VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sure appreciate your thoughts. And they not only remembered it was prunes she was eating, but the exact time she was eating them.

Surely if the witnesses remembered these details, they would have remembered the correct name of the store, which at that time was called Om Natural Health Foods.

The most basic facts of the case appear, upon scrutiny, to not be facts at all:

Lynne was not 18.
The store was not called All Good Things.
Her English final was not scheduled for the day she disappeared (though this could be spin by the school administration)
She took her backpack, checkbook, and ID.
According to the owner, Durst never lived at the Ripton property police focused on in 2015.
According to the town of Ripton staff, who researched the issue thoroughly, there is no record or memory of Durst ever living in Ripton.
There are no legal records, in fact, placing Durst in Vermont at all in December of 1971.

The chief source of details claiming Durst was in Vermont are the Vilners and the Israels, who claim to have known both Durst and Schulze.

Other than struggling to establish an alibi that absolves him from some OTHER crime, I can think of no reason for Durst--who has a solid history of fervent denial--to suddenly remember he was a serial killer in Vermont. Given what the Israels have already said publicly, it is logical to assume they are the source of the 2012 tip.

The question remains then as to why the Israels, and to some extent the Vilners, would want after many decades to suddenly create the idea that a serial killer sold Lynne prunes on a Friday afternoon in 1971.

I see two possibilities (among others): as friends, these three families needed to establish an alibi for Robert Durst on or around December 10, 1971--one they knew would have little chance of actually connecting him to the disappearance of a local college girl.

The second possibility, and the one which nags at me more, is that something happened at the Charlie Miller camp, and the people who were actually present for it need to pin it on an alleged serial killer. This theory would be supported by looking at when the property came up for sale over the years, and seeing whether, for example, there may have been anxiety on the Israels' and Vilners' part as to a new owner digging something up. We know 2012 is a focus point; I'd be interested also in the Israels' allegation that Durst returned to Middlebury for one morning later in the '70s (was evidence moved that year, bringing a need to pin that, too, on Durst?) Police, like reporters and the town of Ripton itself, would have found upon scrutiny that there is no evidence for Durst being at the Miller camp; yet, police are heavily focused on that property. This smacks of a very strong witness statement or forensic evidence; perhaps evidence that can't be definitively connected to Schulze yet.

Yeah, I get that, it just seemed weird to me that the case wasn't publicized for a month, and even her family didn't know for a week, but someone (or up to 3 people) remembered such detail about seeing her - like what time it was and what she was eating.

I was thinking on this some more this morning.

There was an earlier sighting of her eating prunes outside the store, and standing at the bus stop across the street. Then there was the later sighting at the bus stop again, after the pen incident. One of the times she was at the bus stop, she reportedly said she was going to New York and missed the bus.

I don't think that someone driving by in a car could have made out what she was eating, and she probably didn't yell to someone in a car that she was going to New York. These sightings much more likely came from someone, or different people on foot.

Being that nobody really knew about her disappearance until at least a week later, I find it odd that different people would remember such details

I am now thinking it's likely that it was Durst who reported the sightings. He would probably have been there through all three sightings, and would have known what she was eating because she'd just bought it from him. He could see her at the bus stop both times by looking out a front window or door.

This could explain why he wasn't questioned, he may have just volunteered the sighting info.

I agree that these cases often weren't investigated thoroughly but I would still think that a month later, when they took it seriously enough to put an article in the paper, that they would have at least checked out her last known sighting.

Not sure how she could be the Jane Doe found in Manhattan because the time of death was sometime after 1988, according to Doe. That's approximately 17 years after Kathy went missing. Not improbable, but they also believe the JD may have been a prostitute. I suppose she could have gone to NYC and fallen on hard times, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/337ufny.html

Not sure how she could be the Jane Doe found in Manhattan because the time of death was sometime after 1988, according to Doe. That's approximately 17 years after Kathy went missing. Not improbable, but they also believe the JD may have been a prostitute. I suppose she could have gone to NYC and fallen on hard times, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/337ufny.html

Well, yeah, but a well-to-do girl who had fallen on hard times is pretty much the profile of the victim.

I don't necessarily think it's her but thought that people here would be interested in it.

I definitely believe in pursuing any and all possible leads, especially after so many decades of no answers. As for the Schulzes being well-to-do...I guess relative to some citizens, that could of course be considered the case. There were five kids to feed, though, and Virginia worked (schoolteacher), both stateside and after the family moved to Iran. Still, Middlebury was an excellent college, and the remaining children did very well and ended up in high-achieving professions. Small wonder--Otto was brilliant, to put it mildly.

Ah, didn't realize Manhattan JD was 17-19 years at time of death in 1988; Lynne would have been 34 years old had she died in '88.

Ah, didn't realize Manhattan JD was 17-19 years at time of death in 1988; Lynne would have been 34 years old had she died in '88.
They originally thought the date of death could be as early as 1970, and Namus still lists that possibility.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

They originally thought the date of death could be as early as 1970, and Namus still lists that possibility.

Anything's possible, for sure. I still think the wise move is excavating the Robbins Cross property, exhaustively, for human remains. Police don't seem to have a body, but they DO seem to have a belief that Lynne met her end there, given that they brought the family there for closure several summers ago.

You could say perhaps they just received a tip that she was "last seen" there; but a simple sighting wouldn't justify bringing family members out to that specific property so they could stand, looking into those woods, for some kind of conclusion to the case.

It seems instead to indicate that they may have found SOME forensic evidence, but just not the (entire) body, or a witness came forward and stated flat out that s/he witnessed Lynne's death there (but police cannot yet find the body).

I think the body may have been moved in 1976 when Durst allegedly "stopped by for breakfast," thus laying the groundwork for people to believe that whatever happened to the body in '76 can--again--be conveniently pinned on Durst.

Keep in mind that police know what the town clerk (and the former landlord) knows: Durst never lived at Robbins Cross. Official interest in Robbins Cross, nonetheless, is clear--but it doesn't apparently have anything to do with Durst.

It would behoove us now to cross reference that property both with the summer of 1976, and the summer the family was brought there. 1976 so we can see whether some new buyer was, for example, threatening to dig the place up for some purpose (new buildings, farming) and it was feared the body would be discovered, so whoever put it there, moved it.

And we need to cross reference the family's summer trip there to see if there's any indication of police searching the property that year (or sometime prior), and then calling the family in, having quietly found something.

What sticks in my mind is the police apologizing to the family for not searching the property (well, that area of the woods) thoroughly in 1971-2.

Totally don't disagree with you about most of that.

I wonder if the NYC body could have been moved from a different location?

Could have been moved, certainly - but something on that property has certain people focused (and others nervous), it seems.

In continued hopes of improving accuracy around this case, please note again that Lynne was 17, not 18, at the time of her disappearance.

Thank you, all, for caring about Lynne and keeping her case alive!

The Doe Network:
Case File 1582DFVT

LKSchulze.jpg
LKSchulze1.jpg
LKSchulze2.jpg

Schulze, circa 1971

Lynne Kathryn Schulze
Missing since December 10, 1971 from Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: 1953
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5’3”; 115 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Severe acne on face at time of disappearance.
    • Clothing: Blue jeans, brown ski parka and maroon pullover sweater.
    • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Schulze was last seen at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont on December 10, 1971.
She headed across campus to take an exam when, friends said, she turned around and went back to retrieve a pencil from her dorm room.
Other than a report that she allegedly was spotted walking along U.S. 7 south of Middlebury later that day, she was never seen again. She left behind all her clothes and her wallet.
Lynne and a group of her friends got together one weekend in the fall of 1971, for a Leon Russell concert in New Hampshire. After the concert, the group all all piled into a dorm room and talked all the way into the morning. One of her friends talked about a fantasy he had--of faking his own death and starting over, somewhere else, all by himself. Lynne said she'd been feeling that way herself.
In truth, the friend never really intended to follow through with his plan. "The truth is, it was only talk. We were just two scared, lonely kids talking our way through the night. Or so I thought."
But in December, Lynne Schulze left her dorm at Middlebury College and headed off to class. Then she disappeared from the face of the earth. There is no suspect information, however, her disappearance is considered suspicious.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Middlebury Police Department
Officer Vegar Boe
802-388-3191
Email

NCIC Number:
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Vermont State Police

Motorcyclist Online
Burlington Free Press - 10/30/05

Last Updated on: November 13, 2005
Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

I just found about Lynne’s disappearance a few months ago while looking through Vermont’s missing Persons list. At first I looked at her and thought she might have been a victim of Ted Bundy but then remembered Ted Bundy did not have a single recorded victim in that general area of the United States. When I read about the link to Robert durst I didn’t think of him as a sociopathic killer but then I read about the disappearance of his wife kathleen who vanished 11 years after Lynne. As said many times it is also likely she left on her accord to start a new life. This case reminds me so much of the disappearance of Paula Jean Welden.

I was thinking something similar about Ted Bundy. I haven't been able to confirm when, but I read he was in Vermont at some point, and he started killing shortly after he left New England. Not sure I would rule him out totally unless someone knows the exact time frame he was in VT.

Yea you are right. It is also likely Ted Bundy started killing when he was just 14 years old. Circumstantial evidence shows that he kidnapped and murdered 8 year old Ann Marie burr in Tacoma Washington in 1961. He could have more victims.

yes It could definitely be possible that Bundy killed in the early 70s. In 1989 he confessed to killing two girls in Oregon in 1973. Rita jolly and Vicki Hollar vanished in Oregon in 1973 and their remains have never been found. They are still listed as missing. Thank you for that pics of the puzzle!

Does anyone else think Ted Bundy May have been involved in Lynne’s disappearance? I don’t think that Robert first killed her because he seems to only kill when a fight ensues or when he feels it’s important. One situation that the “important” is used in is when Robert killed Susan Berman. He killed her because she may have held vital clues to the disappearance of his wife Kathleen Durst. He seemed to only kill people he was ascossiated with. He never killed people who he didn’t know. That is my theory. I think Ted Bundy May have kidnapped Lynne and killed her.

Does anyone else think Ted Bundy May have been involved in Lynne’s disappearance? I don’t think that Robert first killed her because he seems to only kill when a fight ensues or when he feels it’s important. One situation that the “important” is used in is when Robert killed Susan Berman. He killed her because she may have held vital clues to the disappearance of his wife Kathleen Durst. He seemed to only kill people he was ascossiated with. He never killed people who he didn’t know. That is my theory. I think Ted Bundy May have kidnapped Lynne and killed her.

Good question, until you brought it up I had not really considered Ted as being the one who abducted Lynne. On the other hand, it sounds like he was in Vermont during the summer of 1971.

Here is a link to an article that suggests he should be looked at regarding the 1971 murder of a Burlington, Vt woman, Rita Curran. The article places Ted in Vermont in 1971. So maybe he should be considered for Lynne.

Police: Modern tools help in 1971 unsolved killing

"For a time, investigators thought Curran could have been a victim of the notorious serial killer Ted Bundy, who was born in Burlington and was known to be in the area the summer Curran was killed. But Vermont investigators spoke with him before his 1989 execution in Florida and discarded him as a suspect, Leahy said."

Last edited:
Lynne resembles Ted Bundy's other victims, IHMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Before.the.dawn
Back