirvana

I hope all of you in these watch & warning areas are taking cautions and listening to your local weather reports. They showed the huge tornado in Indiana a bit ago on HLN... frightening!!! All of you stay safe!!! We're out of the watches & warnings now, only high sustained winds with gusts now... thinking about going out and smoking a cigar :)

But instead i'll sit here and continue reading the search warrants and patiently awaiting any jury questions and/or verdicts. Our plans to see the Lorax were squashed... little 6 year old had a meltdown and turns out he's running a fever :( In bed & resting.

If anyone wants to read the warrants, here's the link...
http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wtvd/youngwarrants.pdf

I'm confused with this post. Can you elaborate? Here's what you were quoting:

"Under the law of this State, for a person to be guilty of a crime, it is not necessary that he personally do all of the acts necessary to commit that crime. If two or more persons join together with a common purpose to commit first degree murder, and each is actually present when that crime is committed, then each would be responsible for the acts committed by the other in the perpetration of that crime."

Since the above says (and maybe I am misreading it!) if you are a conspirator with someone to commit murder, and even if you aren't there when murder takes place, you can still be punished the same.

And you said you thought JY could be involved with the murder, but NOT the actual murderer why wouldn't you be G instead of NG?

"and each is actually present"

According to the jury instructions - I would have to be convinced JY was present when the murder took place to find him G.

I am convinced he drove back to Birchleaf.
I am convinced he walked through the crime scene.
I am convinced he had accomplice(s).
I am not convinced he was present during the murder.

They started deliberating at 10:15 am. Asked for a break at about 11. Then lunch from 1 - 2 and requested to be dismissed at 4:50 today. No questions yet from the jury.

Good luck with your trial!!

Maybe they need the freedom they now have as opposed to the 4 weeks they spent in their 'mental cells' since this trial began. However, I am not thinking the time today could have possibly been spent doing anything very intense. They requested to leave 10 minutes (or more) early why....to beat the 5 o'clock traffic? And that request came so early in the day it leaves me to think they are planning to superficially get a few things done today--how many Gs vs NGs, etc. and essentially start bearing down first thing Monday morning. Of course, I hope I'm wrong and they return at 4:45 this afternoon with a G verdict.

The thing is, without the perp(s) confessing and giving a play by play account (which can still be full of lies to make them look 'not so bad').....there's pretty much always gonna be things that are left hanging, unexplained or guessed at how/why they happened.

Agreed...but it's also part of why I think there will always be reasonable doubt in this case.

The problem in this trial is that there are so many unanswered questions. I haven't kept up with this case since the beginning(watched part of the first trial) and I have tons of questions that were not answered or were only partially answered.

It's one thing to speculate as a person out here on the internets, but if I were a juror I would have to conclude that too many unanswered questions = reasonable doubt.

I could also see this jury looking at the hush puppy prints and convicting based on that(like the Brad Cooper jury used the google map search and some other testimony that was key to them.) I think they will need proof, not just coincidences, to convict...but there are things such as the shoe prints that I could see them using as proof that JY was there.

No idea what the verdict will be other than 99% sure it won't be 2nd degree murder. If they do vote 2nd degree murder I am 99% sure they will NOT talk about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo