VICTIM - Mickey Shunick, 21, of Lafayette, LA (Theories)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My opinions only, no facts here:

I am confused. My posts show that I (pre-arrest) described the suspect quite well (if he is indeed the perpetrator). My verbal description precedes the arrest- so I am either very lucky or mostly correct by my methods. To me, this is like calling a lottery number correct and having people claim that I did not win or deserve the money. The real question should be- how did I do this? Blind luck or methodology? I have a previous post that explains my background in image enhancement. My philosophy in life has been to identify people who get it right and determine their methods and then imitate them.

Remember- there were two early pics (before the last pic of the white truck going the opposite direction), and the earliest pic was of Mickey on her bike, probably taken no more than a minute before the first white truck pic. I KNOW what she looks like. By studying the bike image I could estimate everything from color-representation to pixel-representation from the security camera. Very, very rarely does a sleuth have such a wealth of comparative information. In other words- a pic of someone whose image is all over the internet (Mickey).

Some people will look at my enhancement and sincerely say- it could be anybody in America. But remember that after analyzing my (pre-arrest) own enhancement, I DID NOT describe the driver as tall and thin with blonde, light-brown, or red hair, or as a non-Caucasian, or as someone wearing glasses. I did not say he was clean shaven without facial side hair or a mustache. I called him out, and mostly- quite correctly (IF the current arrested man is the perpetrator). And allow me to put this another way- if this driver were your husband, wife, boss, a celebrity, or best friend, I will bet dollars to donuts that you would immediately find my enhancement subtly familiar. Why? Because you would draw connections between what you already knew exceptionally well, and what you saw in my enhancement.

Having said all of this, I additionally predict that the driver was wearing a white t-shirt with a large logo on the front. It might be a sports logo, but obviously there are a lot of other possibilities. I cannot enhance the t-shirt logo to the extent required to see what it says. That would be asking too much, given the quality of the image.

Keep up the good work and never fail to question me. If my fellow sleuths stop questioning me, I could become complacent and incompetent.

Having said all of this, and since this thread may die because of the arrest, check out my work on the Holly Bobo, Jamison family, McStay family, Michelle Parker, and Maura Murray cases. I have presented detailed timelines for some of these most interesting cases. Unfortunately, there are no security cam images for these cases.

Mr. Noatak, I'm not sure whether you are aware that Mickey's case has been changed to a sub-forum format here on WS and thus there are separate threads for different topics...?

There is a thread just for discussion of the truck and the surveillance images -- maybe discussion of your pictures might fit in better there...?
Here's the link:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180860"]The DWT - The Truck(s?) and the Surveillance Images - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Yeah, it sucks. And it probably was his plan. He had already identified the cemetery as a dumping ground - had thought about it.

He also had to have pre-dug the grave, or brought a shovel. The shovel may have already been in the DWT in the Circle-K photo :-(
When they showed a picture of LE taking away items from his property, it did look like they took away a shovel with a broken handle.

The problems I have with BSL placing Mickey under his trailer are all related to the heat accelerating the decomposition process, in that it would have created a huge risk for someone or a neighborhood dog or wild scavenger finding her. Mobile home skirting would not be much of a barrier to a determined animal. And the possibility of an unexpected human visitor smelling the body is very real. Of course, if he had placed her in some sort of container that could have kept the smell down for a day or two.
-----------

We were posting about this possibility in earlier threads. I think he could have put her under the trailer for a few hours, or he hid her body in another area of the property. Remember the neighbor said that there were more than the average amount of buzzards circling the trailer area? The buzzards smelled death.

There could have also been a weapon under the trailer.

-----------

We were posting about this possibility in earlier threads. I think he could have put her under the trailer for a few hours, or he hid her body in another area of the property. Remember the neighbor said that there were more than the average amount of buzzards circling the trailer area? The buzzards smelled death.

There could have also been a weapon under the trailer.

I was wondering if maybe he kept a box with his 'mementos" under the trailer. Then when he saw the picture of his truck, he decided to move them. His problem came up with his surprise arrest and LE searching his trailer.

Let us recount the key incidents that truly sank BSL:

1. Visit to the ER for wounds.

2. Burning of the truck, leading to Texas investigation, leading to purchase of another, leading to covering up his RSO flag on his license, leading to citizen tip.

3. Possible tip from one of his family members regarding the above.

Absent any one of the above three, maybe he escapes.

What do they ALL lead back to?

He was wounded, almost certainly by Michaela Shunick. Her apparent decision to fight back, instead of remaining passive, appears to be what stopped a killer, and maybe will finally bring answers to Lisa Pate's family.

It's been said before, but Mickey's bravery was not in vain. This thought brings tears to my eyes. Good girl. You done good.

]

He was wounded, almost certainly by Michaela Shunick. Her apparent decision to fight back, instead of remaining passive, appears to be what stopped a killer, and maybe will finally bring answers to Lisa Pate's family.

It's been said before, but Mickey's bravery was not in vain. This thought brings tears to my eyes. Good girl. You done good.
Respectfully snipped by me. Indeed she did!
And her family & friends, especially Charlie, also have "done good" by putting her case out there and keeping it out there.

BSL messed up big time when he chose Mickey has victim. Her family had the wherewithall, education, and means to make her story huge. Had Lisa's family had the means to do so (and of course I know they wanted to, but I just don't think they had the means to do so based on what limited info we know about them- let me be clear I am NOT bashing them), he may have been in jail for murder a long time ago.

Mickey, her family, and her friends have saved the next girl from BSL's reign of terror.

Let us recount the key incidents that truly sank BSL:

1. Visit to the ER for wounds.

2. Burning of the truck, leading to Texas investigation, leading to purchase of another, leading to covering up his RSO flag on his license, leading to citizen tip.

3. Possible tip from one of his family members regarding the above.

Absent any one of the above three, maybe he escapes.

What do they ALL lead back to?

'Chicken Fried, I'd just like to add the June 14, 2012 tip by the aware car sales person that was obviously following the Mickey Schunick story and followed up on his/her instincts/intuition..a guardian angel..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deuKdsxdLM4"]"Calling All Angels" to Find Mickey Shunick Now - YouTube[/ame]

I was wondering if maybe he kept a box with his 'mementos" under the trailer. Then when he saw the picture of his truck, he decided to move them. His problem came up with his surprise arrest and LE searching his trailer.
-------------
Could very well be.

As we've discussed before, we know that many perps. keep what would I.D. the victims (driver's licenses, photos, jewelry, etc.) in what some call "hidey holes"--reason being that there are a multitude of locations: ceiling (Hansen), in a closet (Rader), under the floorboards, in a refrigerator...

I was responding that we've also discussed why "the smell of death" could be around that trailer/property.

Im slightly confused as to what you're getting at.
Can you explain for us who are confused haha

I really hope they never release pictures of Mickey deceased. Sadly, it happens in most national coverage cases. It would be so disrespectful to the family and anyone who followed this case.

Really? What cases has that happened in? Off the top of my head, I can just think of JBR and The Black Dahlia. I'm sure there have been more...but they aren't coming to me right now. I'm just going through the names of recent high-profile murder victims...and none of the ones I'm thinking of had pictures released.

And her family & friends, especially Charlie, also have "done good" by putting her case out there and keeping it out there.

BSL messed up big time when he chose Mickey has victim. Her family had the wherewithall, education, and means to make her story huge. Had Lisa's family had the means to do so (and of course I know they wanted to, but I just don't think they had the means to do so based on what limited info we know about them- let me be clear I am NOT bashing them), he may have been in jail for murder a long time ago.

Mickey, her family, and her friends have saved the next girl from BSL's reign of terror.

Imo, this has been the absolute best awareness campaign in a missing person investigation that I have witnessed. Many lessons were learned. Awareness is the key..

I hope & pray that other LEAs and missing/murdered families are paying attention and use this as a template for future cases. The staggering numbers of missing/murdered persons/Silent Epidemic across the US are entirely too high. One is too many...

"Without Safety for our families & loved ones, we have nothing"!..

Imo, this has been the absolute best awareness campaign in a missing person investigation that I have witnessed. Many lessons were learned. Awareness is the key..

I hope & pray that other LEAs and missing/murdered families are paying attention and use this as a template for future cases. The staggering numbers of missing/murdered persons/Silent Epidemic across the US are entirely too high. One is too many...

You are so right! The number one thing I am taking away from this is that the family of a missing person should NEVER sit back and let LE make all the moves. Get your loved one's name out there, get her face out there, use social media, involve her friends and organize early searches, etc. LE is doing a great job, but IMO, Mickey's family is the answer to the question, "Why did Mickey get so much more attention than other missing girls?"

And thanks to the young lady who had the courage to speak up & have him incarcerated for what he did to her.

And thanks to the young lady at the car dealership

And thanks, absolutamente, to ADAM4LSU

-----------
I'm recalling an abducted person/rape/murder case I was actively involved in from over EIGHT YRS. ago that seemed to be the absolute best awareness campaign. Only, there wasn't much awareness produced, nor protection for citizens implemented.

Sorry, I feel anger and despair, right now.

If you've ever been a victim and survived, you know what I'm saying.

This never should have happened to Mickey!

I think Mickey's case has gotten more attention than some others in part because of the way she lived. She had lots of friends and was genuinely well liked by people who knew her. Those who loved her acted quickly to get the word out. Her loved ones are more educated and aware of the power of social media than some victim's loved ones may be. My father is a brilliant and loving man but if I was abducted I doubt he would think of Facebook, t-shirts and bracelets.
I have been thinking about the possibility of a nonprofit that helps families of the missing get exposure as early as possible in an investigation. If your child is missing you have so much to deal with that setting up a Facebook page and getting media attention is too much. Mickey's family and friends had the ability to do this but most people probably do not.

Really? What cases has that happened in? Off the top of my head, I can just think of JBR and The Black Dahlia. I'm sure there have been more...but they aren't coming to me right now. I'm just going through the names of recent high-profile murder victims...and none of the ones I'm thinking of had pictures released.

I am pretty sure I have seen about every crime show out there since they first aired on TV and before that all of the True Crime type magazines. They do often show crime scene photos. Many times of the victim in the state they are found whether in a grave, field, home, etc. It is very common.

When this happens, I really feel for the victims family. It is something I could not ever handle seeing.

Im slightly confused as to what you're getting at.
Can you explain for us who are confused haha

I really hope they never release pictures of Mickey deceased. Sadly, it happens in most national coverage cases. It would be so disrespectful to the family and anyone who followed this case.

no no no. that's not what i'm getting at. i'm just trying to figure out how these reporters are on the other side of the crime tape. i assumed he buried her body in the woods behind the tombstones, but that doesn't seem so if the reporters are on the other side of the tape. surely the CSI guy in the photo didn't let the photographer walk past him and take a pic from within the woods. so i'm just confused about that

I think this case (and many others) is proof that while family and friends play a part in getting a case coverage, the media still has the ultimate control over just how huge a case can become. Mickey's family and friends did everything they could, but Mickey didn't get much media coverage outside of Louisiana, or even just Lafayette. It's like there's a maximum threshold of coverage that every case has.

Mr. Noatak, I'm not sure whether you are aware that Mickey's case has been changed to a sub-forum format here on WS and thus there are separate threads for different topics...?

There is a thread just for discussion of the truck and the surveillance images -- maybe discussion of your pictures might fit in better there...?
Here's the link:

The DWT - The Truck(s?) and the Surveillance Images - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Darn it! My whole internet life seems to revolve about being on the wrong thread when I have scored a minor victory in sleuthing. I called this guy out with a good description (before the arrest), but have nowhere to go with it here. Anyway, for posterity, the suspect looks much like I pictured and described. But he is still only a suspect at this point in time. My calls about suspects go back to the Green River killer in the 1980's (and long before). I blew that case, because I predicted that the killer did not have a wife. I walked the streets where he prowled at the same time as his murder spree, and looking back on this- I still think I could have called him out and saved a few lives. Because guys like this always go back to visit their victims. Just like an arsonist will watch the fire they set and then come back later to take pictures of the burned ruins.

I have made my calls about where to look in the Maura Murray, Holly Bobo and McStay family cases. If I get lucky in all or one of these cases, I will look for the correct thread to post my methods on. I feel that nobody seems overly interested in my investigative methods, so I will regress to the emotional aspects of the Shunick case, as appropriate for this most excellent thread, with most excellent posters.

I feel that blonde-haired women are very much targeted by male predators of all backgrounds. When my daughter was 16, I still walked with her to the house directly adjacent to mine (to babysit), even though I live in possibly the safest neighborhood in the US. But once children grow up, the parents have no power over them. Regardless of this, women should have the right to walk or ride through any part of the US and be safe. But the reality is- we have created a country where women are NOT SAFE. And this makes me very disappointed.

Darn it! My whole internet life seems to revolve about being on the wrong thread when I have scored a minor victory in sleuthing. I called this guy out with a good description (before the arrest), but have nowhere to go with it here. Anyway, for posterity, the suspect looks much like I pictured and described. But he is still only a suspect at this point in time. My calls about suspects go back to the Green River killer in the 1980's (and long before). I blew that case, because I predicted that the killer did not have a wife. I walked the streets where he prowled at the same time as his murder spree, and looking back on this- I still think I could have called him out and saved a few lives. Because guys like this always go back to visit their victims. Just like an arsonist will watch the fire they set and then come back later to take pictures of the burned ruins.

I have made my calls about where to look in the Maura Murray, Holly Bobo and McStay family cases. If I get lucky in all or one of these cases, I will look for the correct thread to post my methods on. I feel that nobody seems overly interested in my investigative methods, so I will regress to the emotional aspects of the Shunick case, as appropriate for this most excellent thread, with most excellent posters.

I feel that blonde-haired women are very much targeted by male predators of all backgrounds. When my daughter was 16, I still walked with her to the house directly adjacent to mine (to babysit), even though I live in possibly the safest neighborhood in the US. But once children grow up, the parents have no power over them. Regardless of this, women should have the right to walk or ride through any part of the US and be safe. But the reality is- we have created a country where women are NOT SAFE. And this makes me very disappointed.

I have posted this elsewhere. But this is not a cut and paste, I will attempt to recite it from memory.

There are three basic social circles, the inner, median, and outer circles. The inner circle represents spouses or love interests and their direct relatives, the median circle constitutes friends of the inner circle, and the outer circle is largely strangers. The outer circle is very dangerous. There is no room for idealism in the outer circle in these crazy times. The rule in the outer circle has become "watch your back". Riding a bike at night or in remote areas these days has become too risky, because someone might deliberately strike you with their vehicle and if you are dead, rob you and if you are still alive, kidnap you. The rules have changed. Please be careful.

I have posted this elsewhere. But this is not a cut and paste, I will attempt to recite it from memory.

There are three basic social circles, the inner, median, and outer circles. The inner circle represents spouses or love interests and their direct relatives, the median circle constitutes friends of the inner circle, and the outer circle is largely strangers. The outer circle is very dangerous. There is no room for idealism in the outer circle in these crazy times. The rule in the outer circle has become "watch your back". Riding a bike at night or in remote areas these days has become too risky, because someone might deliberately strike you with their vehicle and if you are dead, rob you and if you are still alive, kidnap you. The rules have changed. Please be careful.

Before this happened to Mickey, I was very carefree. No, naive, would be a better description. I always had the attitude of "oh that would never happen to me!" Most of us grew up during a time that our doors were left unlocked day and night and people were free to roam around without the dangers we face today. In the past few months, I have become WAY more aware of my surroundings and A LOT more cautious of others. I feel as though people like BSL have taken away our "southern" way of life and upbringing. We are no longer able to have the attitude of "no one is a stranger." It's very sad that we may soon have to forego our Southern Hospitality just to stay safe in such a unique and wonderful part of our country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129
Back