VT VT - Brianna Maitland, 17, Montgomery, 19 March 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On 10th anniversary of disappearance, Vermont State Police renew call for tips in case of missing teen Brianna Maitland
Robert Rizzuto | rrizzuto@repub.com By Robert Rizzuto | rrizzuto@repub.com
on March 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM, updated March 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Snipped:

"Investigators who continue to receive and investigate active leads in this case believe there is a strong indication that Brianna was, in fact, a victim of foul play," Vermont state troopers said in a press release reminding the public of the case. "There is no evidence at this time to indicate that Brianna willingly left the area."

(Click to view full size.)

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/on_10th_anniversary_of_disappe.html

On 10-year anniversary of disappearance, friends believe Brianna Maitland was murdered
Brianna Maitland, then 17, last seen March 2004
UPDATED 11:38 PM EDT Mar 19, 2014

Snipped:

“Do you think Brianna’s alive?” WPTZ’s David Charns asked Maitland’s friend Katie Manning.

“No,” Manning said.

Manning fought back tears as she talked about her friend who lived with her months before her disappearance.

“I had seen her two days before, and knew what she was up to and just figured her parents hadn't heard from her so they called her in missing,” Manning said.

http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-ne...elieve-brianna-maitland-was-murdered/25064722

Wednesday marks 10th anniversary of Montgomery teenager's disappearance
Mar. 18, 2014
Written by Free Press Staff

Snipped:

bilde

A volunteer with New England K-9 Search and Rescue searches for signs of Brianna Maitland in Berkshire in 2005. / Free Press File

Vermont State Police said Tuesday investigators continue to receive and investigate active leads, and and the agency remains optimistic that new information will lead to a resolution in the case. There is a strong indication Maitland was the victim of foul play, police said.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ersary-of-Montgomery-teenager-s-disappearance

Nice to see you guys posting the stuff I came here to post lol.

Ten years is so depressing.

Sounds like they still have persons of interest so hopefully something breaks soon. I'd hate to see this case turn into a Deanie Peters situation.

I think about Bri often. I hope they find her soon.

This one seems solvable. The shady elements on the periphery of the story... the assault shortly before she disappeared, the recent increase in drug activity in the area. I believe this one will be ultimately solved.

Just wanted to bump this thread in accordance with recent anniversary coverage. this case is driving me mad for some reason. I think its the fact that there is so much left behind to go on. By this I mean that essentially you have a crime scene with the car at (or partially in) the farmhouse.

Here's my take at any rate.

I think its more likely that whoever Brianna met that night was at least known to her as a acquaintance. I also find the theory mentioned in recent reports that someone may have been hiding in the car fanciful. I base both of these assumptions on the position that the car was found in, in short it looks to have been pulled off the road to me and I fail to see any tyre marks that would imply a sudden loss of control. Also the manner in which the car is impacted into the abandoned farmhouse suggests to me that the car could not have reversed that far, a more moderate distance would have embedded the car further I feel. I also feel that the crash would have happened no matter how far the car had to be reversed (within reason) because this whole scenario screams 'panic'. Looking at that farmhouse it does seem like the ideal place to meet to buy or take drugs to my eyes. As a darkened meeting point it is ideal for shady or non-shady activity. Brianna could have made this arrangement at the last minute or during the day, if it was to do with drugs it would have likely been kept secret. I do not wish to smear the victim here though by casting this as definitely to do with drugs, I find it odd her friend is in recent reports noting that Brianna owed money to people (implying drugs). In fact I find it somewhat unlikely personally that someone desperate enough to murder or kidnap someone for a drug debt will not take a wallet or paycheck. Besides it always amuses me when this line of inquiry is undertaken, I mean I understand small time dealers disappearing for huge debts but why actually start getting rid of customers? The point I am trying to make is that the lure of drugs (in whatever sense) might have been used to bring Brianna to that location but I think its unlikely this happened over a drug debt. Consequently its possible in this case that drugs are a red herring. She is clearly a very pretty girl, did she have any romantic involvements at the time of her disappearance? Did she spurn many romantic approaches? Just by looking at her one would guess that she spurned some potential suitors.

