Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the FBI will have a problem figuring out if RAT had any contact with Alexis via SM.

If we took SM completely out of the picture as it doesn't exist though, does anyone really feel that RAT would not have abducted girls/young women???

Does anyone feel if the entire female population didn't give him the time of day or interact with him, he wouldn't have still abducted women?

Some predators use tactics because it works for them. It doesn't mean if the tactic doesn't work they won't change their approach, even to the point of breaking into homes and taking what they want.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we can try and find reasons all day for what the victim does to expose themselves to predators, but it's not going to stop or prevent predators from preying on victims regardless of the actions of the victim.

Victims and their actions don't create sexual predators.

I realize this discussion is about Alexis and why he chose her, so please don't be to hard on me. I'm still on my first cup of coffee. I'm going to the zoo today to enjoy the "beautiful" animals of the world. I'll check in later.

NBC29 (@NBC29) tweeted at 9:16 PM on Sat, Sep 14, 2013:
The families of two young women abducted in central Virginia met for the first time to help save the next girl. http://t.co/PT9voStmvB

Just went back to the first thread to read up.

snipped by me for space

So, I am thinking RAT did follow those tweets and that is how he formed his "story." He thinks the story is perfectly acceptable and verifiable.

Also noticed it was stated her car was found 1/2 mile from where she worked. That would suggest being familiar with all of her social media telling her every move. I've said this a zillion times, if you have a cell phone and social media accounts, no matter your age, do not post your every move! Not where you are going, not where you live, not where you work, nothing! I'm not just saying to tell it to your underage loved ones, I'm saying it for adults too.

Jumping off this comment, I'd like to add: If you're sending photos or videos to others with your cell phone TURN OFF the geo tagging option before you take the picture. Often the default setting will embed GPS information in the photo (EXIF Data). Some services filter information, but if you upload photos from your camera, you run the risk of putting your personal information into the hands of whoever can access those pictures: ie. a personal address, phone number(s), even where the room you shot the picture in is in your house.

On a TV show I watched that was demonstrating how easy it was to do this, a woman (one of the show's producers) shot a photo of her kids in their bedroom. The guys doing the demonstration were able in seconds to have her home address, phone number, and could determine exactly where her childrens' bedroom was located in her house. Apparently, FaceBook and other services have been doing some filtering, but you have to check.

IOW, the information someone might be finding from the photos you're sending isn't limited to what is in the photo itself--it's where you are, where you've been, who you were with--it ties you to a habit of usage that could show a stalker where you regularly go. Your school. Your home. Your place of business. Your favourite stores. Another reason to go home by different routes, leave at different times--when you can.

I guess what I'm also inferring is that if a suspected stalker had access to photos, like in a blog, and could download the right app to get that GPS information, it would be very easy to figure out where he could "accidentally" find the person he was stalking. I'm wondering what LE has found out about the apps on RAT's computer, or cell phone, etc.

For more information, google geotagging privacy issues. Here are two sites I found informative:

http://icanstalku.com/how.php
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1IHRY4xPY"]GeoTracking & EXIF Data: What your photos may be telling others about your location - YouTube[/ame]

@wendiesan - Great information on geotagging. Most people are probably not aware that Smartphones have automatic geotagging. I checked the camera settings on my Samsung Galaxy cellphone. Geotagging shows off. I must have chosen not to have geotagging during the initial set up of my phone.

Jumping off this comment, I'd like to add: If you're sending photos or videos to others with your cell phone TURN OFF the geo tagging option before you take the picture. Often the default setting will embed GPS information in the photo (EXIF Data). Some services filter information, but if you upload photos from your camera, you run the risk of putting your personal information into the hands of whoever can access those pictures: ie. a personal address, phone number(s), even where the room you shot the picture in is in your house.

On a TV show I watched that was demonstrating how easy it was to do this, a woman (one of the show's producers) shot a photo of her kids in their bedroom. The guys doing the demonstration were able in seconds to have her home address, phone number, and could determine exactly where her childrens' bedroom was located in her house. Apparently, FaceBook and other services have been doing some filtering, but you have to check.

IOW, the information someone might be finding from the photos you're sending isn't limited to what is in the photo itself--it's where you are, where you've been, who you were with--it ties you to a habit of usage that could show a stalker where you regularly go. Your school. Your home. Your place of business. Your favourite stores. Another reason to go home by different routes, leave at different times--when you can.

I guess what I'm also inferring is that if a suspected stalker had access to photos, like in a blog, and could download the right app to get that GPS information, it would be very easy to figure out where he could "accidentally" find the person he was stalking. I'm wondering what LE has found out about the apps on RAT's computer, or cell phone, etc.

For more information, google geotagging privacy issues. Here are two sites I found informative:

http://icanstalku.com/how.php
GeoTracking & EXIF Data: What your photos may be telling others about your location - YouTube

Thank you!

I don't have a cell phone, duh, probably need one. But I am happy to see those with more accurate knowledge posting about it.

There are apps too. I've seen shows on them. I don't have the knowledge to pass along.

I would also guess your own home computer is the same, being that most browers now have an option to tick "Do not track" (which is useless) and I know emails can be tracked in some manner, but again, I lack the technical knowledge.

Stay safe everyone.

Happy to see that Alexis' family and MH's family are getting together. More info out there. More push to resolve cases, more knowledge to everyone.

While looking for more info on Alexis' SM and to see if there was Geotracking on her photos, I stumbled on a very informative sight. It details the demography of her synched SM (Twitter, Instagram, Ask, Kik, Vine, etc) The sight breaks down who communicated with her and who she communicated with. There are several subpages that go into great detail as to who, when, and how the communication took place.
The sight that compiles all the data is called twtrland:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c..._+&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

One page, "People that Talk to Alexis," shows exactly who had conversations with her. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c..._+&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It is important to note that it shows that there were viewers who were not followers.

wow! thanks JustK

wow! thanks JustK

I missed JustK's post.

Peeps, it gets worse than that. Just look it up.

If you put apps on your phone, anyone can track. I forgot which ones.

If geo location is enabled, anyone can find you, not just LE.

If anyone uses your phone, say in a bathroom, gas station, Courthouse, restaurant, or a trusted friend, they can put apps on your phone that even you cannot find. They are secret. Like corporations (or any job) that puts on software to log your every key click or move, and you cannot find it on your assigned computer. Same with your home computer. Nothing is private digitally. Not even our new HD t.v.s even if you don't have cable.

Don't think this is what happened to Alexis. I think she had so much out there, probably just for popularity clicks, and really had no idea.

Please someone find her, is it hunting season yet there?!

Well I know I can track all the people that follow my accounts so I'm sure the FBI has a way of tracking the frequency of specific users (maybe RAT?) viewing her social media accounts...

Praying they'll be able to get a murder charge and conviction even if they find no body. I wish they would give a press conference, but doubt they will. So sad for the family... the not knowing... ugh!!!

Considering the location, I wonder if this is related? BBM
Appomattox Co., VA – There is heavy police activity on Route 460 in Appomattox County Monday morning.

About a dozen officers with K-9 units have been searching the side of 460 for hours, mainly near the 460 business exit.

According to State Police, this search is related to an investigation in another jurisdiction.

We are still working on finding out exactly which investigation that is and its connection to our area.

Stay with ABC 13 and wset.com for the very latest.

http://www.wset.com/story/23442669/state-police-k-9-units-searching-area-of-460-in-appomattox-co

I guess not
Appomattox Co., VA – There is heavy police activity on Route 460 in Appomattox County Monday morning.

About a dozen officers with K-9 units have been searching the side of 460 for hours, mainly near the 460 business exit.

The activity has nothing to do with Alexis Murphy or Virginia Edmonds, State Police say.

According to State Police, this search is related to an investigation in another jurisdiction.

We are still working on finding out exactly which investigation that is and its connection to our area.

Stay with ABC 13 and wset.com for the very latest.

When is the grand Jury hearing? Was it in mid October or something like that? Are grand jury "details" sealed or are they public?

Grand Jury is sealed. We may see something in the press about it being held, or what the results of it are, but no details on the crime, IMO.

So we should have some focus back on this case next week, even if nothing is revealed. I just like to keep her name out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95