VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Florida, defendants must be found guilty by a unanimous vote, whether they steal a car or kill. When it comes to recommending the ultimate punishment, a simple majority, 7-5, suffices. We are the only state in America that allows such split juries to recommend death. And it matters. In 2012, almost two-thirds of the defendants sent to Florida's death row were ushered there even after some of the jurors believed they should be spared.

I sat on a murder trial back in 1996. It was a death penalty case and I tried like the dickens to be honest during voir dire by saying I thought I could recommend the death penalty. I got picked to be on the jury and it was absolutely unanimous when it came to the guilt phase. The sentencing phase, however, was much harder. We approached it by "polling" each juror, having them write their desired "sentence" and put it, folded up, in the center of the table. They were then all mixed up and the foreman started to read off the recomended sentence. It was 10-2 for the death penalty. I was one of the 2 who voted for LWOP. After the polling, we all spent approximately 2 hours discussing our thoughts, both positive and negative, and then decided that with such a big margin - we would take one final vote. Again the vote was 10-2. We went back into the courtroom and returned a sentence of the death penalty. When it got right down to it, I couldn't give the kid who murdered a school teacher the death penalty, mostly because of his older brother's plea to us to spare his life. I won't go into all the details, but I felt like this kid was misguided from birth. That's not an excuse to murder, but I felt he would be better off in jail for life. I recently read where he appealed his verdict and his sentence was commuted to LWOP. So, even though he was originally given the death penatly, it ends up he is now serving a life sentence. We are also one of few states where the judge can overrule our recommended sentence and give the Defendant Life or Death. Yes, I know - everything in FL is just a little wacky!

I truly hope this jury is able to do what I wasn't able to do, although the cases were nothing alike. I could absolutely give Jodi a death sentence. Her "overkill" of Travis deserves nothing less!

BBM Interesting about the state of Florida going with a majority vote. Isn't that where Casey Anthony was tried? Does anybody remember the jury split ratio in that case? TIA

"You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you."

"Mrs. Travis Alexander Mrs. Travis Alexander Mrs. Travis Alexander Mrs. Travis Alexander " Mrs Travis Alexander "Mrs. Travis Alexander "Mrs. Travis Alexander "Mrs. Travis Alexander "Mrs. Travis Alexander"

Ugh. I wonder what is worse. Being outside (in the shade) or stuck inside a sweltering building full of prisoners that probably aren't allowed to shower every day.

One woman died outside because they forgot her and left her outside in the cage. We can only wish for that for Jodi...

~Fashion Report~ Tweets:

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 2m2 minutes ago

Maria is here with a change of clothes for #jodiarias #3tvarias

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 2m2 minutes ago

MDLR enters courtroom with #JodiArias' wardrobe.

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 1m1 minute ago

Maria De La Rosa just walked into courtroom with clothes in dry cleaning bag. #JodiArias

:hilarious: I guess she's gotta look good :rolleyes: for interview with Troy ... oh, and Kiefer !

JA can't be seen in stripes ... nope :gaah:

Speaking of MDLR . . . I have been thinking about and truly stunned that the State of Arizona renewed her contract after the alleged unprofessional behavior she has engaged in with the felon, such as smuggling out and selling artwork, tweeting ridiculous statements slamming the prosecution and their witnesses, etc., etc. FWIW, I believe they did it to have a seamless end to this trial so the defense could not conjure up appeal issues based on MDLR being distraught over not being renewed, not able to do her job correctly, that type of issue.

I noted she is a contractor at an hourly rate, so my hope is that when this trial is over she is never actually assigned another case by the State of Arizona based on her behavior in this trial.

MORE TWEETS:

Mike Watkiss ‏@mikewatkiss3tv · 2m2 minutes ago

Def. Team just arrived-looks like there some gathering before Judge at 1:00-could jurors be finished one way or another?#jodiarias #3tvarias

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 38s39 seconds ago

Alexanders are on their way to the courtroom #jodiarias

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 33s34 seconds ago

Juan Martinez is not here. Yet. #JodiArias

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq · 32s33 seconds ago
#JodiArias. Lawyers here. Family up. Jodi family posed. Looks like closed door session. Could be the final Q that leads to hung jury. We see

Cathy ‏@courtchatter · 40s40 seconds ago
The family went into the victim room on the side of the courtroom. Juan is now here #jodiarias

More Tweets:

Mike Watkiss ‏@mikewatkiss3tv · 59s60 seconds ago

Court room locked but Def Team has gone inside #jodiarias #3tvarias

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq · 39s40 seconds ago

#JodiArias. Lawyers here. Family up. Jodi family posed. Looks like closed door session. Could be the final Q that leads to hung jury. We see

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 19s19 seconds ago
Juan Martinez is here. #jodiarias

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 2m2 minutes ago
Juan Martinez is not here. Yet. #JodiArias

Praying for a conclusion here. Please.

ETA: Y'all are fast! Glad he's there. Please get this over with....

From Hayden:
Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 35s35 seconds ago

I have been told that #JodiArias spends a lot of time "working on her paperwork" while alone in her courthouse holding cell.

Meaning her tracing/coloring???

JUAN HAS ARRIVED !!!

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 · 59s60 seconds ago

Juan Martinez is here. #jodiarias

Wild About Trial 2 ‏@WildaboutTrial2 · 56s57 seconds ago

Juan Martinez enters 5th floor heads towards victim's room. #jodiarias

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 37s37 seconds ago

Juans here! #JodiArias

If I'm being honest, and I always am, the secrecy of this whole trial bothers me more than a hung jury. JSS has learned Nothing since the SC/COA smack down.

image.jpg

JUSTICE for Travis

H
Speaking of MDLR . . . I have been thinking about and truly stunned that the State of Arizona renewed her contract after the alleged unprofessional behavior she has engaged in with the felon, such as smuggling out and selling artwork, tweeting ridiculous statements slamming the prosecution and their witnesses, etc., etc. FWIW, I believe they did it to have a seamless end to this trial so the defense could not conjure up appeal issues based on MDLR being distraught over not being renewed, not able to do her job correctly, that type of issue.

I noted she is a contractor at an hourly rate, so my hope is that when this trial is over she is never actually assigned another case by the State of Arizona based on her behavior in this trial.

I was thinking about this. If they did not renew MDLR contract, there would,have been an issue for appeal saying she as not effective in helping the felon. Is that possible?

We know it's a question or a hung jury because there wasn't the one hour media notice, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper