Viable suspect: Terry Hobbs #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
lethalmatthew wrote:

I have to disagree. Since TH is a viable suspect in this case, the relationship between him and his stepson has to be scrutinized. The nickname that TH gave to SB can perhaps shed some light on that relationship. While a repulsive nickname is by no means an indicator of guilt, it is an extra indicator of a poor father-stepson relationship, JMO

Compassionate Reader wrote:

I believe that, in the case of TH, we need to dissect anything and everything we can. The wmpd failed to investigate, but we can rectify that, at least to a degree.

I agree with both of you. I think we are all old enough to decide how much detail we want to go into, while scrutinizing this case. I want to go back to this Frog-leg thing because there are still a few things that disturb me, First of all, as you said lethalmatthew, this not only shows us something about the relationship between TH and SB, but also a few other things.

I mentioned the association I had with the name (I had this association before I read the Dimensions interview), and we also see the association TH had, which made him give SB the nickname. BTW , not all of the family called him this, PH refers to him as "Bubba", never as Frog-leg.

http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/p_hobbs_declaration1.html

Now as usual, the stories that TH tells, as on many occasions, are very confusing. I will quote this piece of the interview again:

TH: Yeah. We was living up in Indiana. My dad had a re -- a chain of restaurants -- we had 32 restaurants. Okay, one -- had [some up in] Indiana. The one I refer to has a big lake to have a swim, and have a good time. Right in the middle of this lake was a -- something like this out there floating around, where you could climb up on it and dive off. Uh, 80-foot -- there's signs posted out there, 80-foot beach [unintelligible]. We all get out there to that, and climb up on there.
Pam's still on her way, swimming out there to it.:

Interviewer: Right

TH: And me and Stevie's already up there on top of it. And he bails off in there, not knowing how to swim

Interviewer: Oh man.

TH: And boy, immediately I go in to get him. But when I go down to get him, he just looking like a frog

Interviewer: [Laughs]

TH: [Crosstalk] kicking his legs and arms, trying to go up. He wasn't going down.

Interviewer: That's [unintelligible]. I used to teach [unintelligible] by throwing them in the water, because they'll-they'll do it naturally.

TH: I put my hand on his butt, just, you know, brought him up.

Interviewer: Brought him up, yeah. I love that. They call him "Frog Leg" ever since then.

I suppose this something floating around in the middle of the lake was a pontoon (possibly 80ft from the beach). First they "all get out there,to that", PH is still on her way swimming out to it. TH then says SB does not know how to swim. He however, does not say that he and SB swam out to it. (Maybe they took a boat). SB "bails off in there, not knowing how to swim".

I was never a swimmer, and I can tell you one thing, I would never ever have jumped into water that I could not stand up in. OK maybe SB was different. So he had jumped in and was obviously drowning, or am I completely off my rocker ? SB was somewhere between 2-4 years old. I would have had a heart attack.

IMO, that story is just another example of the total lack of feeling that TH had for SB. Great find! On the subject of the mtDNA obtained from a hair in the ligature of MM, I'd like to add one clarification. The investigator that collected the cigarette butts (Rachel Geiser, IIRC) collected them not only from the yard but also from the ashtray in the house according to West of Memphis. Finally, I'd like to point out, once again, that the wmpd didn't even interview TH until the defense presented the mtDNA evidence in 2007, and they still insist that TH is not now and never has been a suspect. How's that for incompetence?

I find the nickname abhorrent! There's a sadistic practice called "frog gigging" that I associate with the nickname for some reason. I agree that being an excellent swimmer is not justification for such a repulsive nickname.

What about the nickname 'Icky'? That's what Damien went by according to the records on file at Callahans. I'd rather be called frog-legs anyday when I compare the two, but that's just me.

I'm puzzled by Pam's statement that SB told her 'I love you' multiple times when they walked home from school. Didn't she think that was odd at the time? Reminds me of that scene in PL2 where Melissa mentions that CB's entry in his diary on May 5th was: 'I love my mommy'. Perhaps that that does give some credence to the theory that CB and SB wanted to run away that day, JMO.

lethalmatthew wrote:

I have to disagree. Since TH is a viable suspect in this case, the relationship between him and his stepson has to be scrutinized. The nickname that TH gave to SB can perhaps shed some light on that relationship. While a repulsive nickname is by no means an indicator of guilt, it is an extra indicator of a poor father-stepson relationship, JMO

Compassionate Reader wrote:

I believe that, in the case of TH, we need to dissect anything and everything we can. The wmpd failed to investigate, but we can rectify that, at least to a degree.

I agree with both of you. I think we are all old enough to decide how much detail we want to go into, while scrutinizing this case. I want to go back to this Frog-leg thing because there are still a few things that disturb me, First of all, as you said lethalmatthew, this not only shows us something about the relationship between TH and SB, but also a few other things.

I mentioned the association I had with the name (I had this association before I read the Dimensions interview), and we also see the association TH had, which made him give SB the nickname. BTW , not all of the family called him this, PH refers to him as "Bubba", never as Frog-leg.

Now as usual, the stories that TH tells, as on many occasions, are very confusing. I will quote this piece of the interview again:

TH: Yeah. We was living up in Indiana. My dad had a re -- a chain of restaurants -- we had 32 restaurants. Okay, one -- had [some up in] Indiana. The one I refer to has a big lake to have a swim, and have a good time. Right in the middle of this lake was a -- something like this out there floating around, where you could climb up on it and dive off. Uh, 80-foot -- there's signs posted out there, 80-foot beach [unintelligible]. We all get out there to that, and climb up on there.
Pam's still on her way, swimming out there to it.:

Interviewer: Right

TH: And me and Stevie's already up there on top of it. And he bails off in there, not knowing how to swim

Interviewer: Oh man.

TH: And boy, immediately I go in to get him. But when I go down to get him, he just looking like a frog

Interviewer: [Laughs]

TH: [Crosstalk] kicking his legs and arms, trying to go up. He wasn't going down.

Interviewer: That's [unintelligible]. I used to teach [unintelligible] by throwing them in the water, because they'll-they'll do it naturally.

TH: I put my hand on his butt, just, you know, brought him up.

Interviewer: Brought him up, yeah. I love that. They call him "Frog Leg" ever since then.

I suppose this something floating around in the middle of the lake was a pontoon (possibly 80ft from the beach). First they "all get out there,to that", PH is still on her way swimming out to it. TH then says SB does not know how to swim. He however, does not say that he and SB swam out to it. (Maybe they took a boat). SB "bails off in there, not knowing how to swim".

I was never a swimmer, and I can tell you one thing, I would never ever have jumped into water that I could not stand up in. OK maybe SB was different. So he had jumped in and was obviously drowning, or am I completely off my rocker ? SB was somewhere between 2-4 years old. I would have had a heart attack.

You can slice it any way you want, but honestly, taking into account such a menial thing as this nickname is equivalent to looking into the WM3 because they like metal music and wore black. Seriously, it's the same exact thing. I won't be a part of that, and I'm surprised supporters would be.

You can slice it any way you want, but honestly, taking into account such a menial thing as this nickname is equivalent to looking into the WM3 because they like metal music and wore black. Seriously, it's the same exact thing. I won't be a part of that, and I'm surprised supporters would be.

Fair enough, no one's asking you to.

I'm puzzled by Pam's statement that SB told her 'I love you' multiple times when they walked home from school. Didn't she think that was odd at the time? Reminds me of that scene in PL2 where Melissa mentions that CB's entry in his diary on May 5th was: 'I love my mommy'. Perhaps that that does give some credence to the theory that CB and SB wanted to run away that day, JMO.

I know this is CR's view of things. It's definitely possible. my tendencies go in another direction. I don't think SB would have left his mother, I think he wanted to protect her. After analysing JMB's initial statement, and also diverse statements by TH,PH, and her sisters, it seems CB was at the Hobbs house for the first time around Sunday 2nd of May. This is the story at the beginning of the Dimensions interview. In between Sunday, and Wednesday the 5th, we don't know what was happening.

These things give me the feeling that there were threats to SB and CB in this time:

1. Stevie seeking reassurance from PH by telling her he loved her so many times.
2. Stevie wanting to get out the house as quickly as possible with MM, it's possible Stevie wanted to get out before TH came home.
3. Stevie and MM were on the way to the Moores house, they must have crossed paths with CB.
4. CB went to the Hobbs house to see Amanda.
5. TH was scouring the driveway to see if Stevie was coming. (This story is told in a strange way in the police interview). Perhaps Stevie was on the way home at 4:30, but then he saw TH.

I just have the strangest feeling, that all of these things were happening for a reason. JMO.

CB didn't go to the Hobbs house to see Amanda -- he went looking for SB, obviously, to play. When SB (having just left with MM) wasn't home, he then asked if he could watch Muppet Babies (having it noticed it was airing) with AH. To say he went there for her, that day, would be inaccurate (just saying).

I think the three boys crossed paths while CB was in the carport after being punished by JMB, around 5:30 pm. Where MM and SB were beforehand, and what they may have encountered, we can only wonder. CB saw MM and SB (since he was out in front in the carport), and joined up with them, going against his punishment to play with his friends. Soon after, MM's mother would see them all heading down the street toward RHH.

If this was a planned run-away, the boys would have brought supplies. OB supposedly saw all the boys carrying green back packs, but who knows how reliable that sighting is. That would fit the narrative you're trying to paint, though. I still consider OB a suspect, but that's for a different thread.

I think the three boys crossed paths while CB was in the carport after being punished by JMB, around 5:30 pm. Where MM and SB were beforehand, and what they may have encountered, we can only wonder. CB saw MM and SB (since he was out in front in the carport), and joined up with them, going against his punishment to play with his friends. Soon after, MM's mother would see them all heading down the street toward RHH.

If this was a planned run-away, the boys would have brought supplies. OB supposedly saw all the boys carrying green back packs, but who knows how reliable that sighting is. That would fit the narrative you're trying to paint, though. I still consider OB a suspect, but that's for a different thread.

It's a complete mystery to me what the movements of SB and MM were between rougly 15:20 and 18:00. Do we know if Dana Moore was indeed (as TH claims) not at home during most of the afternoon? Why did SB take such a risk by not coming home before 16:30? After all, Pam had threatened to ground him for two weeks if he didn't show up on time. Perhaps that Pam made empty threats all the time and SB knew that?
Wrt the back packs, I take that claim with a grain of salt. Pam would have surely noticed that two or three back packs were missing.

Yes, I take the back pack sighting with a grain of salt, as well. I do believe, however, that OB made up that "fact" in order to illustrate the boys were, in fact, running away. Why he would want to do that, is what makes him suspicious to me. If I were the last person to see these boys alive, I would want to deflect attention away from myself -- what better way, than to imply that the boys were running away. How would I make that implication? I would say they all had backpacks and I would say they were in a hurry (he also said this), and I would say that's the last I've seen of any of them; in order to get the police off the true scent, so to speak.

Many believe that SB did in fact return home sometime after TH took PH to work: either immediately after or perhaps around 5 pm or so. A green leafy substance was found in his stomach during the autopsy, indicating that he had eaten soon before death. PH had made salisbury steak, potatoes, and green beans (this could have been the green leafy substance). SB's favorite food was green beans, so it would make sense that he would ignore everything else.

If he did arrive home, he realized that he was already late. No one else would be home, so perhaps he ate some green beans quickly, then went back out to find his friends. Whether MM was with him, would be doubtful, since SB was probably trying to follow PH's orders to be home by 4:30 pm to avoid being grounded, like you say; but obviously, he had missed them. There is a possibility that all three were separated at one point in time. Perhaps he knew his mother was working late; and perhaps he figured TH wouldn't be home anytime soon, so he felt like he could get away with going back out and playing later than normal.

Userid:

CB didn't go to the Hobbs house to see Amanda -- he went looking for SB, obviously, to play. When SB (having just left with MM) wasn't home, he then asked if he could watch Muppet Babies (having it noticed it was airing) with AH. To say he went there for her, that day, would be inaccurate (just saying).

35. Approximately ten minutes later, around 3:30 or 3:35 p.m., Christopher Byers came to the house. He asked for Stevie and Michael, and I told him I was surprised he didn't run into them because they had just left. The television show The Muppet Babies was on, and Christopher asked me if he could watch The Muppet Babies with my daughter Amanda, who was four at the time.

PH. Well, I wouldn't think five minutes had passed by the time
Christopher was knocking on the door. And he asked about Stevie a
lot, and I told him, "Well, you just missed him. They just left to go to
Michael's house."
And he said, "Well, can I come in and see Amanda
for a little bit?"
And I said, "Yeah, that'd be fine." So, they sat in the
den and watched the Muppet Babies, and when the Muppet Babies
went off he left. So…

http://callahan.8k.com/hobbs_pasdar/hp_38/hp_38_6.pdf pages 62-162

CB had no key, no one was home. He had tried to climb through the window in the carport. This was between 3:00 and 3:25, the time he approximatly turned up at the Hobbs house. If SB and MM headed off to MM house at 3:15, the chances are very high that their ways will have crossed.

A geographical plot of the houses of SB, MM, CB:

http://www.jivepuppi.com/jivepuppi_the_neighborhood.html

Whether they met or not, fact is CB didn’t go looking for them even though PH had told him they had gone to MM's house, he asked if he could see Amanda, which obviously was his prime intention, that is a fact, everything else is speculation.

Userid:

If he did arrive home, he realized that he was already late. No one else would be home, so perhaps he ate some green beans quickly, then went back out to find his friends.

Please show me where it is stated that SB had a key. There is no statement from PH or TH that he had a key, there was no key found with the clothes / bikes /bodies. TH was the Man in control, I doubt It, that he would have allowed SB to have a key.

15. Not long before Stevie died, I asked Stevie if he wanted to come to live with me or with my parents. Stevie said that he couldn’t, because his mom wouldn’t leave, and he had to stay with his mom to protect her from Terry

http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/s_muse_declaration.html

I've always thought that SB was "sort of" running away. I believe (and this is my speculation) that something had recently happened between SB and TH that so thoroughly frightened or disgusted SB that he wanted to get away with his mother from TH. IOW, SB wanted PH to leave TH. I think that he hatched a plan with his friend (or friends) to expedite that desire. I think that the plan was for him and him alone to "hide out" in the "secret hideout" overnight (hence the backpacks) while MM notified his maternal grandparents of his location. His hope was that this action would prove to his mom just how serious he was about her leaving TH and that, when her parents arrived, they would side with him and force the issue. I think that, after JMB spanked CB, CB may have joined SB in running away. It's even possible that CB was keeping an eye on PH by going into the house and watching TV with AH. Then, after he returned home and was spanked, he decided to join SB. I also believe it's possible (again, my speculation) that SB did return home around 4:30 pm and that he was met in the driveway by TH. At that time, SB begged to be allowed to continue playing. TH gave permission. Then SB and MM returned to the "hideout" to prepare it for the night. CB joined later, as I said.

Userid:

CB had no key, no one was home. He had tried to climb through the window in the carport. This was between 3:00 and 3:25, the time he approximatly turned up at the Hobbs house.

Please show me where it is stated that SB had a key. There is no statement from PH or TH that he had a key, there was no key found with the clothes / bikes /bodies. TH was the Man in control, I doubt It, that he would have allowed SB to have a key.

JMB said in his WMPD interview that CB had tried to enter a window during the time JMB and RC were at court, so approx. 16:00-17:20.
We can't know for sure if SB had a key or not. It's entirely possible that TH and Pam would leave the key under the doormat or something.

Here is a scenario that I am looking at:
SB discussed his plans to run away during lunch break with MM and CB. MM wanted to help SB the best way he could, but CB was afraid that his own stepfather would punish him severely if he stayed out later. SB was picked up from school by Pam, so MM went to SB's house. CB slowly walked to SB's house (possibly knowing that SB and MM were already gone, so he may have had the intention to watch TV with Amanda). Later, when Pam was dropped off at work, SB and MM returned to SB's house (whether he had a key or not is not necessarily relevant, since TH was home anyway). SB ate the beans and possibly changed his clothes. It's plausible that TH had a tradition of going to JC's house on Wednesdays. So SB and MM waited for him to leave. SB wrote a note for Terry, in which he wrote something like: 'I have had enough of your abuse and I never want to see you again!' SB and MM left in the direction of RHH and on the way, they found CB. CB had just been punished by JMB, which may have changed his mind about running away (it was the last straw). So the three of them head off to their hideout. TH came back from the Jacobys, found the note and became enraged. 'How dare he humiliate me like that?' TH drove to the hideout, where the punishment got horribly out of hand. JMO, of course.

JMB said in his WMPD interview that CB had tried to enter a window during the time JMB and RC were at court, so approx. 16:00-17:20.
We can't know for sure if SB had a key or not. It's entirely possible that TH and Pam would leave the key under the doormat or something.

Here is a scenario that I am looking at:
SB discussed his plans to run away during lunch break with MM and CB. MM wanted to help SB the best way he could, but CB was afraid that his own stepfather would punish him severely if he stayed out later. SB was picked up from school by Pam, so MM went to SB's house. CB slowly walked to SB's house (possibly knowing that SB and MM were already gone, so he may have had the intention to watch TV with Amanda). Later, when Pam was dropped off at work, SB and MM returned to SB's house (whether he had a key or not is not necessarily relevant, since TH was home anyway). SB ate the beans and possibly changed his clothes. It's plausible that TH had a tradition of going to JC's house on Wednesdays. So SB and MM waited for him to leave. SB wrote a note for Terry, in which he wrote something like: 'I have had enough of your abuse and I never want to see you again!' SB and MM left in the direction of RHH and on the way, they found CB. CB had just been punished by JMB, which may have changed his mind about running away (it was the last straw). So the three of them head off to their hideout. TH came back from the Jacobys, found the note and became enraged. 'How dare he humiliate me like that?' TH drove to the hideout, where the punishment got horribly out of hand. JMO, of course.

These scenarios are all highly probable. Given the internal family strife that others have testified to... I think this family of 4 had reached its boiling point. The botched investigation that followed was a reflection of the small town syndrome and the internal corruption within law enforcement at the time of the murders. I think that the true murderer of the boys was not investigated thoroughly because of self preservation. It was far easier to pin the murders on the scapegoats then risk exposing a bigger underlying scheme.

Userid:

35. Approximately ten minutes later, around 3:30 or 3:35 p.m., Christopher Byers came to the house. He asked for Stevie and Michael, and I told him I was surprised he didn't run into them because they had just left. The television show The Muppet Babies was on, and Christopher asked me if he could watch The Muppet Babies with my daughter Amanda, who was four at the time.

PH. Well, I wouldn't think five minutes had passed by the time
Christopher was knocking on the door. And he asked about Stevie a
lot, and I told him, "Well, you just missed him. They just left to go to
Michael's house."
And he said, "Well, can I come in and see Amanda
for a little bit?"
And I said, "Yeah, that'd be fine." So, they sat in the
den and watched the Muppet Babies, and when the Muppet Babies
went off he left. So…

http://callahan.8k.com/hobbs_pasdar/hp_38/hp_38_6.pdf pages 62-162

CB had no key, no one was home. He had tried to climb through the window in the carport. This was between 3:00 and 3:25, the time he approximatly turned up at the Hobbs house. If SB and MM headed off to MM house at 3:15, the chances are very high that their ways will have crossed.

A geographical plot of the houses of SB, MM, CB:

http://www.jivepuppi.com/jivepuppi_the_neighborhood.html

Whether they met or not, fact is CB didn’t go looking for them even though PH had told him they had gone to MM's house, he asked if he could see Amanda, which obviously was his prime intention, that is a fact, everything else is speculation.

Userid:

15. Not long before Stevie died, I asked Stevie if he wanted to come to live with me or with my parents. Stevie said that he couldn’t, because his mom wouldn’t leave, and he had to stay with his mom to protect her from Terry

http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/s_muse_declaration.html

I don't really know what you're trying to show me -- as I said (and as it's written in the quotes/links you provide), CB's main reason of going to SB's house was SB; not Amanda. He didn't go there "for Amanda." He went there for SB, initially. His prime intention was SB -- he asked for him first, upon arriving; not AH. To say his prime intention was to see AH is completely unfounded. If (and it's a huge if) his main goal was to see AH that day, there is absolutely no way to prove it. I realize he had a crush on AH and people like to use that as some sort of fuel to feed a motive for TH, but if you're looking at it objectively, his main purpose was to see SB.

You say "show me where he had a key?" I can't do that, in as much as you can't prove that he didn't have a key or that the family didn't have a hiding spot outside/in the yard for a key; or that there wasn't an alternative way to gain access to the house. Or, that the house was locked at all (this wouldn't be completely unprecedented; this was a good neighborhood at the time of these crimes). If you can, please do. I was simply just saying what I've heard others suppose. For me, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that SB returned home soon after his parents left. I can't prove it, granted, but personally, I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Sorry folks, I give up. When emotional invalidity coerces intellect to the extent that the result is evasive logic, then I can't see the basis for a discussion. Eight year old children are driven largely by emotions, what they say, and what they do are sometimes completely different things. It's worth analysing, this often makes it easier to cope with their needs. We were all eight year olds, have so many people lost contact to their own childhood ?

The proposed extravagant plans these three boys fabricated, are indeed fabricated in the heads of grown-ups. Plans, elaborate enough to commit a bank robbery. There is no access to this case without a minimum of emotional intelligence. Enough to see the interactions of three eight year old boys, and mentally defective masculine control.

I agree with the profile done by Brent Turvey, that this is most definitely a Battered Child Homicide.

But more importantly, the location of the dumpsite itself does not suggest a serial offender. As indicated, it's simply too close to the point of abduction. If this assailant had been a stranger to the victims, then he would have grabbed them, and, knowing that others would be looking for the boys soon, he would have left the area immediately. Subsequently, the bodies would have been disposed of somewhere far away from West Memphis along down the Interstate, and a greater attempt would have been made to prevent the bodies from being discovered. All of this would have served to help a stranger or serial offender in his escape from the area, undetected.

Instead, the bodies were disposed of right where they were last seen, in the area where most of the people searching for them were looking. This suggests that the assailant wanted the bodies to be found quickly. No time was taken to conceal the bodies, because the offender did not have a great distance to go in order to be in his safe-zone. They were just dumped in the water, clothes, bicycles and all.

Wound patterns
The wound patterns inflicted on these victims are punishment oriented. That is to say that they were inflicted with the intention to punish these children for a real or perceived transgression. This is known because the wounds are violent, traumatic, and the product of rage. But in addition to that, the type of injuries inflicted, (i.e. the bite marks and the evident anger), pointedly indicate a custodial type homicide.

Because this is so, and because of the other factors discussed, it further lessens the likelihood of a serial offender or stranger being involved in this case.

Battered Child Homicide Assessment In this examiner's opinion, this classification is the most consistent with the physical evidence, crime scene and victimological presentation in this case. According to Practical Homicide Investigation by Vern Geberth, 3rd Ed., pp.642-643, the interpretation of patterns of bite mark evidence breaks down, generally, as such

Homosexual Homicides tend to involve bite marks of the back, arms, shoulders, axillae (armpits, face, and scrotum of the victim).

Heterosexual Homicides usually involve bite marks delivered by the assailant to the breast and thighs.

Battered children most often have randomly placed bite marks on the cheeks, back, and sides. However, bite marks on battered children have also been found on the abdomen, scrotum, and buttocks. In child cases, biting seems to be done in a rapid, random, and enraged manner leaving tissue laceration, diffuse areas, and poor detail, as opposed to sexually associated bite marks, usually inflicted in a slow and sadistic manner and resulting in excellent detail.

Note: According to Dr. Lowell Levine (as detailed Practical Homicide Investigation), there are two general but distinct types of bite mark patterns.

1) Those which are inflicted slowly, which leave a central ecchymotic area or 'suck mark,' and a radiating linear abrasion pattern surrounding the central area resembling a sunburst. The type is most often found in sexually oriented homicides;

2) Those which resemble a tooth mark pattern. This is an attack or defensive bite mark and is seen most often in the battered-child type of homicide.

The bite marks in this case appear to be, in the majority, of the nature and quality described above in the Battered Child Homicide.

Purpose of the Assault
It is the opinion of this examiner that the primary reason for these killings was punitive. The victims were being punished for some real or perceived wrong. The reasons for this opinion have been thoroughly established in other parts of this report.

It should be pointed out at this point that this examiner is under the opinion that James M. Moore was a collateral victim. That is to say that he was not an intended victim, and that he died because of his association with the other two victims at the time. The anger of the assailant in this case, manifested in victim damage and sexual mutilation, is directed primarily at Steve Branch and Chris Byers. This would indicate that the strongest personal associations with the assailant are with Chris and Steve.

A Battered Child Homicide is not elaborate, and certainly not a fairy tale, it is pure blatant, violent reality. Here statistics taken from a book on the subject:

Child Homicide Parents who kill.
Lita Linzer Schwartz and Natalie K. Isser

Turning to the United States, we found different types of fathers who committed child homicide, although in most cases they shared a need to “control.” In one case, Michael James Shukry, characterized as a “neat freak,” had abundant “explanations” for the multiple injuries and ultimately the death of his girlfriend’s 7-year-old son. Naturally, these were all “accidents” or the boy’s fault, with 39 separate injuries found on him over time. Not long before the boy died, his aunt and a hospital social worker had contacted Child Protective Services in Sacramento (California) about possible child abuse, but the agency decided not to investigate. Shukry was convicted of child homicide and second-degree murder (Coronado, 2004).

As we have noted, neonaticide committed by fathers is very rare, but father figures are more often the guilty parties in infanticide or filicide in later childhood. “Fathers” include men who live with the mother of the children as her husband and the children’s biological father, as stepfather, or as live- in lover or boyfriend. They may displace their anger or lack of patience with a crying child or suffer from a personality disorder (Scott, 1973). They may become homicidal because of intoxication or substance abuse (Campion et al., 1988). Resnick (1969) found that the method used by a parent to kill a child varies by gender: mothers tended to drown, gas, or strangle a child, while fathers stabbed, squeezed, struck, or banged the head of the child.

Palermo (2002) offered case examples that included shaken baby syndrome, battered child syndrome, head trauma, stabbing, or drowning. Some of the father figures involved were psychotic; others were unable to control their destructive emotions. In a study by Herman-Giddens and colleagues (1999), it was found that almost two thirds of child maltreatment fatalities were at the hands of the children’s biological parents. They also found that most of the time (65.5%), the killer was male: father, stepfather, or mother’s boyfriend.

The team reviewed five information sources (Air Force FAP Child/Spouse Abuse Incident Report, birth record of victim, medical record of victim, autopsy record of victim, and Air Force Office of Special Investigation’s [OSI] Record of the Investigation [ROI], p. 94) and developed 58 variables concerning the victim, perpetrator, family, or incident.

58% died of traumatic head injuries, while another 29% died of asphyxiation

Unlike the perpetrators in many other studies, 97% of the parents in this study were married and living with spouse and child at the time of the infant’s death. Several had been abused as children or had been seen clinically for spouse or child abuse. The fatal incident usually occurred “in the perpetrator’s home (71%) when the perpetrator was left alone (86%) with the infant on the weekend (47%)” (p. 100).

It is so obvious who the perpetrator is. I can only presume that some posters who are adamant on protecting TH, either identify themselves with the emotional desolation that he displays, or they identify a parent / partner with a similar demeanour. On the whole, in the year I've been studying this case, I have been shocked by the amount of posters on various boards, who felt "comfortably numb" looking at the battered bodies of three little boys, rather than to look at the corpses in their own cellars.

TH and PH had a fatal attraction to each other. Until this very day PH does not know if TH killed her son or not. I guess she would have felt a lot better if she could have believed it was the WM3. She didn't take the easy way out, as others did. If she decides to take a stance and say TH was the perp, that would mean she would have to take part of the responsibility for not protecting her son enough, adding to the fact that she lived with the murderer of her son. That is quite a terrible conflict. I feel very sorry for her.

Another look at:

Child Homicide Parents who kill.
Lita Linzer Schwartz and Natalie K. Isser

the motives of those who murder children, usually their own. Wilczynski (1997a), in her book Child Homicide, listed ten categories of motives, some of which we have already touched on:

1. Retaliating killings (those in which one parent murders the children to get back at the other parent, usually an ex-spouse at the time)
2. Jealousy of or rejection by the victim (usually the father commits the homicide)
3. Unwanted child (the most common basis of neonaticide)
4. Discipline (overzealous corporal punishment of the child for crying or disobedience)
5. Altruistic a.Primary (usually “mercy killing” of very ill/retarded child)
b.Secondary (possible postpartum depression, lack of support in parenting)
6.Psychotic parent (delusions about child)
7.Munchausen syndrome by proxy (direct physical actions of parent that lead to invasive medical investigations of child)
8.Secondary to sexual or ritual abuse
9.No intent to kill or injure (neglect in the absence of criminal intent)
10.Not known

Taken from a post by PH on another board:

"Honestly I have no ideal of what went on in my home when I was working which was always the 5-9pm 10pm shift."

The list of victims and intruders who were used / abused and punished for breaking TH law, and the allegations against TH.

Angela H. (First wife) (Abuse)
Bryan H. (Son in first marriage) (Abuse, Sexual Abuse)
Mildred F. Intruder (Sexual assault / Assault /Criminal Trespass)
Jesse the Mexican. Intruder (Assault)
Stevie B Intruder (Abuse / Sexual Abuse)
Chris B. Intruder ( ? )
Michael M. (He didn't break TH law, he just witnessed the punishment of SB, and CB)
Jackie H. Jnr. Intruder (Aggravated Assault, ended fatally)
Andy N. Intruder (assault)
Pam H. (Abuse)
Amanda H. (Sexual Abuse, Abuse, Loss of pregnancy due to physical abuse)

Other evidence, circumstantial evidence, psychological evidence, is all present, it just needs to be verified / analysed by the authorities.

I hope that TH will someday be made responsible for what he did. It hurts to see that some "Average Joe" parents kill their own children. Yes a lot of us have "Average Joe" parents.

All the parts of the puzzle can be found in the Hobbs/Hicks network, it's just a matter of wanting to see them, or not. If the authorities had taken the Mildred F, incident seriously, these three boys might still be alive. Not only these three boys, but also Melissa Byers, Jackie Hicks Jnr, the person who was knocked down by Dana M. The others who are alive, will remain survivors.

The WM3, who were abducted by the state of Arkansas for 18 years, well that is another story, ironically it has nothing to do with the murders of SH, CB, and MM.

After all this, I would have loved to have met Stevie, Chris and Michael, hug them, take them into my heart, stroke their heads.

This is my personal opinion. Anyone who feels offended by my remarks, my remarks were meant to be offensive, some of you who don't feel offended, should feel offended. Those who are passionate about this case, have no need to feel offended. This is a wake up call.

"It must be torture for a murderer who is not caught and convicted. All the love he receives from there on, he knows it's meant for someone else who he is giving himself out to be."

Anonymous Police Officer

"I also remember while I, Terry, was trying to keep my job at the ice cream company, all of my customers were so nice I could not handle it. I would walk in to do my job, and I did not know how many of my customers would hug me, and some of them would even start to cry. This seemed to make me nervous. As nice as my customers were and as nice as all of the employees of Memphis Ice Cream Company were, since they did not -- they did not know what being overly nice to me was doing to me. As long as I’ve been at the ice cream and had the same customers for years, this kind of being nice to me was making my mind seem like it was frying."

Taken from TH Pasdar Deposition

Dear CherLockhomes,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this. I have signed a petition for the reopening of this case however I intend to sign the one identifying T.H. as the most viable suspect to be charged and investigated.

On a side note, when you wrote "Sorry folks, I give up" I know you never will because I can't even read your post in the "Why are we still here" thread without a tear in my eye. You are an amazing person and I am just thankful to be in the company of such a courageous person, many posters here I am sure feel the same. Thank you for standing up for justice for Stevie, Michael and Chris. Every time you post here, you are posting on their behalf for truth and justice in this.

CherLockholmes,

The last two quotes you posted (one from a police officer and one from TH) are very telling. I, too, get frustrated at times with the seeming reluctance on the part of some people to see the elephant in the room. To think that Damien, Jason and Jessie were convicted on the flimsy evidence against them and that the wmpd won't even consider TH to be a suspect to this day is mind boggling, to say the least. My mantra for a while has been, "Reopen this case and investigate TH." Anything else is wasting time! Also, I'm convinced that, if we could find out why TH felt that the police "have to protect" him, we'd be on the road to the truth. I've never seen anyone give a satisfactory answer to that! Thanks again for your passionate post. I feel it, too!

I suppose I can only speak for myself here: I am NOT trying to protect TH. I don't think anyone is, and I believe the premise is totally asinine. I believe that people are reluctant to make the same mistake they did with JMB, who has an even shadier past history than TH.

I don't get why people get so upset when others simply disagree with them or see it differently than they do; or feel the need to to make baseless claims like "he's protecting TH." I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I believe TH should be investigated -- the difference I have with the majority of you, is that I feel he should be investigated BEFORE I 100% declare him guilty, not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay