Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I agree on the defense strategy, it's his explanation for evidence linking her to him.
But I'm not too sure if it can be considered "character assassination" when he admits taking part in it himself. As people said, smoking pot is not that bad, even legal in some states. Now, if he would've claimed that she prostituted herself and that's how she ended up in her trailer, and CRD being her pimp or next john or whatever, yeah, I'd agree. But pot? Nah.
:moo:

I guess I should have been more clear: I think the lawyer is going to try to assassinate her character at trial. I guess I still have ptsd from the character assassination tactics used by the defense in the Jodi Arias trial!

Ok, I live south of nelson, but va is a conservative bible beating state when you get outside the dc area. This is not colorado or california. Smoking weed publicly outside a car wash in broad daylight is no somthing you would see. I don't buy it at all!

Why is there anger about the age difference and not the pot? Well, as one who has raised two teenage daughters I can give my opinion on that. I'd have been much less upset finding out my daughters were smoking pot at 17 than I would have been if I found out some local guy old enough to be her father was striking up a conversation with her at the local gas station or car wash about pot. There is something very off about it. And predators often try to find something in common with their victims. I'd be suspicious of ANY 40 something man making conversation with a 17 year old aside from a cursory "hello miss, how are you today?" (And I may even be suspicious of that!) especially if he was not a family friend. That may be just me, but that's my honest take on it.

Great point.

the word *alive* is not in the article, what it says is he told his lawyer he was not the last person to see Alexis Murphy..If you have another article where the word ALIVE is added I would Love to see it. I.also put this in the wrong spot should have went under rva13 post sorry

Why is there anger about the age difference and not the pot? Well, as one who has raised two teenage daughters I can give my opinion on that. I'd have been much less upset finding out my daughters were smoking pot at 17 than I would have been if I found out some local guy old enough to be her father was striking up a conversation with her at the local gas station or car wash about pot. There is something very off about it. And predators often try to find something in common with their victims. I'd be suspicious of ANY 40 something man making conversation with a 17 year old aside from a cursory "hello miss, how are you today?" (And I may even be suspicious of that!) especially if he was not a family friend. That may be just me, but that's my honest take on it.

Totally agree, great post!

the word *alive* is not in the article, what is says is he told his lawyer he was not the last person to see Alexis Murphy..If you have another article where the word ALIVE is added I would Love to see it

Yes, I am not sure he was quoted as saying "alive" - if I find anything I will share. But I am sure it was recorded so LE know exactly what he said.

my thoughts on her phone is that it was both kinds... her birthday was just back in June... maybe she had one phone in some pics and got the other brand of phone for her birthday? so maybe iPhone in some photos and Galaxy in others? but not sure which one is the most current one she is using?

My guess would be that she has an Iphone and the Galaxy wasn't hers, just showing how the new S4 works. By "new" I took it showing the recently released S4, not "new" as in HER new phone. IMO, in the video, it sounded like she was in a school cafeteria or classroom based on the background noise . Usually people have either an Iphone OR an Android. Not saying it isn't possible but those are 2 completely different OS.

Some of the media outlets have used the phrase "attorney says Taylor not the last one to see her alive" (paraphrasing there) but I am not sure those were his words. I can't find the link to an article where he was quoted but even that isn't proof. Media misquote all the time.

the word *alive* is not in the article, what it says is he told his lawyer he was not the last person to see Alexis Murphy..If you have another article where the word ALIVE is added I would Love to see it. I.also put this in the wrong spot should have went under rva13 post sorry

Perhaps the news agencies are taking liberties, but this is one article that used that phrase....I know there were others too.

http://wtvr.com/2013/08/15/suspect-claims-drug-dealer-alexis-murphy-left-house-together/

I'm trying to find the lawyers exact words, but can't. So it could be that the news agency was adding drama.

Just bringing this forward from prior thread, the original media writeup of RT's defense story. Some of the details are starting to get blurred a bit. (For example, I don't think he claimed to WORK at the carwash, although we're still relying on his story being interpreted by the local media.)

http://www.nbc29.com/story/23140117/through-attorney-randy-taylor-tells-his-story

I agree, people are getting confused. Of course NG reporting he worked at the auto place across from his house doesnt help things. Its actually very frustrating to me. :banghead:

I guess I should have been more clear: I think the lawyer is going to try to assassinate her character at trial. I guess I still have ptsd from the character assassination tactics used by the defense in the Jodi Arias trial!

You are correct.

However, as it stands right now, it is only about pot smoking. The attorney will use her posts online about pot to show that Alexis was at RAT's for a pot deal. I don't think her online presence leads to anything nefarious or bad, like being a prostitute or anything. I don't think those that knew her (if her lawyer is drumming up witnesses) will say she was into anything bad either. She looks like a good kid to me. So, as far as I see, pot is all there is. It is not bad, it is simply to say, "RAT is right, the kid smokes, she came to his camper to make a pot deal." HTH.

However, the attorney has quickly shut up. This means something is up, something found that connects RAT in more than a pot way. Probably the phones found, but he may know more.

**I got interrupted with work, so if this rambles, now you know why.

Teenage girls, especially shy ones, just do not speak to "sketchy", scary looking strangers. I'm not buying it.

Just bringing this forward from prior thread, the original media writeup of RT's defense story. Some of the details are starting to get blurred a bit. (For example, I don't think he claimed to WORK at the carwash, although we're still relying on his story being interpreted by the local media.)

http://www.nbc29.com/story/23140117/through-attorney-randy-taylor-tells-his-story

Agreed. My mind interpreted it as him claiming he ran into her at the car wash in lovingston, which is self service, rather than a place he worked at.

Just as another reference point, RT explicitly states AM didn't smoke or drink with them, he makes it sound like she was merely a go-between. I realize that 'arranging a pot deal' doesn't look that awesome either, and he may just be trying to avoid a contributing to delinquency of minor (or legal terms to that effect?) charge if he DID say he gave her a beer or shared pot with her.

The family and a former FBI investigator chimed in today on the defense lawyer's description of what Taylor said was the reason she was in his trailer. Both are not buying most of the story either... just like us. Taylor probably told 60% truth in his depiction... but investigators will tear his story apart given some time.. I just hope it doesn't detract too much from the main thrust of the investigation!

Here is the link the the Roanoke Times article this Friday morning:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2154238...ly-skeptical-of-abduction-suspects-story.html

Hallahan is just as much of a creep as his client! I'm not a big fan of slime ball lawyers in case you can't tell.... :moo::twocents:

But what can a brand new lawyer do other than believe his client when he first hears their story. Sorry, but it's their job to defend (even the indefensible).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee