VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Assuming the witness statements are reliable then the chances of him not being involve are astronomical. Sounds like the police were very interested in him years ago but they did not have enough evidence to arrest him. According to witnesses Lynne was standing at the bus station in full view of Durst's store and sounds like she even bought pruns from his store and so Durst would mostly likely have interacted with Lynne. So this begs the question "if Durst didn't have anything to do with her disappearance then why didn't he come forward as a first hand witness at the time? That's circumstantial evidence right there. Durst may have even killed his wife, best friend and neighbour later on to cover up because he had let things slipout to them about his past crimes and so they knew too much.

Killing probably got easier for him each and every time. He got away with it, so he knew he could do it again. And again. The only real questions are: How many others were there? And was Lynne one of his victims?

Knowing how far from the actual murder locations his victims were found, might be a clue as to where Lynne's body might have been placed.

Killing probably got easier for him each and every time. He got away with it, so he knew he could do it again. And again. The only real questions are: How many others were there? And was Lynne one of his victims?

Knowing how far from the actual murder locations his victims were found, might be a clue as to where Lynne's body might have been placed.
Yes definitely. Anyone capable of killing and cutting up a body has most likely done it before. I wonder if they ever searched his old properties with cadaver dogs, dug them up. Even the "All Good things" store. Did they get that searched properly and the surrounding wooded areas in Middlebury.

Assuming the witness statements are reliable then the chances of him not being involve are astronomical. Sounds like the police were very interested in him years ago but they did not have enough evidence to arrest him. According to witnesses Lynne was standing at the bus station in full view of Durst's store and sounds like she even bought pruns from his store and so Durst would mostly likely have interacted with Lynne. So this begs the question "if Durst didn't have anything to do with her disappearance then why didn't he come forward as a first hand witness at the time? That's circumstantial evidence right there. Durst may have even killed his wife, best friend and neighbour later on to cover up because he had let things slipout to them about his past crimes and so they knew too much.
I’ve always believed he killed Kathleen in 1982 because she knew what he had done to Lynne years earlier and maybe threatened to tell the police. She would’ve been the same age as Lynne so I have wondered if maybe Lynne and Kathy interacted before her disappearance in 1971.

I’ve always believed he killed Kathleen in 1982 because she knew what he had done to Lynne years earlier and maybe threatened to tell the police. She would’ve been the same age as Lynne so I have wondered if maybe Lynne and Kathy interacted before her disappearance in 1971.
From what i've read Kathleen Durst disappeared on the night of Jan. 31, 1982, following an argument with her husband Richard Durst. It could be that the argument was related to Lynne and so he killed her to stop her from telling anyone or going to the police. Wow, that's interesting, because I'm still fairly new to this case I didn't realised Kathleen was much younger than Durst 28 and that she was still a teenager, a similar age to Lynne at the time. I wonder if "All good things" was a health store that Lynne visited regularly, a hangout, she may have befriended Kathleen with Durst ever present. Then one day she goes there, but Kathleen is not around. Only Durst. She buys prunes from Durst and mentions she wants a break from college, as she missed her final exam, but wants to travel to Newyork. Durst may of even offered her a ride, but he had others plans and used the situation to take advantage of Lynne. This is just a theory of course.

Last edited:
From what i've read Kathleen Durst disappeared on the night of Jan. 31, 1982, following an argument with her husband Richard Durst. It could be that the argument was related to Lynne and so he killed her to stop her from telling anyone or going to the police. Wow, that's interesting, because I'm still fairly new to this case I didn't realised Kathleen was much younger than Durst 28 and that she was still a teenager, a similar age to Lynne at the time. I wonder if "All good things" was a health store that Lynne visited regularly, a hangout, she may have befriended Kathleen with Durst ever present. Then one day she goes there, but Kathleen is not around. Only Durst. She buys prunes from Durst and mentions she wants a break from college, as she missed her final exam, but wants to travel to Newyork. Durst may of even offered her a ride, but he had others plans and used the situation to take advantage of Lynne. This is just a theory of course.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I believe Lynne may have been friends with Kathy.

I read all these pages since I couldn't sleep and thought of another angle. It seems she missed the bus to NYC earlier that day so we know she definitely wanted to leave. The timeline says she's goes back to the dorm and then is back by the store and bus stop again later. Was there a 2nd bus to NYC she could have gotten on or did she maybe meet someone who knew she missed the bus and offered her a ride? If she had planned on getting on that first bus, she definitely had plans of splitting. How far was her CT home from NYC? It's almost Christmas break time.

We also had a ride board in our dorms so people could catch rides home/to other places with fellow students. Don't know how common that was on other campuses, or how far back the tradition goes, but could Kathy have missed the bus, and then made arrangements to ride along with another student?

One of my HS classmates met his wife at college through a ride share board, he was going her way, lol

We also had a ride board in our dorms so people could catch rides home/to other places with fellow students. Don't know how common that was on other campuses, or how far back the tradition goes, but could Kathy have missed the bus, and then made arrangements to ride along with another student?

One of my HS classmates met his wife at college through a ride share board, he was going her way, lol

From the accounts I read, she left behind her other clothing, shoes, etc. in her dorm room. I've always assumed that if she planned to run away, take a trip to NY or whatever, she would have taken some extra clothing.

From the accounts I read, she left behind her other clothing, shoes, etc. in her dorm room. I've always assumed that if she planned to run away, take a trip to NY or whatever, she would have taken some extra clothing.

Of course, we don't have much to go on here, besides possibly conflicting stories and speculation. But your point about her leaving behind important things usually packed for even a short trip does open the door to further questions.

If Lynne was actually waiting for a bus to depart the campus area, why did she not have a bag packed - either at the bus stop, or in her room? Certainly if her plan was to leave later in the afternoon, she had time to retrieve and pack some things.

It would seem that she was worried about something other than her exams. Could it be that she was waiting for a bus only to obtain a bus schedule in order to plan a trip for later? Or to enquire about fares and tickets? Certainly if she had known the bus schedule, she would already have purchased a ticket and known exactly when to wait for the bus.

It is a BIG coincidence that she was in the immediate vicinity of serial killer Robert Durst's store twice on the day she went missing.

Serial killer Richard Durst is a suspect in the disappearance of Lynne Schulze on Dec 10, 1971 and below is Richard Durst's health food store campus advertisment for O.M. Health Foods aka "All Good Things" dated 1 day before and 2 months after Lynne's disappearance. The store next to where Lynne was last seen.

Also, interesting how Richard Durst changed the name of the health store just after Lynne disappeared.

Middlebury-Campus-December,9-1971-p-9.png

Middlebury Campus,Middlebury, Vermont​

Thu, Dec 9, 1971 – Page 9

Middlebury-Campus-February,24-1972-p-11.png

Middlebury Campus, Middlebury, Vermont​

Thu, Feb 24, 1972 – Page 11

Last edited:
Haha, you are right of course. Sometimes I wish I didn't post at night when I should be asleep...zzz:rolleyes:
We've all done it.

JMO, but I've always wondered what a wealthy, ambitious young guy who was part of a big family business empire was doing running a very small health food store in the town of Middlebury,VT. It seems very odd. He didn't need the money from running the store. JMO, it was a place to troll for victims.

We've all done it.

JMO, but I've always wondered what a wealthy, ambitious young guy who was part of a big family business empire was doing running a very small health food store in the town of Middlebury,VT. It seems very odd. He didn't need the money from running the store. JMO, it was a place to troll for victims.
Great points. I also wonder if he sold more than "health foods" in his store. It was the early 70s after all. According to the Jinx documentary Robert Durst was a bit of a weed head. Maybe he was selling illicits to the local youths, letting them get high in his store "All Good Things", and began taking advantage of some of them. I always wonder what the $30 Lynne took with her was for. Maybe she felt bad after missing her exam and went to buy something at Durst's store to cheer herself up and that's when Durst took advantage. Just a theory though.

It is a very likely possibility that Durst did indeed cause Lynne's "disappearance". Especially in light of later revelations such as the disappearance of his wife and his murder of another woman.

Knowing what land or property he owned or frequented might suggest places to look for her body.

Great points. I also wonder if he sold more than "health foods" in his store. It was the early 70s after all. According to the Jinx documentary Robert Durst was a bit of a weed head. Maybe he was selling illicits to the local youths, letting them get high in his store "All Good Things", and began taking advantage of some of them. I always wonder what the $30 Lynne took with her was for. Maybe she felt bad after missing her exam and went to buy something at Durst's store to cheer herself up and that's when Durst took advantage. Just a theory though.
Good point about “other things” being sold at the health food stores. Growing up in the 70s Heath food stores, ice cream trucks owned by young guys, and head shops had a bit of a “reputation.” There was merchandise in the front and there was “merchandise” in the back or upon request.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRANNYINVESTIGATES
Back