Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Morgan's phone found? This week, or back at the time?

I think it was found the day after she disappeared. It wasn't long after she disappeared.

An update from NBC29:

The FBI is unclear about whether an active search will resume Friday, but still considers the search a rescue mission and not a recovery mission.

http://ht.ly/nYr5m

I am sure this is wishful thinking. But unless they know otherwise I guess they have no choice.

It was found the Sunday morning after she went missing in the parking lot by the sports stadium at John Paul Jones Arena. It was in or by her purse with the battery missing.

Back, iirc, when they found her purse. I had to go back and look as I couldn't remember but her Camera is still missing.

It was found the Sunday morning after she went missing in the parking lot by the sports stadium at John Paul Jones Arena. It was in or by her purse with the battery missing.
Thank you, I knew something was not right about her phone.

Now, with AM's phone it is much harder to pull a battery on an IPhone. Much easier to destroy it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the FBI was involved so quickly? Did they know RAT was involved early on and they got involved because the possibility of a serial killer? If not, why!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone posted the crime log for Nelson for the three or so days leading up to AM's disappearance - I noticed there were quite a few Alarms that went off on the day that Alexis disappeared.

(Aug. 3

Welfare check, Crabtree Falls Highway; Follow up, Lynchburg; Miscellaneous call, Thomas Nelson Highway; Disorder, Tye River Road; Traffic accident, Monocan Drive; Traffic complaint, Allens Creek Road; Traffic accident, Thomas Nelson Highway; Walk-in complaint, Courthouse Square; Walk-in complaint, Courthouse Square; Reckless driving, Berry Hill Road; Commercial alarm, Rockfish Valley Highway; Transport, Complex; Residential alarm, Craigtown Road; Disabled vehicle, Rockfish Valley Highway; Residential alarm, Winery Lane; Residential alarm, Old Turnpike Road; Commercial alarm, Thomas Nelson Highway; 20 traffic stops)

I remember while we searched for RAT's background and were still awaiting official confirmation there was another commercial fire alarm that went off on Front St. Apparently someone verified that it was a false alarm. It was a Sunday night. Sometimes people set off alarms to divert attention away from an area where they are committing a crime.
http://www.newsadvance.com/nelson_c...cle_0de4c79a-0508-11e3-a8b2-001a4bcf6878.html

Naturally, I wonder if the many alarm calls, on Aug 3, 2013 were intentionally set off by someone who wanted attention drawn away from something.

Was it more alarms than usual for a similar period of time? It just seems like a lot of work and a lot of chances to get caught on surveillance.

Just caught up on all this news and I'm furious about this story he has spun. It is such bs. All he is trying to do is make AM look bad. He just happened to be near both these girls right before they went missing? He is a total sociopath. Unreal!!!

Just another reason I am glad I didn't become a defense attorney. How on earth do you sleep at night when you pretend to buy this ridiculous story? I am sooo mad right now...ok I'm done.

There was an announcement this afternoon that the investigation was being run from the FBI headquarters and all further announcements would be from the FBI, who didn't plan to hold any press conferences. I'm sorry, I can't stay logged on long enough to find the reference and this is my third attempt to post even this much reply :p

I know local LE often invites the FBI in. Their presence alone isn't unusual. But they usually work behind the scenes. This obvious presence as the lead agency was what struck me as unusual. But maybe it's just because so many agencies have to be coordinated.

I wasn't aware that any of the Colonial Parkway murders had taken place on Federal land -- thanks. I know very little about them beyond the one article in The Hook and what you've said here.

Carbuff:

First, I am a car buff, too, and yours is a great handle. For my own handle I use something very close to my home e-mail address to make myself easier to find, so that if people have tips in the Colonial Parkway Murders case they can contact me. That is also why I sign most of posts.

At this point, my personal opinion is that FBI has plenty of reasons to step in on the Alexis Murphy, for all the reasons I outlined. Here are a two more:

1) There is no question that the Samantha Clarke case was very badly handled by county law enforcement. You could say botched. That cannot happen again.

2) By my estimation, there are a dozen or more unsolved murders in Virginia over the last 26 years, and that is probably a very low estimate. Virginia State Police and local law enforcement clearly need help.

Before you start thinking that I think the FBI is somehow 'better' than VSP or local/county law enforcement, remember that the FBI is the agency that has not been able to tell us who killed my sister and her friend for 27 years this October. I have said plenty about the Federal Bureau of Investigation, on camera and on the record, that is way less than flattering to the FBI. It is more about resources.

The Colonial Parkway Murders is a fascinating case (it is actually four separate cases), and there is a lot about the case available online.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

How is searching through woods and fields going to locate a live Alexis? I kind of get annoyed by LE saying they are considering this a rescue. If so, you would think they would be breaking down doors somewhere. Even if she had been left tied up in a cave or something, she would not be alive after this long, iMO. I just don't like LE giving familes false hope unless they have a reason.

This is my first post but I have been lurking since Morgan Harrington's disappearance. Anyway, a few pages back I had the thought that maybe Alexis somehow knew Randy's son through her younger brother or younger family members? I knew kids way younger than me growing up because I would see them at birthday parties, etc. Just a random thought I had :)

I have doubts about Alexis having much if any contact with the son. I just don't see a high school girl interacting with a middle school boy. Alexis is popular and unless times have changed, older girls don't usually interact with boys that much younger than them. Why would they? Or, in better words, can anyone maybe come up with a reason why? I'm always open to others theories and opinions.

I apologize ahead of time because I am not caught up on threads. But doesn't AM have a younger brother? How old is he? Might he be in the same class and even friends with RAT's son?

This is my first post but I have been lurking since Morgan Harrington's disappearance. Anyway, a few pages back I had the thought that maybe Alexis somehow knew Randy's son through her younger brother or younger family members? I knew kids way younger than me growing up because I would see them at birthday parties, etc. Just a random thought I had :)

:wagon: CherryLane! :welcome:

Good thought about family sibling connections!

:seeya:

Search dogs are being trained to sniff out all sorts these days. I read somewhere that they have unique nose prints, like we have unique fingerprints and that they have hundreds of individual smell receptors in their nose.
I'm going to guess these particular dogs have been trained to sniff out the precious metals used in cell phones.

This may have already been mentioned, but do we know where those phones were found? They could be trophies.

The phones could be RAT's old phones. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a box of old phones in my closet after years of upgrading.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the FBI was involved so quickly? Did they know RAT was involved early on and they got involved because the possibility of a serial killer? If not, why!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Orange county called Nelson county seeking information or requesting assistance in Samantha Clarks case. So Nelson county might have felt it needed to call the FBI due to his accusations against Orange county and even more so if they helped with any part of surveillance or gps tracking in that case.

The phones could be RAT's old phones. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a box of old phones in my closet after years of upgrading.

I do too, but I just can't see someone throwing all of their phones into a gully each time they get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli