verdict watch 5/8/2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of people are hung up on the CA trial but I keep thinking about Mary Winkler.

She shoots her sleeping husband in the back then claims sexual abuse because he made her wear hooker shoes and a hoochie momma wig. AND THE JURY BOUGHT IT!!!

Scary.

Me, too! IMO, the outcome will NOT be the same, but I have seen so many aspects of this case the defense has drawn from it.
There's A LOT of other cases they've taken bits and pieces from.

Passing the time wisely:
So, today is official "Online Shopping Therapy Day" for me....started bright and early and it's working so far.
Also, cleaning out some new with tags things in my closet and am puttin on EBay....make $$, spend $$....that's rational thinking...no???
Too bad I'll be spending far more than I make...LOL
My "mantra"...free returns...free returns....free returns......

Is it terrible that I took just a small shot of whiskey to calm my nerves today since I am at work? If it is then I was j/k LMAO!

It's OK as long as your not performing open heart surgery, or a transplant of some sort. :floorlaugh:

I can't even watch it anymore and I was one of those who couldn't get enough trial talk. But it's just too much. They're saying the same things over and over and over, speculating about the deliberations when they really have NO CLUE what's going on in there. None of us do.

So, I've started catching up on other shows that I've been neglecting and I've been cleaning my house like a madwoman to make up for the four months that I did nothing. :)

What drives me crazy is the hype when it's clear they are just taking a break and going outside for a smoke or something.

Even discussion about the food...

I made myself too productive yesterday working while verdict watching...now I don't have much to do...Luckily I am in a small office and I can make myself look busy LOL...I just want the verdict before Friday b/c that is when I run payroll!

Good Morning Everyone! Let's hope and pray that today is the day that we will get justice for Travis.

I had this terrible dream last night that the jury had asked for the entire testimony of Alice LaViolette to be read back! Took me a few minutes to recover my senses after I awoke. ;)

On a more serious note, I think the more time that goes by, the more I am convinced we're not likely to see a first degree murder conviction. As much as I'd like the jury to see the evidence the way I do, I think they're hung up on a couple of things that Juan (whom I love and adore, BTW) could have hit harder in rebuttal and closing. To me, the "loose ends" are:

1 - I wish the prosecution had brought Chris Hughes to the stand on rebuttal to provide context for the e-mail that ALV 'interpreted' so selectively for the jury. Not only would it have redeemed the damage it did to TA, but it would have reinforced the idea that Jodi was a wacko and that TA's friends didn't trust her and were actively working to "rescue" him from her.

2 - I wish JM had spent more time arguing alternative murder scenarios and not wedded himself to one, emphasizing to the jury that it doesn't matter which weapon came first in the attack, and that they don't need to figure out what happened in that hallway -- only to conclude that the end result, TA's death, was part of Jodi's plan. In that regard, I wish he'd hammered more on the point that the evidence tells us that Jodi brought BOTH deadly weapons with her (TA owned a gun and at least one bullet, but no other ammo? No gun cleaning items or accessories? Ridiculous. No knife in the house was known to be missing, and none in the house matched his wounds). Even if she hadn't brought them with her, the amount of overkill and the fact that she didn't utilize the many opportunities to "escape" completely negates the idea of self-defense. As such, it doesn't matter which weapon she planned to, or did, use first. The plan and the result are still there, established beyond a reasonable doubt -- hence, premeditation.

3 - I wish JM had engaged in a more lengthy discussion to the effect that, "mistakes and messes don't negate premeditation." I have seen intelligent and thoughtful comments from people on this board, who are conversant with all of the evidence, who get hung up on this idea that "Jodi did a shoddy clean-up job, so it couldn't have been premeditated." A plan doesn't have to be fool-proof. It doesn't have to get carried out as intended. A killer doesn't have to do a "good job" in order to be guilty of murder 1. JM could have suggested that her original plan WAS for a "clean kill" in the shower that wouldn't have required a clean-up. Not only that, but Jodi actually DID do an incredibly good job of cleaning up, given the short time frame she had to work with. She spent hours in that house, had sex in at least 2 different locations and brutally slaughtered someone, and the only evidence she left behind was a couple of hairs, a single handprint, and a couple of partial footprints from shoes that can't be located/traced to her? (As for the camera -- I don't think she meant to throw it in the washer, and even if she did, it was a reasonable presumption that deleted photos from a camera washed in bleach were not going to be recoverable!!!) Seriously, not bad. O.J. left 100x more D.N.A. and physical evidence behind, and he was still acquitted.

I don't know what's going on in the jury room any more than anyone else, but I suspect that if they're hung up on some issues, these are likely suspects.

all excellent issues. one of the issues i wish Juan had addressed is the question that keeps coming up by the THs: if she wanted to kill him why didn't she just shoot him right away when she got there.

I made a BIG OLE batch of my FAMOUS Chocolate Chip Cookies last night and I imagine I will get through bout half of them by this afternoon stressing out over this verdict! I just put in the Sirloin Tip Roast for Beef Manhattan's tonight for dinner. We are having Beef Manhattans, Mashed Potato's, Green Beans from our garden (Last Years I put up) and home made yeast rolls I have proofing right now. Might even make a Home Made Sugar Cream Pie today! I swear I'm gonna gain 50 pounds eating my way through this Verdict! I hope it comes soon or else I'm not going to EVER fit into any of my Summer Clothes!

JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS!!!

Lawdy me, what time should we all be over? That sounds divine! I'm about to google Beef Manhattans!

Good morning, friends :) I've promised myself to just breathe and chill today. Not to get worked up about "we're on hour this or that", or what type of message the jurors are sending through apples and sodas. I trusted them from pretty much the first questions they asked, especially of JA, so we have an intelligent jury that doesn't want to mess this up by zooming through it. I trust them now.

I'm going to write my son a positive letter, get my butt out of the house for a bit, and, when I start getting that cranky "whaddyamean no verdict yet" feeling, I'm going to take some big, deep, healing breaths for the Alexanders. They need them much more than I do right now, you know?

:grouphug: Loves!

If I was the foreman we'd have a whiteboard and two columns. One that says "evidence that deals with the premeditation/felony murder factor" and the other that says "distracting bullpoop".

One column would get significantly longer than the other. And then we'd toss that long column and focus on the short one.

Perhaps they are separating the wheat from the chaff so they can have meaningful discussion. There was a heck of a lot of chaff.

BBM: :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Yep ... so much of the past 4 months was a WASTE ... a HUGE WASTE ...

And I sure hope the jury realizes it !

:moo:

You know, you may miss Mark if you're doing that. You should think about it. ;)

Mark's on Twitter and you can also find his TV segments on YouTube. That way you don't have to filter out the crud to find him.

What about mush do you like Mush? I know everyone makes it different but my G'ma was from Nebraska and she used to take Cream o Wheat....make up a saucepan and then she would put it in a large shallow bowl; like a pie pan. She would refrigerate it over night and then the next day she would slice it in pie shapes and fry them in butter. Then you put sugar and butter on the finished piece. Nutmeg or cinnamon. I crave it still sometimes. I've tried to make it for my husband but he just doesn't get it. The outsides are slightly browned and the inside is mushy.
Does anyone else have a Mush recipe? It's really good, kind of like rice cereal, where you take rice and heat it up with milk cinnamon and sugar, and eat it like hot cereal. it's just as good as mush actually.

Real Mush is made with cornmeal. In PA we call it Cornmeal Mush. Once its cooked you can either eat it as a hot cereal or chill it in a loaf pan. The next AM, you slice it up, dust it very lightly with flour and pan fry it. Serve it with table molasses or syrup. YUM. There are a bunch of recipes online for PA Dutch Fried Mush :)

What drives me crazy is the hype when it's clear they are just taking a break and going outside for a smoke or something.

Even discussion about the food...

Jean Casarez gazes intently into the camera, and with a steely fixed gaze intones "The jurors are returning with apples!"

That will remain a highlight of this coverage for me. :floorlaugh:

Creeeepy. I can also imagine pages of practiced "Mrs. Travis Victor Alexander," signatures.

That just reminded me of a movie I watched over the weekend. The girl was just like JA and wrote in her diary since HS. She was involved with a man that got married and broke it off with her. His wife ended up dead and she went on trial. When her lawyer looked at her diary all of the pages said Mrs John John Smith (or whatever). So weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allihounds