Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The news was reporting they were searching a wooded gully when a searcher yelled out "I found it".

Wow, finally caught up! I agree with CherryLane's post that AM may have known RAT's son thru younger brothers, kids in the neighborhood, etc. As numerous people have posted from that area, everyone knows who everyone is.

My thoughts on the phones found were they were RATs. He bought disposable phones for his numerous life styles. He does not strike me as the type to sign a two year contract and be tied to one phone!

My opinions, ideas, and thoughts belong to me.

We don't know for sure that Alexis' phone was found, for others just getting back on here. Just that "some" phones were found somewhere. JMO

The news was reporting they were searching a wooded gully when a searcher yelled out "I found it".
Yes, from:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-camper.html

A wooded gully about 10 feet from U.S. 29 was bordered with crime scene tape Wednesday afternoon. Investigators focused on the area for hours, entering the woods with gloves, evidence tags and cameras.

Searching through the gully, one canine handler shouted, “We found it!”

Why would he place her there in his story?
I would say he would place her in the camper in his story because that would account for any item of hers that might be found there, even if he accidentally brought it back on his clothing, like, say, the hair....it's called CYA.

Yes, from:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-camper.html

A wooded gully about 10 feet from U.S. 29 was bordered with crime scene tape Wednesday afternoon. Investigators focused on the area for hours, entering the woods with gloves, evidence tags and cameras.

Searching through the gully, one canine handler shouted, “We found it!”

Thank you! I knew I read it somewhere, but I couldn't find it doing a search on Google. I really hope the phones give some clue about this guy. I really don't think they're his, although they could be..I just think they belong to others. I hope one of them is Alexis's and we can get some more info...

I've read on here before that LE can only read the actual text messages if they have the phone...is that true? I could have sworn they could get them through the cell phone company? I don't know a lot about cell phone tracing, anyone have a better idea? TIA.

Question for locals: Do people smoke joints while working in a carwash in that area? Or say, anywhere outside while at work? The sheriff would have a field day if people did that around here, so I was wondering if the culture was different in that area of VA.

TIA.

I would say he would place her in the camper in his story because that would account for any item of hers that might be found there, even if he accidentally brought it back on his clothing, like, say, the hair....it's called CYA.

Her hair could be explained away by knowing her. If there is any other evidence DNA of hers etc... his story is not going to explain it away imo.

Thank you! I knew I read it somewhere, but I couldn't find it doing a search on Google. I really hope the phones give some clue about this guy. I really don't think they're his, although they could be..I just think they belong to others. I hope one of them is Alexis's and we can get some more info...

I've read on here before that LE can only read the actual text messages if they have the phone...is that true? I could have sworn they could get them through the cell phone company? I don't know a lot about cell phone tracing, anyone have a better idea? TIA.
Here is some interesting information. It looks like only a couple of carriers keep the text content at all, Verizon being only 3-5 days and Virgin Mobile 30-90 days. The rest don't have the actual text, just the details, like who called whom and when.

"If law enforcement is so inclined as to find out, then the "details" of your text messages are conveniently kept by AT&T for "post paid 5 - 7 years;" it does not retain the text message content. Verizon holds onto your text message detail for "1 rolling year" and your actual text content for "3 - 5 days." In case you were wondering, the "details" are like text "call" history which generally includes the date, time, sender's phone number and receiver's phone number. T-Mobile does not retain the message content, but hangs onto your text details for "pre-paid: 2 years; post-paid: 5 years." Sprint and Nextel hold text detail for "18 months" depending upon the device. Virgin Mobile which is owned by Sprint keeps text detail for "60 - 90 days" and the text message content for "90 days {search warrant required with "text of text" request}." Wow, at least one had the decency to mention a warrant is required."

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19016/how_long_does_your_mobile_phone_provider_store_data_for_law_enforcement_access

Her hair could be explained away by knowing her. If there is any other evidence DNA of hers etc... his story is not going to explain it away imo.
BBM: I don't understand this statement. I know a lot of people, but I don't get close enough to most of them to get their hair on me. Conversing in a gas station wouldn't do it. Could you explain what you mean?

Just a wild guess here but they arrested him for abduction and his laywer said it was from a hair found. But if that hair had a death band on it yet had not been to the lab to have testing complete would they arrest him on the lesser charge and bump it up and hold him in jail?

is there a positive confirmation of her phone brand? Yesterday there was discussion it was an iphone or a Galaxy...

my thoughts on her phone is that it was both kinds... her birthday was just back in June... maybe she had one phone in some pics and got the other brand of phone for her birthday? so maybe iPhone in some photos and Galaxy in others? but not sure which one is the most current one she is using?

Question for locals: Do people smoke joints while working in a carwash in that area? Or say, anywhere outside while at work? The sheriff would have a field day if people did that around here, so I was wondering if the culture was different in that area of VA.

TIA.

here is the thing that is bothering me about the whole working in a car wash thing.... the car washes in lovingston are self-service... you know, concrete stalls you pull your car into, you get out, drop a couple of quarters in the slot and then you push a button with one hand with a spray hose in your other hand and hope you get your car covered with soap and rinsed off before your quarters run out.... maybe if your lucky, you can grab the other hose that has a brush at the end, if your a multi-tasker... but to my knowledge, in Lovingston, there is no carwash he could have "worked at" there is a car detailer in the town of Amherst, and another in the town of Madison Heights.. but the one in Amherst is barely every open, and the one in Mad Heights has a bunch of people that are always standing around it and other businesses around it so, no, I dont think you would smoke openly there... but you could certainly smoke openly at the self-service ones in lovingston if nobody was around... I just have a problem with those because he couldnt have "worked" at them... In fact almost ever car wash in nelson county is the drive up and spray it off yourself kind... I think there is 4 or 5 that I can think of off the top of my head... the two in lovingston, one in nellysford, another in Piney River/Roseland.... and Im sure another one or two elsewhere... but to more directly answer your question, weed in nelson depends on your perspective... some times its over looked sometimes its a major bust... nelson, or more specifically, Schuyler, has been on the cover of high times magazine a time or two.. in nelson I would say it is definitely a recreational use county, not a major dealing county... if that makes sense...

BBM: I don't understand this statement. I know a lot of people, but I don't get close enough to most of them to get their hair on me. Conversing in a gas station wouldn't do it. Could you explain what you mean?

It could if she had loose hair and the wind was blowing ,or her seat belt pulled her loose and it fell on the same counter you leaned on. Lot of ways to pick up loose hair.

Here is some interesting information. It looks like only a couple of carriers keep the text content at all, Verizon being only 3-5 days and Virgin Mobile 30-90 days. ..."If law enforcement is so inclined as to find out, then the "details" of your text messages are conveniently kept by AT&T for "post paid 5 - 7 years;" it does not retain the text message content. Verizon holds onto your text message detail for "1 rolling year" and your actual text content for "3 - 5 days."

I can almost put down money that she had Verizon... its the only carrier out her to get a signal... so if they carry content, actual content for 3-5 days, then LE should have hers... correct?

Just a wild guess here but they arrested him for abduction and his laywer said it was from a hair found. But if that hair had a death band on it yet had not been to the lab to have testing complete would they arrest him on the lesser charge and bump it up and hold him in jail?

Ive never heard of a death band.... I can guess what that is but can you give me the real skinny on it?

You mean bump up the charge after the testing is done?

I don't think this is related the the Colonial Parkway Murders. Those were couples and way back in 1986-1989.

It gets very confusing because there have been so many murders that seem to to happen in sprees and follow the highways. When they aren't solved and new people go missing it is instinctive to want to tie them up in a nice wrapper. What happens when you try to research these murders is they all get tied together.

MOO the Colonial Parkway Murders have a strong signature of being couples and thus are not linked to any of these killings.

MOO is that there is likely to be more than serial killer working Rt29 as well. We know (or are 90% sure) that RAT was in jail when ASR was killed and there was a lot of activity by a stalker during that three month period. But then there seems to be a long quiet period along Rt29 that didn't pick up again until 2008. I think there is more than one killer working Rt29

I agree with a lot of your observations. I am far from sure that Randy Allen Taylor has anything to do with the Route 29 Stalker case, and think it is a real long shot that he is responsible for the Colonial Parkway Murders. He is 48 years old,however, and if he a murder it is not likely that he started in 2010 at age 45.

What most people don't know is that there is nothing in the forensics that links any of the Colonial Parkway Murders, either. There have to be links there somewhere in all of these unsolved cases. Otherwise that means that potentially dozens of different people have gotten away with murder in Central Virginia over the last 26 years. That in and of itself is a pretty scary thought.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

I can almost put down money that she had Verizon... its the only carrier out her to get a signal... so if they carry content, actual content for 3-5 days, then LE should have hers... correct?

Ive never heard of a death band.... I can guess what that is but can you give me the real skinny on it?
You didn't ask me, but I know something about this. This explains it pretty well:

BBM
"The defense presented the testimony of hair comparison expert Dr. Peter DeForest. Dr. DeForest testified that the hairs found in Restivo’s van displayed “advanced banding,” a condition caused by bacteria eating away at the interior of the hair shaft. Advanced banding occurs only after death and only when the hair is still attached to the decomposing body, meaning that the victim could not have deposited the hairs while she was alive and supposedly in Restivo’s van.
"

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/Dennis_Halstead.php

Some more information here:
http://forensics4writers.com/postmortem-hair-banding-evidence/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics