**Verdict Watch** 3-2-2012; deliberations started at 1016am

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent point. There is no way these jurors will be capable of of remembering, balancing and drawing conclusions from all of the evidence and testimony the way many posters here can.

Instead, there will likely be one, two or several pieces of evidence (or testimony) they focus on. Those pieces may or may not be the ones which NG or G in this forum hold to be "key". That's been my observation of jurys in post-verdict interviews/articles.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

One of our wonderful posters was able to chat it up with a Cooper juror last year and I think it's on here somewhere. They basically focused on a few items (including the smoking gun google map I had issues with) and the overall lack of anyone else with any sort of motive,means,opportunity or evidence of.

I agree with all the above. It's a lot of information to take in all day, and evidence and testimony can get ridiculously technical and complicated, not to mention mind numbing and boring. All the forensics, computer tech, etc. Then add in the legalese they need to grasp at the end and I can see how overwhelmed any juror might feel.

This man did not love his wife, wanted out, did not want to pay or be bothered ever with her again! When you look at everything and all the bad luck he had, cameras, shoes, eye witness at gas station, could not produce clothes the night of murder, cigar, give me a break, he is the only one that wanted her dead, gone. He knew to shut up until after he learned what evidence the state had and that's when he worked on his story. JY is so devious and totally 1st degree murder. JY was the only one that did this to her, no one else.

I will not be shocked if it comes back NG or hung. There are so many confusing pieces of evidence (look how many posters here, including myself, have had to ask clarification about the shoes, the palm print, CY's diaper, gas mileage/distance, eyewitness confusion, etc.). Many WS'ers have been on this case since it happened and have had YEARS to dissect it, understand it, and obsess over it. These jurors haven't.

To me, all doubt was removed after learning of jy's actions at the HI. I hope the jury, or at least some, followed exactly how these events unfolded. Sometimes, even if things are spelled out, people tend to throw doubt at something if it's not clear, or complicated... This is my biggest concern with juries today.
JMO

CP,
no (but prosecution played it in their CIC)

Thank you. I watched the prosecution's case and re-watched JY's testimony (even though it was really hard to stomach). I absolutely believe he should have taken the stand again. I know the jury can't hold his not testifying in this trial against him but some inconsistencies with his story were pointed out and I think this jury deserved an explanation of those, from JY's own mouth.

Ah well...

MOO

The problem for me all along has been the trip timeline and gas.
6) If he makes trip in 2.5 hours, JY had 1 hour to strangle and beat MY to death, tear apart closets, throw around ebay and progress papers, grab jewelry, put CY in bathroom, probably get dog out of the way, change clothes, bag all dirty items, clean CY, drug CY, tie up loose ends at scene, and discard dirty clothes somewhere between Raleigh & Hillsville.

But that timeline (and the one HP shoeprint) makes sense if there was an accomplice(s) who committed the actual murder, and JY showed up briefly after the murder, and left soon after (15/20 min). That would add 45 minutes to the total drive time and bring the drive speed down close to 55 mph. That there is no proof JY made any cash purchases of gas doesn't exclude that he did or that he had some gas stashed but it wasn't enough.

The problem for me all along has been the trip timeline and gas.

DT did an excellent job of breaking down the math and making it easy for a juror to understand IMO.

1) To believe he made the trip from Raleigh to Hillsville to Raleigh to King JY would of had to get way better than 20 mpg or have to run tank to empty (22.5 gallons) to get his normal 20mpg avg.

2) There is no record of him getting gas after the King visit (theory), so he would of had to get 30 + mpg to make it to the gas station he actually stopped at later that morning.

3) He would have risked being caught on numerous traffic cameras on I40.

4) He would have risked stealing gas in King.

5) He would have had to average 65mph (risk speeding in portions of trip) to make the trip in around 2.5 hours.

6) If he makes trip in 2.5 hours, JY had 1 hour to strangle and beat MY to death, tear apart closets, throw around ebay and progress papers, grab jewelry, put CY in bathroom, probably get dog out of the way, change clothes, bag all dirty items, clean CY, drug CY, tie up loose ends at scene, and discard dirty clothes somewhere between Raleigh & Hillsville.

Combine all this with the fact that LE has NEVER been able to find a corroborating witness from King gas station (even though there was supposedly a regular customer present that witnessed the entire scene) and it adds loads of doubt.

Keep in mind that the trip from Raleigh to the Hampton Inn is virtually ALL FREEWAY. Average miles per gallon was not the right measurement to use (although, I see why they did use it), as this wasn't an "average" trip - this trip as 98% freeway. The fuel efficiency driving the freeway is much better than just average - it would have been at the maximum fuel efficiency. You can go 20 miles on the freeway and your "miles to empty tank" is only reduced 10 miles in that distance.

Hopefully, the jurors are smart enough to realize that "average" miles per gallon was not the right measure. Certainly, if there are any engineers on the jury, they will know this.

Good Morning Everyone!

I am on pins and needles this morning but I do not feel as uncertain as I did yesterday.

True......there are some gaps in the State's case but I think the jurors will find the links they need to come to a verdict.

CE case are like a thick twined rope. Just because some of the fibers may not be all that strong and ravel doesnt mean that the overall rope isnt in tact and strong. Not every piece of CE is going to be important.

As for the jurors being overwhelmed. It is my experience from being a juror five times and a Jury Foreperson twice that jurors methodically delve in putting the evidence together. They know they have an important job to do. I never felt overwhelmed and on one case it was a four week trial with a lot of evidence to be gone through and considered.

I am hoping that the jury will have unity and work well together with the Foreman giving each person a chance to bring forth what they think are the most important issues. Discussion and deliberation by all is the key and showing respect to each juror. If that happens they will work hard together to come to a just verdict based on the evidence entered by both sides.

IMO

Does anyone know the background of the jury?

There are 8 women and 4 men. Other than that, I do not know. Some of the in person spectators may be able to answer more than that.

Just a reminder, in at least some past trials WRAL's video stream has not covered courtroom events during deliberations. They didn't come back until verdict. ABC11 provided full coverage of juror questions and requests for exhibits.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/livenow?id=8323913

Keep in mind that the trip from Raleigh to the Hampton Inn is virtually ALL FREEWAY - 98%. Average miles per gallon was not the right measurement to use (although, I see why they did use it), as this wasn't an "average" trip - this trip as 98% freeway. The fuel efficiency is much better than just average.

Hopefully, the jurors are smart enough to realize that "average" miles per gallon was not the right measure. Certainly, if there are any engineers on the jury, they will know this.

I don't follow your logic. Certainly highway mpg is better than city, but the numbers still don't add up. I'm actually quite impressed with the 20mpg. I once owned a 2005 Explorer and never averaged close to that. I agree with you though, I hope there are smart people on jury.

Does anyone know the background of the jury?

I found this dja:

It took attorneys 12 days – about seven days longer than in the first trial – to seat eight women and four men on the jury, as well as two men and two women as alternate jurors.

Last week, Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens dismissed a male juror after concerns that he was posting on a message board about the case.

Stephens dismissed a second juror on Tuesday after someone allegedly heard him talking about the case at a Garner restaurant.
http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/10676540/

Who CARES if he had condoms in his friggin luggage!?!?!?! :waitasec:

(2nd part of State Closings).

For me that one's easy: the wife he claims (or at least claimed in his previous testimony) to have loved sooooooooooooo much. She would have cared about the condoms. And Michelle Money. And the email to the prior fiancee. And Carol Ann......And the list goes on.

He was NOT the loving husband he tried to portray himself as. Putting the keepsake he said he'd keep forever or whatever he said in her casket was sort of like saying 'good riddance' to his marriage. jmt

This man did not love his wife, wanted out, did not want to pay or be bothered ever with her again! When you look at everything and all the bad luck he had, cameras, shoes, eye witness at gas station, could not produce clothes the night of murder, cigar, give me a break, he is the only one that wanted her dead, gone. He knew to shut up until after he learned what evidence the state had and that's when he worked on his story. JY is so devious and totally 1st degree murder. JY was the only one that did this to her, no one else.

Yes,I agree with you. But will our justice system lend itself into having 12 people find him guilty? Because a reasonable person would see this, but the jury instructions, evidence rules, etc. can really have an impact against common sense and the BIG picture. Per the Pinellas 12.

:please:

Just caught up on the last thread......why not go listen to the PT closing to hear what he said about the gas/mileage issue rather than commenting on it without knowing what was said?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx