VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morn all! I slept in!!!! It's a miracle. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I am still not renewed and refreshed, but give me 20 minutes and I'll get there!

Streaming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJg9wBPyKMNA5sRDnvzmkdg
Twitter (consolidated): https://twitter.com/hardtruth4real/lists/jodi-arias-trial-live

tumblr_mnul2zIXAG1r1aluoo1_500.jpg
Well, I couldn't tear myself away, so I called in under the 'whether' (whether they'll reach a verdict today, and whether she'll get Life or Death. Luckily I wasn't essential today, and since I've been following this case for years I figured I deserved it).

Are we really surprised the jury might be heading towards a hung jury? You can't get 12 people in a room to agree with anything. Even where to go for lunch. Juries should be set up where a majority of jurors rule or DP case rulings should be decided by judges.

The US Supreme Court ruled in 2002 that only juries can sentence to death. Judges cannot.

http://www.infoplease.com/cig/supreme-court/must-jury-decide-death-penalty.html

Voted by Bader Ginsburg, Kennedy, Souter, Scalia, Stevens, and Thomas. Souter and Stevens have retired, but I doubt Sotomayor or Kagen would want to overturn a ruling that's less than 13 years old.

in re Steve 44, hit wrong reply tab: sweet! glad your here . I am so lucky in that I can manipulate my schedule when needed. I was supposed to be working so if this doesn't happen by at least tomorrow I will lose my s**t.

They are at "an impass", and the judge told them to go back and try again. I think they will finally come back today with a sentence of LWOP, to avoid the possibility of the judge sentencing CMJA to life with the possibility of parole (but I don't believe the judge is likely to do that). IMHO, this is what happens today

unless i have missed something here that is not their mandate...it is DP or life and the judge decides the rest.

The tweeters are getting an early start today:

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 50s51 seconds ago

Hoping this jury can come to a decision and not be hung. We will see. It all starts at 9:30am MST. See you there #jodiarias #3tvarias

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq 4m4 minutes ago

#JodiArias Jury deadlocked. Hopelessly? We will know soon. GoldPatrol Update #JodiArias deadlock?: http://youtu.be/Pp0ftgzr_7I

Katie Conner ‏@KatieJConner 5m5 minutes ago

Do you think we will get verdict today for #JodiArias? Abc15 will have team coverage today to keep you updated! #TravisAlexander

In the last thread someone commented about Martinez's response to Nurmi's "will you kill this girl?" -- what was his response?

He showed the same pics of Jodi juxtaposed with the autopsy pics of the wounds to the back and the slit throat of Travis saying "this girl did this"

The tweeters are getting an early start today:

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 50s51 seconds ago

Hoping this jury can come to a decision and not be hung. We will see. It all starts at 9:30am MST. See you there #jodiarias #3tvarias

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq 4m4 minutes ago

#JodiArias Jury deadlocked. Hopelessly? We will know soon. GoldPatrol Update #JodiArias deadlock?: http://youtu.be/Pp0ftgzr_7I

Katie Conner ‏@KatieJConner 5m5 minutes ago

Do you think we will get verdict today for #JodiArias? Abc15 will have team coverage today to keep you updated! #TravisAlexander

Those commited few bloggers who have been there day in and day out since day 1 of first trial probably couldn't sleep well either last night.

Why 9:30? What is wrong with 8am?

Today is my 5th anniversary as a member of Websleuths. I believe that today will be the day that the jury renders their verdict. DH has always thought that the retrial will hang like the first, but I'm holding on to hope that they will reach a unanimous verdict.

I really think they should revise having to be unanimous for the DP. I just think a majority would work better & perhaps when given the DP actually mean it. Not sit around for 20 plus years and die of old age before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btw, will this be your next trial watch? will be mine.

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq 3m3 minutes ago

"@wsls: Different views of #BostonBombing suspect to be given at trial. http://10.wsls.com/1B6g2uw "

I'm really hoping that today is the day. I do feel that the DP us warranted in this case but just want it over. It does bother me that Jodi may see life as a win but I'll get over it quickly. I want so badly for the Alexanders to find peace and am afraid they won't, especially Steven. For whatever reason, he worries me the most. He just seems so fragile. I want to give him so many hugs.

I, also, did not sleep one wink last night. I'm totally exhausted but am not leaving the computer today. I cannot even imagine how tired and worn out the family is. Amazing how attached we get just from a forum. So glad to have found this home. And yes, I think today is it.

The Verdict Pool
(which in no way is meant to disrespectfully make sport of this serious matter.)

3/4/2015kaRN
3/4/2015Alisha8191
3/4/2015ICit
3/4/2015mugwump*
3/4/2015TXredhead178
3/4/2015Mosby
3/4/2015Destiny617
3/4/2015Buttercup117
3/5/2015Dmacky
3/5/2015Luvrosco
3/5/2015Sweet Fox
3/5/2015Zuri
3/5/2015Paintr
3/5/2015Paintr
3/5/2015nachomama
3/5/2015in search of
3/6/2015WhoaIsMe
3/6/2015amster
3/6/2015ljwf22
3/6/2015Jaykayelle
3/6/2015Sweet Fox

The US Supreme Court ruled in 2002 that only juries can sentence to death. Judges cannot.

http://www.infoplease.com/cig/supreme-court/must-jury-decide-death-penalty.html

Voted by Bader Ginsburg, Kennedy, Souter, Scalia, Stevens, and Thomas. Souter and Stevens have retired, but I doubt Sotomayor or Kagen would want to overturn a ruling that's less than 13 years old.

That to me is a huge flaw in our justice system. Why not allow the person who knows ALL the evidence (even what wasn't brought before the jury) to make the ultimate decision?

everything i have heard about her sentencing history indicates very tough...for me it would be unconscionable to give any possibility of getting out given what this judge knows about the crime and this criminal. She also has had a ring side seat to how this defendant has "played" the court and that cannot be ignored. I am fairly confident she will do the right thing but she will make us (and more importantly the family) wait for the sentence.

I really hope she doesn't make the family wait. The last thing the family needs to hear about is victim compensation. That can come at another time. jmo

I believe today will be the day.

I walk 1 to 1 1/2 hours everyday, so I'm off for my daily exercise. It's a beautiful day today, nice weather.

Coming back later with a clear head and hopefully a end to this madness!

in re Steve 44, hit wrong reply tab: sweet! glad your here . I am so lucky in that I can manipulate my schedule when needed. I was supposed to be working so if this doesn't happen by at least tomorrow I will lose my s**t.
Thanks! :happydance: and I really don't think they'll stay at an impasse for days and days. IMO it's this week, one way or another.

The Verdict Pool
(which in no way is meant to disrespectfully make sport of this serious matter.)

3/4/2015kaRN
3/4/2015Alisha8191
3/4/2015ICit
3/4/2015mugwump*
3/4/2015TXredhead178
3/4/2015Mosby
3/4/2015Destiny617
3/4/2015Buttercup117
3/5/2015Dmacky
3/5/2015Luvrosco
3/5/2015Sweet Fox
3/5/2015Zuri
3/5/2015Paintr
3/5/2015Paintr
3/5/2015nachomama
3/5/2015in search of
3/6/2015WhoaIsMe
3/6/2015amster
3/6/2015ljwf22
3/6/2015Jaykayelle
3/6/2015Sweet Fox

...and to think, I didn't want to do it for fear of jinxing the verdict.

That to me is a huge flaw in our justice system. Why not allow the person who knows ALL the evidence (even what wasn't brought before the jury) to make the ultimate decision?

Because for the ultimate punishment they need to be judged by a jury of their peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper