DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One Dorito? Oh, the pain.

Lol! Yes, just one.

bbqd_chip1_yummy.jpg

Hi all,

Long time reader but first time poster on this thread though I do see some familiar names from the Oscar Pistorius threads and ironically it was OP who first led me to JA. Anyway, there's been lots of interesting reading here over the past weeks and food for thought so I thought I'd take advantage of this 'quiet time' to pose a question.

Does anyone know why Death Row prisoners are treated so differently to those in maximum security? I can only assume it is based on some idea of protecting the general prison population but that only makes sense up to a point - depending on what happens in the coming days Arias could be either, but she will remain the same person wherever she is housed. Is it that they feel DR prisoners have nothing to lose so can be unpredictable? Again, that only makes sense to a point as people sentenced to LWOP also have little other than privileges to lose and I am sure there are prisoners in the general population just as dangerous as anyone on DR. Basically, I cannot see any logical reason for them to have no contact with anyone, less visits, less privileges and so on and am intrigued as to what is the reasoning underlying these policies. TIA for any thoughts on this.

I agree. As long as she is never let out of prison I don't mind if she has access to some basic beauty items and even some snacks. She'll still be living in a tiny little cell for the rest of her life. Now, some European prisons I've seen look more like hotels and that's just not right.

I think she will suffer even if she has some funds and some status. She will be among a small percentage never getting out. She will live to watch friends celebrating with 'getting out' parties and walking through the gate to freedom she will never cross, and as popular as she becomes she will not be universally liked, she will have enemies as well as friends, and be the recipient of resentment as well as admiration. She will make the best of her environment, but it will never be anything else but the best of a bad situation, for the rest of her life.

Hi all,

Long time reader but first time poster on this thread though I do see some familiar names from the Oscar Pistorius threads and ironically it was OP who first led me to JA. Anyway, there's been lots of interesting reading here over the past weeks and food for thought so I thought I'd take advantage of this 'quiet time' to pose a question.

Does anyone know why Death Row prisoners are treated so differently to those in maximum security? I can only assume it is based on some idea of protecting the general prison population but that only makes sense up to a point - depending on what happens in the coming days Arias could be either, but she will remain the same person wherever she is housed. Is it that they feel DR prisoners have nothing to lose so can be unpredictable? Again, that only makes sense to a point as people sentenced to LWOP also have little other than privileges to lose and I am sure there are prisoners in the general population just as dangerous as anyone on DR. Basically, I cannot see any logical reason for them to have no contact with anyone, less visits, less privileges and so on and am intrigued as to what is the reasoning underlying these policies. TIA for any thoughts on this.

Well, my thoughts on it is that they've been sentenced to "Death" and therefore the moment that verdict is fact - their rights to life seize to exist in some way. If they were allowed to interact like the other prisoners do, have more visits and freedom they would still be enjoying "life" privileges.

Probably didn't word that right but I hope you understand what I mean.

Here is my view regarding Jodi's perks in jail. I don't care what she is able to buy through the jail commissary but before that's allowed she should be made to pay for her daily up keep first.
Cost for her cell & food (Like one would do if we had a dog in kennel). The only other thing is
maybe she should be able to buy some reading material (come on she's human??). JMO

Well, my thoughts on it is that they've been sentenced to "Death" and therefore the moment that verdict is fact - their rights to life seize to exist in some way. If they were allowed to interact like the other prisoners do, have more visits and freedom they would still be enjoying "life" privileges.

I agree, and I also don't think the original intention of 'death row' was as the long term housing unit its become. It was originally a 'waiting area' until the sentence was carried out, which was once a lot sooner than it now is (or isn't).

I was watching a documentary of a child murderer. And the mother got the judge to add something unique to the sentence of the killer; he had to hang a picture of his victim in his cell forever. I thought that was fitting. In Jodi's case, maybe DrDeMarte, Det. Flores, the Alexanders and Juan Martinez can all take a group shot.

Here are the things that she should have (IMO) and I am not being as harsh I want to be:

Death Row. Solitary confinement for the rest of her life. A couple of hours of visits/calls with friends/family every week. A little bit of shower and exercise time every week. Access to a boring library. Basic beauty supplies--it's very hot there and lotions/chapsticks are more like necessities. Prison food. A few extra commissary snacks are okay. And, of course, a last meal--anything she wants! :giggle:

Thanks for that and yes, I think I get what you mean. Though I have no sympathy for Arias and find no redeeming qualities whatsoever in her, I don't feel 100% comfortable in imposing a type of 'living death' on people but it is what it is and guilty people on DR are fairly low on my list of what needs fixing in this world. It is all quite arbitrary though isn't it - depending as it does on the decision those 12 people make in the coming days which in turn will likely set the course of the rest of her life. Thanks again for the reply.

I was watching a documentary of a child murderer. And the mother got the judge to add something unique to the sentence of the killer; he had to hang a picture of his victim in his cell forever. I thought that was fitting. In Jodi's case, maybe DrDeMarte, Det. Flores, the Alexanders and Juan Martinez can all take a group shot.

while eating a cinnabon and a strawberry frappe

Thanks for that and yes, I think I get what you mean. Though I have no sympathy for Arias and find no redeeming qualities whatsoever in her, I don't feel 100% comfortable in imposing a type of 'living death' on people but it is what it is and guilty people on DR are fairly low on my list of what needs fixing in this world. It is all quite arbitrary though isn't it - depending as it does on the decision those 12 people make in the coming days which in turn will likely set the course of the rest of her life. Thanks again for the reply.

Yeah. You're right. I'm not fully anti-DP anymore (I used to think killing killers really doesn't say much about us as society. But it's not that black and white is it?) But most people on deathrow have done some heinous crimes though so it is hard to feel sorry for them. I'm a documentary junkie and I was surprised to find out that a lot of them have pen pals and stuff like that. Some have a little TV. That doesn't really take away the severity of the punishment of living on DR of course... But the moment I find myself having a tad bit of sympathy, I think about their victims and it goes away. Some people DESERVE to live such a bare living death existence.

I understand what you mean though. However, I'm more inclined to feel sorry for those with life sentences for non violent offenses. I really think that the US criminal systems needs to reconsider those type of punishments..

(No thanks needed.)

I think she conned them all and she is not mentally impaired at all. Though she knew it was her best shot. It is easy to manipulate a psychiatrist. I'll bet she studied up in prison awaiting her Dr,'s visits and practicing her answers to their questions. It's obviously a manipulator, but that is not a disorder, it is vanity, and Jodi is the most vain person I have ever witnessed in my life. Will stop at nothing to get attention and save her own skin. And yes, I believe she love this trial attention too. any attention is good attention. even a murder trial.

Most people with BPD are more self-destructive than inclined to murder. Their partners suffer because they are emotionally volatile, contradictory, unpredictable, and with poor impulse control particularly with regard to self-destructive habits. I don't doubt Dr. DeMartes diagnosis, but I think Arias' actions arose more out of sociopathy than BPD. The facts of the case match a calculated intention to kill, as supported by the premeditation evidence. In light of her sociopathy, I would say she was not obsessed with Travis, she was obsessed with what he could do for her, how marrying him would benefit her. There is a subtle but important difference. Her mother cried in the interrogation room about how her daughter could act so normal and happy, and this behavior was immediately after the murder. That does not indicate any kind of deep emotional bond, however broken, it indicates the cold emotional isolation of a sociopath, in which only their own life and emotions are real and have any value. To posit obsession with Travis into that void would be to give Travis reality as a human being in her psyche that could not exist. He was a thing to be used by her, and when he was no longer viable, and had actually become dangerous, she eliminated him, and was as normal after as if she had just taken out the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiKi_T