Verdict Watch

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense was under no obligation to reveal JLY was going to testify until he did. He was obviously well rehearsed. Again, I think they planned to call him all along.

Except for the actual tears part--I never saw any...

The defense was under no obligation to reveal JLY was going to testify until he did. He was obviously well rehearsed. Again, I think they planned to call him all along.

And a lot of times, it can be a last minute decision. Defendant is told he's going to testify, and he practices for hours, knowing he's going to take the stand (or strongly suspecting it). Then, when the time comes, they really have to weigh whether or not the defendant actually takes the stand, even though they've prepared and practices as if he would.

One other thing (sorry to be blasting off with all these posts - I have my Irish up :maddening:)

but I think things may have been a little different if jurors were allowed to review the evidence in the evidence room. I guess that's because in case there is a hung jury, they can't mess with the evidence? But don't most states allow them to view it in there, in the baggies and have a debate about it right there?

Why are they not allowed to view the evidence? The Cooper jurors took plenty of things back to the jury room.

It did seem the prosecutors were a little surprised tho.

They shouldn't have been surprised. They SHOULD HAVE had many run throughs of cross exam's of the defendant behind their belts, 'just in case'. A decent prosecution team would have. I bet you Boz could have cross examined JLY without notice.

Judge Stephens sounds totally defeated. :( Like he's had all the air let out of him. This is truly a horrible situation IMHO

I agree but their poor performance showed they were not 'ready'.

Why are they not allowed to view the evidence? The Cooper jurors took plenty of things back to the jury room.

I don't know - I thought it was a NC rule? They had to view the stuff they asked to see on Friday in the court room without discussing it amongst each other..and then go back to the jury room to discuss it? doesn't that sound odd?

This is one of those cases where everyone knows he did it (thus the civil trial decision) but the legal concept of the "beyond a reasonable doubt" catch comes into play. The defense was very good about casting a few points to insert some doubt. I don't doubt the jurors believe he did it - I bet they're stuck on the interpretation of the legal threshold. I wish the court would declare a mistrial now rather than allow the potential to persuade those voting guilty over to NG.

I was watching a similar argument late last night concerning the CA trial. The definition of *reasonable doubt* being dissed around on the first degree premediated aspect of that case. Too many CSI type shows, too few intelligent jurors these days. :banghead:

If that's the case, and the prosecution was aware that he was going to take the stand, it makes BH's cross even worse.

One thing is for sure, the ADA's did not get to do a deposition on JY prior to trial.

Oh wow, I really didn't think it would be quiet that far apart. I pray they reach a unanimous decision and soon.

I am sickened right now. The prosecution should have been on the ball and prepared for him to take the stand, because it's an option that is always there and there is NO excuse for not being prepared for it.

Prosecutions NEED to be passionate about the case they are trying and know the case inside and out, backwards and forwards.

BH clearly did not connect well with the jurors nor was she able to bring it home.

If this hangs I would recommend the state consult with ex-Houston Prosecutor Kelly Siegler, (who is in private practice as a consultant) who knows exactly how to cross-examine a defendant and exactly how to try a case successfully, and learn from one of the best of the best. Because that southern passive stance they have is not workin' for them!

JS told them they could review anything they want, as often and for as long as they want, but nothing can be taken to the jury room. He said it was NC state law.

ETA: As a taxpayer of Wake County I'm utterly disgusted right now. I've tried not to be an armchair quarterback to BH but I can't believe this wasn't a slam-dunk case for them.

Me too! :)

I think the biggest thing that may have caused reasonable doubt was the other set of shoe prints which did make me take a breath the first time I heard about that years ago (probably from a JTF post).

I think they also need to explain his cleanup a little better - maybe by showing that he could have stripped in the room, put his stuff in the garbage bags in the BR and then came downstairs and just used the hose to get his hands after he left the blood on that doorknob.

I also thought they could have refuted the hair on the picture frame better - they did say it could have been from previous parties, etc but didn't explain well that forcibly removed could have been from a brush - i think someone here was the one to explain that to me. :)

And "Who else knows which cabinet the trash bags are kept in?" "Who else even cares about cleaning up the crime scene?" As for the gas, every time I think about the gas I picture our 4 or 5 HUGE five gallon cans out back under our lean-to on the side of our shed. Even I, who cuts the grass most of the time, doesn't remember if there are 4 big cans, or 5. Hubby keeps them filled up, because if he doesn't, I get on him about needing fresh gas on hand for the generator. Our well runs on *power*. Anybody who lives out in the country should think 'big gas can's on hand'. IIRC, the Young property was close to two acres. They should have had big gas cans where ever they store their John Deere.

Just curious what you all think...

The jury is made of of 7 men and 5 women.

Any guess on the gender makeup of the not guilty group of 6? :crazy:

Oh wow, I really didn't think it would be quiet that far apart. I pray they reach a unanimous decision and soon.

I do not believe a unanimous verdict will be reached. I think this is headed for retrial. If it were one or two hung up, possibly, but 6, I just don't see it happening.

BH clearly did not connect well with the jurors nor was she able to bring it home.

At this point I would recommend the state consulting with ex-Houston Prosecutor Kelly Siegler, (who is in private practice as a consultant) who knows exactly how to cross-examine a defendant and exactly how to try a case successfully, and learn from one of the best of the best. Because that southern passive stance they have is not workin' for them!

I so agree!

She did an excellent job in the David Temple trial.

We need to make a list of all these ideas and email them to CW!

I had read the story when he took the stand and most journalists were even questioning the cross examination.

What was the opinion here? Do you think him taking the stand made this not as sure (to the jurors) as before?

BH simply blew the cross, IMO. That's all. I apologize for being so adamant, but it's there & it is not going to disappear. That may not have been what did it for the jurors -- probably not -- but a couple of good hard questions might have given them a no-doubt about his guilt mindset. MOO.

You just don't let a person with this type hot-headed-ness and misogyny and let him get off the stand that easily. "What about this.... and this.... and this.... and this..." Oh, I was so disappointed that day. Such a let-down. :maddening:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member