Victim: Megan Waterman, 22, missing June 2010, found Gilgo Beach Dec 2010 *Rex Heuermann charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cruz whines!

A Brooklyn man convicted of pimping a hooker who was later slain by a Long Island serial killer wants a judge to go easy on him because he once bedded a much older woman.

Akeem Cruz claims he turned out bad in part because he was involved in a “full-on-love relationship” with a 37-year-old woman when he was just 17, according to court papers. Cruz, 23, is angling for a sentence of time served so he can walk out of Brooklyn Federal Court a free man Friday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...d-older-woman-article-1.1232769#ixzz2Gzqt3GDp

** Wasn't sure where to post this so please let me know if this is the wrong thread.

This piece of human garbage cant wait to get back to sex and drug trafficing. These days its either the daddy did it defense or i dont have a daddy defense.

Akeem has two rather weighty charges to deal with:
Drug Trafficking
Promoting Prostitution (Human trafficking ought to be the charge since he and Mr Blake lured the woman and moved them across State lines. They targeted single mothers and then "allegedly" used threats against the children and other family members to keep the woman in line.)

The courts need to take a stand. AK made a choice to be a pimp and drug dealer.

Newsday > Long Island

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...waterman-s-pimp-sentenced-to-prison-1.4406818

Gilgo victim Megan Waterman's pimp sentenced to prison
Originally published: January 4, 2013 2:00 PM
Updated: January 4, 2013 2:07 PM
By JOHN RILEY john.riley@newsday.com

The pimp who ushered Gilgo Beach victim Megan Waterman to her last meeting with a client was sentenced to 3 years in prison on Friday for federal prostitution offenses.

U.S. District Judge Edward Korman said that Akeem Cruz, 23, of Brooklyn, deserved to get more than the 18- to 24-month range called for by federal sentencing guidelines and Brooklyn federal prosecutors, even though he was not charged with having anything to do with her killing.

"He's not responsible for the murder, but he put her in the zone of danger," Korman said. "I don't think a sentence of 24 months is high enough to deter others or to reflect the seriousness of the offense."
Cruz was accused of transporting Waterman, also his girlfriend, to a Hauppauge motel in June 2010 for an act of prostitution. Authorities have said that he spoke to her on his cellphone around 1:30 a.m. on June 6, and security videos at the motel showed her leaving at that time.

The body of Waterman, 22, of Scarborough, Me., was subsequently discovered along a desolate stretch of Gilgo Beach on Dec. 13, along with other bodies in the same area. Officials believe she and other prostitutes were victims of a serial killer.

Cruz, imprisoned since January 2012 on charges of interstate transportation for the purpose of prostitution, expressed remorse, and said he had lost a person he loved.

"I want to send my regrets and condolences to the deceased's family," he told Korman. "I know there's nothing I can do to bring her back. . . . I'm sorry. I truly am sorry. I've got to live the rest of my life with this regret."

Letters to Korman from Waterman's mother and her aunt, who is caring for the deceased woman's child, called on the judge to impose a harsh sentence. Waterman's mother, Lorraine Ela Waterman, said Cruz had used violence against her daughter, which Cruz has denied. Prosecutors said there was no evidence to support that claim.

"She became a pawn in a game that only benefited men who used her for the sole purpose of their financial gain," Waterman's mother wrote.

I find it weird that she got a phonecall from him and the was seen leaving hotel. I lean towards her being told to leave the hotel to meet a client that was set up by Cruz. It could be a coincidence. Maybe he will divulge something, he probably does not want to be in jail.

Pimp pleads guilty to transporting hookers across state lines — including one killed by LI serial killer
Akeem Cruz Faces 37 to 46 months in prison

Comments (4)
BY JOHN MARZULLI / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

SUFFOLK COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
Craigslist hooker Megan Waterman is one of 10 victims of a Long Island serial killer.

The pimp of a Craigslist hooker slain by a serial killer pleaded guilty Wednesday to interstate trafficking of prostitutes.

Akeem Cruz admitted driving two women from Maine to New York City for the purpose of prostitution between March 2009 and August 2010. The Brooklyn pimp faces 37 to 46 months when he's sentenced for the federal charge.

One of the women, Megan Waterman, went missing in June 2010. Investigators discovered her remains in Gilgo Beach, L.I., in December 2010.

The Maine resident is one of 10 victims of a Long Island serial killer who left their bodies along Suffolk County beaches, police say.

Cruz had posted many craigslist ads advertising Waterman's sexual services and is believed to be one of the last people to see her alive before pimping her out at a Holiday Inn Express in Hauppauge, L.I.

Defense lawyer Susan Kellman said Cruz had nothing to do with the Waterman's death.

"If he did, he wouldn't be facing only three years in prison," Kellman said.

Robert Blake, a co-defendant of Cruz named in the indictment in Brooklyn Federal Court, is still facing sex trafficking charges.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...serial-killer-article-1.1059975#ixzz2H32ezl87

Pimp pleads guilty to transporting hookers across state lines — including one killed by LI serial killer
Akeem Cruz Faces 37 to 46 months in prison

Comments (4)
BY JOHN MARZULLI / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

SUFFOLK COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
Craigslist hooker Megan Waterman is one of 10 victims of a Long Island serial killer.

The pimp of a Craigslist hooker slain by a serial killer pleaded guilty Wednesday to interstate trafficking of prostitutes.

Akeem Cruz admitted driving two women from Maine to New York City for the purpose of prostitution between March 2009 and August 2010. The Brooklyn pimp faces 37 to 46 months when he's sentenced for the federal charge.

One of the women, Megan Waterman, went missing in June 2010. Investigators discovered her remains in Gilgo Beach, L.I., in December 2010.

The Maine resident is one of 10 victims of a Long Island serial killer who left their bodies along Suffolk County beaches, police say.

Cruz had posted many craigslist ads advertising Waterman's sexual services and is believed to be one of the last people to see her alive before pimping her out at a Holiday Inn Express in Hauppauge, L.I.

Defense lawyer Susan Kellman said Cruz had nothing to do with the Waterman's death.

"If he did, he wouldn't be facing only three years in prison," Kellman said.

Robert Blake, a co-defendant of Cruz named in the indictment in Brooklyn Federal Court, is still facing sex trafficking charges.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...serial-killer-article-1.1059975#ixzz2H32ezl87

He was sentenced to 3 years and he has already served 12 months. He will be scheduled to be in prison for only 24 more months but since he has been convicted of a crime that is classified as non-violent he will be eligible for early release as soon as July 1st of this year under the Federal Prison Early Release Program that has been enacted to combat prison over-crowding and to reduce the economic costs of providing inmates with healthcare.

The man could be out pimping girls again by this Summer (only this time he will be a wiser criminal).

I find it weird that she got a phonecall from him and the was seen leaving hotel. I lean towards her being told to leave the hotel to meet a client that was set up by Cruz. It could be a coincidence. Maybe he will divulge something, he probably does not want to be in jail.

Cruz and the victim check into a hotel that appears to cater to prostitutes. One would think there is no need to leave the premises to meet a client. The room is bought and paid for and it offers the best security for the gal.

Now if this arrangement was more than a one on one transaction it would mean the gal had to meet someone because there may have been a party organized. She is comfortable with the arrangement to the point she leaves her cell phone behind. It suggests to me she thinks she knows the client or the type of situation she is entering into. She is going to meet some 'respectable' people. She believes a lot of guys are chipping in for her services and she stands to make a nice bit of money.

Why leave the hotel when everything is already there to complete the job?

Cruz and the victim check into a hotel that appears to cater to prostitutes. One would think there is no need to leave the premises to meet a client. The room is bought and paid for and it offers the best security for the gal.

Now if this arrangement was more than a one on one transaction it would mean the gal had to meet someone because there may have been a party organized. She is comfortable with the arrangement to the point she leaves her cell phone behind. It suggests to me she thinks she knows the client or the type of situation she is entering into. She is going to meet some 'respectable' people. She believes a lot of guys are chipping in for her services and she stands to make a nice bit of money.

It was brought out today in court today that Akeem has done NOTHING with law enforcement to help with this case. NOTHING. He's been arrogant and full of himself. He's NEVER been remorseful or owned up to his part of ruining Megan's life.

and today in court.
it was said - via the mom....that
akeem called her at 1:30 - literally at 1:30
and she was seen leaving the hotel at 1:30

he was calling to make sure she was going to her appointment.
therefore - the judge took into consideration that akeem put her
in DIRECT line of danger. Akeem did not kill her - but it was because
of Akeem putting her in the line of danger that she was murdered.

The judge was wracking his brain to find someway to keep Akeem behind bars for a long long time, but he must abide by the laws on the books. Three years it is - and he SAID - HE WILL SERVE 2 1/2 YEARS and be on probation for 3 years under the Attorney General when he gets out.

And folks that's IF he gets out in 2 1/2 years..there are all sorts of fist fights, razors, shanks, and other assorted sundry troublesome things for a arrogant 23 year old like Akeem to find himself in the middle of....only to make sure he gets new charges IN prison - to KEEP HIM IN PRISON for a long long time.

<modsnip>

We see this happen all of the time...

The sentencing judge makes a statement about how the maximum sentence he or she can put forward is not enough justice deserving of the crimes committed by the felon...

That same judge looks the victim's family members in the eyes with a reassuring glance that he will do everything within his powers to sign a sentence that will keep the felon behind bars the entire sentence...

Same judge looks the felon in the eyes and with a stern voice reads him his decision...

Deep inside the felon is holding back his urge to laugh at the judge and all of the court onlookers because from the experiences of his friends he knows all too well that whatever the judge states in court is usually mostly a dramatic show for the media, the court onlookers and a delivery of a message meant to be received by every scum on the streets that WHEN you are caught you WILL be prosecuting and you will SERVE your sentence as handed to you by said judge...

Very quietly all attention turns to the next felon; the next big case; the next one the spotlight while ever so quietly behind the scenes a felon like Akeem plays the system ever so perfectly because he (and all others like him who have been in his shoes before) know very well that the judge has ZERO say over the politics of prison population control and the measures that our government must take in order to maintain an affordable and manageable criminal justice inmate system...

Very quietly a felon like Akeem will exercise his legal right to participate in the various early release programs available to him including the substance abuse treatment program and the good behavior program. The 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act allows Akeem to become eligible for up to a one year early release if he agrees to enroll in the prison's Residential Drug Abuse Program (RDAP). Inmates like Akeem are fully aware that their sentencing judge has no legal jurisdiction to prevent inmates like him from exercising their right to seek a drug-free lifestyle while at the same time earn themselves the 12 month early release that is awarded to those who successfully complete the program...

Very quietly a felon like Akeem will learn how he can become eligible for Good Time Allowances- reductions in his sentence for being a good boy and not fighting with his fellow inmates and for not spitting on the correction officers who run his prison every chance that he can. Once again, he will learn that despite all those threatening promises made in the courtroom, there will be absolutely nothing that his sentencing judge will be able to do about the early time allowance he will start to earn. Very quickly the days he earns will turn into weeks and those weeks will turn into months...

All of this is the reality of our overcrowded, over-budget federal prison system. I am not really sure if this is the place to debate this reality. If it is I will be more than happy to provide you with some startling statistics on how many thousands of inmates are released each year from Federal prison despite the promises made by their sentencing judge that they will have to serve their entire sentences.

Not so complicated right? Almost seems CORRECT. Although I would not go as far as you..I would say she got a call, was given direction, walked out of the hotel, met the perspn(s) she was supposed to meet, and then well......

We see this happen all of the time...

The sentencing judge makes a statement about how the maximum sentence he or she can put forward is not enough justice deserving of the crimes committed by the felon...

That same judge looks the victim's family members in the eyes with a reassuring glance that he will do everything within his powers to sign a sentence that will keep the felon behind bars the entire sentence...

Same judge looks the felon in the eyes and with a stern voice reads him his decision...

Deep inside the felon is holding back his urge to laugh at the judge and all of the court onlookers because from the experiences of his friends he knows all too well that whatever the judge states in court is usually mostly a dramatic show for the media, the court onlookers and a delivery of a message meant to be received by every scum on the streets that WHEN you are caught you WILL be prosecuting and you will SERVE your sentence as handed to you by said judge...

Very quietly all attention turns to the next felon; the next big case; the next one the spotlight while ever so quietly behind the scenes a felon like Akeem plays the system ever so perfectly because he (and all others like him who have been in his shoes before) know very well that the judge has ZERO say over the politics of prison population control and the measures that our government must take in order to maintain an affordable and manageable criminal justice inmate system...

Very quietly a felon like Akeem will exercise his legal right to participate in the various early release programs available to him including the substance abuse treatment program and the good behavior program. The 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act allows Akeem to become eligible for up to a one year early release if he agrees to enroll in the prison's Residential Drug Abuse Program (RDAP). Inmates like Akeem are fully aware that their sentencing judge has no legal jurisdiction to prevent inmates like him from exercising their right to seek a drug-free lifestyle while at the same time earn themselves the 12 month early release that is awarded to those who successfully complete the program...

Very quietly a felon like Akeem will learn how he can become eligible for Good Time Allowances- reductions in his sentence for being a good boy and not fighting with his fellow inmates and for not spitting on the correction officers who run his prison every chance that he can. Once again, he will learn that despite all those threatening promises made in the courtroom, there will be absolutely nothing that his sentencing judge will be able to do about the early time allowance he will start to earn. Very quickly the days he earns will turn into weeks and those weeks will turn into months...

All of this is the reality of our overcrowded, over-budget federal prison system. I am not really sure if this is the place to debate this reality. If it is I will be more than happy to provide you with some startling statistics on how many thousands of inmates are released each year from Federal prison despite the promises made by their sentencing judge that they will have to serve their entire sentences.

I have to say, regardless of how you feel about this case......That is the <Mod Snip>truth, and thats a really good post.

I have to say, regardless of how you feel about this case......That is the god damn truth, and thats a really good post.

Theres no truth in sentencing. This is clear to those who are attorneys, those who work in LE and victims. The man who came into my place while we were all in bed NEVER SEARVED A DAY? And its not because he wasnt caught.

Theres no truth in sentencing. This is clear to those who are attorneys, those who work in LE and victims. The man who came into my place while we were all in bed NEVER SEARVED A DAY? And its not because he wasnt caught.

I agree. As PS149 just said, the sentencing is all a dramatic show put on for the family and media to make it appear like the convict has been given a harsh punishment.

As far as actual time he will serve, well we all went through this same argument when Case Anthony was sentenced. Everyone forgets that whatever length of time the judge sets as the sentence, the length of time that the defendant spent waiting in jail for the trial must be deducted to give the actual net time remaining to be served. In Casey's case, she was given four years but since she had been waiting in jail for just over three years and she earned those credits for good behavior, she was released within a week or so after her conviction hearing.

Cruz has been in prison since January 2012. The maximum sentence for his crimes was supposed to be 18 to 24 months (source). The judge went above those maximum federal guidelines and sentenced him to 3 years.

3 years minus the 1 year he already has been in prison = 2 years.

2 years minus the 1 year he can earn if he enrolls in the program to kick his drug addiction = 1 year.

1 year minus any additional credited days he can earn for good behavior could = 6 to 8 months total net time left to serve in prison.

The math does work that he could be back in Maine recruiting again before the end of summertime.

So sick.

Our justice system is horrible. :furious:

3 years for pimp of slay vic
By JOSH SAUL
Last Updated: 4:18 AM, January 5, 2013
Posted: 1:17 AM, January 5, 2013

The Brooklyn man convicted of pimping out a woman killed by the Gilgo Beach serial killer was hit with a sentence a year longer than what Brooklyn federal prosecutors requested.

Prosecutors asked that Akeem Cruz, 23, get 1 1/2 to two years in prison, but the judge slapped him with three years instead.

“He’s not directly responsible for her murder, but he put her in the zone of danger,” Judge Edward Korman said before handing down the harsh sentence. “It seems to me that the 24 months are not sufficient.”

Cruz had previously pleaded guilty to trafficking women from Maine to New York so they could work as prostitutes. He was with one of those women, Megan Waterman, on the 2010 night she disappeared from a Long Island hotel.

Waterman was later found dead along with nine other bodies on a deserted Long Island beach. Authorities believe most of the murders are the work of a serial killer who targeted prostitutes.

NY CRIME
January 4, 2013,
8:46 p.m. ET
Gilgo Beach Pimp Sentenced

By PERVAIZ SHALLWANI

A Brooklyn man who pleaded guilty to driving prostitutes to clients—including a 22-year-old woman who was later found dead at the hands of a suspected Long Island serial killer—was sentenced on Friday to three years in a federal prison.

U.S. District Judge Edward Korman sentenced Akeem Cruz, 23 years old, to a year above the maximum federal guideline of 18 to 24 months, saying the convicted pimp deserved a stiffer sentence even though he did not kill Megan Waterman.

"It seems to me that 24 months is not sufficient," Judge Korman said. "He's not responsible for the murder, but he put her in the zone of danger."

Mr. Cruz is not a suspect in the death of Ms. Waterman, but authorities say he was one of the last people to see her alive in June 2010 when he drove her to meet a client at a Holiday Inn Express in Hauppauge.

Ms. Waterman, of Scarborough, Maine, left the hotel around 1:30 a.m. on June 6 without a wallet, money or identification, police said. She was found dead that December near the remains of three other prostitutes in thick brush along a desolate stretch of highway near Gilgo Beach. In the two years since the original discovery, investigators have recovered the remains of 10 people in the case.

Ms. Waterman and Shannan Gilbert, another prostitute who is a possible victim in the case, had used Craigslist to place ads for clients, police said.

Wearing a beige prison jumpsuit, Mr. Cruz, who said he was dating Ms. Waterman when she disappeared, expressed remorse before being sentenced.

"I take full responsibility for my actions," he said with several relatives in the audience. "I am sorry. I am truly sorry. I have to live the rest of my life with this regret."

Mr. Cruz, who pleaded guilty in July 2012 to federal charges of transporting prostitutes over state lines, will serve three years in a federal prison, one year above the federal sentencing guidelines for his plea. He has been in prison since January 2012.

Family members have said Ms. Waterman met Mr. Cruz at a Maine nightclub in late 2009 and that he went on to convince her she could make easy money as an escort.

In statements on Friday, Ms. Waterman's mother and aunt, who is caring for her niece's daughter, asked the judge to impose the maximum sentence.

"I watched my daughter's personality transform into someone who was no longer in full control of her life," her mother, Lorraine Waterman Ela, wrote in a three-page statement. "She became a pawn in a game that only benefited men who used her for the sole purpose of their financial gain."

The biggest Pimp in this case is the judge.......but that is a long story for another day..... ha, ha, he once gave an interview for a magazine. He said that at times when he is wrestling with a case he wakes up at 3 AM.....he is so disturbed......LOL. His wife, an executive ADA with the Brooklyn DA office will also wake up and ask the judge what's wrong. Ed will tell her about the case and she tells him to go back to sleep because the guy is guilty. Do a GOOG on on Judge Korman and read it for yourself.

This poor excuse for a judge forgets he has life-time tenure. They live by their false credentials. But that is another story for another day.

NY CRIME
January 4, 2013,
8:46 p.m. ET
Gilgo Beach Pimp Sentenced

By PERVAIZ SHALLWANI

A Brooklyn man who pleaded guilty to driving prostitutes to clients—including a 22-year-old woman who was later found dead at the hands of a suspected Long Island serial killer—was sentenced on Friday to three years in a federal prison.

