VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish JSS would take note;

“You know what the Founding Fathers said about the trials and being open: They ought to be held in front of as many people as would choose to attend,” said U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley, of Iowa.

For the last 13 years Grassley has been filing “sunshine in the courtroom” bills in the Senate. He’s the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee and wants cameras in courtrooms. Significantly, he’s in line to become chairman if the Democrats lose the Senate in November.

Grassley likes to quote a certain Supreme Court ruling. Grassley said, “Quote: ‘A trial is a public event. And what transpires in a courtroom is public property.’ ” Unquote, and therefore: “It’s going to be more public property if it’s televised.”

http://www.wbur.org/2014/06/04/cameras-federal-courtroom

----
Think about those that seek transparency in our justice system the next time you're in the voting booth.

I am not interested in inflicting pain or death on anyone...I just want the criminal justice system to remove from society, those who DO inflict pain or death on others. Those people are likely not to suffer remorse, because they are incapable of it. No amount of psych therapy will cure that, in my opinion. If part of my tax dollars pay for warehousing them, so be it. Just keep them out of my face. JMO

Lady Justice

I have done some deep thinking about why I continue to watch trials and hope for the right verdict, justice.

I think about Lady Justice being blindfolded, so that all men are treated equally under the laws. I know that is no longer true because in spite of the intent Justice is meted out differently to those who have the money to hire high powered attorneys. The rules of the court have changed to favor the perpetrator.

Because of the changes in the laws over the last few decades, the scales of Justice are no longer equal. Defense attorneys are allowed to present bolder sized lies to add to their side of the scale, all the while stealing truths from the state's side. Innuendo, misrepresentation and hired guns are the norm nowadays. Out and out lies are presented as factual to our jury's through these experts or even the defendant themselves.

Lady Justice is no longer equal justice under the law. Jury's are blinded from the truth, angering many of them after the verdict when they find out what is kept from them. Rapists, child molesters, and killers are set free to harm more people.

Lady Justice has been blindfolded, had her mouth duct taped, she has been handcuffed and shackled by the weight that has been added to the defense scales and taken from the state's side.

Right now there are teams of attorney's fighting against solitary confinement as being cruel and unusual punishment. We have lost sight of the victims and are losing more each day. What about the losses of the victim? Their family? Their friends? The community as a whole?

The money spent on high profile, salacious trials could be spent on much more important things. Perhaps by processing the backlog of DNA tests and rape kits that sit for years untouched because the money has to be spent on the defense. The DNA tests and rape kits that could and have identified perpetrators that have had far too long to continue to harm others.

The laws need to change and this time they need to swing back the other way. Trials need to have time limits, based on the crime, and Justice needs to become swift once again.

Your feelings are certainly justified and valid, but it's not as if our present system devolved from a pristine beginning into what it is now. True justice has always been more an imaginary ideal than an actual reality. Look at our history, the entire history of humanity. Justice has never been a concrete reality living among us. It's been an ideal we have always struggled and suffered to bring into being, and even that only at our best times and within our most enlightened societies. That we haven't yet succeeded is no surprise. The best we can do is continue to struggle to approximate it into existence.

I'd rather that decision was in the hands of someone who knows the law, can leave emotion out of it, and knows all the facts. jmt

I respectfully disagree. I think jury trials do work and is fair to both sides. What id like to see though is instead of a foreman a third party "judge" preside over deliberations. To assist in fact finding, law and to assist the jury in what is legal or not. Basically to act as a mediator for the jurors. Especially in cases that are expected to run long or be complex. Our criminal codes are hard to understand for even some attorneys but we expect everyday Janes to wade through it

I thought they'd come back having voted unanimously for DP, too. I am actually glad that they've struggled with it, because it shouldn't be easy for 12 normal people to vote to execute someone. I just hope that they have really looked at everything that they've been given, in terms of evidence, and closely examined the mitigating factors. From what I saw, CMJA has no remorse, or she wouldn't have kept destroying Travis' reputation. And then there's the mental health issues that they wouldn't raise during the guilt phase of the trial...she is like a creature that shape-shifts into whatever she needs to be in order to survive. She premeditated this execution of Travis, and called it self defense. Yet, while Travis was shot in the head, stabbed 29 times and nearly decapitated, her only injuries were a couple of cut fingers from her own knife. How does this happen to a woman in a fight for her life, against a man who is bigger and stronger? It isn't like he stalked her-she came to where he was, and if she had not, this wouldn't have happened. She's a predator and she hunted him down-that would eliminate the mitigators for me. I wish the first jury could have been able to finish this, but I think they were burnt out

Unfortunately we see time and again Jurors who believe the soap opera version as offered by the defense. They don't seem to apply much common sense or logic.

in re Steve 44, hit wrong reply tab: sweet! glad your here . I am so lucky in that I can manipulate my schedule when needed. I was supposed to be working so if this doesn't happen by at least tomorrow I will lose my s**t.
Radar, I work at the airport. I can let crew scheduling know youll be out UFN pending twitter results.

Sorry to ride OT. I've spoken about a high profile DR execution in my state Oklahoma of clayton lockett. He was tried, convicted and sentenced for robbery, kidnapping rape and then buried alive a beautiful 19 year old girl who simply had the misfortune of being at the wrong place. During execution they had trouble finding a vein and he had a heart attack. Now.. This is where they call it botched. The state was carrying out a just sentence as determined by a jury of his peers and he did die maybe not As fast but.. He did bury someones daughter alive seemed pretty fitting. His buddy who was scheduled to Be executed an hour after for brutally raping a baby and murdering her I. the process is awaiting his fate. I was just disappointed he couldnt have been the one on that gurney. My point Is.. The DP is a fair and just punishment for those convicted of depraved crimes.. Not just for men

I honestly think a higher power had a hand in that. :)

I would love to see her face and the wind suck out of the DT if they came back with the DP. .because this whole time they are thinking their evil tactics won...it would so worth this roller coaster ride!

No. Yesterday at around lunch time they reported to the judge that they were having trouble reaching consensus. The word "impasse" was used by Twitter reporters, but I'm not sure whether that came from the courtroom or from Twitterers echoing each other.

JSS told the jury to go back to deliberations and work harder. She modified the juror instructions somehow to help them, but I'm not sure how exactly—that part was decided at sidebar.

As of the end of the day yesterday, they have not returned their verdict yet. They are also not deadlocked yet.

Impasse instructions from JSS:

"The instruction tells jurors that attorneys for both sides and the judge are in a position to help them navigate the nitty-gritty legal issues, but is not meant to coerce them into reaching a verdict.

“During your deliberations, you should not hesitate to reexamine your own views and change your opinion if you become convinced that it is wrong,” the instruction says, according to the wording provided by the state bar. “However, you should not change your belief concerning the weight or effect of the evidence solely because of the opinions of your fellow jurors, or for the mere purpose of returning a verdict.”

If jurors still can’t reach a verdict, they may submit a list of written questions to the bailiff, and the judge and attorneys will try to answer them.

Alternatively, the jurors can tell the judge that such assistance, and additional deliberation, is of no help."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-jodi-arias-jury-impasse-20150303-story.html

I had a Dr. appointment yesterday and had gained a few pounds. I blamed it on you.

The killer and I are never responsible for our own behavior.

Thanks for taking the fall for me. TeeHee!

LOL. I made the huge mistake of getting on the scale when I noticed my clothes being tight. :facepalm: As if this trial hadn't put me over the edge, that unwelcomed bit of news did it.

But didn't someone mention they had chocolate cake?

I respectfully disagree. I think jury trials do work and is fair to both sides. What id like to see though is instead of a foreman a third party "judge" preside over deliberations. To assist in fact finding, law and to assist the jury in what is legal or not. Basically to act as a mediator for the jurors. Especially in cases that are expected to run long or be complex. Our criminal codes are hard to understand for even some attorneys but we expect everyday Janes to wade through it

I agree that the trial system works, even if it doesn't appear to administer justice to everyone's satisfaction. But if I understand you correctly, I'm not sure I agree that a third party should sort of preside over the deliberations. At least unless that person, who would appear to have a higher authority, could avoid influencing the verdict. I think the choice of foreperson is appropriate, and necessary to maintain a fair trial by one's peers

Urgh

It's that or
James Holmes I think for me. Although i did read about juans next case somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's JM's next case?

"You may wish to identify areas of agreement and disagreement and then discuss the law and the evidence as they relate to the areas of disagreement.
If you still disagree, you may wish to tell the attorneys and me which issues, questions, law or facts you would like us to assist you with. If you decide to follow these steps, please write down the issues where further assistance might help bring about a verdict and give the note to the bailiff. The attorneys and I will then discuss your note and try to help you."

If the law requires that any deliberating juror's question/s be submitted to the judge, then JSS's new instruction provides a way forward for dedicated jurors who believe there's still a chance that more info might change minds. But given the first jury's quick end, I wonder if the foreperson is a gatekeeper of sorts who controls what SOS signals to the judge are sent to her?

Any guesses about when the jury might have a verdict (or declare themselves unable to do so)? They adjourned rather quickly yesterday after they were said to be at an impasse. I suspect they were frustrated and wanted to get away from the situation for a while. Hopefully, they gave some serious thought to their responsibilities, got a good night's rest, and will approach deliberations today with determination and diligence. I expect an announcement by noon AZ time. :moo:

No Negativity ! It ain't over yet............Death Penalty verdict coming up.........2 p.m.

10 of them just have to talk the last 2 of them into it. We're almost there.

Everybody pop a Prozac and drink a couple of beers.............

I think life in prison will be a big win for Jodi Arias. She will be nice to most of the other inmates, and they will buy her "drawings" and letters she writes for them to send to their boyfriends/girlfriends. She'll get lots of treats for having different kinds of sex with certain inmates. She won't have to do much hard work, which seems similar to her life outside of prison. I doubt that the corrections department will trust her in the kitchen with the knives for fear she will stab one of the other inmates. She'll eventually get to check out books from the library, get a TV, probably only have to clean out her cell, get make-up and mirrors, maybe earn some use of the internet, etc. She definitely knows how to manipulate other people to get what she wants.

LOL. I made the huge mistake of getting on the scale when I noticed my clothes being tight. :facepalm: As if this trial hadn't put me over the edge, that unwelcomed bit of news did it.

But didn't someone mention they had chocolate cake?

It's Ok, I still haven't lost those pesky extra pounds from the first trial. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper