VT VT - Brianna Maitland, 17, Montgomery, 19 March 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do you know what type of dogs they were DS? From reading the Madeline McCann case it appears there are two types that are used. One for blood, etc. and one for the "death" smell. Doubt after all this time that a dog could get any type of scent unless maybe they let the dogs sniff the pants/sweatshirt or some other item of Brianna's??

littledeer,
cadaber dogs which are used to detect the smell of decomposed human remains, the scent from that decay will remain in the soil for several yrs, a well trained cadaber dog would be able to detect the scent, dogs are trained according to the main funtcion they will be used for, scent article dogs are commenly used to help in a search of a lost person for tracking purpouses. then they are trained for blood pathogene scent, and then cadaber dogs, for the smell of decay. the smell of decay might not last as long in areas that are prone to polluted water or runoff water from a roadway washing into an area where remains are, but in a remote spot as this is, the smell of decay would most likely be present, so depending on how long they spend out there increases the chance of finding something more or eliminating the area.

Thanks for the information on the cadaver dogs etc. Very interesting reading. Hope they find something!

I'm sort of confused on the article. It doesn't exactly say that the search was called off..........just that they are wating on DNA results on the jeans found.

Doesn't the last person that saw Brianna at work know what she was wearing that night? Also, in the earlier posts it was mentioned that Brianna had written a note to her roommate saying what time she would be home that night. Has it ever been said what time it was?

And who is the person that supposedly Brianna told that she was going to take a "small road trip"??

I hope Mr. & Mrs. Maitland are surrounded by loving friends and family members during this time of waiting anew for either false hope or finally a resolution to what happened to Bri.

I'm sort of confused on the article. It doesn't exactly say that the search was called off..........just that they are wating on DNA results on the jeans found.

Doesn't the last person that saw Brianna at work know what she was wearing that night? Also, in the earlier posts it was mentioned that Brianna had written a note to her roommate saying what time she would be home that night. Has it ever been said what time it was?

And who is the person that supposedly Brianna told that she was going to take a "small road trip"??

I hope Mr. & Mrs. Maitland are surrounded by loving friends and family members during this time of waiting anew for either false hope or finally a resolution to what happened to Bri.
Dearest Littledeer,:blowkiss:
The search was ended at dusk. It will continue after the results are made on the jeans, in about 3 weeks.
Brianna lived in Sheldon with her friend Jullian and Jullian's father.
Brianna left a note saying wheen she would be done work. She punched out of work at 11:20 pm that night.
That was March 19th. Her car was found the next day and Brianna's parents were not notifed until March 23rd. The call to the parents was made by Jillian. Other friends called and were worried. The parents then called VSP and reported Bri missing. A missing persons alert was put out and a BOL was put out on the vehicle. Bri's parents were notified about the car on the 25th. The vehicle was registered to Brianna's mother.

No one can say what she was wearing.

As far as the road trip goes, a co-worker of Bri's told the police that Brianna wanted to take a road trip. Bri's mother denies that her daughter would take off anywhere.
Also found near the scene of the accident was a woman's jacket with a wallet in the jacket. Credit cards and and other items with the name of the female. The items belong to a California woman who had just moved here and appeared to be a certified ski instructor. Brianna's parents found the items and turned them over to VSP.

Also, Brianna lived in Sheldon, not Montgomery like some reports about the search said a few times. She worked in Montgomery.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Why not?? Can't the person that worked with her that night remember what she was wearing?? Does this place of employment have a certain dress code?

Why not?? Can't the person that worked with her that night remember what she was wearing?? Does this place of employment have a certain dress code?
Dearest Littledeer,:blowkiss:
I do not know if the waitstaff were allowed to wear jeans or not.
No one could say what she was wearing at work that night.

All my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

DS:

I was going to keep "harping" on the issue of what she was wearing.....then I realized that probably by the time it was realized that she was missing.............no one would remember.

However, I think it's important. Has anyone thought of reinterviewing the last person that saw Bri that night and maybe something will trigger a memory? Would that person be receptive maybe to hypnosis to remember??

Also, most 17 year olds have a cell phone. Did Briana have one?

From our news yesterday;
Link

Part of it;

On Monday, some 30 VSP, other search officials and K-9 units combed a 1-mile radius around the original location between the Gibou Road and Hutchin’s Bridge Road, said Ledo. The search party included nine members of New England K-9 Search and Rescue, and four Connecticut State Police K-9 units, in addition to VSP Search and Rescue.
“As a result of the search both Saturday and today, we’re confident that we’ve covered it very well, and no items of interest were located,” Ledo said.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

DS, do you have any idea or opinions as to what may have happened to Bri?

Lucy Newton and her dog Dugan was one of the search and Rescue teams;

lucy_and_dugan_1_042107_234.jpg

Lucy Newton lives in southern VT
  • <LI class=style13>Joined NEK-9 SAR in 2001 <LI class=style13>Member Training Committee <LI class=style13>Certified 2 K-9's with NEK-9 SAR
  • EMT-I
Prior team affiliation:
*Certified handler with Western NY SearchDogs 1996-2001
K-9 partners:
Dugan Rottweiler (above)
Bevan Rottweiler (deceased)
New England K-9 Search and Rescue link

Burlington Free Press Lucy and Dugan in Brianna's search

We are so very proud of all involved in the search.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

It was said that the area search will probably not be searched again since the covered the area and they were satisfied with the search.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Appears that Lucy & Dugan did all they could in their search. Very sad that nothing further was found.

Did they search in any other areas??

DS:

Any news on this case?? I heard on the radio this morning that VERMONT is the healthiest place to live in the United States.

What do you think of that, of course excluding your crime rate.

Here is an update;

Click here for link

The jeans did not match with Bri's DNA. But there was a hair found on the jeans and it is being examined by Forensic experts.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

DS:

Thanks for the update. I was so hoping that they were Bri's. Don't have much faith that the "single hair strand" found on the jeans will provide any further information on Bri, but maybe it will lead to someone else who is missing, or the perpetuator who was last around those jeans.

btw, while I was at the link, I noticed an article about a missing 13 year old boy. Is there a thread for him?

Hope you don't get the bad storm that is supposed to come over the eastern side this weekend. (I live in Ohio, and am hoping it will skip over us)! :)

DS:

Thanks for the update. I was so hoping that they were Bri's. Don't have much faith that the "single hair strand" found on the jeans will provide any further information on Bri, but maybe it will lead to someone else who is missing, or the perpetuator who was last around those jeans.

btw, while I was at the link, I noticed an article about a missing 13 year old boy. Is there a thread for him?

Hope you don't get the bad storm that is supposed to come over the eastern side this weekend. (I live in Ohio, and am hoping it will skip over us)! :)
To my very dearest Littledeer,:blowkiss:
Very nice to see you my friend.
We will see what the hair on the jeans has for answers.
Yes I did start a thread on Ryan, the missing 13-year-old.
I am hoping that we do not get the storm, but it is not looking to good. I stocked up just to be safe.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

DS:

Nice feeling to be able to respond to one of your posts. Could you please provide a link to the thread for the 13 year old?

p.s. It has started snowing here, and it is getting heavier by the minute.
:(

Hello -

As to what Brianna had on the night she disappeared. I may be able to shed a little bit of light on this. My sister, Kellie, Brianna's Mom had taken her shopping the very day she went missing. Brianna needed black pants for her new job. The new pants that she purchased that day were found at Jillian's house still in the bag, but it is very possible that she had on black pants. There were a pair of Brianna's sneakers/hiking style that we never found, so we believe she may have been wearing them. I do not know for sure what the dress code was at the Black Lantern. She was washing dishes the night she disappeared. We also know that she was going out to the bar to hang the wine glasses that evening. She was seen talking to at least one person at the bar. This person has been questioned. I had heard early on in the investigation that she may have been wearing an apron. I often wonder if the change that was scattered on the ground outside her car door, may have been some of her tips that had fallen out of her pocket during a struggle.
She did not have a cell phone. She had had one prior to her disappearance, but was saving to buy a new car. My cell phone did not have service at the accident sight. Several other family members had different cell phone companies and they did not have service either.
I also believe that there had to be more than one person to abduct her that quickly. I believe that there were clearly signs of a struggle and there would have had to be one person to contain Brianna and one person to drive the car. That means that more than one person out there knows exactly what happened that night.

Bringbrihome

We are still awaiting the results of the hair found on the pants.

Bringbrihome:

((((Hugs))))) I am so glad that you posted and provided some information that we were unaware of.

Have the LE been in contact with the family on what they have been doing in the search for Brianna? Do you know if Brianna had a habit of locking her car doors after she got out? I was wondering if maybe someone was in the back seat waiting for Brianna to get off work and held at gunpoint and she drove the car to where it was found abandoned at?

Would Brianna normally change after work before leaving? I know my daughter always changed from her work clothes to more relaxing clothes. (i.e. jeans, shirt, etc.)

Right now, it appears there are more questions than answers. Is there any other information that you can reveal to us that would help us out? I'm sure that there is some that LE would not want you to divulge and I respect that.

Althought it may appear that we have forgotten Brianna by the lack of posts, we haven't!

One final question, would Brianna be turning 21 this year?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back