DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 14m 14 minutes ago

Morning break is over. The jury resumes deliberations. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 41m 41 minutes ago

Jury taking the morning break. No word of a verdict. #Magnotta

"SIMPLY OVERWHELMING":

He made 16 separate trips to the basement garbage room of his low-rent Montreal apartment building, he took out Lin's torso in a suitcase to the street, he ran countless errands and cleared out his apartment and never, not once, did he forget to take care of his own appetites: He ordered in a pizza; he booked a flight to Paris; he primped and checked out his *advertiser censored* in the mirror in the building lobby.

http://www.leaderpost.com/health/Magnotta+jury+must+sort+muddle/10672476/story.html

I was just watching an episode of The Fall & Gillian Anderson was speaking about a case she worked where the man was found guilty of murder/rape & makes the comment: "It was obvious he was guilty. He was seen on camera bringing a brand new suitcase into the building and several hours later, dragging out of the lobby. Clearly weighed down by the torso" (not verbatim but you get my drift).

LM told the reporter what his plans were. He shopped the video rumours around before he even made a video! How many other killers found NCR had the presence of mind to kill & mutilate someone not only on film but to edit the footage into a movie? I have only read of maybe 4/5 cases where the acts were recorded. Never distributed, unless you include snuff films which are usually not done by one person alone.

These are just my thoughts, still getting used to the forum. Hope I didn't go offtopic or upset anyone!

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 1h 1 hour ago

Jury taking lunch break. They have not reached a verdict yet. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 10m 10 minutes ago

Lunch break over. Jury back deliberating. #Magnotta

Did we ever get a make-up of this jury? Men to women. Occupations?

"Jurors heard endless earnest testimony about psychosis, schizophrenia, psychotic breaks, hallucinations, delusions, command voices. The effect was to obfuscate and confuse. Prosecutor Louis Bouthillier did a magnificent job in his closing argument to remind the jurors of the fundamental simplicity of the case, as did his expert witness Dr. Gilles Chamberland, but it may have been too little, too late.

[...] But neither should NCR be used as a way out for those who are clearly not normal – i.e., Mr. Magnotta – but whose illness doesn’t preclude them from appreciating and knowing the wrongfulness of their acts (i.e., Mr. Magnotta). For NCR to be used as a Hail Mary pass in cases where there’s no other defence diminishes the genuine cases."

^ Pretty good article, I thought, on why the jurors may be taking so long. Full version here: Magnotta jurors likely baffled by too much ‘expert’ testimony

I believe the Crown made a crucial error when they allowed that simple "yes" answer to the question that the jury had about personality disorders being considered "a disease of the mind" or "mental illness". They needed much more clarification about the difference between personality orders and schizophrenia.

Once again, this is a classic example of why these NCR cases need to be taken out of the hands of a layman jury.

MOO

Did we ever get a make-up of this jury? Men to women. Occupations?
"Five more jurors were added Thursday, meaning the jury currently has six men and six women. The last two additions of the day were a male retiree who worked as a financial analyst and a woman who works in a call centre. Earlier on Thursday, three other jurors were selected: a female university employee, a male freelance translator and a man who teaches at a junior college."

[Source]

Eight women and four men altogether according to later articles, though I'm not sure if they stated their occupations as well.

THE JURY AND SOME OCCUPATIONS:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Jury+selection+complete+Magnotta+trial/10218649/story.html

......six men and six women, with jobs ranging from a CEGEP professor to a maintenance man, will spend several weeks getting to know each other and every detail of the case that made international headlines.

The final choices of back-ups — three women and one man — were made Friday and included a translator, geologist, a woman who works in the office of a butcher shop and a chartered accountant

I thought jurists were changed or pulled after the testimony? I thought this change was very recent. JMO

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 3m 3 minutes ago

Afternoon break over. Jury is continuing deliberations. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD · 30m 30 minutes ago

Afternoon break for the jury with no verdict in sight. #Magnotta

Hi, I don't normally have time to post, but having just read this...

"The jurors may decide Magnotta was “more likely than not” in a state of psychosis when he killed Lin. If that’s the case, their job is complete, for the judge told them a not-criminally-responsible verdict on murder must carry to the four other charges Magnotta faces."

and this..

"Dismissing a not-criminally-responsible verdict means the jury will have to render unanimous verdicts for all five charges, beginning with first-degree murder then moving on to the charges committing an indignity to a human body, publishing obscene material, criminally harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament, and finally, mailing obscene and indecent material."

then I think the longer they are deliberating, the more likely it is he will be found guilty, not NCR, as they have 5 separate charges to unanimously agree on, which is going to take a lot more time to do.

Hopefully, anyway.

Hi, I don't normally have time to post, but having just read this...

"The jurors may decide Magnotta was “more likely than not” in a state of psychosis when he killed Lin. If that’s the case, their job is complete, for the judge told them a not-criminally-responsible verdict on murder must carry to the four other charges Magnotta faces."

and this..

"Dismissing a not-criminally-responsible verdict means the jury will have to render unanimous verdicts for all five charges, beginning with first-degree murder then moving on to the charges committing an indignity to a human body, publishing obscene material, criminally harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament, and finally, mailing obscene and indecent material."

then I think the longer they are deliberating, the more likely it is he will be found guilty, not NCR, as they have 5 separate charges to unanimously agree on, which is going to take a lot more time to do.

Hopefully, anyway.

The thing is, if they decide against NCR, the other charges are a slam dunk as he admitted to them and offered no other defence.

HMMM....
Perhaps they're pulling a Leclair and wasting some time? ;)

salimah shivji ‏@salimah_shivji 2m2 minutes ago
#Magnotta jurors make $160/day. If they deliberate on Dec 25, 26, it goes up to 320$/day, tax free (via @chridesjardins who read fine print)

(eta)

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue 9m9 minutes ago
So far each juror has earned $1280 tax free during these deliberations. #Magnotta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member