My guess is that ultimately the motive here is sexual and that while she said she was keen to get home I believe she was ultimately keen to meet someone outside the farmhouse. Perhaps it was to try and buy drugs, perhaps it was to follow someone to a party, perhaps it was to meet a friend for another reason. Either the person she met after misleading her had intentionally set up a trap to kidnap Brianna or something went very wrong in this initial meeting. And by something going wrong I mean this person intended to seduce Brianna and met with resistance. The fact that Brianna managed to get into her car and attempt to get away means to me that she realized very quickly something was wrong.

And yet while I remain convinced of the motive I do realize there is always the chance that the scenario could be as simple and cliche as Brianna pulling over to assist a guy that pretends to have broken down or had an accident. I say this purely as the getaway she managed seems to indicate a quick acknowledgement of danger. These are the reasons that this case is plaguing me at 4.30am.

One way or another the parents deserve to know the truth about Brianna and my thoughts go to them, 10 years is too long.

Just to add (and this might be useful for some of the questions in this thread) that it is a real shame that the car was towed away and moved so quickly. This was due to the lateness of linking the car to a missing persons case. If the police had reacted quicker and used an Amber warning then the trooper who found the paychecks would have known this was a potential crime scene.

The trampling of the scene and the towing would have almost certainly ruined the discovery of any other vehicle tracks or footprints. Likely as well that any prints would have been compromised by the trooper as well as the person towing the car. Its easy to say in hindsight perhaps but the mere presence of so many personal effects and the fact the car was unlocked should of attracted greater suspicion from the initial responder.

At least we have a number of photographs. People (Brianna's father included) have mentioned snow and the use this might have been to the investigation but I have not seen any snow in any of the photographs. This has always rather confused me. Am I wrong here?

One final possibility has also occurred to me, I didn't see it in the thread so far so I will just give it a mention. In one of the recent reports it mentioned how investigators now believe that the 'crash' into the farmhouse was set-up or faked. Initially I discounted this for the simple question of why? Being slow on the uptake (and tired) I only now realize that Maura Murray went missing only 5 weeks before Brianna and only 90 miles away. The Murray case received much exposure of course, including the manner in which the car was crashed directly prior to Maura vanishing. The point being that the perpetrator might well have been familiar with the Murray case and endeavored to recreate the same circumstances with Brianna therefore encouraging a linking of the cases, thereby creating a smokescreen. This has to be given serious consideration if only due to the keys to Brianna's car having never being found, yet many other possessions were found in and around the car.

I am a long time lurker who finally gave in to her obsession with this case and registered with Websleuths over the long weekend.. My heart just breaks for the family.. I did read on the internet that the girl who sucker punched Brianna (Keallie Lacross) just weeks before Brianna disappeared was arrested for a violent home invasion a couple of years ago and it did peak my interest but I think it was Ramon Ryans or someone like him who killed Brianna.. Whoever did it needs to own up to the crime even by writing a anonymous note and say where her body is.. 10 years is too long!!!

:bump:

Just to add (and this might be useful for some of the questions in this thread) that it is a real shame that the car was towed away and moved so quickly. This was due to the lateness of linking the car to a missing persons case. If the police had reacted quicker and used an Amber warning then the trooper who found the paychecks would have known this was a potential crime scene.

The trampling of the scene and the towing would have almost certainly ruined the discovery of any other vehicle tracks or footprints. Likely as well that any prints would have been compromised by the trooper as well as the person towing the car. Its easy to say in hindsight perhaps but the mere presence of so many personal effects and the fact the car was unlocked should of attracted greater suspicion from the initial responder.

At least we have a number of photographs. People (Brianna's father included) have mentioned snow and the use this might have been to the investigation but I have not seen any snow in any of the photographs. This has always rather confused me. Am I wrong here?

One final possibility has also occurred to me, I didn't see it in the thread so far so I will just give it a mention. In one of the recent reports it mentioned how investigators now believe that the 'crash' into the farmhouse was set-up or faked. Initially I discounted this for the simple question of why? Being slow on the uptake (and tired) I only now realize that Maura Murray went missing only 5 weeks before Brianna and only 90 miles away. The Murray case received much exposure of course, including the manner in which the car was crashed directly prior to Maura vanishing. The point being that the perpetrator might well have been familiar with the Murray case and endeavored to recreate the same circumstances with Brianna therefore encouraging a linking of the cases, thereby creating a smokescreen. This has to be given serious consideration if only due to the keys to Brianna's car having never being found, yet many other possessions were found in and around the car.

The police didn't link the car to Brianna for three days, unfortunately. Brianna wasn't reported missing until three days after her car was towed, and then the link was made to her. The trooper first saw her car and because she wasn't a missing person, it didn't come up in the system. They assumed she was a drunk and had abandoned the car, so they towed it. They did look at the paychecks and went back to her place of employment, but they were closed.

I think the police did try their best here. I know that Brianna's parents have complaints and I know that in hindsight if the police knew it was a missing person's car they were dealing with and this was the suspected crime scene, things would've gone down differently, but for what they did at the time, I think they did everything okay. I know the car is in Brianna's parents name, but Brianna didn't live with her parents and appeared to be an emancipated minor, so I don't really know if they're under any obligation to contact them with details about the car, especially when everything they have (probably) tells them that Brianna is independent.

I just watched the episode on Disappeared. Its a horrible to watch these stories when the missing person is so young. The even tougher thing is that I think the case can be solved. The timeline and car info is so critical. Her car was first seen about 10 to 70 minutes after she left work at the farmhouse. Two more people saw the car. The first person saw the headlights on didn't see anyone around, though, I don't think that means for certian Brianna wasn't in the car. It wasn't said whether the car had crashed into the farmhouse. Bewteen mid-night and 12:30 somebody spots a turn signal blinking. Around 4 am an ex-boyfriend saw the car. He didn't see anything either, but I wonder how much looking around he did. The episode shows a car driving to the Brianna's car, but it wasn't specifically said how close he got, just that he didn't see anyone. My question is, would the keys have to be in the ignition to have the lights and blinkers on? Does the car have to be running? I think the answer to both questions is yes. The car was photographed without the lights on the next day and the keys were gone. The cops said the found no signs of foul play. It seems more likely than not to me that Brianna went to this place after work. It seems like having the car pointed towards the street with the lights on was a signal. Something bad goes down, and she puts the car in reverse, hits the farm house, and is pulled out. The abductors later turned the lights off and took the keys.

The scene, though, is totally perplexing. How did any of the other witnesses not see another car? Why have the bliker on? Why take the keys? How does a bf just happen at 4 o'clock to think he sees her car?
I also wonder how busy the restaurnt was when she left. It sounds like she stayed late and nobody actually saw her get in the car and leave. Was this a busy place that time of night? I don't think so.

I find it so strage that an ex-boyfriend puts himself at the scene. Was he ever ruled out as a suspect? I would take a look at him and those two NY drug dealers. Maybe they didn't have anything to do with the disappearance, but they seem like the obvious perpatrators.

Could someone post the link to Brianna's disappeared episode please? I am having trouble finding it for some reason? Thanks!!

I found it.

Regarding the person that upset her at the mall... I think Brianna was being followed by someone. It bothered her enough to go outside and meet the person, but it didn't alarm her. I am thinking a jealous BF or someone that had a crush on her. I think the same person followed her to work and then home.

Due to the scattered belongings at the barn, I don't think the scene was staged.

Since her paychecks were still on the front seat, I find this unlikely to be financial or drug debt related, unless any encounter and struggle happened entirely outside the car and after she had planned to meet someone there.

If the suspect was not already in the car, I think she may have planned to meet someone, or was worried about something, and that's why she did not stay for dinner after closing.

Some other weird things:

- the barn was known by locals by the name of the two elderly brothers that lived in the house. Their house was robbed and they were beaten until they were nearly dead. Afterwards, they never returned to the house. This is either a freak coincidence, or could mean something important and sinister. What's interesting is that the girl that punched Brianna was later arrested for a home invasion. I'm not suggesting the same girl beat the men, but that she had some interest in that house because of what happened there.

- the boyfriend just happened to come across Brianna's car and didn't stop to check it out. This seems very weird. He was said to be partying and on his way home. I feel like all of these people are related, and if it wasn't the boyfriend, it was someone at that party.

I am curious to know if the boyfriend and the girl that punched Brianna were somehow connected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back