U.S. District Judge Edward Korman sentenced Akeem Cruz, 23 years old, to a year above the maximum federal guideline of 18 to 24 months, saying the convicted pimp deserved a stiffer sentence even though he did not kill Megan Waterman.

"It seems to me that 24 months is not sufficient," Judge Korman said. "He's not responsible for the murder, but he put her in the zone of danger."

Mr. Cruz is not a suspect in the death of Ms. Waterman, but authorities say he was one of the last people to see her alive in June 2010 when he drove her to meet a client at a Holiday Inn Express in Hauppauge.

Ms. Waterman, of Scarborough, Maine, left the hotel around 1:30 a.m. on June 6 without a wallet, money or identification, police said. She was found dead that December near the remains of three other prostitutes in thick brush along a desolate stretch of highway near Gilgo Beach. In the two years since the original discovery, investigators have recovered the remains of 10 people in the case.

Ms. Waterman and Shannan Gilbert, another prostitute who is a possible victim in the case, had used Craigslist to place ads for clients, police said.

Wearing a beige prison jumpsuit, Mr. Cruz, who said he was dating Ms. Waterman when she disappeared, expressed remorse before being sentenced.

"I take full responsibility for my actions," he said with several relatives in the audience. "I am sorry. I am truly sorry. I have to live the rest of my life with this regret."

Mr. Cruz, who pleaded guilty in July 2012 to federal charges of transporting prostitutes over state lines, will serve three years in a federal prison, one year above the federal sentencing guidelines for his plea. He has been in prison since January 2012.

Family members have said Ms. Waterman met Mr. Cruz at a Maine nightclub in late 2009 and that he went on to convince her she could make easy money as an escort.

In statements on Friday, Ms. Waterman's mother and aunt, who is caring for her niece's daughter, asked the judge to impose the maximum sentence.

"I watched my daughter's personality transform into someone who was no longer in full control of her life," her mother, Lorraine Waterman Ela, wrote in a three-page statement. "She became a pawn in a game that only benefited men who used her for the sole purpose of their financial gain."

Nobody is disputing the conviction.

Go research Case Anthony.

Her conviction was in the papers too. She was given FOUR YEARS and then walked out of jail less then 14 days later.

Correct me if I am wrong, did or did not Cruz sit in jail for the last 12 or 13 month waiting for trial & then his sentencing?

Nobody is disputing the conviction.

Go research Case Anthony.

Her conviction was in the papers too. She was given FOUR YEARS and then walked out of jail less then 14 days later.

Correct me if I am wrong, did or did not Cruz sit in jail for the last 12 or 13 month waiting for trial & then his sentencing?

he was in prison for DRUG TRAFFICKING

he was sentenced yesterday under the MANN ACT
two separate things
<modsnip>

the judge SPECIFICALLY PUT IT IN THE CASE
that AKEEM CRUZ IS NOT GETTING OUT UNTIL HE SERVES
2 1/2 years with the clock start ticking YESTERDAY.

He's NOT getting out in July.
he was sentenced to THREE YEARS with good behavior already
factored into the equation - the good behavior is 6 months.
he's SERVING 2 1/2 years.

<modsnip>

he ALSO has to register as a sex offender.
pow pow pow
take THAT akeem.

<modsnip> - he's been wasting his life away in prison for a year. but THAT was a DIFFERENT CHARGE.

i hope i answered your question and you peeps are crystal clear on this.
a lot went on in court yesterday. a lot. the judge did something that HE HAS NEVER DONE BEFORE IN HIS COURTROOM by slapping CRUZ with STATE charges - max being 3 years. the Mann Act only has 2 years max.

the judge wants him in prison. he's NOT getting out before 2 1/2 years. NOT
pow pow pow

i told you before the 3rd 48 hours show that there would be new evidence on the show
and you all attacked me.

I WAS RIGHT. I AM RIGHT TODAY TOO.
AKEEM IS NOT GETTING OUT.

<modsnip>

justice was served yesterday- the law spoke.
<modsnip>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4
Back